Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 201208 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #735 on: January 26, 2015, 04:30:16 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Thank You for all these beautiful stories! They are the source of endless inspiration,and reading them,i enjoy the most.

With love and prayers,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #736 on: January 26, 2015, 08:35:10 AM »
One day after morning  breakfast, Bhagavan and other devotees including me were sitting leisurely. Sri Bhagavan was
explaining certain tattvas in all its subtlety.  We were attracted by it and we were listening without any  thought about
time. At 10.45 a.m. Sri Bhagavan told me: Are you not going to school to attend to your work?  I said, Bhagavan,
today is Sunday.  Sri Bhagavan laughed and said: Is it the way you work in school. It is Monday. Go and run to the
school. Your Head Master will be waiting for you, expecting you!

I rushed to the school. As Bhagavan said, the Head Master was waiting at the entrance of the school and said:
You have forgotten today is Monday. Did Maharshi remind you?

I said: Yes. It is true. Only Maharshi reminded me and I then rushed to the classroom.

T. K. Sundaresa Iyer - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #737 on: January 26, 2015, 08:42:08 AM »
On the south west side of Sri Ramanasramam, at the foothill, there is a large lake. During one monsoon days, the lake filled
up completely and looked like an ocean. We went for a walk on the banks. Bhagavan showed one palm tree along with a
banyan tree side by side.  He said: See, one seed of banyan tree fell on the palm tree and the banyan seed sprouted and
grew into a large banyan tree and the palm tree got split and destroyed. So also the grace of a Jnani destroys all the vasanas
of the devotee. Jnani's Grace is so powerful.

I composed poem on this.

T. K. Sundaresa Iyer - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 26, 2015, 08:47:20 AM »
This is T. K. Sundaresa Iyer's poem on the banyan tree that grew at the cost of palm tree:

பனைத் தருவில் ஆல் விதையைப் பறவை இனம் எச்சமிட
பனை அழிய ஆல் ஓங்கும் பாங்கு எனவே பழம் பாச
வினைத்தருவாம் அகந்தையினில் வினை கடந்தான் அருள் படவே
வினை அகந்தை வேர் அழிய விண்ணுள்ளம் ஓங்கிடுமே.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: January 26, 2015, 09:29:57 AM »
Once a foreign visitor stayed for a fortnight in the Asramam. She went for a stroll to Skandasramam and came back.
At night after dinner, she told Bhagavan: This morning as I was looking at you, you became suddenly transformed into
a radiant youth of about twenty, something like a Greek God with a garland around your head. I could not believe my eyes.
But looking again carefully, I saw the same spectacle. What does it mean?

Bhagavan replied: What can I say? Siva Prakasam Pillai says I became a child. She says I became a young man. What can I say
to all this?

Sivapraksam Pilai has said about his seeing Bhagavan as a child in his Ramana Charita Ahaval.

Devaraja Mudaliar's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #740 on: January 26, 2015, 09:51:20 AM »
These are the lines in Sivaprakasam Pillai Anugraha Ahaval where he narrates his experience:
(vide Devaraja Mudaliar's Reminiscences.)

மறு நாள் மாலை மறையோய் நின் முன்
அறிவிலேன் இருந்திடத் அமயத்தருளிய
காட்சியைக் கழறக் கடையனும் வலனோ
மாட்சிமை உள முழு மதியம் பல சேர்ந்து
ஒருங்கு வீசும் ஒளியைப் போல் உனை
நெருங்கிய இடமெலாம் நிகரிலா சோதி
சூழ்ந்ததிடக் கண்டேன் சுடர் விடு பொன்னைத்
தாழ்ந்ததிடச் செய்யும் தினகரன் தன் ஒளி
விளங்கியது உன் திரு மேனி எல்லாம்.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 26, 2015, 10:01:11 AM »
Another foreign visitor, an elderly gentleman, set out to explore the Hill behind the Asramam after lunch on day and lost
his way, What with the heat and the exertion the old man was soon in a sorry plight and did not know what to do to get
back to the Asramam or which way to go. At that juncture, Bhagavan happened to pass by and showed him the way to the
Asramam, and the man returned safely.  Friends at the Asramam asked him where he had been all along while and he replied:
I just went out for a stroll on the Hill but got lost. The heat and exertion were a little too much for me and I was in a bad way.
I don't know what I would have done but for the fact that Bhagavan happened to come that way and directed me to the
Asramam.

