Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 200874 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #465 on: October 01, 2014, 03:57:02 PM »
On another occasion an Andhra youth came and said, 'Swami, having a great desire for Moksha and anxious to
now the way thereto, I have read all sorts of books on Vedanta. They all describe it, each in a different way. I have
also visited a number of learned people and when I asked them, each recommended a different path.  I got puzzled
and have come to you; please tell me which path to take.'

With a smile on His face, Bhagavan said, 'All right. Then, go the way you came.'  We all felt amused at this.
The poor young man did not know what to say, He waited until Bhagavan left the Hall  and then with a depressed
look turned to others there appealingly, and said, 'Gentlemen, I have come a long way with great hope and with
no regard for the expenses or discomfort, out of my ardent desire, to know the way to Mokhsa.  Is it fair to tell
me to go the way I came?  Is this such a huge joke?'

Thereupon, one of them said, 'No sir, it is not a joke. It is the most appropriate reply to your question.
Bhagavan's teaching is that the inquiry, Who am I? is the easiest path to Moksha. You asked Him the way 'I' should
go, and His saying 'Go the way you came', meant that if you investigate and pursue the path from which that 'I'
came, you will attain Moksha,.

Kanakammal's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 02, 2014, 11:42:13 AM »
In the year 1950, when Sri Bhagavan's health caused anxiety, VaLLi Malai Swamigal arranged for special pujas
for Bhagavan's health.  He then sent a person to Arunachala and made him to request Sri Bhagavan that He
should live for some more years and it will help many more to attain Atma Jnana.  Sri Bhagavan heard the person's
request patiently and with all compassion told him: Will anyone keep the leaf plate after eating and use it again?
Then He remained silent.

Kunju Swami's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 02, 2014, 11:53:17 AM »
Krishna Premi was an ardent Krishna Bhakta. He used to keep in a glass box,  Radha-Krishna idols and he used to
hang that always on his shoulders. After Bhagavan's darsan, he wanted to go somewhere in the Hill to do dhyana.
Viswanatha Swami was sent to accompany him to see Skandasramam and other places in the Hill.  Inside the
Skandasramam, he went into dhyana and for long long time that he lost his consciousness.  Viswantha Swami told
him slowly to get up and asked him to come back for lunch.

He went back to Asramam and took lunch with Sri Bhagavan.  He then told Sri Bhagavan that he has been impressed
by the words, Sarvam Vasudeva mayam jagat.  Sri Bhagavan said: Yes. It is a great mantra. And then He explained
the tenets of Sri Vaishnavism. Krishna Premi was spellbound. Bhagavan continued: To consider Sarvam Vasudeva Mayam,
you should see everything as the form of Vasudeva. Even plants, trees, creepers etc., should be seen as Vasudeva.

Krishna Premi appreciated the explanation of  Sri Bhagavan and he shed tears and did namaskaram to Him.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 03, 2014, 02:55:51 PM »
The New Hall work was completed in front of Matrubhuteswar temple.  There was also a stone sofa constructed.
When Sri Bhagavan entered the New Hall, He was welcomed with poorNa kumbham with chanting Na karmana mantram
and He was seated on the new stone sofa. 

Then after sometime, the Sthapathi came with some plantains, coconut and flowers and asked Sri Bhagavan to touch
them.  Then they went away to a stone which was adorned with turmeric and flowers.  The coconut was broken near the
stone and work started.

I asked Venkataratnam what for the stone was there.  He replied that they are going to have a statue of Sri Bhagavan.
I felt bad as to why a statue should be made when Sri Bhagavan was still in mortal coil.

When Sri Bhagavaan saw the stone statue after some days, He said;  Yes. This is alright. For stone like people a stone
Swami is going to come. Now there will be pujas for this stone Swami.  He laughed heartily.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 04, 2014, 01:33:52 PM »
There was one lady who was a great devotee of Sri Bhagavan and was staying near the Asramam in a rented house.
One day she brought her daughter and that mischievous girl was looking at Sri Bhagavan who had a tonsured head
because it was a Full Moon Day. The girl touched Sri Bhagavan's tonsured head and Sri Bhagavan smiled and then said:
'See there is also one more tonsured head', pointing out a devotee nearby.   Meantime, another devotee entered the Hall
and he was also having a tonsured head.  With great surprise the girl said, 'Here is one more tonsured head.' and clapped
its hands.

