Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 201016 times)

Balaji

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #720 on: January 24, 2015, 12:13:45 AM »
SRI RAMANA WAS INSCRUTABLE*
By Gudipati Venkatachalam**

Sri Ramana was unpredictable and beyond all understanding. The unexpected with him was inevitable...He seemed to be completely indifferent to whatever was going on in the Ashram and would give an immense amount of care to some apparently insignificant detail. He would be highly critical of the Ashram manager's passion for improvement and expansion and yet take personal interest in the work of the carpenters and masons. He would scold his younger brother [Sarvadhikari of the Ashram] soundly, but would rebuke anybody who came to him with some complaint against him. He did not even want to hear about the money coming to the Ashram, but would read carefully the incoming and outgoing letters. He would refuse his consent to a certain work, but if it were done against his wishes, he would earnestly cooperate.

He would deny all responsibility for starting and developing the Ashram, would refuse to claim it as his property, but signed a will creating a hereditary managership for the Ashram. He would refuse all treatment when asked, but would swallow any medicine that was given to him without asking. He would relish some rustic dish and would turn away from costly delicacies. A serious loss or damage would leave him unconcerned, while he may shout warnings lest a glass pane in a cupboard should break. Greatness, wealth, beauty, power, penance, fame, philanthropy  all these would make no impression on him, but a lame monkey would absorb him for days on end. He would ignore a man for a long time and then suddenly turn to him with a broad smile and start an animated discussion. To a question about life after death he would retort, Who is asking but to another man he would explain in great detail what death was and what the state of mind was after death. It was clear that all he did was rooted in some hidden centre to which none of us had any access. He was entirely self-directed, or rather Self-directed.
Arunachala's Ramana, Vol. IV
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:17:12 AM by Balaji »
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 24, 2015, 10:01:15 AM »
On 10.6.1939, at night I wanted to take food for the celebration of Maha puja of Mother. There was a lot of crowd.
People were pushing me hither and thither. I thought I could not eat and wanted to return.  However one gentleman
who knew me took me, parting the crowd and made me to eat food on that Mahapuja day.  Then I went to Bhagavan:
Swami, There was so much crowed, and in the bustling crowd, I lost my thundu (upper cloth). Sri Bhagavan
laughed and told me: This is a profit to you.

I meant that Bhagavan did not want me even to wear an upper cloth. From that day, I stopped using an upper cloth.

Annamalai Swamii - Reminiscences.   Bhagavanum atiyEnum.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 24, 2015, 10:08:03 AM »
On 17.6.1939 I asked Bhagavan: It is said that the Jnanis do not have prarabdha. But Sastras say otherwise.  How?

Sri Bhagavan: For Jnanis there is no prarabdha at all.  The Sastras indicate only for the ajnanis. There is an example.
If a king has got three wives. If the king dies all the three wives become widows. How can only one remain as Sumangali?
- that with husband. Thus for the Self Realized Jnani there is neither agami, nor sanchitam nor prarabdham. Jnani does
not do any karma.  Hence no prarabdha would accrue to him.

Annamalai Swami - Reminiscences - Bhagavanum atiyEnum.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 24, 2015, 10:15:08 AM »
When in 1927, the Collected Works of Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi was published, there needed a preface. No
one came foward. That night, Sri Bhagavan asked me: Why don't you write the preface?  I was hesitant. However
Bhagavan insisted. He said: Please make efforts. Everything will come.

Then at night, I started writing and completed it in 45 minutes.  I showed it to Bhagavan and He approved.  He only
made one correction. In the end, I had written: When one read this, I believe he will have all fortunes including moksha.
Bhagavan said: Why write 'I believe?' Say: 'It is sure to happen.' Then I corrected to read:

When one read this, it is sure that one will have all fortunes including moksha.

Thus Bhagavan confirmed Mukti for one who read His collected works.

T. K. Sundaresa Iyer - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: January 24, 2015, 12:57:35 PM »
Once Sri Bhagavan told from Arunachala Sthala Puranam, the miracles made by Arunachala, Siva. He said once when a lame man
with crutches lamenting about his deformity, an old Brahmin came to him and threw away the crutches, saying why do you need
it? Before the lame man's indignation could get better of his surprise, and break forth into words, he found he had recovered
the use of limbs and could walk without crutches!  Sri Bhagavan said that He knew one such case personally, remarking the
similarity to the case mentioned in Arunachala Puranam, that an old brahmin came to another lame man and threw away his crutches
and he found that his lameness got cured.  The cured man went to Sona Teertham and took a bath as a matter of respect.

I think that the second incident that has been said by Sri Bhagavan is by Sri Bhagavan Himself.

