Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 187545 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2012, 06:12:22 PM »
One day about noon, an old tribal woman accosted Bhagavan on one of his rambles on the rough jungle path down the Hill and remarked, "A curse on you! What can't you stay quiet in one place."

Ramana said, "Yes, this is very good advice." and slapped his own cheeks, as if in punishment for not having known what the woman was teaching then.

When first the old woman began abusing him, he could not understand how he deserved it and was sumbfounded as to what offence he could have caused the woman.

About this incident also, Bhagavan said, "It is clear she could not have been an ordinary low caste woman such as are commonly spoken to Swami like that?" Here again many devotees think it was Bhagavan's father, Arunacala, or some Siddha that came in the guise of that Harijan woman and advised him.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

swayam

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2012, 05:47:07 PM »
Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

A so-called 'enlightened man,' who took himself for Sri Krishna, came
for the darshan of Ramana Maharshi, wearing clothes like Krishna.

The Maharshi appeared to take him very seriously and treated
this `enlightened one' as Krishna himself.
He even arranged for one of his attendants to give special treatment
to him, like one making puja to an idol of Krishna with all the
worshiping items, etc.

The 'enlightened one' was very pleased and went out.

All the disciples who were there protested against the Maharshi's
treatment of this pseudo-Krishna, saying that it was not proper for
him to treat that man in this manner.

Sri Ramana silenced them all by saying:

ALL OF YOU HERE ARE TAKING YOURSELF FOR MISTER X OR MISTER Y, SO WHAT
IS WRONG WITH THIS ONE TAKING HIMSELF FOR SRI KRISHNA???

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Balaji

• View Profile
Smt. Madhavi Ammal
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2012, 06:57:17 PM »
Srimati Madhavi Ammal was the sister of  K. K. Nambiar. She, like her brother, was an earnest
devotee who looked upon Bhagavan as her Master and Lord. K. K. Namabiar writes in his book, The
Guiding presence of Sri Ramana: “My sister, K. K. Madhavi Ammal, was deeply religious. She went to
the Ashram quite often, much against the will of her husband, who sometimes even scattered the fruits,
flowers, etc., got ready by her for being taken to Bhagavan. One day Bhagavan had some tooth trouble
and one tooth had to be removed. My brother-in-law, the doctor in charge of the hospital nearby, was
sent for. He went inside Bhagavan’s hall fully clad in a suit, approached Bhagavan’s sofa and asked him
to open his mouth. ‘Bhagavan, Vayi thora!’ was what he said, to the amusement of devotees gathered in
the hall. The tooth was extracted and the doctor left, a changed man. He no longer stood in the way of
my sister visiting the Ashram as often as she wished. He even felt that the hand which had touched
Bhagavan was able to perform surgery more successfully thereafter. He, too, now visited the Ashram,
prostrated before Bhagavan, and sat in the hall like other devotees in meditation.”

from the Newsletters of Arunachala Ashram
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2012, 10:24:27 AM »
Dear Balaji,

Like Yasoda saw in the opened mouth of Krishna all the world, the doctor saw in the opened mouth of Sri Bhagavan, the Truth!

Arunachala Siva.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2012, 05:27:04 PM »
By Varanasi Subbulakshimi

Do Not Torture The Body

I used to fast quite often, as advised in some scriptural texts. In one of the books, I read: "He who wants to know himself and yet pays attention to his body is like a man who trusts a crocodile to take him across a river." I showed the text to Bhagavan and he explained: "It does not mean that you should starve. You need not torture the body. It only means not giving the body more than it needs. With your mind, hold on to enquiry and just keep the body going so that it does not become a hindrance. For this, pure and fresh food, simply prepared and taken in moderation, is a great help."
Another day I asked Bhagavan's permission to put on the sannyasin's orange robes and beg for my food. He said: "Will coloured clothes give you renunciation? First learn what sannyasa means."
Once five or six devotees sat down before Bhagavan and sang a hymn in praise of the Guru. He got up in the middle of the recitation and went away, saying: "Prayers and praises will not take one far. It is the merciful look of the teacher that bestows true knowledge." I felt elated. Had I not received his merciful glances? But the next day he was saying: "Unless one becomes a six month old baby there is no hope for him in the realm of self-knowledge." My heart sank. Although I lived in the presence of Lord Arunachala Himself, I was far from becoming an infant.

