Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 200485 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #435 on: September 12, 2014, 01:35:38 PM »
Radha - Radhakrishnan (cousin of Kanakammal):

Once Radha was visiting the Asramam.  At that time, someone brought some seeds of flower plants on the sides
of pathways, from Asramam to Palakottu. When that person was about to hand over the seeds to Bhagavan who
was standing there, Radha came hurriedly and said: 'Oh, No., do not give the seeds to Bhagavan.'   The seeds
will not sprout and become  plants.  The seeds will attain Mukti once Sri Bhagavan touches them.'  The visitor
became confused.  He was looking at Sri Bhagavan.  Sri Bhagavan also looked approvingly and smiled.

Then the seeds were taken by some other devotee, and planted on the pits that were kept ready for planting.
Then they watered them.

Arunachala Siva.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 14, 2014, 12:31:29 PM »
There are at least two incidents when an eternal water spring appeared mysteriously to meet Bhagavan's need for water. Even today the spring at Skandasramam and the well at the ashram bear testimony to Arunachala's kindness. In Talks we read There are some water springs on the Hill, e.g., Mulaipal Tirtha and Pada Tirtha, said to have been originated for or by Virupakshi Devar and Guha Namassivayar. There is also Rshabha Tirtha. All of them are in good condition.

At the Virupaksha cave on the hill there used to be acute scarcity of water during the summer months, and Bhagavan and his attendants had to go a long way for water for bathing, etc. When this hardship was being felt most, the sky was suddenly overcast with clouds one evening and there was a terrible wind and storm accompanied by heavy rain. Next morning the entire topography of that slope of the hill where Bhagavan was living was changed almost beyond recognition, there having been heavy landslides with huge rocks dislodged and planted far from where they used to be, and a little rivulet now flowed by Bhagavan's Asramam. The rivulet continued to flow and there was no further difficulty about water. Bhagavan has told me of this incident and it is that he referred to when he sang : "Arunachala Hill! Kindness personified, that out of extreme graciousness, came out in the form of a hill stream".

After Bhagavan came down to the present ashram site, one day it rained heavily and a little away from the samadhi, water had filled up the pit from which earth had been taken to build Mother's samadhi. A few days after the rain had stopped, the water continued to remain there. Chinna Swami and Ramanathan drained the water completely. Clear water welled up again from the spring underneath. Deciding to make use of it for abhisheka, they took the water and showed it to Sri Bhagavan. In the evening when Sri Bhagavan came to the samadhi, he saw the spring. He suggested that they dig 3 feet deep by 3 feet wide in that place. When it was done water started pouring out and this is the well that we find inside the Ashram now. It has never dried up so far. Its water has been used for abhisekha to Mother's samadhi and is now used for abhisekha to Sri Bhagavan's samadhi also.
In Letters Nagamma says When I heard that, I suddenly remembered all the ancient lore where it is stated that all thirthas (rivers), samudras (seas) and devatas go to such Sages as Ramana to pay respects to their lotus feet. I then used to feel that they were all hyperboles because stones and waters cannot walk to the places where great people live. But now, what I find is that without anybody desiring it, all these holy waters, holy ashes and the like are brought by bhaktas and Bhagavan accepts them, saying, They have come. I could now see from incidents that occur in the immediate presence of the Mahatmas that one should read the inner meaning of things carefully. If that is done, it becomes clear that dharma(righteousness) is one thing and dharma-sukshma (the underlying principle of dharma) is another.
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 14, 2014, 02:28:37 PM »

Once it was exceedingly cold in Tiruvannamalai, though it is known for hot summer-like season all the months.
Since it was very cold, one devotee, (T.K. Sundaresa Iyer?) stitched some shirts for Sri Bhagavan and placed them
before Sri Bhagavan saying: O Bhagavan!  This time it is very cold here in this town. Please wear one of these
shirts.

Sri Bhagavan replied smilingly: I am already wearing five shirts.  Why do you bring one more?  Please take them
away, I do not want!

The five shirts mean pancha kosam, five sheaths.

Sri Bhagavan never wore any shirt in His lifetime after coming to Tiruvannamalai.

Arunachala Siva.   

