Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 201406 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #450 on: September 23, 2014, 09:17:37 AM »
Once the Maharshi set out on giripradakshina  with his disciples by a short-route across the hill. He asked Jacki to go down the hill to the town. Accordingly, Jack left and was sighted by the Maharshi on its way down. Midway on their walk the Maharshi changed course and walked down the hill. As they were descending, Jack was returning from the town. The Maharshi then directed Jack to go back to the ashram. Though reluctant to leave Bhagavan's company, as an obedient fellow, Jack went back to the ashram. Jack was soft and austere in his ways. His daily routine was like this: early in the morning he would visit a devadasi's (temple dancer's) house for breakfast and then go to a priest's house to accompany him to the shrine at Guha Namassivaya. After that he would go to Virupaksha cave for Bhagavan's darshan and later to a resting place nearby. Around 9.30 in the morning he would visit the shrine at Guha Namassivaya for prasadam and get back to his place of rest. Again by evening he would visit the devadasi's house for food. After supper he would go to a math to keep company with the priest. To the extent possible he would spend his time in
the vicinity of Arunachaleswara, much like a yogi.

~ from Ramana Leela   
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 23, 2014, 02:45:05 PM »
In the Asramam one can always see peacocks dancing with its blue hued long feathers. There are a lot of peacocks inside the
Asramam atop the towers or on trees.  To see Sri Bhagavan with tonsured head and wearing a koupina and holding a stick,
is to see Him like Pazhani Dhandapani. It appears to me that only after seeing this form of Sri Bhagavan, Amruta Nathar
called Sri Bhagavan whether He is Siva guru.

Amruta Nathar's verse containing the phrases, 'Hari? Siva Guru? Vara ruchi? Yathi varan... seems apt to my understanding
of Sri Bhagavan.

Kanakmmal's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 23, 2014, 03:55:18 PM »
Major Chadwick and Veda Patasala:

Major Chadwick was living in the Asramam premises right from 1935. He himself built a small cottage with the help
of masons.  He used to attend Veda Parayana evening and morning without fail and with great attention.  He was
very good at dhayana.  He had lot of affection towards the students of Veda Patasala and he used to gift sweets and
new dhotis and angavastrams for every Deepavali day.  He only arranged for Sri Chakra Puja and he was personally
attending it without fail.  On every Friday, full moon day and Tamizh months first days, he arranged for Sri Chakra
Puja. He used to remain from beginning to end on all such pujas.  Every year there used to be a Sri Vidya Homam
and he arranged for that too by donating money.  Veda Pata sala was started with 8 boys and he arranged for starting
the Veda Patasala and also obtained donations for continuous running for Veda Patasala.  He arranged for teachers who
could teach Vedas.  Raju Sastrigal, and later Vaidyanatha Sastrigal and then Panchu Sastrigal were the teachers for
the Patasala. 

In his room he used to place a photo of Sri Dakshinamurti and did puja and dhyana by himself.  Every month on
first of the month as per English calendar, he arranged for puja for Sri Dakshinamurti in Mother's temple.

(Sri Bhagavan used to say that Chadwick was from India only and due to some vasanas, he took birth in West
and had come back to India.)

Kunju Swami's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 24, 2014, 02:18:09 PM »
Once there was a letter from Ramakrishna Swami (the friend of Kunju Swami) saying that his (Ramakrishna swami's) younger
brother, who was studying in high school, moved with a sadhu closely and the sadhu taught him how to concentrate on
Sushumna Nadi and also taught him the method.

Vasu started doing accordingly, due to imperfect practice, his brain was affected and he started crying always, 'Naryayana!
Arunachleswara' etc., He did not get proper sleep. Ramakrishna Swami requested Kunju Swami to come down to Palakkad
and set him right. Accordingly, Kunju Swami took permission from Sri Bhhagavan.  Sri Bhagavan asked Kunju Swami to
start immediately and accordingly Kunju Swami left to Katpadi to catch train for Palakkad.  He had only some money for
train ticket. On that day a devotee, brought a lot of pooris and served all.  Sri Bhagavan, surprisingly took more pooris
than the usual two, and He took only one poori on that day and gave the remaining to Kunju Swami after parceling in
paper. Kunju Swami was surprised because he had no money for food. 