Om Namo Bhagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2012, 05:30:29 PM »
Dear Balaji,

Sri Bhagavan never advised fasting or keeping awake at night. He said sattvic food in limited quantities and sleep for
about 6 hours would do. He advised however, against day time sleep.

Arunachala Siva. 

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2012, 05:33:04 PM »
By Varanasi Subbulakshi Ammal

Why Should You Doubt?

Another time Bhagavan was telling us stories from the lives of devotees of bygone ages. I questioned him: "It is written that God appeared before the devotee and shed His grace on him while he was still in his mother's womb. Can it be true?" To that Bhagavan replied: "Why should you doubt? Will doubt profit you? Only your devotion will suffer. Those stories are as real as your telling me that you are present here and now."
Bhagavan was one day reading and explaining Tirupugazh in Tamil to Alamelammal of Madura. I did not know Tamil and I could only look on. I saw a change in Bhagavan. A light was shining from within him. His face was radiant, his smile was beaming, his eyes were full of compassion. His words reverberated in the mind and were instantly and deeply understood. All my being was carried upwards on a current of strange vibrations. The memory of this experience is ever present in my heart. A great joy has remained with me that I was privileged to sit at the feet of the Divine Being.
It was ever like this with him. Whoever went to him, he would go down to his level; his words and gestures, even the intonation of his voice, would adapt themselves to the make-up of the people around him. With children he was their playmate, to family people - a wise counsellor, to pundits - a well of knowledge, to yogis - the God of will, the God of victory. He saw himself in them and they saw themselves in him and their hearts would be bound to his feet in everlasting love. All who came to see him would be charmed by his love and kindness, beauty and wisdom, and the overwhelming sense of unity he radiated like fire radiating heat. To some he would grant a special vision, invisible to others; with some he would openly discourse. Crowds would gather round him and each one would see him differently. Even his pictures differ. A stranger would not guess that they are all of the same person.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2012, 05:39:05 PM »

Somebody brought a bell to be rung at the arati ceremony and it was put into Bhagavan's hands. He tried its sound in various ways and laughed: "God wants us to make a fire of our past evil deeds and burn our karma in it. But these people burn a copper worth of camphor and hope to please the Almighty. Do they really believe that they can get something for nothing? They do not want to bend to God, they want God to bend to them. In their greed they would swallow God, but they would not let him swallow them. Some boast of their offerings. What have they got to offer ? The idol of Vinayaka (Ganesha) is made of jaggery. They break off a piece of it and offer it to Him. The only offering worthy of the Lord is to clear the mind of thoughts and remain steady in the peace of Self."

from the News letters of Arunachala Ramana

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2012, 05:46:13 PM »
By G.V.Subbramayya

"Why can't you be like me?"

Another night, Sri Bhagavan graciously enquired about my son-in-law's health, which had been causing anxiety for some months. After hearing my tale of domestic cares and worries, Sri Bhagavan looked me full in the face with utmost sympathy and spoke in melting tones: "Why can't you be like me? You know how I was when I arrived in Tiruvannamalai. There was a time when I went round the town begging for food. In those days I was observing silence. So I would pass down the street halting for a moment in front of a house and gently clap my hands. If there was no response, I would pass on. Whatever food was thus got by me and other associates, we would mix into one mass and take a morsel each. That we ate only once a day. Now you see what changes have come outwardly, what buildings have been raised and how the Ashrama has grown all-round. But I am ever the same. Only the sun rises and the sun sets. To me there seems no other change. So through all the vicissitudes of good and evil, you be like me and whenever you are prone to depression and melancholy, you remember me." These gracious words of Sri Bhagavan have been with me ever since and protect me as a talisman against all the ills of life.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2012, 07:01:22 PM »

