Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 200854 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #825 on: February 12, 2015, 12:45:42 PM »
The New Year 1948, began for me in the Asramam, with a serious illness. During a visit to Skandasramam I had a sudden
attack of diarrhoea which confined me to bed in the guest room.  As I used to spend most of my time in the Hall, Sri
Bhagavan noticed my absence on the first day itself and He sent word that I should take medicine immediately and avoid
the fruit juice usually prescribed by allopathic doctors.  On the third day, in the early morning, He Himself came to the guest
room and inquired 'How are you?'I was thrilled and overwhelmed by Sri Bhagavan's gracious condescension.  That morning
Sarvadhikari called me and administered a dose of Ayassinduram of which he had a stock. He also insisted me to take a little
rice meal. Thereafter I recovered rapidly. But that night Bhagavan vomited at dinner and fell ill, as though He had taken my
sickness on to Himself.

G.V. Subbaramayya Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #826 on: February 12, 2015, 02:28:49 PM »
On Jan.4, 1948, I returned from Asramam with great anxiety about Sri Bhagavan's health.  On Jan.9, 1948, Balarama Reddy
wrote from the Asramam saying,'His cold is gone and He is looking normal. But I continued to hear alarming reports of deterioration
in Sri Bhagavan's health and made anxious inquiries. On 23rd I had letter from the Asramam from Sri R. Naryana Iyer and from
Nagamma all reassuring me about Sri Bhagavan's recovery. Sri Narayana Iyer wrote:

I showed your card to Sri Bhagavan.  As He was reading it, He commented: 'Then I was not eating well.Now I am eating like
a glutton.  How much better I should be considered!' From this you can draw your own inference.  His health has not been good
for nearly a year.  His hands and legs are thin.... People who have not seen Him for a year or so get alarming reports and spread
their negative thoughts.  This is not desirable.'

G.V.Subbaramaya Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #827 on: February 13, 2015, 09:56:29 AM »
Without any satisfaction or happiness in life, we approach a Guru. When the Guru gazes at us we find peace. He
becomes our Refuge and the medicine for all our mental illnesses, like restlessness,misery etc., Sri Bhagavan
says:Be still  and know that I am God. This is the word of Truth.  To implement this, we should ever understand
and contemplate His teachings.  Slowly the doership and enjoyership will fade away. Our true nature would be
revealed to us. We no longer get affected by sufferings and pleasures.

Rajasa and Tamasa characteristics cause misery and happiness.  Over a period of time, we ignore these and
attain Sattvic characteristics, one should leave the body consciousness and mental oscillations.

T.K. Sundaresa Iyer - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #828 on: February 13, 2015, 11:03:25 AM »
On 3.1.1939, at late evening, one devotee asked Sri Bhagavan:  Since I have a lot of work to do, sometimes I forget to do
dhyana. If I forget like this how can I improve?

Sri Bhagavan: It does not matter. Jnana cannot be attained on a single day.  Samskaras will go away only in course of time.
If you think that I forgot to do dhyana at 4 am. Then at 3.30 am next morning it will be remembered. On the third day you
will remember it even at 3.00 am.Once you remember it,  in due course, you will not forget dhyana and you will be encouraged
to do it in time. The purpose of dhyana is to remove the thoughts that I have done this, I have not done this. Then such a
situation (that is, removal of thought I have done this, I have not done this) will itself make all actions as dhyana.Thereafter
you shall never never forget dhayana.

Devotee: Should I have done some punyas in my previous births?

Sri Bhagavan: Aha! If those are not there,will such thoughts come to your mind?

Annamalai Swami - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #829 on: February 13, 2015, 11:28:33 AM »
On 9.2.1939, a devotee asked Sri Bhagavan:  It is my fate that I have to go on touring in my work.  What shall I do?

Sri Bhagavan: What is there to be miserable about it? One's whole life time is a great tour in the world.  Please be calm.

Annamalai Swami - Reminscences.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: February 13, 2015, 12:20:35 PM »
On 27.2.1939, Sri Bhagavan asked Madhava Swami, the attendant whether he had kept the note book wherein He had written
Malayalam version of Nan Yar? He further said: Madhava! Keep the note book safe and let us see when the time comes.

