Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 200374 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #675 on: January 12, 2015, 02:17:20 PM »
Once I took some hot milk and fruits and snacks for Sri Bhagavan.  Bhagavan was sitting on a rock.  He asked me, what I had
brought.  I replied. Bhagavan said: Give me only the fruits and let the Vaidikas take the milk.  He then took the snacks and fruits.
Then He asked: Why are these coconuts and plantains? I said: I have brought them for Mother's Samadhi. He said: Alright, go
to Amma's Samadhi and submit them. He then left for stroll on the Hill.

Akhilandamma (Desuramma) Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 13, 2015, 01:14:38 PM »
One Marwari devotee asked Sri Bhagavan:  I should know myself. Please tell me a way to me. Sri Bhagavan smiled and
said: Do you have two 'I"s? 

The devotee said: I do not understand anything.  How to control the mind?

Sri Bhagavan: See where the mind rises and see it deeply.  That is sufficient.

Annamalai Swami - Bhagavanum atiyEnum.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 13, 2015, 01:17:56 PM »
One night a devotee said to Sri Bhagavan: Swami! I want to leave my place and go to some forests for tapas. I want your
permission.

Sri Bhagavan: One can run away from his town.  Is the town without you?  To remain still is like staying in the forest. 
Otherwise, whether one goes to forest or town it remains the same.  (Learn to remain still).

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 13, 2015, 01:24:52 PM »
During Skandasramam days, Sri Bhagavan was taking food only once a day.  However much devotees insisted, He did not
listen.  He used to take food just before noon and that is all. Once after returning from my trip to Rameswaram, I took
food by way of fruits late in the evening.  I placed these fruits (mango, jackfurit and plantains) before Him. Sri Bhagavan said:
I am nowadays taking food only once in a day. So please take these away and come before noon tomorrow.

I did not know His new practice.  So I took back the fruits and came next day before noon.

Akhilandamma (Desuramma) Reminiscences.

Arunachala  Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 13, 2015, 02:14:52 PM »
On 29.03.1939, Maurice Frydman asked Sri Bhagavan: When I am meditating I do not see or know anything. Is it
mano layam or mano nasam?

Sri Bhagavan: In mano layam and mano nasam, such questions would not arise. 

Frydman: Then what is mano nasam?

Sri Bhagavan: I know something or I do not know something - without such doubts to remain still without any thought is
mano nasam.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 14, 2015, 12:49:08 PM »
Devotees:  Vedanta Sastra says Aham Brahmasmi. How many days should it contemplate on that?

Sri Bhagavan: Atma Jnana is not in the books of Vedanta.  Only one should read one's own Self. Then only Atma Jnana
will be attained.

Bhagavanum atiyEnum -
Annamalai Swami's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 14, 2015, 12:51:25 PM »
A Devotee: However much I try, this sorrow of samsara does not leave me.

Sri Bhagavan: Find out to whom this sorrow of Samsara is.  Then the sorrow would leave you.

Bhagavanum atiyEnum.

Annamalai Swami's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 14, 2015, 03:47:09 PM »
Devotee: What can guru do by way of help to attain Atma Sakshatkaram?

Sri Bhagavan: Guru and Iswara can only show the way by saying You are That. They can do not do more than that.  It is the duty
of Disciple to show the way of Guru and try to attain Atma Sakshatkaram. Sri Bhagavan then remained silent. 

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 15, 2015, 07:54:51 AM »
Devotee: Bhagavan! Please tell us the way to attain mano nasa.

Sri Bhagavan: Find out for whom this mind is.

Devotee: There is mind for me.

Sri Bhagavan: Who are you?  Are you the body?  If you are the body, then why this question does not arise in deep sleep?
Will you then accept that you are not the mind, and prana?

Devotees:   No.

Sri Bhagavan:  You are the Atma.  If there is anything other than that, then such a thing (mind/body) will either
help or do harm.  Be without like and dislike. Not attachment or non desire is the Sukam.

Devotee: Still I want to do away with the mind. 

Sri Bhagavan: For that you should inquire Who am I?  Then only you will understand that you are not the mind or the body.
You are only Atma which is in the Heart and also everywhere, eternally.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 15, 2015, 08:10:10 AM »
Humphreys took ill and had to go to Nilgris for recuperation. In Nilgris, he had met an old man with koupina and having
a long beard. In the Nilgirs, he had a dream where he had asked some questions to the old man whom he saw.

