Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 199931 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #660 on: December 04, 2014, 12:56:01 PM »
The Mischief of Injikollai Dikshitar:

Injikollai Yagnarama Dikshitar was the brother of Jagadeeswara Sastri of Chennai.  He used to come and spend two to
three months in the Asramam. He was a very orthodox person.  Everyday he used to wash his dhoti. Though a little
yellowed, his dhoti was spotlessly clean. He would make towels out of torn dhotis.  Looking at them Sri Bhagavan used to
ask jokingly, Can I have a towel?' 

In the early days, an Andhra devotee by name Sivayya used to come and see Sri Bhagavan at Virupaksha Cave. Much of
the time he was doing Japa. If he came across any twig or leaf, on the path, he would remove it to keep the path clean.
He would carry Echammal's vessel containing the food to the Asramam. He was always doing some service to the Asramam.
Once when Sri Bhagavan and a few others went to the top of the Hill, he carried a pot of cool water there. Such was his zeal
of service.

On the last occasion, he came to Sri Bhagavan, Yagnarama Dikshitar was also at the Asramam. Sivayya said that as he
planned to take sannyasa, and go on a pilgrimage o the south observing Mouna, he asked Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni to
write briefly about his (Sivayya's) birth, gothra and how he came to take sannyasa so that he could give that information
when needed, without speaking. Kavyakanta wrote ten slokas in praise of Sivayya. At the back of the sheet, on which the
slokas had been written, Injikollai Dikshitar wrote in Tamizh, in pencil, 'All that is written here is not true.' Sivayya did
not know Tamizh.  He went to several places, in the south and went to the Sankara Math at Kumbakonam.  He showed
the people there that sheet of paper. They read it and laughed.  When he asked why they were laughing they told him
the reason. In deep sorrow, he wrote a letter to the Asramam.Sri Bhagavan read the letter and asked us: Who wrote
this? He looked at Injikollai Dikshitar also.  Immediately he said, 'I wrote it because what Kavayakanta wrote about him is not
true.'  Sri Bhagavan smiled and kept quiet.

Kunju Swami's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 04, 2014, 04:05:54 PM »
Someone said one day to Bhagavan:

'Is it true that the Jnani is conscious in all the three states, even when he is sleeping?'

'Yes,' replied Bhagavan.

'Then why does Bhagavan snore?'

Bhagavan replied, 'Yes, I know that I snore, I could stop it if I wished, but I like it!'

Is this not a perfect acceptance?

Major Chadwicks's (Sadhu Arunachala's) Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 06, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »
Morning and evening the Vedas would be chanted before Sri Bhagavan, lasting some forty five minutes.  At first this was
done by some local Brahmins coming twice a day, from town.  But this was not altogether convenient, so in 1947, a Veda
School was started in the Asramam itself, consisting of six boys who now took on this duty.  Bhagavan obviously loved
to listen to the Vedas. Directly they started, He would immediately sit up on His couch and tuck His legs under Him, while
a far away look would come into His eyes, and He would remain motionless until they were finished.  At the end of each
recitation, everybody was expected to stand up while the boys chanted some verses in praise of the Self Realized Sage,
afterwards, prostrating to the  Guru. These verses, Na karmana mentioned above, I translated with the help of others
and handed to Bhagavan for correction, and approval.  I will add them here, as visitors frequently ask what is their meaning:

It is not by means of action, immortality is gained,
Nor even yet by offspring, nor possession of much gold,
But by renunciation by some it is attained.

The Sages who their senses have all thoroughly controlled
Attain that Sat than which high heaven's Supremacy is less,
Which ever doth within the heart its radiance unfold,
The Adepts by renunciation and one pointedness
Who have become both pure in heart and who have also known
The certainty of that one Truth, Vedanta doth profess,
Attain Self Realization; when ignorant has flown
from body and its cause Maya they will gain full liberty.

That only as minute Akash what has eternal shone,
That is within the Lotus Heart, of every sorrow free,
of the Immaculate Supreme the seat molecular,
Within the body's inner core, should  be mediated be.

He is verily Lord Supreme, He is exalted far
Above the Primal Word, which is of Veda first and last;
In which blends the Creative Cause, so merged in one they are.

Major Chadwick's (Sadhu Arunachala's) Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 06, 2014, 12:51:55 PM »
I observed silence from June 1938 to Sept. 1939, when something that Bhagavan said induced me to end it.
In Sept. 1939, I was sitting near Bhagavan's couch, where His feet rested.  There was no fence around the couch
in those days, and we would easily sit close to Him. It was about  7 pm. when I opened my eyes and saw sitting before
me, T.L. Vaswani and his nephew J. P. Vaswani. T.L. Vaswani recognized me and I joined my palms and saluted him in greeting.
As I was still observing Mouna, I did not say anything to him.  The dinner bell rang, everyone got up, and left and I returned to
my residence.

