Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 200877 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #705 on: January 20, 2015, 10:36:24 AM »
Once Sri Bhagavan was taking His noon meal. I also served the food that I had brought on the leaf.  A devotee
who was sitting near Sri Bhagavan, took a handful of rice from his plate, and placed a handful of rice on His plate.
Sri Bhagavan kept silent. Again the devotee wanted to take a handful of rice from his plate and place a handful of rice on His plate.
Kunju Swami stopped it. He said: You people do not even make Bhagavan take His food peacefully! What is this non sense?'

Sri Bhagavan forgave His act and said: These habits will go away in course of time. Do not chide him.     

Akhilandamma (Desuramma) Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 21, 2015, 08:31:28 AM »
Once when I went to Giripradakshina, along with Bhagavan and other devotees, I broke a coconut and lighted the
camphor on the way in front of Him, as He walked towards us.  Some other devotees also did this.
Sri Bhagavan said: All these are the work of Akhilandamma.  (I guessed that Sri Bhagavan did not like this).
So I stopped during that.

Arunachala Siva.,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 21, 2015, 08:36:53 AM »
Once I prepared some bhiksha and took it to the Asramam during noon meal time. Some brahmins also had brought
such bhiksha;. I was wondering whether Sri Bhagavan would accept my bhiksha since brahmins' food will be more
delicious.  However, Sri Bhagavan asked me to come near His leaf and serve the bhiksha.  I was pleasantly surprised
and it made me blissful.

Akhilandamma (Desuramma)- Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: January 21, 2015, 08:44:50 AM »
I was living then in Palakottu. I was also observing mounam. Once I took some nongu (palm fruits) and kept them ready
for giving them to Bhagavan when He comes for walk through Palakottu.  As expected He came and I immediately cut some
nongus. It was 12 noon.  Bhagavan asked me, 'why do you come to me?' I kept mounam and then said that I have
brought some nongus. Bhagavan said: Why do you not think yourself as Bhagavan and eat them?  He laughed and then
said He would take some nongus. He removed the fruits from within the nongu and then took them . He took some nongus
and then said: Oh, my stomach is full. I am not even able to lift my stomach and walk!  He again laughed.

Annamalai Swami - Bhagavanum atiyEnum.

Arunachala 'Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 21, 2015, 09:32:17 AM »
One day Sri Bhagavan casually narrated Sri Kavyakanta Ganapati's prayer verse in Sanskrit on Sahaayavalli the goddess
presiding over Tiruchuzhi. I noted it down.

'May Sahaayavalli's gracious glance which as it fell sanctified our Guru, Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi and made Him
realize the Supreme Self, give Sahaayam (succor) to those afflicted with Samsara (phenomenal existence)'

On Dec. 26, 1946, Sri Bhagavan narrated in the Hall the story of Jnaneswar and read out from Maha Bhakta Vijayam the
dialogue between Jnaneswara and His father.  At the instance of Sri Bhagavan, I translated one sentence in it as follows:

'The mind was conquered by Janaka of firm Knowledge like the monkey dancing to the rod's movement, and not by Suka
who is to leave off all attachments fled to the forests for refuge.

That night as Sri Bhagavan was sitting and chatting in the dining hall, the attendant Krishnaswami came with the walking
stick to take Him out.  Rising at once Sri Bhagavan remarked jocularly: So the trainer is coming with the rod and to its
movement the monkey here (pointing to Himself) dance!

G. V. Subbaramayaa's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 21, 2015, 09:40:28 AM »
As it turned out, Sri Bhagavan lived till His septuagenary celebration.

On 20th Nagamma wrote from the Asramam conveying the sad news that Sri Ramanatha Brahmachari, a long associate of
Sri Bhagavan, died at Madras where he had gone a fortnight ago.  The Brahmachari whom Sri Bhagavan used to call
Vadhyar (school master) was humility itself.  Paying my tribute to him I wrote to Nagaamma and suggested that the best
way of honoring his memory would be to sing his devotional hymn Ramananubhuti before Sri Bhagavan.

On 30.1.1947 she replied that she read out my letter to Sri Bhagavan and that Ramananubhuti was already recited by
the Cuddalore devotees in the Hall as soon as the news of the Brahmachari's demise was received. She also conveyed
the disconcerting information that Sri Bhagavan was very much emaciated.

G.V. Subbaramayya's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 22, 2015, 12:32:02 PM »
On the Sivaratri night, that is on. February 19, 1947, I composed five Telugu verses titled Sri Ramana Koluvu. The gist is as
follows:

1. This is Sivaratri, when Hari and other gods worshipped Siva who was emerging. Does it not behoove us now to worship
Sri Ramana Maharshi, the sanctifier of all mortal and immortal creation, the Kumara, (Son) who is sitting in Durbar Hall
on  the lap of Arunachala, His father? 

2. At one time He destroyed the wicked demon Taraka burst open the Krouncha Hill and thus served Heaven. Now likewise,
He is serving the eartth. Does it not behoove us to worship Sri Ramana Maharshi?

3. To serve or to worship does not  mean an attempt to measure. Sri Ramana with mortal intellects which are not bound by time
and space. Can the common scale measure the mountain?

4. The same disgrace that overcame Brahma and Vishnu for undertaking to measure Arunachala will surely fall on the
small minds that presume to measure Sri Ramana's greatness.

5. Who is that serves or worships? In this thought furnace let us throw our ego and reduce it to ashes. That would be
the true service of Guru Ramana, the Supreme Self, on Sivaratri.