By Krishna Bikshu

Once I said to Bhagavan: "Bhagavan, formerly, whenever I thought of you, your form would appear before my eyes. But now it does not happen. What am I to do?" "You can remember my name and repeat it. Name is superior to form. But in the course of time even the name will disappear. Till then repeat the name," advised Bhagavan.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2012, 09:47:55 AM »
PEACE IS THE SOLE CRITERION

When asked about the characteristics of a jnani,Bhagavan said, “They are described in books, such as the
Bhagavad Gita, but we must bear in mind that the jnani’s state is one which transcends the mind. It cannot be described
by the mind. Only Silence can correctly describe this state and its characteristics. Silence is more effective than speech.
From Silence came the ego, from the ego came thought, and from thought came speech. So if speech is effective, how much
more effective must be its original source!”
Then, in this connection Sri Bhagavan related the following story.

TATTVARAYA COMPOSED A bharani (a kind of poetic composition in Tamil) in honour of his Guru Swarupananda
and convened an assembly of learned pandits to hear the work and assess its value. The pandits raised the objection that a bharani
was only composed in honour of great heroes capable of killing a thousand elephants, and that it was not in order to compose such
a work in honour of an ascetic. Thereupon the author said, “Let us all go to my guru and we shall have this matter settled there.”
They went to the guru and, after all had taken their seats, the author told his guru the purpose of their coming there. The guru
sat silent and all the others also remained in mauna. The whole day passed, night came, and some more days and nights, and yet
all sat there silently, no thought at all occurring to any of them and nobody asked why they had come there. After three or four
days like this, the guru moved his mind a bit, and thereupon the assembly regained their thought activity. They then declared,
“Conquering a thousand elephants is nothing compared to the guru’s power to conquer the rutting elephants of all our egos put
together. So certainly he deserves the bharani in his honour!”

Spiritual Stories as Told by Ramana Maharshi

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2012, 10:41:03 AM »
UNIVERSAL EQUALITY

In the course of a conversation about Sri Bhagavan’s life in Madurai, Sri Bhagavan recalled, “If my aunt began
preparing appalams, or the like, she would call me and ask me to put my hand on it first. She had great faith in me,
because I used to do everything according to her wishes and never told lies. I had to tell only one lie and that was when I
came here.”
A devotee then said, “It means that for doing a great thing, sometimes a lie has to be told!”
Sri Bhagavan replied, “Yes. When it is for the welfare of the world and when the situation demands it, it has to be
done. It cannot be helped. Where is the question of telling a lie? Some force makes one say so. So long as there is purpose
there is need of action. When there is no purpose, we can avoid action in the same way as was done by the sage in the
story of the sage and the hunter in Yoga Vasishtam.”

Full of curiosity the devotee asked, “What is that story?”

IN A FOREST, a sage sat motionless and in silence. His eyes however were open. A hunter hit a deer and as it was running
away, he began pursuing it. When he saw the sage he stopped.The deer had run in front of the sage and hidden itself in a
bush nearby. The hunter could not see it and so asked the sage “Swami, my deer has come running this way. Please tell me
where exactly it has gone.” The sage said he did not know. The hunter said, “It ran in front of you. Your eyes were open.
How could you say you do not know?”, to which the sage replied, “Oh my friend! We are in the forest with universal
equality. We do not have ahankara. Unless you have ahankara, you cannot do things in this world. That ahankara is the mind.
That mind does all things. It also makes all the sense organs work. We certainly have no mind; it disappeared long ago
We do not have the three states – the states of waking, dream and deep sleep. We are always in the fourth or turiya state. In
that state nothing is seen by us. That being so, what can we say about your deer?” Unable to understand what the sage was
saying, the hunter went his way thinking they were all the words of a mad man.

