Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 199842 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #555 on: October 30, 2014, 11:44:24 AM »
Major A.W. Chadwick:

Major Chadwick (Sadhu Arunachala) used to attend the Veda Parayana both in the morning and evening. He used to
meditate a great deal. He had great affection for the boys in the Veda Patasala. He used to provide them with new clothes
on Deepavali Day.  He showed great interest in Sri Chakra Puja, as he thought it was good for the welfare of the Asramam.
He also arranged for Sri Vidya Homam every year.

He took on the responsibility of the Veda Patasala and admitted eight boys to it and appointed separate teachers for
Tamizh, Sanskrit and the Vedas and looked after the school with great care. 

He used to do Puja to Sri Dakshinamurti in his room and meditate.  On the first day of every month, he arranged for a
special puja for Dakshinamurti in the Matrubhuteswara Temple.  Even after his demise in 1962, the Puja continues to be
done every month.

Kunju Swami's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: October 30, 2014, 11:57:06 AM »
Reincarnation:

One night in the Hall, there was some talk about reincarnation. Just as Bhagavan was getting up from His couch to go
for His evening meal, I, as a joke, said, 'But Alan Chadwick has not been born before.'.  'What, what did he say?' asked
Bhagavan sharply.  'He said that he had never been born before', someone wrongly interpreted.  Of course, I had not
said that at all.  I had meant that whatever form the ego took formerly it had never had the name and form of Alan
Chadwick, but had been some entirely different person.  But Bhagavan replying to the wrong interpretation quickly replied,
'Oh, yes, he had been, for what has brought us all together. here again?'

He never asked us what had brought us to Him, but what had brought us again to Arunachala.  He had so completely
identified himself with the Hill.  This answer, though caused by a mistake, was very gratifying to me, as Bhagavan admitted
the old connection between us.  So must I always be with Him until Self Realization, after which there will be no more he and I.
I used to say that I must attain Self Realization in this life or Bhagavan would have to be born again so that I might be
with Him.  So for His own good He must see that I gain my end in this life.  Bhagavan would just smile.  Though this was said
only as a joke, there was a fundamental truth behind it.

Major Chadwick's (Sadhu Arunachala's) Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: October 30, 2014, 12:20:29 PM »
Mounam and one Aksharam:

I attended the Maha Puja in the Asramam celebrated on June 4. 1945, and stayed on for about a fortnight. One morning,
Sri Bhagavan read out from Madhavaswami's notebook His former utterance on Mounam and now rendered it in Telugu.
I took down in my notebook the Tamizh and Telugu versions as Sri Bhagavan dictated. They ran as follows:

'Mounam (silence) is but the state of
Grace that emerges within as One Word.'

Incidentally, Sri Bhagavan narrated how several years ago, late Somasundaraswami brought Him a new notebook and
pressed Him to write one Akshram in it.  Thereupon, Sri Bhagavan wrote a Tamizh kural (couplet)m which meant:

"One Aksharam (letter) is itself ever shining in the Heart, Who can write it down?'

Later Sri Bhagavan rendered the verse into a  Sanskrit slokam and Telugu couplets. Now Sri Bhagavan was graciously
pleased to transliterate the Tamizh verse in my  note book, and I copied down the Sanskrit and Telugu versions.

G.V. Subbaramayya's Reminiscences.

(I shall give the original verse on One Aksharam, separately).

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: October 30, 2014, 12:25:47 PM »
The following is the kuRal (couplet) written by Sri Bhagavan at the request of Somasundaraswami on 30.09.1937:

ஓர் எழுத்து என்றும் தானாய் உள்ளத்து ஒளிர்வதாம்
ஆர் எழுத வல்லார் அதை.

This is mentioned in G.V. Subbaramayya's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: October 30, 2014, 12:35:11 PM »
Bhagavan would never allow any special treatment for Himself.  He would first make sure that whatever was served to Him
was available to all.  Not only that, He would severely scold anyone who tried to show any preferential treatment towards
Him, while serving food.  He also wished that Asramites cultivated vairagya, bhakti and seva (detachment, devotion, and
service) completely. He deprecated the tendency to cause inconvenience to devotees in the name of regulations.  Here is
an instance:  Westerners found it difficult to squat on the floor.  A European lady stretched her legs while sitting in the
presence of Sri Bhagavan. The attendants of Bhagavan warned her against the practice.  Immediately, Sri Bhagavan who
usually stretched His legs, folded them and sat cross legged but as He was suffering from rheumatic pains, that posture
caused Him pain.  He felt that the regulations applied to Him also. To get Bhagavan to resume His normal posture, the attendant
allowed the western lady to sit any posture convenient to her.