The Asramites were astonished because they knew that Bhagavan had never left the Hall.  All this happened when I was in
Chittoor and I read about it in the Sunday Times. I got confirmation about this incident from Bhagavan Himself.

Devaraja Mudalar's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva,. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 26, 2015, 12:25:15 PM »
On May 30, 1947, during Veda Parayana, I was struck by the Vedic description of Siva as the 'Lord of Thieves'. I composed
five verses in Telugu depicting Sri Bhagavan as the Master-Thief as follows:

1. Lo! even by casting a half glance Thou stealest completely the stores of sins of all people.  Salutations to Thee, O Ramana,
Master Thief!

2. Throughout the world, Thou revealest Thyself directly as 'I', 'I', and yet are invisible to all. Salutations to O Ramana,
Master Thief!

3. The veteran thief breaks open only into big houses and steals ornaments. But Thou enterest within ourselves and stealest
our Heart.  Salutation to Thee, O, Ramana, Master Thief!

4. The thief skillfully steals our belongings only. But Thou knock'st away our ego and stealest ourselves. Salutations to
Thee, O Ramana, Master Thief!

5. We beings are all thieves as we have robbed the property of the Supreme Self. Hence Salutation to Thee, O Ramana,
Master Thief!

On reading these verses Sri Bhagavan appeared graciously amused.

G.V. Subbaramayya's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 27, 2015, 01:19:48 PM »
Once Sri Sankaracharya of Puri wrote a letter to Sri Bhagavan, wherein  he had stated that he wanted to visit Him and also
seek some clarifications from Him, particularly the sentence from Agamam that states, 'hara gowri samyOkath.. avachchaya yoga:'
Sri Bhagavan on seeing the letter smilingly said: He knows all these. Anyway, let him come and we shall explain to him.
There is no need to reply.

After a few days, Sankaracharya of Puri came and he was welcomed with the usual respectful rituals, fit for a Sankaracharya.

Sr Bhagavan was sitting on the stone sofa and several hundred people had come to see Sankaracharya.  After some discussions
on other matters, Sri Sankaracharya asked for clarifications for which he had mainly come. Sri Bhagavan smilingly said: This
is already known to you.  This only describes the high Atma Jnana essence.  Prakriti and Purusha are united together, all that
one sees is only shadows.  The world and other things are only shadows. The experiencer of Hara Gowri united, sees only
the shadows of the world and other things. All that is taken care of by Siva Sakti, they all become That.  The Paramatma
swarupam dances in the Heart of the experiencer.   This is nothing but the complete nature of "I", "I" experience.

Sankaracharya became satisfied with the answer and showed compete satisfaction in his face.

He also came for the Yagnams performed by in 1949 for Mathrubhuteswarar kumbabhishekam. and stayed for some days
in 1949.

T.K. Sundaresa Iyer's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 27, 2015, 01:28:59 PM »
Once from the country of Peru, a poor couple came to see Him. With their little savings they had come in ship in the lowest
class, after spending several months in the ship.

They explained their life and living to Bhagavan.  Then Bhagavan, after listening to them with all earnestness, said, 'Why do
you take all the troubles? You can think and meditate on me while staying in Peru itself.  Then Bhagavan explained their daily
life, in actual details to the surprise of the couple. He even said: In the evening you will sit on fifth marble bench.

The couple were flabbergasted. They said: How do you know all these? 

Bhagavan said: That is not important. If one remains in one's true nature, all these things will become known automatically

The couple meditated on Bhagavan for some time and stayed there in the Asramam for some. days and  then left.

T. K. Sundaresa Iyer, Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 27, 2015, 02:22:41 PM »
Once Sri Bhagavan explained the greatness of giri pradakshina of Arunachala:

Those who do giri pradakshina with all their heart and love, and when the stones pierce the sole, the blood coming out, the
devas wear them as rubies in their head gear. The great kings who love Arunachala will wear them as rubies on their headgear.
They will all pray to such a devotee and want to do giri pradkahina like them.

Annamalai Swami - Bhagavanum AtiyEnum. Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #746 on: January 27, 2015, 02:31:50 PM »
On 25.06.1939, Sri Bhagavan  in reply to a devotee said: 

1. The word of a Jnani is from akasa, unheard by humans.

2. To understand the Jnani's ways of life, is like measuring the space with your hands. 

3. Atma is more minute than the tip of a pin.  It is more minute than the minutest and bigger than the biggest.

Annamalai Swami - Reminiscences - Bhagavanum atiyEnum.

