Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 200648 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #780 on: February 02, 2015, 12:35:53 PM »
During His final illness,I appealed to Bhagavan to cure Himself. Earlier Muruganar kept up an appeal to Bhagavan everyday
for eleven days. My appeal to Bhagavan is as under:

Our court poet has already appealed that you should not depart before you have perfected the protection of your
subjects.I have to tell you another thing, in my humble way. What is to happen to me and several others like me
who, like helpless children, have thrown themselves entirely at your feet and on whom you have showered your
kindness,tenderness and solicitude, irrespective of their merits and even ignoring their faults, if you should leave
them thus? Surely you cannot find it in your heart, to leave us stranded like this. So we will live in hope you
will preserve this body still for our benefit.

Devaraja Mudaliar Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 02, 2015, 02:51:23 PM »
One day, He was telling us about some incidents in the life of Kambar, the great Tamizh poet of Ramayana fame.
The poet left the court of the Chozha King in a huff after some quarrel and as a parting shot told the King that
something to the following effect: 'You imagine you are the only King and  your country is the only country.
and that if a poet wants to thrive he must stay here and pay homage to you.  You will soon see I can get on very well without
your favor and can get as a valet (ataippaik karan - one who carries betel leaf and nuts box) a king at least as high as
yourself.'

He afterwards went to the Pandya king, obtained his patronage and became his best friend besides being a court poet.
After sometime he paid a visit to the Chozha King in pomp and splendor furnished by Pandya, just to flaunt his prosperity
before Chozha King who had formerly neglected him. On this trip Pandya went disguised as his valet,that is as one who
prepares betel leaves and offers them to his master.  Kambar told Pandya  of the vow or challenge he had uttered when
he left Chozha king, and the Pandya in his magnanimity and friendship consented to act as his valet so that his vow
would be fulfilled. Accordingly in Chozha court, Pandya rolled up betel leaves and respectfully offered them to Kambar.
Kambar took them but did not put them into his mouth.He felt that though out of friendship and magnanimity Pandya
did this menial service for him, it was not proper for him to accept such service from such a great personage.

Devaraja Mudaliar's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 03, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »
The best known instance of this is the following:

Echammal was a well known devotee of Bhagavan from His Virupakshi days. She came to Him first as an inconsolable young
widow whose two young children had both died, and found consolation in His Presence. And so she stuck to Him.She
brought up her brother's daughter Chellammal hoping to forget her bereavement in the company of his child.  The girl
also died soon after  giving birth to a son. Echammal was overcome with grief,and, bringing the child in her arms,
fell at Bhagavan' feet  and wept. Bhagavan could not help weeping with her.  Sivapuranam says, inbamum thunbamum
illaane ullaane...(Manikkavachagar.)

Devaraja Mudaliar's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 03, 2015, 09:54:34 AM »
My singing (or rather reciting because I could not sing with raga or thaala) was my way of worshipping Bhagavan.  I had just
enough acquaintance  with Tamizh devotional literature to easily pick out gems of devotional songs that reflected my own
feelings at any given time and so pour out my heart to Bhagavan in words apt and beautiful and moving of great saints like
Manikkavachagar, Tayumanavar, Arunagiri Nathar, Ramalinga Swamigal, and Pattinathar, I used to derive from these
recitations of mine the same benefit that other devotees derive from their dhyana, yoga, japa or other ways of approaching
God. But this was only so because Bhagavan in His Grace willed it so.

Devaraja Mudaliar - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 03, 2015, 10:01:09 AM »
In the late 1940s Sarvadhikari planned to buy some land on the western side of Asramam and to construct some cottages
for the lady devotees who were not supposed to stay overnight inside the Asramam.  He went to the extent of booking
his tickets to Bombay for approaching some devotees there who were rich.  Bhagavan was sitting on the stone sofa in
Jubilee Hall. With great hesitation, Sarvadhikari approached Bhagavan to tell his plans.

Bhagavan became indignant if not angry.  He said: We all trust in God for our livelihood. We are all Sadhus.Should
we go and beg people for donations?

No doubt, Sarvadhikari dropped the idea.

N. Balarama Reddy's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 03, 2015, 10:10:24 AM »
Right from His Virupaksa days, many Vaishanava devotees used to come and have His darshan. One such Vaishnava
devotee came and told Bhagavan to have diksha with Vaishnava mudras on His shoulders. He said that his guru
in his dream, had asked him to approach Bhagavan for the purpose. When the Vaishnava devotee broached this subject to
Bhagavan.Bhagavan kept silent for some time.  Then He said: Let your Acharya come and tell me in my dream,and then
I shall accept your proposal.

The Vaishnava devotee went back disappointed.

T.K.Sundaresa Iyer - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 04, 2015, 09:30:23 AM »
Bhagavan never asked anyone to renounce the job or change the job, for the purpose of atma vichara. Once I started to
speaking with some hesitation. I told  Him that I have done total surrender to Him and to reveal this I made a small
sloka and kept at His feet. 

'There is no other way for me. You are my total support. O Ramaneswara!  Please  grace me and save me.'