Krishna Bhikshu's Reminiscences. 

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #560 on: October 30, 2014, 12:46:57 PM »
Initiation through Look:

On one of the days, for a short while, I gazed at Sri Bhagavan with my eyes wide open.  Within a few seconds, my eyes
closed of their own accord and I was totally immersed in peace that is beyond description. I do not know how long I
stayed in that state of bliss.  After a while, I managed to open my eyes. I saw Sri Bhagavan's gaze still upon me. 
He had not changed His position; nor had He lifted that magical look from me.  I closed my eyes again.

After a while, I heard voices and opened my eyes to see what was happening. Mouni Srinivasa Rao had come in with
the day's mail.  Sri Bhagavan was going through the letters and other correspondence. After some time, Mouni left
the Hall. Sri Bhagavan too got up and went out towards the cowshed, accompanied by His personal attendant.  At that
point of time, I stood up  and went back to my usual place under the window.

Kameswaramma followed me. She was in a very emotional state. She embraced me and with tears in her eyes said:
'Kanaka! You are indeed very fortunate.  What a wonderful experience you have had!  From the time you sat down
before Him, to the moment when Mouni arrived, Sri Bhagavan's eyes were on you all the time, Not for a moment did
He shift His gaze. I was watching  you and Bhagavan all the time, and I could see the effect of Bhagavan's look on
your mind.  Bhagavan has been extremely gracious to you today.

Kanakammal's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: October 30, 2014, 04:54:06 PM »
One Akshram:

In G.V. Subbaramiah's reminiscences, Sri Bhagavan mentioned one kuRal about one aksharam.  The same thing
He made into a Venba of four lines as follows:

அக்கரம தோர் எழுத்தாகும் இப் புத்தகத்தோர்
அக்கரமா அஹ்து எழுத வாசித்தாய் - அக்கரமாம்
ஓர் எழுத்து என்றும் தானாய் உள்ளத்து ஒளிர்வதாம்
ஆரெழுத வல்லார் அதை.   

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: October 31, 2014, 10:56:21 AM »
Anbudai Nenjam:

Another day,Sri Bhagavan dwelt upon the special holiness of Arunachala and of Tiruchuzhi, His native village. He quoted
a Tamizh hymn in which He had formerly composed in praise of the Deity of Tiruchuzhi, Sri Bhoominatheswara in the
manner of the famous song Manikkavachagar beginning with the word "Anbdai" as folllows:

'The one Good Lord, the Supreme Effulgence that shines ever inseparable in beauteous Tiruchuzhi as He dances ever
blissfully in the Heart of loving devotees, may He grant me such love as melts the bones and so shine in my Heart!'

The one idea common to Manikkavachagar and Sri Bhagavan is the 'blissful dance of the Lord generating such love as melts
the bones'. Sri Bhagavan also cited two more verses on Tiruchuzhi which He had composed long ago in collaboration  with
Iswara Swami.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: October 31, 2014, 03:25:28 PM »
In the above G.V. Subbaramayya's Reminiscences, Sri Bhagavan quoted two Tamizh verses, one from Manikkavachagar
(from Tiruch Chitrambala Kovaiyar) and Sri Bhagavan's own verse both on Tiruchuzhi:

Sri Manikkavachagar's verse mentioning Tiruchuzhi in Tiruchitrambala Kovaiyar:

(1)  அன்புடை நெஞ்சத்து இவள் பேதுற அம்பலத்தடியார்
     என்பிடை வந்தமிழ் தூற நின்றாடி இருஞ் சுழியற்
     தன் பெடை நையத்து அகவழிந்து அன்னஞ் சலத்தின்
     வன் பெடை மேல் துயிலும் வயலூரன் வரம்பிலனே

Sri Bhagavan's verse on Tiruchuzhi:

(2) அன்புடை யார் தம் அக்கம் அகலாமல் அனவரதம்
     இன்புடையாட்ட மிடல் என என்றும் எழிிற்சுழியல்
     தன்புடை நீங்காது ஒளிர் பரஞ் சோதித் தனிச் சிவமே
     என்புடை அன்பு ஈந்து இலகிட வென்றன் இருதயமே.

