Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 199459 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #600 on: November 08, 2014, 02:46:55 PM »
Echamma:

In her letter on January 13, 1946, striking personal note, Nagamma wrote:

Echamma who was like a mother to me has gone.  Now my sole female aid here is aunt Alamellamma (Sri Bhagavan's
sister). Sri Bhagavan Himself whom I look upon as mother, father, Guru and God, is protecting me in every way just
as the bird while hatching preserves its egg underneath its wings.  Brother, there is no limit to the Grace of that Mahatma.
Unless it be the merit of some former life, why should He shower such Grace, on this humble being? With what offering
can I discharge the debt?  What is there to offer? Oh my madness! Enough!

G.V. Subbaramayya's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #601 on: November 08, 2014, 03:12:54 PM »
Bhagavan' Diksha and Muruganar's realization:

Once Bhagavan led Murugnar deep into the forest. At one place, Bhagavan sat down on a log, and asked Muruganar to
sit beside Him.  Muruganar sat, but no words were exchanged. Bhagavan looked directly into his eyes and Muruganar
felt the power of Bhagavan's grace flowing through him like an electric current. He lost all perceptions of time and space,
and experienced a joy beyond description. Immersed in this state of bliss, Muruganar was oblivious to the passage of time;
it was only when he regained his senses that he realized that he must have remained in this state of of bliss for hours together.

Muruganar has mentioned this incident in one of the poems in the section titled Keerthi Tiru agaval in Sri Ramana Sannidhi
Murai. This verse expresses Muruganar's gratitude to Bhagavan, for giving him this experience of blissful union with the Self.

Bhagavan Himself has corroborated Muruganar's account of this incident. 

Kanakammal's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 09, 2014, 02:28:21 PM »
During the war a little man came to stay at the Asramam. He was half Indian and half Japanese, though he almost looked
wholly Indian.  He had a book of talks of Krishnamurti's in which he was very much interested and about which he asked
many questions of Bhagavan.  Bhagavan was very gracious and patient with him. It almost seemed to me afterwards as if
Bhagavan was sympathizing with him, having foreseen his face.  For one day at the local school, where was posing as a
professional photographer, he annoyed the boys in some way who started ragging him, in the course of which his wrist watch,
which turned out to be no watch at all but a some form of miniature radio, was snatched off.  For this he was hauled off by
the police as a Japanese spy and probably suffered the inevitable end, anyhow we never saw him again.  All we can say is that
he had been well prepared by Bhagavan.

Major Chadwick's (Sadhu Arunachala's) Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 09, 2014, 02:56:44 PM »
Liberation to Puja:

The Matrubhuteswara Temple, though not particularly large in size, is remarkable for its beauty.  The Sri Chakra installed in
the sanctum is an extraordinarily powerful one, and its sanctity is enhanced by daily rituals which are performed with great
devotion and attention in detail. IN the early days, the ritualistic worship used to be conducted by the devotees daily in
Ramanasramam.  In those days there were very few permanent residents in the Asramam. Whenever, he was unable to find
any body else, Chinnaswami would attend to the puja himself.  Once in a while, Chinnaswami would ask Muruganar to conduct
the puja.  Muruganar could not refuse.  Muruganar was a perfectionist and, whatever he did, he would do with whole hearted
concentration.  While engaged in one activity, however, he became oblivious of everything else.  He also lost track of time,
and would often perform a single activity over and over again. For example, if he decided to perform abhishekam of the idols
he would bring pot after pot of water and pour it over the idols. Then he would start scrubbing the idols, to remove all the
accumulated oil and grease.  Once while  Muruganar was busy washing the Lingam, Bhagavan entered the temple.

After watching silently for some time, Bhagavan remarked in tones of amusement, 'The way you scrub the Lingam, it looks
as though the entire stone image might disappear within a few days' time!'