Another girl who used to come to Sri Bhagavan daily and see Him, found that devotees are bringing fruits and eatables.
One day, not finding anything worth giving to Sri Bhagavan in her house, she brought two roasted papads! I saw her
hesitating for some time, and asked what she had brought.  She showed the papads.  I told her: O, then you give these
two papads to Sri Bhagavan. Bhagavan took a bit as usual and left the other papads for distribution. 

Then Bhagavan thinking that she would thus bring something to eat every day, told her:  'You see, you have got my
photo at your house, is it not?  Please show whatever is available in your house, to my photo and then eat.  There is
no need to bring anything here. If your mother brings anything, it is alright. You do not take the trouble.

Arunachala Siva.                   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 04, 2014, 01:50:11 PM »
Ramaswami Pillai:

Ramaswami Pillai came to Sri Bhagavan as a his sole refuge. He was following Karma Yoga. Once his student who was
working as a teacher in Chidambaram gave Pillai a photo of Sri Bhagavan.  After knowing about Sri Bhagavan, he came to
Sri Bhagavan who was staying in Skandasramam at that time.  Those days Sri Bhagavan used to take only one meal at
noon and was not having any food at night.  When Ramaswami Pillai came once with a plan to stay overnight, he was told
about non availability of food at night.  However, without bothering about food, he stayed. At around 8.30 pm. Ramanatha
Brahmachari came with a part of coconut broken and along with sweet pongal.  Sri Bhagavan said: You desicate the coconut
and mix sweet pongal and make it a gruel.

Around 9.00 pm some young students came to see Him. They were from Coimbatore.  They had brought plantains
and sugar crystals!  Sri Bhagavan said: please mix the sugar crystals and we will all take the sweet gruel and also eat
plantains.  I shall also discontinue my habit of not taking anything at night and share the gruel and plantains.

Ramaswami Pillai was astonished about the turn of events.
Pillai lived 100 years and died only before 1980s.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 05, 2014, 12:49:23 PM »
Sri Bhagavan was sitting on the sofa in total silence. One day an educated young man came and sat in the Hall.
From his face, it looked as if he was going to ask some questions.  After some time, he stood up and asked Sri
Bhagavan: Swami, Swami Vivekananda when touched by Sri Ramakrishna, attained nirvikalpa samadhi.  Can
Sri Bhagavan also do the same thing to me?'

He sat down.  Sri Bhagavan did not answer him immediately. After some time, He asked that young man:
'Has the questioner got the maturity of Swami Vivekananda?'

The young man did not reply.  After some time, he quietly left the Hall.

Sri Bhagavan said:  He wanted to check only whether I have got powers like Sri Ramakrishna.  He does not
bother whether he is like Vivekananda.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 06, 2014, 11:54:52 AM »
Gold Parrot:

The kumbhabishekam for Matrubhuteswarar temple was fast approaching.  The various works connected with renovation
were done in great hurry.  Yaga salas were being made out.  Necessary provisions for feeding on that day, came fast in
lorries.  The devotees were doing their best contribution.

T.K Duraisami Iyer was the head of the renovation committee. He and His wife took a house on rent near the Asramam
and were doing work day and night.  His wife Yogamba had great devotion for Devi and was a Devi Upasaki.
She and her husband Duraisami Iyer wanted to something special for Yogamba, the consort of Matrubhuteswarar.
Seeing the size of the idol, she wanted to donate a gold parrot to be held by Yogamba on her hand. 

The gold parrot made was shown to Sri Bhagavan. Sri Bhagavan took that gold parrot on His hands and saw it and the
workmanship.  He then smiled and said: It is quite suitable for Amba Yogamba. The donor is also Yogamba.
What a coincidence!  He then returned it to the lady and asked her to keep it safe till it is placed on the hands of
Amba Yogamba. 