After breakfast, the next morning, I told Bhagavan the identity of our guests and inquired where they had gone. T.L. Vaswani
was renowned all over India but, like many famous back then, very few recognized him by sight.  I was surprised to hear
from Bhagavan that he and his nephew had already departed.  I was disappointed that I had not communicated with them
or informed anyone who they were. When I expressed all this to Bhagavan, He told me that I could have said something to him
on the previous evening. This gave me an indication that my silence was no longer necessary in His view and that I should
end it, which I did.

N. Balarama Reddy's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 07, 2014, 02:48:58 PM »
Bhagavn used to say that the Ego sense arose the Heart, This Heart is not the physical organ or even one of the Yogic
Chakras but a point above one and half inches to the right from the middle of the chest.  Some people pretended that
Self Realization was to be found at that point.  But how is that possible? Can there be a physical spot where Realization
is located?  Surely it is all enveloping. The idea is that when a Sadhu returns from  deep Samadhi the first point of outer
consciousness of which he is aware is this point in the so called Heart. At this point the transcendental experience drops
away and the ego again takes possession. So, looking back, it almost seems to him as though Self realization was found
there, as it was his last point of consciousness. Talking inexactly, then it is possible to say that Realization was found in
the Heart.  People were sometimes advised to take their minds back to this point, for, at the same time where ego took
birth, at this point the ego would drop away.  This was not laid down as necessary Sadhana but only as a help for a certain
number of seekers. For Bhagavan repeatedly pointed out, 'You cannot locate an experience.' In this connection I quote
another beautiful poem found in the Vedas the Narayana Sooktam, which is chanted by the boys every evening as one of
a  number of hymns during their evening prayers. I shall give the English translation.

Major Chadwick's (Sadhu Arunchala's) Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 08, 2014, 02:33:11 PM »
Sri Bhagavan's Final Day on the earth:

There were some American reporters and photographers, who were there just out for a scoop.  They were living less than
half a mile away. One of them standing outside the house suddenly looked up and saw a very bright star or meteor swing
slowly across the sky towards North over the top of the Hill.  He called out to rest of the party who ran out and saw the same
phenomenon.  One and all agreed that something had happened to Sri Bhagavan. Even though they were without special
faith in Him, by some intuition they were certain that this must the case.  It happened exactly at the time of His leaving the
mortal coil, 8.47 p.m. on April 1950 and was seen by many people, all of whom strangely enough, associated it with the same
thing. People in Madras, too, saw it and some got into their cars immediately and made their way to the Asramam. This is a
fact I will not attempt to explain, but must accept it as it happened. 

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 08, 2014, 02:46:33 PM »
Narayana Sooktham:

I shall give the meaning in English, the gist of Narayana Sooktam, which is sung by the Veda Patasala boys. 

1. It must be understood that the heart  resembling the lotus, a span below the throat and a span above the navel,
hangs upside down and is the Chief Seat of the Universal Form of Paramatman.

2. There is a subtle hole in its center. In it is the Paramatman for the purpose of giving grace to those who meditate on
Him. In the center of the heart there is a fire full of heat.

3. This fire is active and is for consuming and distributing the digestive food from head to foot, for the vitalizing of the body.

4. The flame is upturned in the heart, shining like a streak of lightning in the middle of dark clouds, like the subtle pinpoint
of a seed.  It is of the golden yellow color and shines effulgently. It is not comparable with anything else. 

5. In the center of the tip of the flame is the Paramatman. He is Brahma, Vishnu Siva, Indra is the indestructible, self
effulgent Paramtman.

I think that the hymns may allude to the Heart Chakra rather than the spiritual Heart, of which Bhagavan speaks, which
He places on the right side of the chest, but in the Talks, He explains about the Heart. (Talks No. 29)

Major Chadwick;s (Sadhu Arunachala's) Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 11, 2014, 12:40:50 PM »
Bhagavan adored the Hill and was never happier than when wandering alone about its slopes. There is a current story
about a great Siddha Purusha, known as Arunagiri Yogi, who lives under an enormous banyan tree on the north slope
of the Hill. Leaves from this tree were once found by Bhagavan on the ground when He was going round the Hill. They were
more than a foot in diameter.  One day Bhagavan set off in search of this spot. At length He found it and saw the tree in
the distance, which He described as enormous. But the place was surrounded by a thick and impenetrable hedge of thorns,
and this prevented His further approach.  When He did try to push His way through, He disturbed a hornets'  nest, so that
the enraged hornets violently attacked His leg and thigh.  He did not move until they had expended their anger upon Him
as punishment for the harm He had done.  He never moved forward as He now realized that He was not meant to proceed
further. With regard to the hornets, He was most apologetic, as He said that He had had no right to disturb their nest so
carelessly. So considered was He.

