Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 199797 times)

Balaji

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #765 on: January 30, 2015, 01:26:03 PM »
JNANA AND BHAKTI MARGA

By T.P. Ramachandra Iyer

One afternoon when I entered the Hall I sat down by the side of a well-built man wearing a lot of
vibhuti and strings of rudraksha mala. Suddenly, Bhagavan turned to me and said, Don't you
know him He is Kannappa. He sings beautifully. You should hear him. He brings tears to one's
eyes. Bhagavan went on praising Kannappa, which was something quite unusual, so a real urge
to hear him sing came over me and I begged him to sing. He began to sing Tiruppugazh. I have
never heard such a vibrant voice. It even brought tears to my eyes. It was a really thrilling
experience. For an hour and more we all listened spellbound. Then the gong went for lunch and
we got up reluctantly.

I went out of the Hall behind Bhagavan and he suddenly turned round and said to me,All this is
unnecessary. If you give your mind to it, it will lead you astray no use. This was a shock to
me, as he has been praising Kannappa sky high. I said nothing in reply but I took it to mean that
he did not want me to follow this path.
On another occasion the famous singer Dilip Kumar Roy was in the Hall and after prostrating a
number of times before Bhagavan, he spoke as follows, I know no meditation or samadhi and
no sadhana to attain it. I follow the devotional approach of bhakti. I worship God through my
songs. By crying to Him I seek to attain Him. Bhagavan, is this way right? Please guide me
Master.

Bhagavan looked graciously to him and said with immense love and compassion, Yes, what
you are doing is just what you have to do. Carry on and it would certainly lead you to your goal.
Through devotion to God we discharge our emotions and this is a sure way to reach Him. Dilip
prostrated several times on hearing this.
Again I went out to lunch just behind Bhagavan and again he turned to me. This time he said,
Tell Dilip that our Tamil saints have said that bhakti is the mother of jnana. So bhakti marg is
supreme. The essence of bhakti is merging with the Universal Being through emotional
devotion.

I was perplexed. The other day he had praised the signing of Kannappa but then advised me not
to follow that way; now again he was saying that the devotional and emotional way of bhakti
was the supreme and almost the only was to reach God. I pondered over it for a long time, and
then it flashed to me that he praised this way to Kannappa who was already following it, buy
cautioned me against it and the caution applied to me personally. And he alone can judge what
path is right for me. Now again he was commending the bhakti path because for Dilip it was
supreme. (Mountain Path, Jan. 1968)

(One could always integrate the two paths. One can sing profusely in praise of Sri Ramana,
worship his photo/idol as devoutly as possible and also follow his path of self enquiry. The
confluence and convergence of the two routes is not only possible but necessary to achieve faster
results.  Editor)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 01:31:44 PM by Balaji »
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 30, 2015, 01:31:19 PM »
Vilacheri Ranga Iyer

Once when I was visiting Bhagavan, a bhakta was copying out slokas from a notebook, sitting at
a distance of about 100 feet from Bhagavan. Coming to a sloka, which he could not make out, he
came to a halt. When Bhagavan gave out the sloka in question, the bhakta was greatly surprised
and asked as to how Bhagavan could know which sloka he was trying to decipher. Someone in
the pandal remarked that Bhagavan saw your pen stopped and guessed. Bhagavan said, Yes.
In answer to my question whether jnanis have dreams, Bhagavan said, In the same way in
which they have the waking world, they have the dream world. Thereupon I asked Bhagavan
what sort of dreams he gets, He said, I dream about temples, sacred water, etc.

One day I noticed Bhagavan's gums had receded. I asked him, You are younger than me. How
is it your gums are already like this He replied, One person gave me poison to test me. I took
it. It did not take away my life. But it ate up my gums.
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 30, 2015, 02:17:31 PM »
Sri Rangaswami Iyengar was doing business in Madras. He used to visit Sri Bhagavan right from 1916.  Sri Bhagavan was staying
in Pachaiamman Koil. Because there was plague in Tiruvannamalai.  Sri Rangaswami Iyengar came to see Him in Pachaiamman
Koil. Sri Bhagavan with a smile welcomed him. The devotee Iyengar wanted to take bath and Sri Bhagavan also agreed to go
with him to the tank nearby.

Iyengar was taking bath on the eastern bank of the tank.  Sri Bhagavan suddenly jumped into the tank to take bath.  At that time
on the northern bank a cheetah was drinking water. Sri Bhagavan told the cheetah: Do not come now for drinking water.
That man will be afraid of you if you he sees you. The cheetah also withdrew from the tank. The devotee also returned after
bath safe. Sri Bhagavan said: It is not the proper time i.e. noon time, to take bath here. Because the wild animals would come
at that time due to sweltering heat, to drink water.

T.K. Sundaresa Iyer's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 31, 2015, 08:42:06 AM »
One evening a young French couple visited Sri Bhagavan in the Jubilee Pandal. The young man put a question.