Kunju Swami went to Palakkad. On the way, he took only two pooris during journey and then took the remaining as
Prasadam for Vasu and others.

On reaching Palakkad, he told Vasu:  You must meditate on Bhagavan and according to Bhagavan's teaching, you should
only direct the mind to Heart and and Heart should be your goal.  Vasu did not understand much. But Kunju Swami told
his people to repeat the advice to Vasu and then Kunju Swami gave the pooris as prasadam. He said Vasu's people that
Vasu is sure to get cured. He spent  a few days in Palakkad and then returned.  He came to know later that Vasu was
completely cured after a few days. 

Thereafter, Vasu came for Sri Bhagavan's darshan to Tiruvannamalai often and got His blessings.  He remained as a
bachelor throughout his life and even worked in Army and later in the year 1958, after retirement, he passed away.

Kunju Swami's reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 24, 2014, 02:32:58 PM »
Once it was a Margazhi (Dhanur) month in 1946.  During Margazhi, Sri Bhagavan and devotees used to be ready even
at 5.00 am to listen to Veda Parayanam and also the devotees used to sing Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai and Tiruvachakam.
At that time Sri Bhagavan was staying in the Jubilee Hall (the present Samadhi Hall).  Since it was a cold morning, Sri
Bhagavan used to have a shawl around His shoulders. 

Dasaangam used to be placed in the small kummutti (an old iron gadget for making fire and cooking) and the dasaangam
used to bring out nice smelling smoke and also heat.

Once devotees placed a larger quantity of dasaangam and the smoke was too much.  It caused choking for Sri Bhagavan.
His face became red due to sneezing. 

Sri Bhagavan with indignation said:  Oh, you are placing a lot of dasaangam to please Swami. All right, put more and put
more!

He added: That is why gods are standing as stone idols in the temples. Any amount of dasaangam, they can bear.
No sneezing.  In Margazhi in the day and night six times, they used to place dasaangam on a fire. Swamis in the
temples could bear all these. But what to do? I am still in body. It does not suit me. I am choked.  It is a nuisance for
me if not for stone idols in the temples.

Do you mean Swamitvam means to bear all these?  But this swami should inhale and exhale and there is still life in me.

Then some devotees took away the dasaangam and kummutti.

Kanakammal's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 25, 2014, 01:08:19 PM »
Once when I just then was coming to and staying in the Asramam, the elephant of Arunachaleswarar temple was
going via the Asramam.  The mahoot made the elephant to stand there for some time. Sri Bhagavan who had come
out then asked the Asramites to give some food to the elephant and was standing near the elephant.

An young American saw this and took a photograph.  He went back to America and after a week or so, he sent the
photograph to Asramam, where Sri Bhagavan was standing with the elephant.

On the back of the photograph: It has been written:  A large body who does not know the Atma. And a person who
knows only Atma (and not the body).

Sri Bhagavan explained this to Suri Nagamma and me.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 25, 2014, 01:18:41 PM »
Veera Subbiah Swami's praise of Bhagavan:

Once when I went for some short pilgrimage, I went to Peraiyoor. There I went to Sri Santhalinga Swami's Math.
There at that time, Veera Subbiah Swami, the Head of that Math was ailing and was taking rest. I went and had
a darshan of him too.  When I went to him, he found a note book, where Sri Bhagavan had written in His own
handwriting Ulladu Narpadu.  He then asked me to read the first verse and  I read.,  He asked me to read it three times!
He then enjoyed the poetry of that verse.