Arunachala Siva,

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 27, 2015, 03:44:34 PM »
Dear Subramanian Sir,

Your post on Puri Shankaracharya prompted me to post this one beautiful incident from the Letters. Puri Shankaracharya was none other than Bharati Krishna Tirtha Swamiji, who is known as the father of Vedic Mathematics. He was a scholar par excellence and he has composed over 3300 sanskrit shlokas in praise of all Gods in the spirit of Sanathana Dharma. I present a couple of interesting incidents:

By February 1949, all the jobs were almost completed and the consecration was fixed for 17 March 1949. In that context the lingam [?] etc. which were at another spot were brought and placed at the new place and abhishekam of the temple crest was performed according to the procedures prescribed in the sastras. All the rituals were carried out over a period of three days. The Puri Sankaracharya also participated in the function. Though a separate elevated seat was offered to him befitting his status he declined it and sat on the floor over a deer skin near Bhagavan. During his conversation with Bhagavan he asked for a clarification of a particular scriptural saying. After Bhagavan gave the reply, the Sankaracharya repeated that he could still not grasp the point. Thereupon Bhagavan looked at him bestowing his grace for about half an hour. The Sankaracharya shut his eyes and with tears flowing down he bent before Bhagavan and said that he had understood the subject. As the Sri Chakra was to be laid in the shrine and as he was an adept at it, the Sankaracharya himself volunteered to attend to the job.

9th January, 1949
About a week or ten days ago, the Puri Sankaracharya came here. His meeting with Bhagavan was something unique. As the arrival of the Acharya was known beforehand, the Sarvadhikari made all the required arrangements for the occasion. As you know, Bhagavan has been staying only in the Jubilee Hall during daytime. On the day of the arrival of the Acharya, devotees spread a tiger skin on Bhagavan couch and decorated it in a fitting manner. By the side of the couch, a suitable seat was arranged for the Acharya also. After Bhagavan had been out for his afternoon walk at 3 p.m. and had returned and resumed his seat on the couch, the devotees as usual prostrated before him and sat down.

The Acharya arrived at the Ashram at the appointed hour, went to his lodging in the Veda Patasala (School for Scriptures), made his ablutions and then, accompanied by his disciples, came to Bhagavan's presence. At the time of his coming, Bhagavan sat cross-legged in
his usual padmasana pose and with his characteristic silence.

The Acharya came to Bhagavan with his Danda (the staff of an ascetic) and saluted him. Bhagavan nodded his head in acceptance of the salutations and with great regard requested him by signs to sit on the seat arranged for him. He did not, however, sit there but sat down nearby on a deerskin and began looking at Bhagavan with a fixed stare. Bhagavan too looked at him with an unwavering and compassionate look.

Neither spoke. The audience also kept perfect silence like the still waters of a great lake. For about half an hour, both of them remained absolutely still like that, exemplifying the relationship between devotion and compassion. At that time, Bhagavan's face shone like the illumination of a crore of sun gods. Because of that brilliance, the faces of the people who came to witness this scene also blossomed like lotus flowers.

A glorious voice saying, 'What a splendour on Bhagavan's face? appeared to ring in the hearts of all the people there.

One amongst them spontaneously said, It will be very good indeed if someone takes a photo now.? As though the silence were disturbed by those words, the Acharya got up, respectfully asked for permission to leave, and went away to his lodging.

Seeing all this, I was reminded of Sri Dakshinamurthy who came to the earth to initiate Sanaka, Sanandana and others. Vriddah Sishya Gurur yuva? (The disciples are old and the Guru is young). Similarly, the Acharya is a very old man and in contrast Bhagavan appeared to be a young man.

The place also appeared at the time to be similar. The flower garden to the right was like Nandavanam; the Arunachala Hill at the back like Mount Kailas; the almond tree to the left, with its several branches, like a banyan tree; and the open space in front with a sea of human faces which had blossomed as if they were lotus flowers, like the great lake Manasarovar. Like the saying, 'Gurosthu Mouna Vyakhyanam Sishyasthu Chhinnasamsayah' (The Guru's sermon was 'Silence' and the doubts of the disciples were cleared). The Acharya
did not ask any questions that day. It seems that before he came here, he had written regarding his doubts as to the sentence in the Agama Sastra beginning with 'Haragowri Samyoge. Avachhaya Yogah'? The Ashram authorities did not reply to him giving Bhagavan's views as they felt that the matter could be explained when the Acharya came here.

