Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 200816 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #795 on: February 06, 2015, 03:29:01 PM »
I was learning Sanskrit in the school. However, since the language was removed from curriculam, my knowledge was incomplete,.

One day Sri Bhagavan took out Yoga   Vasishtam in two volumes.  I told Him, I have poor knowledge of Sanskrit. Sri Bhagavan said:
'I also  do not know Sanskrit. You can read letter by letter or read English translations.

Balarama Reddy's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #796 on: February 07, 2015, 05:58:48 AM »
About this time, there was brought out a new edition of Vivchara Mani Mala, a Tamizh summary of the famous Vichara
Sagara (by Saint Nischaladas),which had been written by Sri Bhagavan in a note book of Sri Arunachala Mudaliar and published
by that devotee in 1909.Now at the request of some Andhra devotees, Sri Bhagavan graciously rendered it into Telugu
and it was published under the same title.

G.V.Subbaramayya's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: February 07, 2015, 03:50:38 PM »
On June 24th 1945, I entered Bhagavan's Hall about 10 O clock in the morning as usual, but before I began my usual singing,
Mrs.Talyarkhan who was sitting there with  her friend the Maharani of Baroda, said to me  'Yesterday evening Bhagavan had
the best poems out of Muruganar's bookread out to my friend here. You must translate them for us.'

Bhagavan said to T.P. Ramachandra Iyer: Tell them they were not the best poems of Muruganar.I chose them because
I thought that in the lady's present state of mind, they might be consoling.

The poems referred to are VaNdu vidu thoothu and VaNdu tharu maaRRam. In the first,the devotee represented as a woman
in love,pines for her absent lover, the Lord sends the bee as her messenger.In the second,the bee replies: Who are you
anxious?You used to say he is in your Heart? Having Him there,,why should grieve?

After promising the ladies a translation, I proceeded to sing Vazhthu out of Muruganar's SaraNap Palllaandu. Sri Bhagavan
also told me to translate them for their sake. The last stanza goes roughly as follows: Long live the devotees who get rid
of their anxieties by having firmly in their hearts the feet of Ramana who grants all that they desired to His countless devotees.

Devarja Mudaliar's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 07, 2015, 04:51:32 PM »
I again visited the Asramam on October 14, and stayed there during the Dasara vacation.The temple building was
approaching the final stages.  Every day we  did special pujas and worship with a thousand names and the Goddess
Yogamba was splendidly decorated in one of Her manifestations. Sri T. Rami Reddy of Nellore who was also on a visit
to Sri Bhagavan, presented all the Asramam workers with new clothes. Jagadguru Sankaracharya of Kanchi Math was
now camping near Tiruvannamalai. Some one asked whether His Holiness and Sri Bhagavan had ever met.

Bhagavan replied: When were we separate  that we should meet? We are always together.

G.V.Subbaramayaa Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 08, 2015, 07:24:32 AM »
One afternoon, Sri Bhagavan stood near the guest room leaning on His walking stick and was talking to a poor looking
young girl and a boy. As I was passing that way, Sri Bhgavan called me and pointing to them, He sighed and said:
They are also  motherless children.  As He spoke a tear glistened in His eye.  (He is indirectly referring to me, since
I had lost my wife and my children have become motherless.)

G. V. Subbaramayya's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #800 on: February 08, 2015, 07:29:52 AM »
I may indicate here, in the early days, Bhagavan encouraged me whenever I was singing with deep feeling. He would
have such a look on His face, with His radiant eyes directed towards me, that I would be spell bound, and not infrequently,
at some especially moving words in the songs, tears would come and I would stop reciting for one or two minutes.
Bhagavan told me that such weeping is good, quoting from Tiruvachakam, 'Azhuthaal unnaip peRalaame.....,(By crying
for You one can get you.)

Devaraja Mudaliar Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #801 on: February 08, 2015, 03:51:36 PM »
Sri Bhagavan was following Mouna Vratham in the initial years is wrong. Once He got Atmanubhuti, He was ever in Sahaja
Stithi.  Further there was no need to talk to anybody. He started talking only when there was necessity for example, when
Pazhani Swami asked Him to explain Kaivalya Navaneetham, Adhyatma Ramayanam. Later when He was in Guru   
Murtham, when some one brought some food etc., He had to speak one or two words, saying that He does not want
this everyday.

He was an Ajata Vati bringing the concept that nothing is born and nothing is ever dead, everything is eternal and one
can realize this tattvam  by attaining Self Realization.

The books like Maha Yoga and Tripura Rahasya are only based on this Ajata Vadam.

T.K. Sundaresa Iyer, Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: February 08, 2015, 04:38:22 PM »
Once I went by foot to the Cave to have darshan of Sri Bhagavan. Sri Bhagavan smiled at me. He took notice of me since
it was a second visit of me.  He found that I was quite hungry. (I did not eat anything in the morning.) Sri Bhagavan asked me:
You are hungry. So you should eat something. He called one of  His devotees and asked him to bring some cooked rice,ghee
and also served me with fruits to eat.  I took the servings with two fingers since I am used to spoon. Sri Bhagavan noticed this
and gave me a wooden spoon made of coconut shell.  He smiled at me and started talking to me also. Finally He gave me
the milk of coconut.

He is knowing about everyone that He meets and knows their lives as if He is reading an encyclopedia.

I just bent my head and did namaskaram to Him and then left  His Cave.

Frank H. Humphreys - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #803 on: February 08, 2015, 04:54:13 PM »
In the year 1936, June, I went to Sri Ramanasramam to stay there permanently. I was given a cottage in Palakottu. It
had some occupants like Yogi Ramaiah. There was once occupied by one  Balarama Reddy  of  the same name.,Ohce
I wanted climb the Hill and I wanted to go by climbing straight.  After some distance the Hill path became perpendicular.
I did not know what to do. I stayed in on rock and meditated. After some time, I opened the eyes and found a  thick root of
a root.I held it and slowly went up and found that I could reach the summit of the Hill.