(Muruganar has written a poem on this incident and Sri Bhagavan has also written a poem in reply).

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 11, 2015, 12:46:15 PM »
On 22.11.1938, on devotee from Andhra asked Sri Bhagavan:

D: Swami! The universe which appears as many different, is it false or is it true?

B: As we see so it is.  The falsehood and truth are in us.  If we see the universe as Brahman  then there is no universe.

D: Then, why does the universe appear?

B: For whom does it appear?  The universe does not say: I am here. Are there scriptural confirmations for the universe
to appear?  Then for whom does this universe appear?

D: For me.

B: Who are you.  Find out who you are.  Then after knowing, if the universe still appears, tell me.

D: Swami! Can I have the bhavana that I am the universe?

B: If you have that bhavana, you will only get blows. Why? All is Brahman.  Why should there be a bhavana towards it?
You should only have the bhavana that 'I am not the body'.

D: I have got family and children. There are a lot of troubles.

B: The family outside you will not harm you.  You should only renounce the family within.

Source: Annamalai Swami's Tamizh book, Bhagavanum aetiyEnum

Arunachala Siva.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:41:51 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 11, 2015, 12:51:22 PM »
Once I told Sri Bhagavan that I was having frequent stomach pains. (I thought He would suggest some medicine)

Bhagavan: What can I do? This body itself is a big disease.  One should remain summa - still to lose this body.
All other diseases will come and go.  (This would remain with us for ever till our death).  You are telling me.
To whom shall I tell about my diseases?

Source: Annamalai Swami's Tamizh book,     Bhagavanum atiyEnum.

Arunachala Siva/
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:41:16 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 11, 2015, 02:05:06 PM »
On the morning of 18.01.1939, I went along with Sri Bhagavan to the Hill. I found that Sri Bhagavan had plasters on His left
hand finger and on His right leg finger.  I asked Sri Bhagavan: Sri Bhagavan!  Did the knife cut you?  Sri Bhagavan smilingly
said: NO. My finger went near the knife and it got cut. My leg went near the stone and it got hurt.  I also laughed.

Annamalai Swami:  Sri Bhagavanum atiyEnum

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:40:44 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 11, 2015, 02:08:48 PM »
Once I asked Sri Bhagavan: Bhagavan. Though some move with you closely and also do good service to you, why should
they get into bad ways?

Sri Bhagavan said: In Vaikunta, even though Jaya and Vijaya were the guardians and was close to Mahavishnu, did they
not do mistakes due to their ego and then got births as Hiranya and Hiranyaksha?

Annamalai Swami - Sri Bhagavanum atiyEnum   

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:40:12 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 12, 2015, 01:47:32 PM »
One devotee asked Sri Bhagavan: I do not know where I should stay. 

Sri Bhagavan answered: You stay where the 'I' is.

Next day, the devotee asked: Should I go back to my place and do my work or should I remain without any work, I do not know.

Sri Bhagavan said:  Eating, bathing, going for motions, thinking and all these body related work, are they not work? To do some work
alone is not work. The real nature of being still is to work something or in some job.  The real Mouna is to speak always (without
leaving the 'I").

Annamalai Swami - Bhagavanum atiyenum.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 12, 2015, 01:51:50 PM »
On 10.03.1938, I asked Sri Bhagavan about Siddha purusha's feats.

Sri Bhagavan said: To acquire Siddhis will only fatten the ego.  The greatest Siddhi is not see the world but to remain still within.
For a poorna Jnani, all Siddhis will come and do service. But one should stay with that is permanent and ready and eternal.
All other Siddhis are like dreams.  He quoted from Ulladu Narpadu and explained it.

Annamalai Swami - Bhagavanum atiyEnum.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 12, 2015, 02:12:55 PM »
Once in Skandasramam, I went to serve food for Sri Bhagavan.  Bhagavan being that day a full moon day, was having tonsure.
I stood there patiently for a long time. After tonsure, I asked Sri Bhagavan for upadesa.  He said, 'What upadesa?  DO NOT
LEAVE YOUR SELF.. I did not understand it for long time. However I felt enormous peace and grace of Bhagavan when He
uttered these words.  He sat at a place and remained with a vacant inward look. I think He demonstrated what He had told me.
Let Vedantis give any explanation for this upadesa. I do not care, Bhagavan's grace and peace that He emanated is sufficient for me.

After some time, Bhagavan went for His bath and then took the bhiksha brought by me.

Akhilandamma (Desuramma) reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.