The lady Yogamba shed tears and said: It is all Sri Bhagavan's Grace.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 06, 2014, 02:24:50 PM »
Ramakrishna Swami and Sri Bhagavan's description of Sampraadhayam for sadus before eating in a invitee's house:

Once Sri Ramakrishna Swami went for Bhiksha.  At that time, one Lakshmi Ammal, who was staying in one of the houses
in a street near the Temple, called Ramakrishna Swami to come in and eat regular food in her house.  Ramakrishna
Swami went into their house. After cleaning his feet and placing on a seat, Lakshmi Ammal started placing leaf and
served detailed food.  Then she asked Ramakrishna Swami to chant Siva Purananam before eating.  Ramakrishna
Swami was blinking. However, Lakshmi Ammal then sang Siva Puranam and then asked him to eat.

Ramakrishna Swami came back and told Sri Bhagavan about the experience and his shame.

Sri Bhagavan said:  There is Sampradhayam for Sadhus who go for other people's houses or Maths, to chant slokas
before eating.  Normally, one would chant Siva Puranam, or some songs in Periya Puranam. In Northern India, it is
the practice to chant Bhagavad Gita Chapter 15 and Siva Mahimna Stotram of Pushap Dhanta.  A Sadhu should learn
all these before going to Maths or for eating in someone else's house.

Sri Ramakrishna Swami and Kunju Swami learnt these verses afterwards and then were prepared to go to any house
or Math.

Arunachala Siva.                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 07, 2014, 05:24:07 PM »
Once Sri Bhagavan was sitting on the stone sofa in the Jubilee Hall.  One foreigner had come and was sitting on a
canvas chair (foldable) and tried to listen to Sri Bhagavan. One devotee came to him, and said not to sit on a canvas
chair which is a disrepute for Sri Bhagavan.   He returned folding his chair with disappointment. 

Sri Bhagavan said: Because he is a foreigner he is not able to sit on the floor squatting.  He is not used to it.
Why should you ask him to go away. 

Then He showed the cross beams above.  There a monkey was sitting just above His head.

What are you going to do for this?, are you able to drive it away?

He added: If someone is more powerful then us, we submit.  If one is less powerful than us, you show your
ahankaram and force.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 08, 2014, 03:48:57 PM »
After Sri Bhagavan attained Maha Nirvana, devotees excepting a few,  who were staying the town and also in the nearby
areas, left Tiruvannamalai.  However, since they did not get any peace of mind, one by one barring a few returned to the
Asramam. At that time came one Anandammal. I and Anandammal came to Muruganar who was teaching us the verses
in Collected Works and other books like Ozhivil Odukkam etc., One evening, Anandammal came to Muruganar and asked
about Vamadeva who is mentioned in Atma Puranam.  Muruganar explained: Vamadevar had to suffer one more birth,
However when he was in the womb of his mother, there itself he had Atma Jnanam. 

After listening to Muruganar, Anandammal suddenly fell on the floor.  I thought she is putting Namaskaram to Murugnar.
She did not get up for a long time. Then we found that she is unconscious and only breathing was there. I and Padma
fixed a jutka and took her to to her house. Till 9 p.m. she was in the same condition and then left her mortal coil
immediately thereafter. Even at the last moments she had Vedanta Vicharam. Thereafter, her son and brother placed
her in Samadhi built next morning. 

It is surprising that a great Vivki like Anandammal left her mortal coii in the same place, Tiruvannamalai.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 08, 2014, 03:58:43 PM »
Lakshmi Ammal, who had served bhiksha for Ramakrishna Swami (see No. 474), was a great devotee. She used to come and
have darshan of Sri Bhagavan on every Krittika star day.  She used to go for giri pradakshina on Full Moon Days with her
young son aged 8 years.  Once she went to Sri Bhagavan and asked her son Ramachandran to chant Sri
Dakshinamoorti Stotram. The young boy often forgot the first word in every stanza.  Sri Bhagavan thought to help him
by collecting all the first words of His Tamizh version, lie mannumaa, mounama, ulaku kaN, vithuLe, evan oLi, pala thuLai,
utal uyir, raahu, kuzhavi mun, ulakaiyaar, maN punal,sarvamum etc., He asked the boy to memorize these first words
and then asked him to chant the Tamizh verses.  The boy thereafter did not make any mistakes for forget the verses.

Ramachandran later worked as Municipal Manager in Tiruvannamlai and retired. 

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 09, 2014, 02:28:47 PM »
Radio Story:

Jnanis whose vasanas have been totally destroyed, will also do all work as we normal people do. But it is all only for
our onlookers' point of view.  They really do not do anything.  This is also expressed by Sri Bhagavan in Verse 30 of
Ulladu Narpadu Supplement.