He asked whether he should leave non vegetarian dishes and he was given reply that one should leave non vegetarian
dishes so that meditation will be more effective.   

The same answer was given to him later by Sri Bhagavan when he had written a letter to him.

Frank Humphreys- Recollections.

Arunachala Siva.     

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 15, 2015, 05:10:57 PM »
This reminds me of another coffee incident. One of the devotees nursed a grudge against the ashram management. He asserted loudly that distinctions were made between guests. He claimed he was not being given the same hospitality that others were. He brought his complaint to Bhagavan along with his cup of afternoon coffee. Just then a mug was served to Bhagavan.

The devotee exclaimed, You see, even Bhagavan is given special coffee! Look at mine, how thin it is!

Bhagavan said nothing, but took the man 's cup and exchanged it for his own mug. The disgruntled devotee tasted it. It was a bitter decoction of jungle herbs! Only Bhagavan had the courage to drink it. Nobody else could stand it. The poor man was in a quandary, for he had asked for it himself and got it from Bhagavan's own hands. To him, as a Hindu, it was prasad, a sacred offering. Never in his life did prasad taste so bitter!

- Krishna Bhikhshu
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 05:13:18 PM by Balaji »
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 16, 2015, 11:21:42 AM »
On one Sri Ramana Jayanti days, I wanted to go to Asramam from Desur and serve bhiksha to Sri Bhagavan.
Just a few days before that day, I had a carbuncle on my head and doctors told me that I should not travel
since the carbuncle might burst at anytime.  However, I ignored doctor's advice and proceeded to Asramam
to serve bhiksha for Sri Bhagavan. I placed the sari over my head and went to the Asramam. Before that night
of my travel, I had a dream where Sri Bhagavan came and served vibhuti to me. I took it as a good omen.

On that day of Jayanti, I served bhiksha for during lunch. Sri Bhagavan looked at me and asked, 'What is that
you are closing your head with the sari?  I said that I have a carbuncle on the head. What is not known to
Sri Bhagavan?  The carbuncle was not harmful and it disappeared within a few days!

Akhilandamma (Desuramma) - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 16, 2015, 11:41:55 AM »
On 07.04.1939, some devotees asked Sri Bhagavan: Sri Bhagavan! People say that Atma is Pratyaksham. But we are not
able to see It. Why?

Sri Bhagavan: Pratyaksham is the quality only for Atma.  There is no other substance in this universe which can be called
Pratyaksham. Why? Because we still believe that we are the body. If this body consciousness goes then Atma will be
experienced/seen i.e. Pratyaksham.

Annamalai Swami - Bhagavanum atinyEnum.

Arunahchala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 16, 2015, 11:46:30 AM »
Once someone asked about Siddhis to Sri Bhagavan.

Sri Bhagavan replied: When one knows/experiences one's true nature, that is the greatest siddhi.  All other siddhis are
alpam i.e ordinary. A truly realized Jnani will have some siddhic powers, coming on their own. This is due to prarabdha.
But the Jnani does not care for it much.

Annaamalai Swami - Bhagavanum atiyEnum.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 16, 2015, 12:49:26 PM »
It was 1908. I was only 12 years old. My relative used to go to Virukpaksha Cave and have darshan of Bhagavan everyday.
He used to sing a song from Tevaram and spend some time and come back. One day he told me to come with him.
Though I was a pious boy I did not want see Sri Bhagavan for some reason or other.  Finally I went one day with him.
Sri Bhagavan was sitting on a rock and there were some ten devotees. Everyone sang some song. My friend told me to sing
a song also. I sang Sundarmurti Swami's Tevaram, starting as MaRRup paRRenakkinRi..'  The song ends: Even I do not
remember You I my tongue will utter Your name Namasivaya.

Sri Bhagavan smilingly said: Yes. That is what is required in one's life.

I took it as Sri Bhagavan's upadesam.

One day, I thought why should I go on meeting Him everyday? What benefit had accrued to me? Then I stopped going to
Virupaksha Cave. A hundred days passed like this. On the 101st day, a certain vacant feeling engulfed me. I rushed to
Skandasramam where Bhagavan had moved by that time. I prostrated to Him and wept bitterly.  Bhagavan lifted me up
and said: Why do you weep?  Why did you not come on all these days? I answered Him.

He said: Alright. You did not feel any use in coming to see me. But did you not feel the loss of not coming to me? I understood
the importance of having darshan of Him when He is in the same town. 

Thereafter I visited Him regularly everyday.

T.K. Sundaresa Iyer - Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.