He then said: I thought Sri Bhagavan is known for only being still. But He appears to be capable of writing such
wonderful verses. He has not read any Vedanta formally.  But He is able to write such verses.  The depth of the poems
and Sri Bhagavan's personal experience of the Self are only responsible for such works.  You are a Malayalee and still
you can read such difficult Tamizh.  That is also due to His grace.,

Kunju Swami's reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 26, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »
Sri Bhagavan applied Naamaam:

Once one Rangaswamy Iyengar told Sri Bhagavan that he would like Him to have trisurNam along with white vertical line
in the middle. Sri Bhagavan said: No problem. But you should ask Nayana (Ganapati Muni) to first apply Naamam, ie.
red vertical lines and in between a white vertical line.

During lunch, Nayana was sitting for the same. He found that there is naamak katti and TrisurNam.  He immediately
applied the same without hesitation. Then he looked up Sri Bhagavan and found Him having Naamam. Sri Bhagavan
said that since he had applied Naamam, He also had applied Namam.

Everyone was bursting with laughter.

Kanakammal's Reminscences:

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 26, 2014, 03:42:36 PM »
Veera Subbiah Swami's visit to have darshan of Sri Bhagavan:

After his visit to Peraiyur, Kunju Swami narrated to Sri Bhagavan all that had happened there. Sri Bhagavan said:

He is a great Pandit. He has translated Atma Puranam originally in Hindi into Tamizh.  He has also written commentary
on Jnana Vasishtam.  He is also the head of all Vedantic maths, apart from the head of Kovilur Math.  He came to see
me in Virupaaksha Cave. During that time, I was mostly in silence.  The disciples of Veera Subbiah Swami and he himself
had come one day to have darshan of me.  The disciples wanted to ask many questions.  Veera Subbiah Swami told them,
'On your behalf I shall ask Him some clarifications,  Let not everyone talk to Him.'

Then Veerasubbiah Swami asked some questions about Sahaja Nirvikalpa Samadhi and how to do shatvidha abhaasa.

Sri Bhagavan replied with reference to Viveka Choodamani, Drik Drishya Viveka and explained the shadvidha practices.
He became very happy and was surprised about Sri Bhagavan's capacity to answer without even seeing those books.

I was present there and became happy about Sri Bhagavan's knowledge and Veera Subbiah Swami's praising Sri
Bhagavan.

Will not the learned love the learned? 

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 27, 2014, 04:27:46 PM »
Once Sri Bhagavan was telling some stories.  Venkataratnam, the attendant, was massaging His legs. In his interest in
the story, he continued to massage His legs.

Sri Bhagavan was pained by over massaging.  He told Venkataratnam:  If you want to go on massage for long time,
go and catch that pillar and massage it.

Venkataratnam felt bad and asked for Bhagavan's forgiveness.  Sri Bhagavan out compassion told  him: Do not feel bad.
You have been massaging because of interest in the story that I was telling. Do not worry or feel sad for such mistake.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 27, 2014, 04:36:23 PM »
Sofa Gounder:

Narasimha Swami used make simple cooking vessels and stoves for the devotees who were staying in Palakottu.

Pudup Palaiyam Ranga swami gounder helped the devotees by buying plots near Palakottu and nearby areas and constructed
houses for them.

The plots were purchased from one Mottaiya Gounder at cost price.   

Rangaswami Gounder also gifted a sofa for Sri Bhagavan   

This place (not Palakottu, but the outside areas) which were having houses is called Ramana Nagar,

Arunachala Siva.,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 28, 2014, 05:19:55 PM »
Once Bhagavan was going on giri pradakshina, and many followed Him including Lakshmi Ammal who was her neighbor
in Tiruchuzhi.  On the way, Lakshmi Ammal stopped and started plucking flowers from one Sarak konRai tree.
Already she had plucked many many flowers.  Sri Bhagavan saw this and said: Why do you want many flowers?
She replied, 'For puja'. Sri Bhagavan said: Can you not do puja without such large quantity of flowers?
You have tonsured the tree, without a single flower.  Can not the tree look more beautiful with all these flowers?

