Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 200817 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #840 on: March 10, 2015, 02:49:02 PM »
Sri Bhagavan, being asthmatic, is hoarse in throat. Oranges were brought as offerings.Pieces were distributed as usual.
Sri Bhagavan was clearing His throat and was obliged to spit out the orange in His mouth. He said that He had to spit
it out. A gentleman said:'Probably it does not suit Sri Bhagavan's health.'

Maharshi: Would you say so if you had brought the fruits, instead of the other person?

Talks 330.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 11, 2015, 09:04:02 AM »
Fully convinced that he who had blessed him was no other than Isvara Himself, Manikkavachagar was stricken with unbearable
grief and fell on the ground weeping and saying, 'O my Lord! Why did you go away leaving me here?'

The villagers were very much surprised at this and began a search for the person who was till when working in their village
as a school teacher but could not find him anywhere.  Then they realized that it was the Lord's leela. Sometime later, Manikkavachagar
got over his grief, decided to act according to the injunctions of Isvara, sent away his retinue to Madurai, spent all the gold with
him on the temple and stayed there alone.

Hearing all that had happened, the king immediately sent an order to Manikkavachagar to return to Madurai. But how could he go
to the king without the horses?  If he wanted to purchase them then, where was the money?  Not knowing what to do, he prayed
to Siva for help.  That night Lord Siva appeared to him in a dream, gave him a priceless gem and said: 'Give this to the king and
tell him the horses will come on the  day of the Moola star in the month of Sravana,'  (aavani moolam).

Startled at that vision he opened his eyes but the Lord was not there.  Maniikkavachagar was however overjoyed at what had
happened. He put on his official dress and went to Madurai.  He gave the gem to the king,discussed the auspicious time when
the horses would be arriving and then was anxiously waiting for the day.  He did not however resume his official duties. Though
his body was in Madurai, his mind was in Tirupperundurai.  He was merely biding his time.

The Pandyan king, however, sent his spies to Perundurai and found out that there were no horses there meant for the king
and that all the money meant for their purchase had been spent in the renovation of the temple.  So he immediately  put
Manikkavachagar in prison, making him undergo all trials and tribulations of jail life

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 11, 2015, 12:07:15 PM »
Bhagavan continues:

Meanwhile, as originally arranged, on the day of Moola Star, Isvara assumed the guise of a horseman, transformed the jackals
of the jungle into horses, and brought them to the king. The king was astonished at this, took delivery of the horses and according
to the advice of the keeper of the stables, had them tied up at the same place where all his other horses were kept.  He thanked
the horseman profusely, and after sending him away with several presents, released Manikkavachagar from jail with profuse
apologies.

The same night the new horses changed their real forms, killed all the horses in the stables, ate them, created similar havoc
in the city, and fled. The king grew very angry, branded Manikkavachagar as a trickster and put him back in jail. Soon, in
accordance with Isvara's orders, the waters of the River Vaigai rose in floods and the whole of the city of Madurai was under
water. Alarmed at that, the king assembled all the people and ordered them to rise the bunds of the river.  For the purpose,
he ordered that every citizen should do a certain amount of work with a threat of dire consequences should he fail to do this
allotted work.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 11, 2015, 12:16:30 PM »
This is how Saint Manikkavachagar describes the great magic done by Tirupperundurai Siva:

நரியைக் குதிரைப் பரியாக்கி ஞால மெல்லாம் நிகழ்வித்துப்
பெரிய தென்னன் மதுரையெல்லாம் பிச்ச தேற்றும் பெருந்துறையாய்
அரிய பொருளே அவிநாசி அப்பா பாண்டி வெள்ளமே
தெரிய அரிய பரஞ்சோதி செய்வ தொன்றும் அறியேனே.

You transformed the jackals into horses and did great magic.  You made the great Southern King (Pandyan) and his city
of Madurai go mad. O  Lord of Perundurai! O the Rare Substance!  O the one who removes all ignorance, the flood tide of
Pandya Kingdom!  O the Lord who is unattainable Light!  I do not know what to do!

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 11, 2015, 02:34:05 PM »
Bhagavan continues...

There was in Madurai, an old woman by name, Pittuvani Ammaiyar. She was a pious devotee of Lord Siva. She was living alone
earning her livelihood by daily preparing and selling Pittu (sweetened powdered rice pressed into conical shapes). She had no
one to do her allotted work on the river bund nor had she the money to hire a person to do it.  She was therefore greatly
worried and cried, 'Isvara,what shall I do?'

Seeing her helplessness, Isvara came there in the guise of a cooly with a spade on His shoulder and called out, 'Granny, granny,
do you want a cooly?'

'Yes',  she said,'but I don't have even a paise in my hand to pay you. What to do?'

He said,'I do not want any money and would be satisfied if you give me some portion of Pittu to eat.  I shall then do the
allotted work on the river bund.'