Devaraja Mudaliar's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 24, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
I recollect one another case, when Bhagavan performed an undoubted miracle out of compassion for a devotee. It was about
1946. There was one householder devotee named Rajagopala Iyer.  He had a little son of about three years, who had been
named Ramana, rather a charming and comical little fellow, who used to run to Bhagavan daily and prostrate himself before Him.
At about eight O clock one evening, after the devotees had dispersed for the night, this little fellow was bitten in the foot by a snake,
and Rajagopala Iyer picked him up and ran to Bhagavan's Hall with him, not stopping to try any sort of first aid or rather treatment.
By the time, he applied these, the child was already becoming stiff and blue, but Bhagavan passed His hands over him and said:
You are alright, Ramana.

And immediately he was all right.  Rajagopala Iyer told a few of the closer devotees, but it was not much talked about.

Devaraja Mudaliar's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 24, 2015, 01:18:06 PM »
Once on the night after Maha Deepam, Sri Arunachaleswarar and Apeetha Kuchambaal came for street procession.
When they came near Asramam, the authorities submitted coconut and plantains to the deities. The temple authorities
also asked for arti.  After arti, Vibhuti prasadam was handed over by the temple priests. When they went inside the
Asramam and wanted to show the arti, to Sri Bhagavan, He said, Why all these? and took only Vibhuti. He applied it
on His forehead and said: The son is subservient to Father!  He became deeply silent.

Is He not the son of Siva? Kumara, Subrahmanya as Kavyakanta said?

T. K. Sundareswara Iyer - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 24, 2015, 02:33:19 PM »
Although Bhagavan always discouraged any interest in powers, since this might lead to a desire to possess them, He did not
discourage an interest in miracles performed by the Divine Power without human agency, as such an interest was a sign of faith. O have
partiality for miracles and on one occasion I was discussing with Bhagavan and He gave me the two following stories not connected
with Tiruvannamalai but one with Lahore or Lucknow and the other with some other part of India. The point Bhagavan wanted to make
was that such things happen even now, in our age, and not only in Puranic age.

The first story is this. There was a Railway Guard who was a great devotee and took immense pleasure in doing Bhajans and singing
God's praise. One night Bhajan continued very late at night with the result that next morning he slept late and woke up to find
that he had missed the train for which he had to act ass Guard. Greatly distressed, he got ready and took the next train, which was
leaving a little later for the same destination, in order to take charge of the earlier train at least on its return journey.  But at the starting
station the railway people began asking him how he had managed to return so soon after going as the Guard  on the earlier train.
He thought that they were mad and they similarly thought that there was something wrong with him.  At each subsequent station
too, the railway people kept on telling him he went by the earlier train. They also showed him his signature or initials in the records
concerning the earlier train. He could not make head or tail of all this until finally he reached his destination, which was, I believe,
was Lahore. He went to the railway rest house for guards there and nobody would believe him when  he said he had missed the earlier
train and arrived by the later one to take charge on its return journey. They laughed at him and said: Are you mad? You came in charge
of the earlier train. You left your clothes on the coat stand and went out for a bath.  Now you come and say all this.  Have you had
a lapse of memory or what?

The clothes were still on the coat stand. Somebody must have come there and left them.  That somebody took charge of the earlier
train in place of the devotee, was exactly like him in appearance, and wrote his signature in the records at all the stations.  But
when the devotee appeared on the scene at Lahore, that somebody disappeared, his business having ended and his presence
being no longer needed. It seemed those clothes left by God are still preserved and can be seen.

The railway guard resigned his job saying: 'Will not He, Who came and acted as Guard in my place look after me? What want of
faith I have been exhibiting all along?'

So feeling, he gave himself up thereafter entirely to devotion and singing the praise of God. This happened about 50 years
ago and was published in a journal from the Asramam library and gave it to me to read.

Devaraja Mudaliar - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.                       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 25, 2015, 08:53:12 AM »
On 19.6.1939, one lady asked Sri Bhagavan: I want to have peace. What should I do?'

Sri Bhagavan: Peace is our natural feeling. How to get it?  For example, if one has got head ache right from his birth,
no one prescribes medicine for him. Because head ache is natural.  Only in between the feeling I and body come
and disturb our peace. It is like saying by one who remains in a water body and then say: I am thirsty. Or it is like
the water body itself saying, I am thirsty.  Peace, Bliss, Moksha are all our natural feeling.

Annamalai Swami - Bhagavanum atiyEnum - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 25, 2015, 08:56:12 AM »
On 22.6.1939, Sri Bhagavan while returning from the Hill after a stroll, met T.K. Sundaresa Iyer's son. He told him:
Oye, I am told that you are spending money without limit. Your father has come and told me.  Do not spend more
than what you earn.  The fire, debts, poison -- these if they are there even a little bit, it will destroy our life..