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #438 on: September 14, 2014, 06:27:22 PM »
"i LOOOOOOOOVE stories !"  .... Homer Simpson
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 16, 2014, 02:49:42 PM »
Once in the Old Hall, a devotee, pointing to Sri Bhagavan, a gentleman who was sleeping and said:  Sri Bhagavan, Look, Look!
He is sleeping in the Hall.'  He further added: 'I have been seeing for the past four days.  This gentleman comes here and
immediately starts sleeping!'

Sri Bhagavan smiled and said: Why do you worry?  He is doing the work for which he had come. Is it your job to see who
is sleeping and who is not?  You do the work for which you have come here.

(Source: Kanakammal's Reminiscences.)

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 16, 2014, 03:25:05 PM »
Kunju Swami came to Sri Bhagavan and spent some days with Him and also understood His teachings regarding self inquiry.
He then thought that he could go back to Kerala and pursue his sadhana.  After reaching Kerala he found that he could not
concentrate on Self Inquiry and the mind jumped out most of the time.  He felt miserable and rushed back to Tiruvannamalai
and did Namasakaram to Sri Bhagavan.  He then explained to Sri Bhagavan about his decision and his plight in Kerala.

Sri Bhagavan smiled and said:  The answer is in Kaivalya Navaneetham and asked him to read verses 83 to 93 in Tattuva
Vilakkap Patalam, (Exposition of Truth).

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 17, 2014, 01:53:44 PM »
Vaikunta Vasar:

Once a gentleman by name Vaikunta Vasar was serving Sri Bhagavan as attendant.  He used to sleep in the Hall at night
when Sri Bhagavan was lying on the sofa at night. One day, a snake came near Vaikunta Vasar's bed and almost reached
his pillow, Vaikunta Vasar who woke up right at that time, became so afraid, that he could not even speak coherently.
He showed his hand towards the snake and even for safety jumped on to the sofa of Sri Bhagavan!

On seeing the snake, Sri Bhagavan smiled like a child and said: Oh, how nice it is! A snake has come and this is your bed
(Vaikunta Vasar is Mahavishnu, and snake, Aadi Seshan is his bed.). You should touch and see it and it will be found to be
so smooth and slippery!

Then Sri Bhagavan found Vaikunta Vasar start laughing.  Sri Bhagavan then said to the snake:  Please go away from this
Hall.  Vaikunta Vasar is afraid of you!

The snake slowly moved out of the Hall and disappeared.

Then Vaikunta Vasar started sleeping, but of course, restlessly that night!

(Source: Kanakammal's reminscences.)

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 17, 2014, 03:52:09 PM »
Kunju Swami's wish to study Vedanta:

Once as per the invitation of PEraiyoor temple Kumbhabishekam, the Naattu Kottai Chettiars who were doing that Kumbhabishekam,
invited some sadhu from Sri Ramanasramam to come and attend. Sri Bhagavan asked Kunju Swami to attend the function.
There he met many sadhus including some from Kovilur Math.  After the function and food, the sadhus of Kovilur Math had
said that in their Math, they are having sixteen books of Vedanta originally made in Tamizh as a syllabus for two years. Kunju
Swami wanted to learn those books and said that he would go back and seek permission of Sri Bhagavan and then come back.
These books inter alia contain Vedanta Choodamani, Sasi vanna botham, Geethasara thaalattu, Kaivalya Navaneetham etc.,

Kunju Swami came back to Sri Ramanasramam and sought Sri Bhagavan's permission for going back to Kovilur to read and
learn those books.  Sri Bhagavan smilingly told Kunju Swami: You want to learn Vedanta. Then you will desire to learn
Siddhanta, then Sanskrit and then kandanam and mandanam. The face of Kunju Swami became sad.  Sri Bhagavan further
said:  If you want to remain in your true nature, that is after successful self inquiry, that is all.  That is the sum and substance
of all books.  What books did I read?'

Kunju Swami got now satisfied.  He remembered Upadesa Undiyar verse:

thaana iruthalE thannai aRithalaam
thaan iraNtu aRRathaal undhi para,
thanmaya nittai eethu undhi para.

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 18, 2014, 02:45:10 PM »
An Andhra Lady:

Once an Andhra lady came to the Asramam and she was an expert in singing and also Veena playing.  She came and
sang some songs in front of Sri Bhagavan and also played Veena a few times.