Arunachala 'Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: October 31, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »
The following two verses are from Isvara Swami and Sri Bhagavan.  The former asked the brief details of His history
and Sri Bhagavan replied:

Iswara Swami's question:

1. சிந்தித்தேன் பாயும் திருவருணை வாழ் ரமணா
   சிந்தித்தேன் நின் சரிதம் செப்பவே - முந்தித்தான்
   உற்றிடமும் பெற்றோர் உறு பெயரும் தான் தெரியப்
   பெற்றால் உலகு பெறும் பேறு.

Sri Bhagavan's reply:

2.  சிந்தை தரு மெய்ஞ் ஞானி சிந்தையோ தன்னகமோ
   வந்தி நிறத்தான் அகலதாரிடம் என் - உந்து தருச்
   சூழும் திருச்சுழியல் சுந்தரன் என் தந்தை தாள்
   தாழும் அழகம்மை என் தாய்.

(vide G.V. Subbaramayya's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: October 31, 2014, 03:44:22 PM »
VALLI:

This deer was presented to the Asramam by a manufacturer of match boxes.   The deer was also loved by the Asramites.
All visitors used to pet her, with the result that she became completely accustomed to human company.  She roamed
about so freely, that she would mix with lambs of outsiders and accompany them for grazing. On several occasions
the shepherds would bring back the deer to the Asramam.  Once, she strayed far away when some poachers hurt
her. On noticing that the deer belonged to the Asramam, someone went to to her rescue and brought her back to the
Asramam.  In spite of all attention on her, the deer lost her life.  Sri Bhagavan got it buried on the northern side of the
Asramam. Like Cow Lakshmi and Jack, this animal also got the sparsa diksha of Sri Bhagavan and attained mukti.

Krishna Bhikshu's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: October 31, 2014, 04:17:55 PM »
Dreaming and Waking:

Bhagavan taught that dreaming and the waking experiences were exactly the same. I always found this hard to
understand and would often question him on the subject.  He would explain that all my questions about dream
only occurred in my waking state, they never occurred in a dream.  How, then, could they be valid?  Everything'
is just a projection of the mind. But because you find that dreams are only transitory in relation to the waking state
you imagine there is a difference between them. This is only apparent, it is not real.  Dream is for the person who thinks
'that he is awake but actually both dream and waking are quite unreal from the Absolute standpoint.  You do not question
your state when you are dreaming, it is only questioned by the one who is awake.  Is this fair?

Still, while knowing Bhagavan's teaching, that all is only an appearance and a creation of the mind, I found His teaching
on dreams hard to understand.  For waking seemed to  me continuous, going on from day to day. I awoke into the same
world each day whereas my dreams were always different, they were distinct.  However Bhagavan would never accept this
distinction and repeated that the criticism only arose in the waking state and never in that of  dreams.  Then I myself
had a dream one day......

Sadhu Arunachala's (Major Chadwick's ) Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: October 31, 2014, 04:54:49 PM »
The Mode of Worship in the Asramam:

In May 1922, Sri Bhagavan's Mother attained samadhi. Niranjananada Swami did puja with the help of Ramanathan,
son of Yoganath, a great devotee.  When Sri Bhagavan came to settle at the Samadhi, Tiruchuzhi Ramananda Swami,
Viswanathswami, Mathur Rajagopala Iyer, Sundaram (Everest Company), M.S. Nagaraja Iyer and others did puja.
Occasionally Niranjanananda swami, Krishna Bhikshu and Muruganar used to do the puja. Since 1938, when Veda
Patasala was started, the students there have been doing puja. Two of the students of the school, Tirukoyilur K.
Krishnamurti (Kittu) and N. Subramanyam (Appichi) have been doing puja since 1938 and 1942. Appichi continues
to puja but Kittu passed away in 1995.

Milk is offered daily at 6.30 a.m at the  shrine of Sri Bhagavan and given as prasad to devotees. At 8 a.m. Vedaparayanam
takes place and at 9 a.m. there is puja.  At 5 p.m. again there is parayanam and recitation of Bhagavan's Upadesa Saram.
On special days special pujas are conducted. From 1953, Sri Vidya Homam is being performed on a grand scale. On this
'occasion two unmarried girls are honored with gifts of sari and a blouse peace and they are worshipped as if they were
Devi.  This puja was done with great faith by the wife of the Asramam president, Nagalakshmi Ammal.