On another occasion, Bhagavan happened to enter t he temple just as Muruganar was finishing the day's puja.   At the
end of the puja, the customary practice is to perform the Arti. Murugnar placed a lump of camphor on a plate and lighted
it and picked up the bell in his left hand started ringing it. While ringing the bell he cold not perform the Arti. He was
experiencing difficulty in doing both simultaneously. In consternation, he started mumbling to himself, 'I wonder how
others manage to recite the mantras, ring the bell with one hand and keep up the circular motion of the Arti plate with
other hand, all at the same time!  It requires such perfect synchronization of activities!  I suppose it is a gift that other
people possess. I myself can never master this art!'

At this, Bhagavan teased him: 'Oye! Your performance is simply amazing !  I have been admiring you all this while.
How nicely you ring the bell !  And the graceful manner in which you perform the Arti is simply beyond description!

Muruganar was startled to hear Bhagavan's voice for he had not noticed Him entering the temple. When he realized that
Bhagavan must have been watching him for a long time, he was thoroughly  embarrassed.   He said, 'Bhagavan! I am not
going to perform puja anymore.  This is quite beyond my capabilities!  I am going to tell Chinnaswami that I just cannot
do this.'  Bhagavan smiled broadly and said, 'That is good. Now you have granted liberation to puja!'

Kankammal's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.                     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 09, 2014, 03:15:28 PM »
For the ensuing summer vacation, I had planned to visit the Asramam at the end of May 1946. But Nagamma in her letter
dated April 26, 1946 informed me that the Upanayanam of the two elder sons of Sri Venkataraman would be celebrated on
the 19th May and that Mahapuja would be performed on the 25th May in the Asramam and she urged me to reach the
Asramam in time to attend the above functions. She further wrote that her letter had the approval of Sri Bhagavan. So I
started on the 13th May with my children, Lalita, Ramana Prasadam and Alagamma. The Rajah Saheb of Venkatagiri
whom I happened to visit on the way, entrusted me with a cheque for Rs. 116.00 as his contribution to the Asramam.
And this I felt to be an auspicious instance of Sri Bhagavan's Grace.

Sri Bhagavan was graciously pleased to note that Alagamma bore His Mother's name and He always addressed her as Amma -
Mother!

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 10, 2014, 02:22:04 PM »
One day Bhagavan was telling us that the Tamizh Saint Manikkavachagar's body disappeared in a blaze of light leaving no residue.
I asked Him how that had happened and He explained that the body is solidified mind.  When in jnanam the mind dissolves
and consumes itself in a blaze of light, the body is burnt up in the process.  He gave Saint Nandanar as another example
of this. I mentioned  the case in the Bible of Elijah being carried up to Heaven in a chariot of fire, a poetic way of saying
the same thing.

I then asked if Christ's disappearance from the tomb had resembled this in any way.  But Bhagavan pointed out that this
was entirely different, for Christ's body remained for a time after death, whereas the bodies of the others had been immediately
and utterly consumed.  He explained that the subtle body is composed of light and sound and that the gross body is a concrete
form of the same,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 10, 2014, 02:28:44 PM »
One morning we and Nagamma with her nieces Vidya and Swarna, went up the Hill and visited  Skandasramam in a party.
The children particularly enjoyed playing in the perennial spring (discovered by Sri Bhagavan) flowing by Skandasramam.
When we returned and reported our visit to Sri Bhagavan, He was much pleased and He graciously told many anecdotes
relating to Skandasramam. Sri Bhagavan told us that the Skandasramam was named after one Kandaswami, a mason devotee,
who built the Asramam.  i remarked that the name was doubly significant as Skandasramam because the abode of Sri
Bhagavan who was believed to be an incarnation of God Skanda.  Sri Bhagavan simply said:

'Names and forms might vary, but the Reality is the same.'