Once in the Jubilee Hall, radio was on.  Some one was singing. After the song was over, they announced the names of
singer, persons who were playing accompaniments.

Sri Bhagavan said: See, we have listened to the story and also  the names of the persons concerned.  But there is no one
inside the radio. So also our state. Even though the body senses are speaking, there is no one inside.

Bhagavan continued: The concepts of space and time are also concepts only.  There is no time and space really.

A Jivan Mukta has no kartrutvam and he allows his body to go by the way that prarabdham makes it go. Even though
for others it looks as if he is controlled by prarabdha, there is no prarabdha for him.  It is only from the point of onlookers.
When there is no body for a Jnani, where is prarabdha that is acting only upon the body?

Like a coolie who carries a load, drops it at the appointed place and he is happy.  The same way for a Jivanmukta, there
is this load of body.  When time comes, he drops it.  Like the coolie who carries the load, has not feeling of 'I' and 'mine.'
So also in the case of a Jivan mukta there is no 'I' or 'mine'.

The purpose of the body is only for attaining Atma Jnana.  After attaining Atma Jnana, there is no need for the body.
Will anyone keep the leaf after he has eaten the food?

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 10, 2014, 01:55:17 PM »
The Brinjal Stalks:

Once, a devotee sent a sackful of brinjals to the Asramam. After making a variety of tasty dishes for many days, the
remaining brinjals were sun dried and preserved for later use. The discarded stalks were piled up in a heap in a corner
of the kitchen.  When Bhagavan saw the heap of brinjal stalks, He said, 'Why have the  stalks been thrown away?
They can be cooked and served as one of the dishes during a meal.' One of  kitchen attendants exclaimed, 'Bhagavan!
How can anybody eat brinjal stalks!  The stalks are not edible.'

Bhagavan did not reply but took up a knife and started working on the heap of stalks. He removed the outer fibrous sheath
and exposed the tender portion within and proceeded to chop this soft core into tiny pieces.  The attendants followed
Bhagavan's instructions and set to work on the stalks. Soon, they had a basket full of finely chopped brinjal stalks.
Early the next morning,  Bhagavan entered the kitchen and showed the cook how to cook brinjal stalks.  Bhagavan
directed the cook to put a large frying pan on the stove and to fry the chopped pieces in hot oil.  The fried brinjal stalks
were then mixed with broken rice which was boiling  in a large vessel.  When the mixture of brinjal stalks and broken
rice had been cooked well, the seasoning was added and the Uppuma for that day's breakfast was ready. Everybody
found the breakfast tasty that morning,

After having breakfast, Bhagavan went to the Hall and it was a Sunday. Sub Registrar Narayana Iyer, was in the
Asramam that day. Bhagavan saw Narayana Iyer and asked him, after making usual inquiries, 'Did you have breakfast?
Narayana Iyer replied that he had uppuma. Bhagavan asked whether he found anything special. Iyer replied that it was
particularly tasty and had a special flavor. He added, that he thought cabbage pieces had been added  there.

Bhagavan chuckled and said: Cabbage? It was chopped brinjal stalks that you ate!  Everyone present was amazed
when they heard this!

Narayana Iyer added: The touch of Bhagavan's hands must have imparted the unique flavor to the dish. The Grace
of Bhagavan can transform the most unlikely ingredients into a dish fit for the Gods!

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 11, 2014, 01:30:12 PM »
Sri Bhagavan's Jayanti and Bhogi festival in 1941:

That year, Sri Bhagavan's Jayanti which fell on January 13, 1941, synchronized with the Bhogi festival (Bonfire) and so
I went to the Asramam again within a few days after the Christmas vacation, to attend the Jayanti celebrations.  On
the Jayanti Day I composed Pancharatnam in Telugu, saying that the only real Bhogi (Enjoyer) in the Universe is
Sri Ramana and by coinciding with Sri Ramana Jayanti, the Bhogi festival achieved full significance. The verses further
said:

'Make all the past vasanas, as straw, and the entire pile of karmas as firewood. Kindle them with the fire of Chit and then
you have the true Bonfire, for Bhogi Ramana Jayanti.'

G.V. Subbaramayya's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.