Though Siva volunteered to do the work and took payment (in the form of pittu) in advance, He did not seem inclined to
contribute much to the anti-flooding project.

Bhagavan narrates what happened next:

Pleased with that offer, she began making pittu but they did not come out in the full shape but were broken. Surprised
at this she gave  all the bits to the cooly. He ate as many of them as He could and went away, saying that He would
attend to the bund raising work.  Surprisingly, the dough with the old woman remained intact even though she had
prepared and given bits of pittu to the cooly.The cooly went to the work spot but instead of doing the work,lay down
there idly, standing in the way of others doing their work.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 11, 2015, 02:38:32 PM »
Saint Manikkavachagar mentions the above part of the story, in his Tiruk kazhuk kunRap Padigam:
(Tiruvachakam, 30. 2)

பிட்டுநேர்பட மண்சுமந்த பெருந் துறைப்பெரும் பித்தனே
சட்டநேர்பட வந்திலா சழக்கனேன் உனைச் சார்ந்திலேன்
சிட்டனே சிவலோகனேசிறு நாயினுங்கடையாய வெங்
கட்டனேனையும் ஆட்கொள்வான்வந்து காட்டினாய் கழுக்குன்றிலே. 469

Against the wages of pittu, you carried the sand (for the bund work) O the Mad Lord of Perundurai!

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 12, 2015, 10:45:15 AM »
Bhagavan continues....

The king went round to inspect the progress of the work and found that the portion allotted to Ammaiyar remained
unattended to.  On inquiry, his servants told him all pranks of that cooly.

The king got infuriated, called the cooly and said, 'Instead of doing the allotted work, you are lying and singing.'

So saying, he hit the cooly on the back with a cane he had in his hand. The blow recoiled not only on the king himself,
but on all living beings there and all of them suffered the pain on that account. The king immediately realized that the
person hit him was Parameswara himself in the guise of a cooly.The king stood aghast.

Parameswara vanished and soon a voice from the sky said,'O King!  Manikkavachagar is my beloved devotee. I myself
did all this to show you his greatness.  Seek his protection.'

Soon after hearing that voice, the king went to see Manikkavachagar and on the way he stepped into the house of
Pittuvani to see her. By that time she had already got into a vimanam (a heavenly chariot) and was on her way to
Kailash.The king was greatly surprised and saluted her and from there he went to straight to Manikkavachagar and fell
at his feet. Manikkavachagar lifted him with great respect and inquired of his welfare.

The king entreatingly said, 'Please forgive me and rule the kingdom yourself.'

Manikkavachagar, looking at the king, said with kindness, 'Appah! As I have already agreed to serve the Lord, I cannot
be bothered with the problems of ruling a kingdom. Please do not mistake me. Rule the kingdom,looking after the welfare
of the people. Henceforth, you will have nothing to worry about.'  So saying, smilingly he put on the dress of a sannyasin
and went about visiting holy places, singing praises of Siva.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 13, 2015, 08:17:19 AM »
Bhagavan continues...

He (Manikkavachagar) was going from one place to another until he came to Chidambaram.  While witnessing Nataraja's dance
he started singing heart melting songs and stayed in that place itself.  Then one day Nataraja with a view to making people
know the greatness of Manikkavachagar and to bless those people with such an excellent collection of hymns, went to the
house of Manikkavachagar in the night, in the guise of a brahmin.

He was received cordially and when asked for the purpose of his visit, the Lord smilingly and with great familiarity asked,
'It seems you have been singing hymns during your visit to the sacred places of pilgrimage and that you are doing it here
also. May I hear them? I have been thinking of coming  and listening to you for a very long time but could not find the
required leisure.  That is why I have come here at night. I suppose you don't mind. Can you sing?  Do you remember them
all?'

'There is no need to worry about sleep. I shall sing all the songs  I remember.  Please listen.'

So saying Manikkavachagar began singing in ecstasy. The Lord in the guise of a Brahmin sat down there writing the songs
on palm leaves.  As Manikkavachagar was in ecstasy he hardly noticed the brahmin who was taking down the songs.
Singing on and on he completely forgot himself in the thought of God and ultimately became silent. The old brahmin
quietly  disappeared.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 13, 2015, 08:34:14 AM »
Sri Bhagavan asked Mr.T.P. Ramachandra Iyer to read out a letter written by Mr. Subramaniya Iyer (Dindigul), a brother
of our Viswanatha Brahmachari. It gave an account of the grand way in which Bhagavan's Jayanti was celebrated at
Tiruchuzhi on the 21st instant.  Mr. Subramania Iyer was writing a letter to Mr.S. Doraiswamy Iyer, giving an account
of conversation between Georges Le Bot and Bhagavan. It was read out in the Hall for the benefit of all assembled.
I also read out the account of the same happening recorded in the diary.