Sri Bhagavan thus expected everything to happen (printing of the Malayalam version) at the time fixed.

Annamalai Swami: Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #831 on: February 13, 2015, 12:35:13 PM »
About this time, (1948?) my daughter Indira was suffering from whooping cough and when I wrote about it, the Asramam
replied on March 17,as follows:

'We hope by Sri Bhagavan's grace,Indira is improving in health.All is real and all is unreal.And God has made man to reconcile
the paradox in life. A hard task master is He, which is also both real and unreal. 

On March, 30, my friend R.Narayana Iyer wrote inquiring when I would come to the Asramam.  He said:

'Nowadays, it is all very silent and we don't have soul stirring talks we used to have in your company.We all look forward
to your arrival eagerly. Sri Bhagavan has got over the illness...but It is very weak.'

On the Telugu New Year Day, which fell on the 5th of April, I was presented with Rs 16 by Sri T. Rami Reddy,a fellow
devotee and a munificent person of learning, and I made over the amount to the Asramam. Even as Fortune was
crowning me with this honor, disaster was lurking round the corner. Indira was laid up with small pox for two weeks
and on April 13,the Jayanti Day of Sri Rama she shuffled off the mortal coil and attained the lotus feet of the Lord.

G.V.Subbaramayya Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: February 14, 2015, 09:29:09 AM »
On May 15, the Asramam presenting me Andhra Ramana Gita, wrote:

'By a separate post we have sent a copy of the Andhra Ramana Gita by Sri Nadu Naganaraya Kavi whose manuscript
you read and corrected diligently some years back.Only a hundred copies are printed, mainly due to scarcity of paper
and also for the reason that we have besides original slokas, and their translation in Telugu,the excellent translation
that you had given in Telugu verses. We hope by Sri  Bhagavan's grace, you are able to find peace of mind.  May His
abundant grace flow to you that you may find peace.'

G.V.Subbaramayya Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 14, 2015, 09:37:52 AM »
On 28.2.1939, a lame Brahmin aged about 40 years, asked Sri Bhagavan: O Bhagavan! I am having misery throughout my
janma. Is is due to the sins of mine in previous birth?  Even when I was in my mother's womb, my mother is said to have
suffered a lot. How these sins and miseries had come to me?

Sri Bhagavan: One should only say that it is due to poorva karma and papa. If you think of these, then you will think
of previous birth.  By not thinking about all these, find out how this present janma came? If the body is there let it
ask this question.  Even to think of your misery is only a thought. Like happiness comes and goes, misery also comes
and goes.  Be ever in Sukam, happiness.  That is only a permanent thing.

Annamalai Swami - Reminscences.

Arunachala Siva,     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 14, 2015, 09:47:31 AM »
On July 23, 1943, the Asramam sent me an article on Sri Bhagavan by Mme. Hiddinghe to rendered in Telugu and wrote
as follows:

It will do if the translation is completed in about two weeks.  Those who cannot read English will get the benefit of the
study by the French lady. There seems to be no other alternative than to take life as unreal as a dream, and having that
understanding one has to develop perfect equanimity. This is really a superhuman task which with Sri Bhagavan's
grace alone can help His devotees to accomplish. May it be so accomplished!

G.V. Subbaramayya Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.   

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 19, 2015, 11:47:30 PM »
Early Days at Ramanasramam

HOW BHAGAVAN CAME TO STAY PERMANENTLY AT RAMANASRAMAM

Bhagavan was so completely merged in the Supreme Power that it is hard to speak of his having any will or individual nature left to submit, and yet insofar as human life does demand occasional decisions, he was absolutely submitted to the Divine Will. A good example of this is to be seen in the founding of his Asramam at the foot of the Hill.

At another time this is what he said about his coming down and staying permanently at the foot of the Hill: "After Mother's death I used to come now and then to the Samadhi and return to Skandasramam. One day about six months after Mother's death, I went there on one such visit and after sitting there for some time, wanted to get up and go back. However something told me I should not go back but stay on there. It was as if my legs refused to get up. And I stayed on. That is how this Asramam began. Who knew then that all this would grow up?" Bhagavan was the supreme example of one who completely surrendered to the Divine Will and was like a straw carried about wherever the divine current thought fit to bear it.