Lakshmi Ammal became shy and shameful. From that day, she did not pluck any flowers from trees.  She used to look
at the trees with flowers and say: Bhagavane!  This is your beauty.  Why should I spoil your beauty?

Thus Sri Bhagavan demonstrated the verse in Devi Kalottaram, where it is said, do not pluck flowers and make the
tree look desolate .

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 29, 2014, 11:58:12 AM »
Sadhu Natananada:

Sadhu Natananda spent 32 years from 1918 to 1950 with Sri Bhagavan.  Sri Bhagvan's company made him to have
paramaartha sampandham.

One day on a Vyasa Poornima night, he went for giri pradkashina with Sri Bhagavan, Kavyakanta Ganapti Muni
and Kapali Sastri and a few others.  When they were discussing tattva rahasya, in Sanskrit he was wondering
whether he could attain Atmanubhuti at all.  He came back and was sitting in the Hall with his back supported by
the wall and remained motionless without any thought about his body.  When he got relief and woke up he found
only Sri Bhagavan and no others.,

Sri Bhagavan looked at him and said:  Why are you worried about Atmanubhuti?  The power that brought you to me
is sure to attain that one day or other. If you cannot get Atmanubhuti, you shall not have come here at all in the first
place.

Sri Natananada was thrilled at the words of Sri Bhagavan. He believed His words: like a fawn caught in the jaws of
tiger can never escape from it.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 30, 2014, 01:35:52 PM »
The rule for the devotees:

Once Shantammal asked Bhagavan whether she could prepare some snacks for the afternoon.  Bhagavan said: Today is
Sunday. Sub Registrar Narayana Iyer will come from Arni.  He will definitely bring some snacks.

From Arni, Narayana Iyer came., Bhagavan was seeing his coming through the windows. But Narayana Iyer did not enter
the Hall even after a while. He came only by 3.00 pm. 

He told Bhagavan: I have come even by 2.00 pm,. But I was told that devotees should meet Bhagavan only after 3 pm.
since Bhagavan needs some rest.  (This was Manager's order).

Hearing this, Bhagavan said: Oh is it so?

Next day, After lunch, Bhagavan did not enter the Hall.  He remained in the stone slab outside the Hall.   Some devotees
told Bhagavan: It is quite hot. Why are you sitting outside?  You can enter the Hall and take rest in the shade on the sofa.
Hearing this, Bhagavan said: Oh! There is a rule that no one should enter the Hall up to 3.00 pm. If that is the rule,
why should I enter the Hall.  Is this rule only for devotees?

He further said:  Without even bothered about the hot sun, devotees come to meet me.,  To say
that they should not enter the Hall, is it not a handicap for them?  While I am sitting comfortably inside on the sofa,
why should they alone sit outside in the hot sun? 

Then the devotees made it a rule only for them, and since Bhagavan needs rest, He alone can go into the Hall and take
rest.

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 30, 2014, 05:48:12 PM »
One day Sri Bhagavan, was describing the greatness of Satsangha to Devaraja Mudaliar  by quoting  verses from
Jnana Vaasishtam and also from Kurunthirattu. He elaborated, how a Jnani is celebrated and is considered for
Rudra, Vishnu and Brahma to be worth keeping his head on their heads.  If the trimuvarate are not equal to
a Jnani who else is equal to him. He also quoted from Brahma Gita.

Devaraja Mudaliar was impressed very much on hearing that to be a Jnani's Presence is the greatest fortune and
His feet are worth a dharshan. 

He also asked Muruganar to compose a poem under the title Sri Ramana Charana Pallaandu.  Muruganar also
composed one such poem and there he mentioned that "Devarayan makizhum Padam."   

Arunachala Siva.