Annamalai Swami - Bhagavanum atiyEnum. - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: January 25, 2015, 09:58:27 AM »
The other story is very similar.  It relates, I believe in Central India. There was a military officer, either a Subedar or an officer
of lower rank, who was a great devotee and could not resist the attractions of a bhajan party. Near the military camp   
was a village where every night they were having bhajan. This officer, was on patrol duty and had to remain at this post,
but when he heard the joyous and devout outpourings of the village people, in their bhajan, he could not resist the temptation
of going and joining in.  This was found by the checking officer who reprimanded him, severely: 'Don't you know the punishment
for desertion from your post? It is to be shot. You have had a good record so far and it will be overlooked this time, but if it
happened again, you will be shot.

The man promised to carry out his duty  in future and thanked the officer and the incident was closed. But the next night also,
when the subedar heard the bhajan, he was so overpowered by the desire to be with the other devotees and sing the Lord's
praise that once again he deserted his post and went and joined the village party.

The next morning he duly reported before his officer and said:'Last night also, I went away to the bhajan party. I could not
help it. You may shoot me.'

The officer retorted: 'What! Have you been dreaming or have you gone mad? I myself went around to check whether you
were at your post. I went around twice in fact. And both the times I found you there. So why do you say you were not there?'

The devotee realized that God was acting for him as Subedar while he himself was enjoying the singing of Lord's name at  the
village. He became more devout and threw himself entirely upon God.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 25, 2015, 12:29:44 PM »
Apart from actual miracles, there were instances when devotees spontaneously or in a dream perceived the will or needs
of Bhagavan. I will give an incident which was confirmed by Bhagavan Himself.

Once Bhagavan wanted His then attendant Madhava Swami to take out a note book for writing something. There were then
bound note books, about 6" X 3" in the stock at the Asramam, similar to what draughtsmen and overseers carry in their
pockets when they go out for outdoor duty.  Madavaswami forgot to take out the note book.  The next day Bhagavan
again reminded him and again he forgot. Madhavawami, it should be said, was one of  the most intelligent attendants
Bhagavan ever had, and it was quite unusual for him to forget to do anything. On the third day, Mr. K. K. Nambiar, who
was then District Board Engineer at Tiruvannamalai, appeared before Bhagavan and presented Him with a note book
exactly like the one that Bhagavan had asked Madhavawami to bring out of the Asramam stock, and when asked why
he had brought it, Nambiar replied: Bhagavan asked me for this, so I have brought it.

Then Nambiar explained that the previous night Bhagavan appeared to him, in a dream, and said, He wanted that sort of note
book giving full details as to quality, size, binding and so on.  Thereupon Bhagavan called Madhavswami and said to him:
You did not give me that note book. Now look here. He has brought one.

Arunachala Siva.,               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 25, 2015, 12:35:13 PM »
Similarly, once when stock of ink was exhausted Mr. T.S. Rajagopala Iyer, who was then in Salem, had a dream in which
Bhagavan appeared to him and said He wanted ink. Rajagopala Iyer immediately rushed to Tiruvannamalai and brought
a big jar of writing ink and presented it to Bhagavan. Again the incident of the dream came as a surprise to Bhagavan.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: January 25, 2015, 01:08:32 PM »
It was Sivaratri night.  There were evening pujas for Matrubhuteswarar and the night dinner was also over.  After dinner,
the devotees were sitting around the sofa and asked Sri Bhagavan to explain the meaning of Sri Dakshinamoorti Stotram.

When everyone was waiting for Sri Bhagavan to speak, He kept quiet without any movement. There was no talk. He was
in total silence. It became 9,10,12, and it became 6.00 a.m. Sri Bhagavan said: Have you all understood the meaning
of Sri Dakshinamurti Stotram, its purport?

Everyone prostrated to Bhagavan and left for washing and early morning coffee.

mouna vaakya prakatitha brahma tattvam, yuvaanam.....

T. K. Sundaresa Iyer - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 25, 2015, 02:10:52 PM »
Once the Asramam gardener was plucking the coconuts, with a large pole to the upper end of which there was a sharp knife
fixed. Sri Bhagavan seeing this, when He was walking near cowshed, told the gardener: Why are you using a sharp knife?
Will it not hurt and pain the trees? Why don't you use a bamboo piece atop the pole instead of a knife?

However, the gardener was continuing to use the sharp nice on the upper end of the pole to pluck the coconuts.

One week later, the same gardener while plucking the coconuts a coconut fell on his face and his nose and cheeks became
swollen! He was suffering pain. 

Sri Bhagavan said: Yes, only when he gets pain and suffering he will realize how it would pain the trees.  The trees  do not
speak but they do have pain when hurt.

Every living being would experience the pain when hurt. Every living being has Chaitanyam within.

T.K. Sundaresa Iyer - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.