In the month of Margazhi, Sri Bhagavan's birthday is celebrated on a grand scale. Punarvasu is the star under which He
was born. Sri Bhagavan's nirvana day, and His Mother's Mahasamadhi day are also celebrated at the Asramam.
Niranjananda Swami's Samadhi day is celebrated in the Tamzih month of Thai (January).

Adi Annamalai  Swami alias Venkatesa Sarma, a great Vedic scholar and his wife Visalakshi Ammal, were residents of
Ramana Nagar for a number of years.  He had helped the Asramam in the conduct of various pujas and homams and lived'
a quiet life. He has written verses in Sanskrit and Tamizh in praise of Sri Bhagavan.

When we were in Skandasramam, Sri Bhagavan's Mother used to recite the devotional songs she had learned when she
was young. She used to do this remaining in her small room in Skandasramam. Sri Bhagavan used to sit in the verandah
outside. We used to meditate before Him. When His Mother finished her songs at 5 a.m. He would look at us and we
used to start reciting Akshramanamalai, Appala Pattu, Sri Dakshinamurti Stotram etc.,

Later when we came to Mother's Samadhi, the routine was as folows;

Ramaswami Pillai, C. Somasundaram Pillai, Rangaswami, Annamalai Swami and A. Devarja Mudaliar used  to form
one group; Madhava swami, Vadivudayiar, Sivanandam and I used to be another group.  The first group would sing
the first part of a song and the second group the second part.  Sri Bhagavan Himself had arranged the songs to be
sung in this fashion. Once in a while, T. K. Sundaresa Iyer, K, Natesa  Iyer, Thoppaya Mudaliar, T.P. Ramachandra
Iyer and M.S. Nagaraja Iyer would join in with fervor.

Kunju Swami's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 01, 2014, 12:39:02 PM »
Dream and Waking:

Then I myself had a dream:

I was having an argument with somebody on the subject of dreams and in the course of this I said: 'Whatever you say, Bishop
Berkeley was right, things are only in the mind, there is no reality outside of that. Things just don't exist; so dream and waking
experience must be exactly the same. They are only mental concepts.'  'You say that now', the other replied, 'but you would
not talk like that in a dream.'  And then I woke up. The whole thing was intensely vivid.

Some people have failed to see how this applies to the above (the previous reminiscences).  But the point is that the dream was
so real that I never questioned it to be anything but the waking state.  The two WERE exactly the same!

That everything is in the mind and that the mind itself is only a passing phenomenon was continually stressed by Bhagavan.
'Who is the one behind the mind?' He would ask repeatedly.  'Find that one and the mind itself will automatically disappear.'
To do this one must repeatedly seek out the source of the 'I' by the inquiry 'Who am I?'  This process has often been
misunderstood, though actually Bhagavan's teaching is quite clear. In this search one is not seek for some transcendental
'I'-Absolute', but for the ego itself and t he point where it arises.  Find this, the ego automatically drops away and one then
knows there is nothing but the Self.  It is like following a stream to its source,  through the hills  and when one has reached
that point whence it arises the steam itself will no longer exist.   Source, mind, ego are one and the same and cannot exist
apart from each other.  The mind cannot know the Self, for how can it know that which is beyond mind?  So it is impossible
even for a Jnani to explain his state in words, which is only of the mind.  To know it is to be it.  There is no other way.

Major Chadwick's (Sadhu Arunachala's) Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 01, 2014, 02:36:14 PM »
Idli Swami:

In 1945, there was in the Asramam a small, sickly,  lame, puppy who, we feared would die any moment.  But under Sri
Bhagavan's Grace and constant care, he not only recovered health but began to eat iddlis (rice cakes) daily with so much
relish that Sri Bhagavan named him Idli Swami. Relating this incident, I wrote on June 15, 1945 a Telugu verse  meaning:

'O Sri Ramana, you once as Lord Krishna, straightened and beautified the hunch back woman out of your abundant
Grace. So, now you have reared this little lame puppy to a fine Idli Swami. How wonderful!'

Two days later, I composed the following couple of Telugu verses on Sri Ramana's Grace.

'Seeing you caress peacocks, squirrels, cows, dogs, monkeys, and children with such tender grace, any one must melt to
his bones, O Sri Ramana!'

'So many birds and animals coming to you have attained deliverance. Likewise do bless with Grace, this human animal
that has sought refuge in you.' 

Arunachala Siva.