"Dhandapani Swami was here long back. At that time the method of cooking itself was different. A big vessel used to be put on the fire. Whatever vegetables were received till noon used to be cut and put into it, boiled and sambar made. There was no ladle even to stir and mix them. We used to take a piece of firewood, chisel it and use it for stirring those vegetables in the vessel. That preparation was the only side dish. When we mixed it with rice and ate it, it used to be very tasty. The labour also was comparatively less. After cooking in the Asramam grew in size, cooks had to be appointed. They used to consult me in the early  Arunachala's Ramana days about what to cook. I used to ask them, 'Do you have rice?' and their reply was, 'Yes'. 'Do you have water?"Yes'. 'Do you have salt?"Yes'. 'Do you have pickles?' Yes."Buttermilk?' `Yes.' If so, what else do you want?' I used to say. After that, they ceased to ask me and now they merely tell me, 'We will cook this and we will cook that,' and I say, 'Yes, yes.' I also advise them suitably. What do I lose? I do not, however, give up my own custom of mixing all the side dishes into one before taking them. When several people gather together, they must have their way. Why should they suffer on my account?

"When I was on the Hill, a woman and her husband used to come to me. She used to bring me something to eat now and then. After her husband passed away, she lived with her brother. Even he passed away. As her brother's sons did not look after her properly and turned her out, she has been staying somewhere else and has been living by selling dosais it seems. It is she that had a platform constructed near Mother's Samadhi where I used to sit and had it covered by palm leaves. Till then, I used to sit under a tree. 'Aye! Swami is sitting on the floor and is exposed to the sun!' So saying, she got the platform built.

"Even after we came down here we still used to make kanji. At first there were a lot of men working on the premises, clearing it of cactus and levelling it, and we used to prepare a midday meal for them in addition to their wages. For them and us together we used to prepare only two dishes; a huge pot of kanji and another of all the vegetables we happened to have on hand. You can imagine the quantity when I tell you that the ladle we stirred it with was the branch of a tree. In those days I used to do all the grinding for the cooking. Once I made uppuma out of keeraithandu, stalk of spinach. Somebody had brought a whole sack of keeraithandu and we cut the whole lot up into small bits. There were seven or eight measures of it. I added one measure of ravai, semolina to it and boiled the whole lot well and made uppuma out of it. Everyone enjoyed it as uppuma made of ravai, but when I told them how it was really made, they were not so pleased. People always like something expensive." - Bhagavan.

from the Boundless ocean of Grace Vol II
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:03:14 AM by Balaji »
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 02, 2015, 01:17:12 PM »
One Mr.Embers (pseudo name) went to the Asramam in 1943.  I saw the Sage seated in the meditation hall and was simply
swallowed up by His benign Grace. This went on for three consecutive days. I had an urge within, that the Maharshi should
shower me with a verbal Blessing.  And I was fortunate enough on the fourth day to meet Him,when He was coming down
the Hill, with only one attendant accompanying Him. On seeing me He graciously stopped and looked into me.

In complete surrender I fell at His holy Feet. When I stood up, He spoke thus in Tamizh:

The forest has been set on fire.  It will burn out of its own accord.  No need to to worry here afterwards. I took it to mean the
fire of Grace will rout out the vasanas, the residual impressions based on outer seekings.

It is happening! 

From the Souvenir of the Centenary of the Advent.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 02, 2015, 03:26:06 PM »
By A.C.W.