G.V. Subbaramayya's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 22, 2015, 12:41:11 PM »
About the middle of May, 1947, I visited the Asramam. The great event of the season was Sri Bhagavan's Telugu composition
of Ekatma Panchakam, in the Tamizh meter Venba. Previously Bhagavan had translated two of His own Tamizh venbas on
Birthday into Telugu verses in Venba meter. But this was the first time that Sri Bhagavan wrote original Telugu composition
in Venba meter. He latter rendered the five verses into Tamizh Venba meter, Sri Muruganar then wrote the benedictory
Venba which Sri Bhagavan Himself had to translate in Telugu Venba. Sri Bhagavan said that meters in different languages
were interchangeable, that in fact, Nayana had composed some slokas in Venba meter and also in Tiruppugazh meter.
The innovation of a new meter in Telugu was quite in accordance with the tradition of ancient Rishis.

G.V, Subbaramayya's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 22, 2015, 12:45:27 PM »
One devotee asked Sri Bhagavan: I am suffering from various miseries in life. How these will go?

Bhagavan: Leave the feeling that you are the body and the body is Atma.  Then all these miseries will go.

Another devotee asked: What is the difference between Isvara and Mukta?

Sri Bhagavan: Iswara and Jnani are one and the same. But the Jnani, first forgets his true nature and then due to
practice becomes aware of his true nature.  Iswara is ever a Mukta, nithya mukta.

Annamalai Swami - Reminiscences - Bhagavanum atiyEnum

Arunachala Siva,   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 22, 2015, 12:49:58 PM »
I asked Sri Bhagavan: Was not Sri Rama born with dehatma buddhi? 

Sri Bhagavan: Sri Rama when born showed His form as Vishnu to mother Kausalya. Then He showed Himself as a baby.
Further, when Sri Rama was searching for Sita in the forest, Parvati came in the guise of Sita to test Sri Rama. Even after
seeing Parvati as Sita, Sri Rama continued to search for Sita.

Annamalali Swami - Bhagavanum AtiyEnum.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 22, 2015, 01:11:11 PM »
In May, 1933, I had completed 35 years of age and entered the 36th year. I finished by morning bath, puja, and parayana
and came to Sri Bhagavan. I was feeling bad within that even after 35 years, I could not have gnananubhavam.  I wrote
a small four line poem and submitted to Sri Bhagavan with the same ideas.

Sri Bhagavan showed His hands and made me to sit. Then He gazed me intently. Suddenly I lost my body consciousness.
Sri Bhagavan said 'Go within and you will find your true nature.  He told me by gaze and not in words.  Since I was
a devotee of Sri Rama, I told within me, 'Sri Bhagavan! If you show me darshan as Sri Rama, then my prayer for
gnanubhavam and your gaze will work together for my getting the required Atma Jnanam.

As soon as I said  this, Sri Bhagavan appeared before me as Sri Rama, Sita, Lakshmana and Bharata and Shatrughan
along with Sri Anjaneya. I again lost my consciousness and was filled with bliss for about two hours.  Then I
prostrated to Him and stayed at my place.

T. K. Sundaresa Iyer, Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 23, 2015, 10:31:56 AM »
On 6.6.1939 a devotee asked Bhagavan: If to go to Kailasa, Vaikuntam, Brahma lokam, - is it Moksha? Or is it to remain
in this world with totally mind and world absent.

Sri Bhagavan: To go to Kailasam and Vaikuntam is not Moksha.  If everyone goes there where is the place for everyone's
stay?  To remain where we are without thoughts is Moksha. If one remains in Kailasa etc., and enjoy Anandam, then
is God only insentient?  God Himself is Anandam. That will be experienced only when we know our true nature here and now.

Annamalai Swami- Bhagavanum atiyEnum.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 23, 2015, 01:16:30 PM »
When cooking started in Sri Ramanasramam, I wanted to continue the bhiksha.  Sri Bhagavan said: 'Now that cooking has
started in the Asramam, why do you bring bhiksha.'  So I started taking the essential provisions and vegetables and give
them there.  Also sometimes I continued the old practice of taking bhiksha to Sri Bhagavan.  Once on the guru puja day
of Jnana Sambandha I took bhiksha to Sri Bhagavan. Sri Bhagavan said: Today it is alright. Here after, if you can give some
money instead of bhiksha, the Asramam kitchen workers would use them for preparation of food. There after, I took only
the early morning tiffin alone to Sri Bhagavan. 

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 23, 2015, 01:21:36 PM »
Once when Sri Bhagavan took ill and His condition was worsening, many devotees came to see Him in Nirvana Room.

I wanted to see Him. However, since a person not known to me was directing the queue he did not allow me.  Then a person
known to me came that side and he asked me to have a quick darshan of Sri Bhagavan.

I went  inside the room and found the emaciated body of Sri Bhagavan, and cried uncontrollably.  I cried, Bhagavane , Bhagavane!

Then I came out of the room since a large queue was waiting.

Akhilandamma - Desuramma -
Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 23, 2015, 02:09:08 PM »
It was the year 1929, the night before Deepavali. Sri Bhagavan said in the previous night: 'Why don't you all go to your homes
and have the Deepavali oil bath, next early morning?  We said: No Bhagavan! To be in your presence, is the Deepavali bath
for us. However, I left for Deepavali bath early next morning at 2. a.m. leaving Bhagavan, rushed to the house and finished
my Deepavali bath and came back around 3.30 a..m. Bhagavan was found reclining in the sofa. We prostrated to Him.
Then He left for bath. Before that, I looked at Him. Suddenly I saw a Jyoti around His head. He smiled at me.  I immediately
with great happiness sang some Tevaram songs. He again looked like Nataraja Moorthi for me.

There was great bliss in me throughout the day.

T. K. Sundaresa Iyer - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.