Sri Bhagavan read it and kept it with Him. He then smiled and told me that I have done some changes from a famous
sloka and told me the meaning of that sloka. Now my mind became peaceful. 

The sloka is from Deivaratha's Sri Ramana Vibhakti Ashtakam.

K.K.Nambiar's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 04, 2015, 01:18:53 PM »
Once I got permanent appointment in Tiruvannamalai, but for some tours to outstations, I was daily visiting the
Asramam and had Sri Bhagavan's darshan. I found a great change in my life.  Once I told my fellow employee
to come to Asramam and have darshan of Bhagavan.  He came for three days and thereafter, he said he would not
come since he is afraid that he might lose interest in family life. I thought that my fellow employee had thoroughly
misunderstood Bhagavan's Satsangh.

I remembered the sloka 15-3  of Ashta Vakra Gita:

Those who have good knowledge, and who takes good interest and efforts in every action,becomes dumb and effortless
when he takes interest in worldly pleasures.

Sri Bhagavan never asked anybody to leave the family life or their job. He added that on the contrary devotees of God
or Guru will have all his work and family needs made lighter.

Nambiar's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 04, 2015, 01:29:28 PM »
Once during my visit to the Asramam, my younger sister (Madhavi Amma?) asked to to donate some money for bhiksha.
It was thus arranged. The bhiksha day came. All devotees and Bhagavan were sitting under a thatched shed for lunch,
which included some good sweets also. Bhagavan looked at me and asked me to sit beside Him. I found it as a luck to
sit beside Him and eat the food. When the rice was served,on Bhagavan's leaf plate, one ball of rice fell at my leaf plate.
Sri Bhagavan said humorously: This rice ball intended for my plate, has fallen on its own on to your leaf plate.
This incident gave me great happiness apart from my happiness in sitting beside Sri Bhagavan.

Nambiar's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 04, 2015, 01:34:22 PM »
I used to go for hunting animals in forests whenever I had holidays or tours to Dharmapuri district. Once I shot a deer and
brought it to my traveler's house. A sadhu was staying in the nearby room. One seeing me bringing the dead deer with
open eyes, he said: Do not kill any animals. It is a great sin.  For your own protection, you can shoot and kill a panther or
such animals. But not otherwise.It appeared that Sadhhu was only telling what Bhagavan would tell me for my such cruel
actions. From that day I stopped shooting animals and I threw away my big and small guns once and for all.

Nambiar's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 04, 2015, 03:30:51 PM »
After hearing about Maharshi or reading His works, many Westerners came to the Asramam. One such person was Grant Duff.
He  was about 70 years old.He was tall and lean. He had sweet speech and manners. Once he wanted to listen Veda  Parayana.
A chair placed in the hall and he listened Veda  Parayana with great enthusiasm and concentration.

He went to Ooty and stayed there for six months and learnt Sanskrit. He loved that language.He has written a foreword
to Sri Ramana Gita. One can understand his love for Ramana Gita and Sanskrit from that.

N.Balarama Reddy's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 04, 2015, 03:38:26 PM »
Once Narayana Iyer wrote me a letter.There he said that Bhagavan was his father. Since the day I came into His Presence,
is there any conscious moment when he is away from my thoughts? I have become today light as a lark.Now no worry;
no load on my heart. In one hour's presence before Bhagavan, when I do not even meditate and simply sit. Something
inside me got contacted with some invisible from Bhagavan. I do not know even what it is.  But I am sure it is the case.

G.V.Subbaramayya Reminiscences.

Arunachala 'Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: February 06, 2015, 02:57:52 PM »
On Krishna Jayanti Day, 9.9.1947, I composed two Telugu verses on Sri Bhagavan as follows:

1.That day, He spoke Gita; even this day,He has graciously vouchsafed the essence of Gita. That day, God Vishnu
was Sri Krishna;today is Guru Ramana .Know ye the Truth.

2. Indeed the Guru is Brahma, Vishnu, Siva and verily the Supreme Brahman. So I adore the lotus feet of Guru Ramana.

G.V.Subbaramayya Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #793 on: February 06, 2015, 03:09:37 PM »
Once when I came to the Asramam, I saw Grant "Duff was sitting in an easy chair, inside the thatched shed of Matrubhuteswarar
Temple. He was wearing full pant and shirt.  He praised me for coming to have darshan of Sri Bhagavan often. He has read
the essence of all religions and found that Sri Sankra's advaita siddhanta and Sri Bhagavan's teachings are one and the
same. He also had given a lecture in The World Vedanta Conference.

Once Grant Duff asked some questions on a jivan mukta. Sri Bhagavan quoted the Slokas from Yoga Vasishta and explained.

Nambiar's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: February 06, 2015, 03:17:22 PM »
Ulladu Narpadu was written by Bhagavan in parts. In 1923-1927.  it was made into a book. The arrangement was done by
Sri Muruganar. There are several commentaries on this work.  In Upadesa Manjari Sadhu Natananada was responsible for
making it in a continuous essay form. This was later included in Sri Nool Thirattu.

T.K. Sundaresa Iyer's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.