In the centenary of the Advent of Sri Bhagavan, an article by the above:

One of the greatest aspects of the Asramam, is the utter freedom, visitors are given- if you like chanting and singing bhajans,
you may do so.  If you want to sit silently in the meditation hall all day, you may.  If you prefer to sit in the  library poring
over Bhagavan's literature,nobody will stop you.  If you wish to get up at odd hours of night to walk around the Hill, well go
ahead!  The other day I was talking to an elderly man from Delhi on a two month tour of Ashrams and pilgrim sites in
the  South.  I asked him how he was enjoying his stay in the Ashram.'O very much', he replied. 'I have enjoyed all places,
but here is the  best.Here they leave you alone!'  This sums up the unique quality of Sri Ramanasramam, and is also a
beautiful example of Bhagavan's approach in action -- each person is given all necessary space and support to find their
own path and to conduct their own inquiry.  In this way, a kind of spiritual maturity is fostered and a responsibility
for  one's own sadhana.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 05, 2015, 08:45:14 AM »
Sri Ramanananda (T.N. Venkataraman, former President of Sri Ramanasramam writes:

I was blessed with the very first upadesam of Sri Bhagavan when I was all of five years old. That was in 1920 at Skandashram.
A plate of fruit and sweets had been put aside for the monkey Nondi but when nobody was looking I went to the plate,
took a sweet and put it in my mouth.  All of a sudden a monkey appeared, limped towards me, slapped me and grabbed the plate.

My grand mother Azhagammal pleaded with Nondi not to harm me.  Then Bhagavan Ramana came into the room and said:
'This is a lesson for you. Now understand that we should not desire things which belong to others.'  I fully understood the
profound meaning of that upadesam long afterwards when I was President of Sri Ramanasramam.

Source: Mountain Path Jan Mar 2008.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 10, 2015, 10:49:11 AM »
This is not a story about Sri Bhagavan but the story of Saint Manikkavachagar as told by Sri Bhagavan to Suri Nagamma in
September 1947.  It also appears in Sri Ramana Puranam book by David Godman and others (English Translation of
Sri Ramana Puranam).  I have used the version in that book.

Manikkavachagar was born in a village called Vadavur (Vaatapuri) in Pandya Desha. Because of that people used to call him
Vaadavurar.  He was put to school very early. He read all the religious books, absorbed the lessons therein, and became noted
for his devotion to Siva as also His kindness to living beings. Having heard about him, the Pandya King sent for him and made him
his Prime Minister and conferred on him the title of Thennavan Brahmarayan i.e.premier among brahmins of the South.
Though he performed the duties of a minister with tact and integrity, he had no desire for material happiness. His mind was
always absorbed in spiritual matters.  Feeling convinced that for the attainment of Jnana the grace of a Guru was essential,
he kept on making inquiries about it.

Once the Pandya king ordered the minister to purchase some good horses and bring them to him. As he was already in
search of a Guru, Manikkavachagar felt that it was a good opportunity and started with his retinue carrying with him
the required amount of gold. As his mind was intensely seeking a Guru,he visited all the temples on the way.  While doing
so he reached a village called Tirupperundurai. Having realized the maturity of the mind of Manikkavachagar, Parameswara
assumed the form of a school teacher and for about a year before that had been teaching poor children in the village seated
on a street pial near the temple. He was taking his meal in the house of his pupils everyday by turn. He ate only cooked
green vegetables. He was anxiously awaiting the arrival of Manikkavachagar.  By the time Manikkavachagar actually came,
Iswara assumed the shape of a Siddha Purusha (realized soul) with many sannyasis around Him and was seated under a
kurundai tree (yellow amanth) within the compound of the temple.  Vadavurar came to the temple, had darshan of Lord
in it, and while going round the temple by way of pradakshina, saw the Siddha Purusha.  He was thrilled at the sight,
tears welled up in his eyes and his heart jumped with joy. Spontaneously his hands went up his head in salutation and he
fell down at the feet of the Guru like an uprooted tree.Then he got up and prayed that he, a humble being, may also be
accepted as a disciple.  Having come down solely to bestow His grace on him, Iswara, by His look, immediately gave  him
Jnana   Upadesa (initiation into true knowledge). That Upadesa took deep roots in his heart, and gave him indescribable
happiness. With folded hands and with joyful tears he went round the Guru  by way of pradakshina, offered salutations,
stripped himself of all official dress and ornaments, placed them near the Guru and stood before Him with only a koupina
on. As he felt like singing in praise of the Guru, he sang some devotional songs which were like gems. Iswara  was pleased,
and addressing him as Manikkavachaka (one whose speech is gems) ordered him to remain there itself worshipping Him.
Then He vanished

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.