When I returned it was dinner time and without telling anyone. I understood Bhagavan's grace which acted to find
the thick root after my meditation.

N, Balarama Reddy Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #804 on: February 09, 2015, 08:14:29 AM »
Once from deep South India, some people came for Sri Bhagavan's darshan. With them, one young boy of
about 5 years had also come.  He and others did namaskaram to Sri Bhagavan. Sri Bhagavan who was always dear
to young children, asked the boy, keeping His hand on His head, asked 'What do you want?'  The young boy replied
firmly that he did not want anything. Sri Bhagavan smiled: 'Oho! You are also of my group!' He added: If someone says
'I do not want anything,' he will get everything in life.'

Annamalai Swami Reminiscenses. 

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #805 on: February 09, 2015, 09:38:14 AM »
During my first, I reached the Asramam, in March 1933. It was early morning breakfast time. The devotees took me to the dining hall.
The dining hall was in the form of a thatched shed in those days. On the one side there were rows for Brahmins. There were other
rows where the non brahmins were sitting. Sri Bhagavan was sitting back to the wall, facing both the rows. Sri Bhagavan asked me
to sit beside Him. It was a great wonder and bliss for me. (I did not have any such opportunity in Aurobindo Ashram.)

After going for a stroll, Sri Bhagavan returned to the Hall. I kept silent even though many devotees asked some questions.
Around 11 a.m.  I went for lunch. This time I sat in the rows of non-brahmins.

Around 5.00 p.m. I left for Pondicherry to obtain the formal permission from Sri Aurobindo and return after a few days.

When I think of Maharshi I remember Tayumnavar's porm: In every birth You (Guru) come to me and protect me!

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: February 09, 2015, 10:01:48 AM »
On 5th January 1937, I began my permanent stay at  the  Asramam. The next day was Maharshi's 57th birth day.  There were a
lot of crowds.  I was to stay only the common guest house along with others.

After all the guests left after Sri Bhagavan's birthday functions, I was allotted the cottage of Yogi Ramaiah. He had left staying
there. For 15 days I stayed in that cottage. Thereafter, I searched for a place and found one in the upstairs of a brahmin's
house near the Big Temple. I stayed there for only sleep and morning oblations.  Otherwise I stayed only in the Asrmaam.
I used to walk from Big Temple to the Asramam and stayed with Him in the Hall till 11 a.m. Then I used to go back to my place
and return around 3 p.m to the Asramam. And I used to stay till night.

One day in the Hall, I submitted a long essay to Him explaining my life and stay with Sri Aurobindo Ashram. He read it
carefully and returned it to me.

One day Sri Bhagavan was reading a review of Sri Aurobindo's Light on Yoga. Some devotee told Him that I was
in Sri Aurobindo  Ashram and I might be having  that book. Sri Bhagavan asked me whether I could give Him the book
for reading. I rushed to the room and brought the book.  In one night, Sri Bhagavan read the entire book and discussed
with the devotees, the content of the book and also the essential nature of Sri Aurobindo's teachings. However He said
that one cannot live long with a strong body and through that means get the life of Amaratvam, not ever dying.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 09, 2015, 12:37:59 PM »
On December 2, 1947, one gentleman from Bangalore by name Srinivasa Rao came to the Old Hall  and took some
photographs of Sri Bhagavan sitting on His usual sofa.  Two photos had come up very nicely. They were made of a larger
size, and colored.  One of the Asramam workers asked me whether I could purchase one of them. I readily agreed and
purchased one;.  The other one is held now in the Old Hall (Meditation Hall) for meditation by devotees.

Mrs.Talyarkhan told me that the photo I purchased can be framed nicely only in Bombay.  I agreed and sent it to Bombay.
It came back nicely framed and I showed the photograph to Sri Bhagavan.  He took it and saw the photo for quite some time
and returned it to me. This photo is touched by Sri Bhagavan and I found that this has become pure and noble for my use.

After about one year, the gentleman Gune who wrote Sri Bhagavan's history in Marathi brought a professional photographer
from Bangalore.  His name is Welling. He and his father came and took photographs of Sri Bhagavan,with proper lighting.
All their photographs were nice. Of these two types of photos showing Sri Bhagavan (bust size) are famous even today.
This photo called Welling Bust is held in homes of all Sri Bhagavan's devotees even today.

I purchased two of Welling Bust photos just before Sri Bhagavan's Mahanirvana.  These were also touched by Sri Bhagavan
and given to me. Thus these two were also sanctified. Even today I keep them fixed on the wall of my hereditary house.

Balarama Reddy Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 09, 2015, 12:42:42 PM »
On 18.7.1939, a lady by name Smt. Rameswari Nehru, asked Sri Bhagavan: What is your opinion about entry of Harijans
into temples?

Sri Bhagavan: I have no separate opinion. All happens with the power of the Almighty. He knows what is best.

Annamalai Swami Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 09, 2015, 12:48:18 PM »
On the night of 22.7.1939, Sri Maurice Frydman asked Sri Bhagavan:

You say that Advaita  should not be adopted in day to day action. Why is this so?

Sri Bhagavan: Do  you like to sit on my sofa?

Maurice: I can. But the people here and Sarvadhikari will beat me and push me out of the Asramam!

Sri Bhagavan: Yes. It is so.  One cannot follow Advaita in all his daily activities. For example, can one touch and take the hand
of some lady on the street?  Will the people on the road keep quiet.

Annamalai Swami Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.