Hence when the next day the Acharya asked Bhagavan about it, Bhagavan replied saying, 'What is there? It is a well known thing. 'Avachhaya Yogam' means, when the force that is engaged in doing things, i.e., mano vritti (action of the mind) becomes pure and merges in Hara (Lord Siva), and when the shadow of the Self (Atma) falls on that force, it is called 'Avachhaya Yogam'. The Acharya said he did not understand it. Bhagavan thereupon spread his benign look over him for about half an hour. The Acharya's eyes got closed involuntarily. After experiencing indescribable bliss and with tears of joy and with hands folded on his head, he said, 'Bhagavan, I have now understood it, and assuring us that he would be back by the time the Kumbhabhishekam (consecration ceremony) is performed, he left on pilgrimage
to the south accompanied by his disciples.

What a humility, from a person none other than the stature of a "Shankaracharya"

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 27, 2015, 10:19:39 PM »
After lunch, Bhagavan left for the hall where he normally sat on his sofa and gave darshan. I followed him. I offered my pranamas and asked him to let me know the easiest path. He looked 6 at me and gestured with his hand for me to sit down. In the mean time, many other devotees had arrived and the hall was full. Disappointed that he had not answered my question, I closed my eyes and began doing mental japa. After a while I heard him say to a devotee, This boy wants to know a shortcut! Then he continued, A shortcut to where One of my friends who was next to me nudged my leg and indicated that Bhagavan was talking to me. I opened my eyes and saw that he was smiling at me: he had only been waiting for other devotees to arrive so that they too could benefit form his answer to my question! Of course, I told him that I wanted a shortcut to atma-darshan  the revelation of the Self. He asked me what method I was presently practising. I replied that in my own humble way I was practising japasadhana. Hearing this, Bhagavan responded that japa was not only simple and direct, but the best method for progress in spiritual life. He quoted from the Gita  10.25: Yajnanam japayanosmi (Among the sacrifices, I am the sacrifice of japa).

Further elaborating, he said that of all the ways to offer oneself to paramatman, the easiest and the best method was the repetition of the mantra of one's own chosen deity. Japa promotes a constant flow of loving prayer from within for inner illumination. This wakes up a subtle thirst that steadily increases, leading to a strong current of continuous divine discontent known as vyakula. When this holy attitude developes into deep absorption (dhyana), the divinity reveals itself from within. This is atma-darshan.
When Bhagavan was explaining japa sadhana, an anxious devotee, who was seated a short distance away, loudly interrupted to ask a question about creation and its cause. He said that some scriptures mention that creation was due to the karma of Brahma, while other scriptures state that the creation occurred due to the karma of jivas. He wanted Bhagavan to resolve the difference of opinion.

The Maharshi just gave him a kind look, and continued to explain the subject of japa. The devotees in the packed hall lapped up his sacred words. Bhagavan explained that the aspirant first repeats the mantra out loud with diligence and devotion. Then, as his or her own loving attitude intensifies, the repetition gradually becomes internalized. As the body, senses and the mind get purified and become free from their selfish nature; the whole being gets attuned to the Divine. The power of the mantra enters every aspect of the individual. The aspirant becomes mantramaya (filled with spiritual power of the mantra), in and through all activities. One's life gets transformed into a continuous offering to the Lord, without any attachment to the results of one's actions. The impatient devotee repeated his question about creation.

This time Bhagavan graciously told him that if he would only try to understand the method he has just explained, answers to all his questions would arise within him. As one dives deep within, the mind dissolves into the Self, and all distinctions between bhakta (devotee), Bhagavan (the Lord) and Bhagavata (the sacred text) vanish in divine illumination.  Mountain Path, Oct.-Dec. 2009

SWAMI DAMODARANANDA* REMEMEMBER'S SRI RAMANA
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:33:32 PM by Balaji »
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 28, 2015, 09:50:57 AM »
Devotee: How to see Atma?

Bhagavan: There is only one Substance.  If this be so, how can one see other things?  Everyone sees only Atma.
But they do not understand it.  Poor people, they think only of their body.  If the body consciousness is left.
Atma will shine in their Heart.

Devotee: Then, what is my duty?

Bhagavan: There is nothing else to do. Find out Who am I? Then on experience of 'I' you will see if there is any duty.
If there is any duty then you can do it, once the experience of 'I' is held.

Annamalai Sami - Bhagavnum atiyEnum - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.