A visitor asked if he could do both pranayama and dhyana. Sri  Bhagavan said, 'One is a help to the other.Whether
one need do pranayama depends on one's pakva or fitness.'

Day by Day. 24.12.1945.

Arunachala Siva.           

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 14, 2015, 12:32:19 AM »
In the early 1920s there was a big mango tree near Pali Thirtham. Chinna Swami was also in the Asramam, although he had not yet taken charge of the management. Dhandapani Swami, a huge figure, was another Asramam inmate. Chinna Swami and Dhandapani Swami did not like each other. One night Dhandapani Swami wanted to settle scores with Chinna Swami, so he seized Chinna Swami to crush him. Bhagavan appeared on the scene and slapped the back of Dhandapani Swami, who immediately put Chinna Swami down. No words were spoken and each retired to his place of rest. Later DhandaPani Swami described the slap as 'terrific'.
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 14, 2015, 09:16:09 AM »
Bhagavan continues.....

At day break the dikshita (priest) came to Nataraja temple as usual to perform the morning puja and as he opened the doors,
he found in front of the Nataraja image on the door step a palm leaf book.  When the book was opened and scrutinized there
were in it not only the words 'Tiruvachakam' it was also written that the book was written as it  was dictated by Manikkavachagar.
It was signed below 'Tiruch chitrambalam Udaiyan, the owner of Chidambaram'.  The stamp of Sri Nataraja was also there below
the signature. Thereupon all the temple priests gathered in great surprise and sent word to Manikkavachagar, showed him the
Tiruvachakam and the signature of Nataraja and asked him to tell them about the meaning of the hymns.

Manikkavachagar did not say anything but asked them to accompany him, went to the temple of Nataraja and standing
opposite to the Lord said, 'Sirs, the Lord in front of us is the only answer to your question.  He is the answer.'

After having said that he merged into the Lord.

(Bhagavan as He was narrating the story, His voice was choked with emotion and at the end, unable to speak any more,
He remained in ecstatic silence.')

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 14, 2015, 09:21:30 AM »
Siva Puranam - the first long verse of Tiruvachakam in English translation:

Lines 1-5:

Salutation:

Long live (the mantra) Nama Sivaya!  Long live the feet of the Master!
Long live the feet that never even for an eye's blink, leave my Heart!
Long live the jewel among the gurus, who in Kokazhi bent me to His rule!
Long live the feet of Him who as the Agamas sweetly dwells!
Long live the holy feet of the One, the Many, the Being Supreme!

Kokazhi means great port, a reference to Tiruperundurai, where Manikkavachagar first encountered Siva.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 15, 2015, 12:23:59 PM »
Bhagavan spoke about the way in which in the old days,  He used to climb to the peak of Arunachala at anytime He felt like it,
and that by any route  or even no route.  He said only the grass cutters knew some of the routes He used.  'Sometimes
people would come from Madras and other parts and,setting out to reach the top of the Hill, would stray near Skandasramam.
Finding me seated there, they would ask me for the route to the Hill top.When I told them the route was to their right and turned
northward, some would say, 'Do you know who we are and whence we come?  We  are from Madras. None of your tricks with
us. The top is there straight above us and you want us to lead us astray.' I used to keep quiet. They would try to climb in a
straight line, and after a long time, they would return tired out, finding that all their efforts to reach the peak were in vain.Nearing
me, they would bow their heads in shame and go away, avoiding me.'

Day by Day 24.11.1945.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 15, 2015, 12:52:04 PM »
Lines  1-5 of Siva Puranam in original Tamizh:

1. சிவபுராணம்

(திருப்பெருந்துறையில் அருளியது
தற்சிறப்புப் பாயிரம்)

நமச்சிவாய வாஅழ்க நாதன் தாள் வாழ்க
இமைப்பொழுதும் என் நெஞ்சில் நீங்காதான் தாள் வாழ்க
கோகழி ஆண்ட குருமணிதன் தாள் வாழ்க
ஆகமம் ஆகிநின்று அண்ணிப்பான் தாள் வாழ்க
ஏகன் அநேகன் இறைவன் அடிவாழ்க 5

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 15, 2015, 12:57:59 PM »
Lines 6-10 of Tiruvachakam, as translated by David Godman and others:

Victory to the feet of the king,
who destroyed my rising ego and made me His!
Victory to the jewelled anklets of Pinjnakan*
who cuts off birth and death!
Victory to the lotus feet
that are far from those who remain apart from Him!
Victory to the king
who rejoices amidst those who join their hands in prayer!
Victory to the feet of Him
Who nobly raises up those whose heads bow low!

*Pinjnakan means Siva who wears the unique components in His hair: the Ganga, the crescent moon and snake
that is hidden in the matted locks.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.