'What book is the best guide to Truth?'

Sri Bhagavan replied: All scriptures declare that Truth is within yourself, that in fact, You are That.  Then  how can you
find Truth in books that are without (outside) yourself?  Your searching for Truth in books is like the light seeking itself in
the shadow.

The young man again asked:

'Does the Bhagavad Gita help us to dive within ourselves and get the Truth?'

Sri Bhagavan: Certainly.

Finally the youth asked for Sri Bhagavan's favorite verse in the Bhagavad Gita. Sri Bhagavan at first parried the question
but when the young man persisted it with earnest entreaty, Sri Bhagavan  replied: Aham atma Gudakesa..etc., in Chapter
X which is interpreted thus:

I am the Self, O Gudakesa, dwelling in the Heart of everything;
I am the beginning, the middle, and likewise the end of all beings.

G.V. Subbaramayya's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 31, 2015, 09:34:15 AM »
Two more things may aptly find a place in this part.  Many people believe Bhagavan made severe penance or tapas,
for about three years after He came to Tiruvannamalai and that He achieved all His spiritual greatness as a result.
It is undoubtedly true as I have heard from Bhagavan Himself, that for about three years, He totally disregarded His
body, not caring for food, drink or even sleep. However, He has said  that He did not do all this consciously for the purpose
of achieving anything, but was involuntarily totally absorbed in the Self. In answer to a question once put by D.S. Sarma,
Bhagavan definitely said that in His case, there was no special Sadhana, at any rate in this life, leading to Self Realization,
but that in His 17th year, while He was still a student at Madurai, enlightenment, Jnana, came  to Him, suddenly, in the
course of a few minutes, not as a result of labored ratiocination but as a sudden flash of intuition, and that Jnana has remained
with Him ever since. Mr. Dilip Kumar Roy of Aurobindo Ashram, was also present when the above conversation took place and
they subsequently published it in an issue of Vedanta Kesari which was sent to Bhagavan to Bhagavan for perusal.

Devaraja Mudaliar's Reminiscences.

Arunachala 'Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 31, 2015, 09:44:47 AM »
Once at Virupaksha Cave, when Bhagavan was living, one evening at 7.00 p.m. after giripradakshina with Kavya Kanta
Ganapati Muni, Sriu Bhagavan was walking slowly, Muni showed the full moon and also the stars and planets and explained.
Sri Bhagavan then said: Nayana! All these moon, stars and planets -- all are Me. The Sun is revolving around me.

Nayana found out that He is the great Siddha Purusha and what is described in Sri Rudram, Purusha Suktam etc., is Sri Bhagavan
only.  He is everything. He is Veda Purusha, exclaimed Nayana. He also shared this rare incident with other devotees.

T.K. Sundaresa Iyer. - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 31, 2015, 09:53:11 AM »
Once Kavyakanta wanted to do a work called Uma Sahasram. He wanted to give the reading in the Arunachaleswara Temple.
Till up to previous night only 700 out of 1000 slokas were completed. He went to Pachaiamman Koil to meet Sri Bhagavan.
Four disciples of Muni accompanied him. Maharshi was in deep nishta. Muni started in His presence composing the remaining
slokas. Sri Bhagavan was listening  to them. Muni intuitively felt that the three hundred slokas in about 3 hours were completed
only by Sri Bhagavan. This was confirmed by Bhagavan, when He asked Muni after completion: Have you written all the slokas
that have been told by me.?

Nayana was thrilled with bliss. He said that the 300 slokas were the treasure of  Jnana.  Though he corrected all the
first 700 slokas many times, he did not make any correction in the last 300 slokas.

T. K. Sundaresa Iyer's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 31, 2015, 11:18:45 AM »
Right from my young age, the ancient mantra, Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya was chanted by me and this mantra
attracted me very much. I used to have vision of Krishna also. Further I had an intuition that I would die at the age of 40.
So I wanted to read scriptures like Srimad Bhagavad Gita and Srimad Bhagavatam.  Once it came to mind that Sri Bhagavan
being the Self, He is Himself Vasudeva, and so why should I separately pray to Vasudeva.

It came also to my mind that the twelve aksharas are there both in Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya and in Om Namo
Bhagavate Vasudeva and both are the same. I told all these to Sri Bhagavan. Sri Bhagavan by looking at me gracefully
gave me anugraha to use the mantra Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya Namah: I used to follow the mantra Om Namo
Bhagavate from then on wards.

T. K. Sundaresa Iyer Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 31, 2015, 11:28:48 AM »
During my young age, I read Upanishads and got into a bhavana that Deva Loka is in the Surya mandala.  I also started some
upasana techniques and this gave me some unnecessary restlessness and ailments. When I asked about it to Sri Bhagavan,
He asked: Do you want to reach Deva Loka? Where  are you  now? I answered Him: I am in your presence. He then said:
You are actually in Deva Loka now. Why do you want to attain Deva Loka which is somewhere not known to you? If you
establish yourself in your true nature, then you will experience pooranam, that is fullness. When a person is in neck deep
in water, how can he feel I am thirsty. I am thirsty.?