Arunacahala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 10, 2014, 02:50:32 PM »
One morning Bhagavan was chopping greens. Muruganar was sitting close to Bhagavan and was engaged in the same task.
Bhagavan was recounting anecdotes of His days on the Hill. He was talking about the various kinds of herbs found on the
Hill and the properties of each kind. Bhagavan said, 'There are several herbs to be found on the Arunachala Hill. He said  that
some of these herbs can wipe out sensation of hunger and thirst and that the sages used to take these herbs so that they
could perform penance for years together without being bothered by hunger and thirst.   There is even a belief that with the
help of some herbs one could acquire the power to transport oneself through space, and reach any place of one's choice
just by thinking about it!

Muruganar was fascinated by Bhagavan's words and completely forgot the work on hand.  Bhagavan finished His portion
of the job and with the intention of stacking all the greens together, and gathering all the roots into one single heap,
He looked at Muruganar's workspot and remarked: 'Look at him!  He is really very smart!  Muruganar, your skill in chopping
greens is as striking as your success in running a household!'

Bhagavan's remark jolted Muruganar of this trance-like state.  He looked down at his handiwork. The few stalks he had
managed to chop were lying scattered all over the place. The roots were in an even messier state, lying like wounded
soldiers on a battlefield! Then he looked at Bhagavan's portion of the work, and saw the  chopped greens piled up neatly
in one place with the roots in a separate heap. Even the roots had been laid in a neat pile! Muruganar was quite ashamed
of himself.  As if to add insult to injury, Bhagavan was now making fun of his clumsy attempts at helping in the kitchen!
What could poor Muruganar do?  He could think of only one form of retaliation. He went out and took a piece of paper
wrote something on it and left the paper on Bhagavan's sofa. As soon as Bhagavan entered the Hall, He picked up the piece
of paper and read it. Seeming the smile of amusement as He read, the devotees in the Hall asked Him what was on the paper/

Bhagavan handed over the paper to one of the devotees and asked him to read it for others.  It was a poem.

The gist is: 'O Ramana, You are extraordinarily efficient person. Why don't you marry an equally efficient young lady
and set up house? Why should you be wandering around as a mendicant in loin cloth, begging food when you could
easily have set up an ideal household?' - Verse 863 of Sri Ramana Sannidihi Murai.

I shall give the original poem and its translation separately.

Arunachala Siva.                   

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 10, 2014, 03:04:40 PM »
Subramanian Sir

Very interesting facts  regarding Sri Bhagavan and Muruganar in  the kitchen .Noted Thank you.
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 10, 2014, 03:40:27 PM »
Dear Balaji and others,

The following is the verse composed by Muruganar after the 'greens incident.'

நக்கராகி நயந்து ரமணரே
புக்குப் பிச்சை புலம்பித் திரிவதேன்
தக்கவாறு ஒரு தையால் உதவியாால்
சிக்கெனக் குடி வாழ்க்கை செலுத்துமே.

Verse 863 of Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 10, 2014, 03:42:57 PM »
This is the English translation of the poem of Muruganar by Prof. K. Swaminathan:

Why are you, O Ramana,
A naked beggar crying out
For alms and roaming here and there?
Why not seek the company
Of a nice young lady, and so start
Straightaway a decent householder's life?

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: November 11, 2014, 02:17:36 PM »
One often hears people saying that Bhagavan was an avatar, in this way thinking to add to His glory; but except for the fact
that everybody might possibly be called an Avatar, since each of us is God in human body, there was absolutely no ground
for saying so.  One day a Sannyasin belonging to a well known order, who think that their Guru alone attained Self realization,
challenged Bhagavan in a most aggressive way and unmannerly fashion.

Sadhu: People say that you are an Avatar of Subramanya.  What do you say about it?

Bhagavan said nothing.

Sadhu: If it is a fact , why do you keep silence about it?  Why don't you speak out and tell us the truth?

Bhagavan did not reply.

Sadhu: Tell us, we want to know.

Bhagavan: (quietly) An avatar is only a partial manifestation of God, whereas a Jnani is God Himself.

Here lies the whole difference between Advaita and other philosophies.  In Advaita all is nothing but the Self.  There is
no room for such special manifesations as Avatars.       