Spiritual Stories as Told by Ramana Maharshi

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2012, 01:36:58 PM »
Swami Ramdas at Arunachala

Either at the end of 1922 (soon after Sri Ramana Maharshi permanently moved to the base of Arunachala) or the beginning of 1923, Swami Ramdas of Kanhangad arrived at Tiruvannamalai and had a brief meeting with the young Sri Ramana Maharshi. The meeting powerfully affected Swami Ramdas and immediately after it, he moved into an unoccupied cave on the Southside of Arunachala. It was in this cave he lived for nearly a month in deep meditation.

... He was actually rolling in a sea of indescribable happiness ... Once during the day, when he was lost in the madness of meditation he came out of the cave and found a man standing a little way from the mouth of the cave. Unconsciously, he ran up to him and locked him up in a fast embrace. This action on the part of Ramdas thoroughly frightened the friend who thought that it was a madman who was behaving in this manner and so was afraid of harm from him. It was true, he was mad ... At times, he would feel driven to clasp in his arms the very trees and plants growing in the vicinity of the cave ... Thus passed his days in that cave. It was altogether a simple and happy life that he led in that mountain retreat.

from Arunachala Grace 

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »

Talking about the time he lived on the Hill, Ramana once mentioned a vision he had whilst in a trance:

'I was wondering about aimlessly . . . I found at one place a big cave. When I entered the cave, I saw a number of waterfalls, beautiful gardens, tanks within those gardens, well-laid paths, fine lighting; everything there was most pleasing. As I went farther and farther I saw a Siddha Purusha seated like Dakshinamurti under a tree on the banks of tank. Around him, a number of Munis were seated. They were asking something, and he was replying to them. That place appeared to me very familiar. That is all. I opened my eyes.

Subsequently, after some time, when I saw Arunachala Purana in Sanskrit, I found . . . slokas which describe that cave and that Siddha Purusha, and so I was surprised that what had appeared to me in a trance was to be found in that book. So I wrote their translation in Tamil . . . its meaning is:

Though you are in the form of a fire, you have kept away the fire and have taken the shape of a Hill, mainly to shower your blessings on people. You are always living here in the form of Siddha. That cave that appeared to me is in you with all the luxuries of the world.'

[Letters by Sri Nagamma]

from Arunachala Grace

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2012, 04:11:24 PM »
Bhagavan  would allow nothing to go to waste. Even a grain of rice or a mustard seed lying on the ground would be picked up, dusted carefully, taken to the kitchen and put in its proper tin. I asked him why he gave himself so much trouble for a grain of rice. He said: "Yes, this is my way. Everything is in my care and I let nothing go to waste. In these matters I am quite strict. Were I married, no woman could get on with me. She would run away." On some other day he said: "This is the property of my Father Arunachala. I have to preserve it and pass it on to His children." He would use for food things we would not even dream of as edible; wild plants, bitter roots and pungent leaves were turned under his guidance into delicious dishes.
Once a feast was being prepared for his birthday. Devotees sent food in large quantities: some sent rice, some sugar, some fruits. Someone sent a huge load of brinjals and we ate brinjals day after day. The stalks alone made a big heap which was lying in a corner. Bhagavanasked us to cook them as a curry! I was stunned, for even cattle would refuse to eat such useless stalks. Bhagavan insisted that the stalks were edible, and we put them in a pot to boil along with dry peas. After six hours of boiling they were as hard as ever. We were at a loss what to do, yet we did not dare to disturb Bhagavan. But he always knew when he was needed in the kitchen and he would leave the Hall even in the middle of a discussion. A casual visitor would think that his mind was all on cooking. In reality his grace was on the cooks. As usual he did not fail us, but appeared in the kitchen. "How is the curry getting on?" he asked. "Is it a curry we are cooking ? We are boiling steel nails!" I exclaimed, laughing. He stirred the stalks with the ladle and went away without saying anything. Soon after, we found them quite tender. The dish was simply delicious and everybody was asking for a second helping. Bhagavan challenged the diners to guess what vegetable they were eating. Everybody praised the curry and the cook, except Bhagavan. He swallowed the little he was served in one mouthful like a medicine and refused a second helping. I was very disappointed, for I had taken so much trouble to cook his stalks and he would not even taste them properly.

from the newsletters of Arunachala Ashram