If the ego is dissolved, the resulting experience will be Bliss and that is Deva Loka.     

T.K. Sundaresa Iyer - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 01, 2015, 02:28:51 PM »
From the point of view of a Jnani, all siddhis are like dreams. Like a beggar who dreams that he has become the king,
and all enjoyments he relish, suddenly wake up and find that he is only a beggar. He feels as usual hungry and goes for
begging. This has been beautifully explained in Prabhu Linga Leelai.

One Yogi by name Gorak Nath has taken a  lot of efforts and built his body like a diamond. He also took kaaya kalpa medicine
to live hundreds of years.With great pride he went to others and asked them to cut his body with a sword. The sword when
hit, made a metallic sound and the body was not pierced or damaged! In the same area one Allamma Prabhu, a Jnani was
living. Gorak Nath went to him and challenged him. Allamma Prabhu said: To live in one's own true nature,  is the great
feat.Not living for hundreds of years and keeping the body as diamond.  On persuasion, Allamma Prabhu agreed to have
his body pierced by a sword.  The sword went in side as if it is hitting the wind and came outside from the back. No damage
was done. Gorak Nath prostrated to him and said: A Jnani is far better than a Siddha. Further, to live in one's true nature
is better than living hundreds of years without achieving one's own true nature.

T.K.Sundaresa Iyer - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #775 on: February 01, 2015, 02:37:11 PM »
Akshara Mana Malai was composed by Sri Bhagavan to enable His devotees-sadhus to sing and go for bhiksha. In order to
differentiate them from other sadhus including bogus sadhus,this was composed. Later it was also sung when doing\
giri pradakshina.

The 108 verses have many passages as a lady love seeking the love of her lover.  Many verses are very heart melting.

T.K. Sundaresa Iyer - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 01, 2015, 04:09:50 PM »
And so,the inquirer asks,'Who is Arunachala? Only   those who have heard his call know who Arunachala is.
When they hear it,the recognize him, and like wise recognize their own Self.Can you fathom --at least to some
extent --the abysess which are opened up and illuminated in the heart by the sacred syllables of the name
Arunachala? Can  you share the fascination  one feels when looking up at the great pyramid of the Mountain?
Perhaps you will then understand why so many of those who have renounced the  world have been led here
by an irresistible call from within.

Aruna of the Golden Fire.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 01, 2015, 04:16:39 PM »
No account of Bhagavan would give complete picture without some reference to His humor. Those who had not the
rare privilege of approaching Him personally can hardly conceive what a great fund of humor He had and may even\
find it hard to associate humor with a great Sage. I indeed wonder if any other great sage ever had such a sense of
humor.  Even in the His days, in the grip of what the doctor said must be excruciating pain, He would even joke
about the malignant tumor on His arm calling it a Lingam and so forth.All humor pales in the telling.

Devaraja Mudaliar's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 02, 2015, 10:05:56 AM »
Sri Bhagavan took enormous interest in constructing Mother's Samadhi. However, it is normally believed that only Niranjananda
Swami took all the interest.However,when there was question of selecting a sculptor, it is Sri Bhagavan who was approached 
for giving final selection. Sri Bhagavan was a Jnani par excellence.  However unlike other Jnanis and Sadhus, He took
great interest in the family, without being affected by any attachments to them. Once in 1914, Mother Azhagmma when she
came to see Sri Bhagavan, she suffered from high fever.Only on this occasion, Sri Bhagavan showed attachment to His
mother for her welfare. He prayed to Arunachaleswara, for her recovery. He wrote four verses pleading His grace for Mother's
recovery.When she was to attain Mukti, with the help of her son, how can she not recover? She recovered early and went back
to her place, Manamadurai.

Sri Bhagavan also took His younger brother to become Sarvadhikari,of the Asramam.

N.Balarama Reddy's Reminiscences.

Arunacchala Siva.       
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:09:34 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #779 on: February 02, 2015, 10:23:22 AM »
Sri Bhagavan once spoke about Ribhu Gita. He told the background story of Ribhu Gita to the devotees.

When the author composed Ribhu Gita, since he was dealing with Vasthu, Brahman, he did not even mention about
any personal gods. He was however a Siva Bhakta. Because he did not mention about Siva, he could not complete
the work and became  blind.  Then Siva-Nataraja appeared in his dream and said to add one verse on Him and the
author got his eyesight.  That is why in spite of dealing with pure advaitic Brahman, the work contains a verse towards
the end of each chapter a verse praising Siva Nataraja.

In Tamizh, it has been translated by Bhikshu Sastrigal.  He also made the same inclusion of praising Siva Nataraja
at the end of each chapter.

Sri Bhagavan recommended reading of Ribhu Gita to everyone including kitchen workers like Thenamma.

T.K. Sundaresa Iyer Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.