A person is either self realized or is not. There are no degrees.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: November 11, 2014, 02:38:29 PM »
In the early days, items of daily use, like tooth powder and medicinal oils were prepared in the Asramam itself.  The herbs and
other ingredients were available locally and the devotees were able to obtain everything easily.

Once a particular oil was being prepared.  The herbs were measured and mixed according to Bhagavan's instructions. 
And the mixture was placed on the stove to boil.  When the process of preparation was nearing completion, Bhagavan was
informed and asked to come back and check it.  On His way to cowshed, Bhagavan came to the kitchen.  He found that the
oil was ready  to be removed from the fire and so He asked the attendants to place the container on  the floor and allow the hot
oil to cool. After a while, Bhagavan came back to the kitchen to see to the filtration and storage of the oil.

A large vessel was placed on the floor and a white cloth was spread across the mouth of the vessel.  Bhagavan held the cloth
in place and Muruganar started transferring oil from the cauldron to the vessel using a mug. As the work was going on,
Bhagavan was telling Muruganar about the various herbs that has been used in the preparation, about specific qualities
of each herb and benefits to be derived from the prepared oil.

Muruganar was apt to forget everything at the mere sight of Bhagavan.  Now with Bhagavan in such close proximity and talking
about interesting things, Muruganar was totally lost.  He forgot all about his surroundings and the work he was supposed to be
doing. His mind was totally engrossed in Bhagavan's words.  But his hands mechanically continued to the task of pouring oil
from one vessel into the other.

The vessel became full but Muruganar did not notice that. Bhagavan however was alert as ever and said, 'Look out!  The vessel
is full. Did not you not notice it?' At Bhagavan's words, Muruganar was jolted back to his senses, but not quickly enough.
In his confusion he poured one more mug of oil into the vessel and it promptly overflowed.

Muruganar was dismayed to see the oil streaming along the floor. Bhagavan laughed at the bewildered expression on his
face  and said to him: 'Don't let the oil go to waste. Who is going to supply you with such a nice herbal oil?  Quick, take it
and rub it on your scalp, it will do you good!'

Immediately Muruganar started scooping the oil from the floor and rubbing it on his head. He was still in a dazed state,
and was not fully aware of what he was doing. He knew only that Bhagavan had asked him to take the oil from the floor
and apply on his head.  He proceeded to do just that, with his hand traveling from the floor to head and back to the floor.
Even after all the oil was gone, he continued repeating the same sequence of actions, with the result he was now scooping
up the mud and rubbing it on his head! Only when Bhagavan burst out laughing, 'Hey, I told you to apply only the oil
and not the mud!' Then Muruganar did realize what he was doing.  With a shame faced look he finally stopped. He did not
even know that he remove the filtering cloth and Subbalaskhmi Ammal did it to relieve Bhagavan and finish the job on hand.

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: November 11, 2014, 02:48:03 PM »
One night Sri Bhagavan quoted a verse from Bhagavatam (Canto XIII verse 36) and gave His own Telugu translation which
He had composed in the previous January.

'Just as a man blinded with drunkenness sees not the cloth that he has on, so the Self Realized Siddha knows not whether
the perishable body is existent or non existent, whether by force of karma it has gone from him or come to him.'

This observation of Sri Bhagavan sounded somewhat ominous in view of His failing health.

G.V. Subbaramayaa's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 11, 2014, 03:11:35 PM »
This is the Tamizh version of Bhagavatam sloka for which  Bhagavan gave a Telugu version to G.V. Subbaramayya:
This translation is also from Sri Bhagavan.

தனு நிலை இலதால் தங்கினும் எழினும்
வினையினால் அடுத்து விடுத்திடு மேனும்
புனை துகிலினுக் கள் வெறிக் குருடைனப் போல்
தனை உணர் சித்தன் தனு உணர்கிலனே.

Arunachala Siva.