Once she asked Sri Bhagavan: Bhagavan! Have not Sri Thyagaraja and other great musicians sung melodious songs about
gods and attained Mukti?

Sri Bhagavan after sometime said:  Those great musicians like Thyagraja did not sing songs on Rama and other gods and
attained Mukti.  Instead they attained the state of Mukti and so they songs in praise of Gods like Rama.

(Kanakammal's Reminscences.)

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 18, 2014, 07:44:12 PM »
There is an old story, which demonstrates the power of the Guru's silence. Tattvaraya composed a bharani, a kind of poetic composition in Tamil, in honour of his Guru Swarupananda, and convened an assembly of learned scholars [pundits] to hear the work and assess its value. The pundits raised the objection that a bharani was only composed in honour of great heroes capable of killing a thousand elephants in battle and that it was not in order to compose such a work in honour of an ascetic.

Thereupon the author said, "Let us all go to my Guru and we shall have this matter settled there."

They went to the Guru and, after they had all taken their seats, the author told his Guru the purpose of their visit. The Guru sat silent and all the others also remained in silence. The whole day passed, the night came, and some more days and nights, and yet all sat there silently, no thought at all occurring to any of them and nobody thinking or asking why they had come there. After three or four days like this, the Guru moved his mind a bit, and the people assembled immediately regained their thought activity. They then declared, "Conquering a thousand elephants is nothing beside this Guru's power to conquer the rutting elephants of all our egos put together. So certainly he deserves the bharani in his honour!"

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 19, 2014, 02:15:44 PM »
Maha Swami Kanchi Paramacharya and Kanakammal:

Smt. Kanakammal was staying in Tiruvannamalai right from late 1940s and was having darshan of Sri Bhagavan everyday.
She was staying in a small out house.

In 1958, Kanakammal came to Chennai to be with her parents and brothers for some time.  At that time Kanchi Mahaswami
was camping in Chennai and was in Aswametha Maha Mantapam, West Mambalam.  One evening she and her parents who
were all great bhaktas of Mahaswami went to see Him. After prostrating before Him, Mahaswami asked Kanakammal whether
she was staying in Tiruvannamalai. Smt Kanakammal answered - Yes.

With a smile, Mahaswami asked her:

What!  Ekanta Vasam?

Kanakammal : Yes.

Mahaswami: Swayam paakam? (Making one's own food)

Kanakammal: Yes.

Mahaswami: Vedanta Sravanam?**

Kanakammal: Yes. 

Then Kanakammal with tearful eyes, asked for Anugraham of Periyava.

Mahaswami smiled as if consenting for Anugraham. 

Kanakammal was quite happy about Mahaswami's words, Sari, Sari (yes,. yes.,) and felt that the life she was leading
had been approved by Periyava.

** At that point of time, though Sri Bhagavan was not in His mortal coil, Kanakammal was studying Sri Bhagavan's works
and  treatises like Ozhivil Odukkam under Sri Muruganar.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 20, 2014, 04:35:11 PM »
In the earlier years in the Asramam, there were no cooks. And hardly ten people were eating regularly. During that time.
Sri Bhagavan Himself used to do grinding of chutney and making idlis.  By grinding chutney, His fingers developed boils.

On seeing that Kunju Swami felt bad and told Bhagavan: If you permit me, I shall do the grinding. But you will not allow
me being a non brahmin and brahmins will not then eat.  However, I feel bad. He refused  to take chutney for a few days.
Sri Bhagavan noticed this and said: O!  Everything I should do only with your permission!  He started making fun of
Kunju Swami by frequently asking: Can I eat now? Can I go to the Hill now? Kunju Swami became more sad.

So he wanted for a change to leave Tiruvannamalai and stay in Tirupati.   He had booked for that evening 6/30 train.
He kept ready his  two towels and dhotis. 

Sri Bhagavan noticed this and took him to the Hill.  He deliberately walked slowly and Kunju Swami became nervous.

By the time Sri Bhagavan and Kunju Swami covered only half of the pradakshina, the train was leaving Tiruvannamalai.

Sri Bhagavan laughed and said: O Kunju! Fly, fly and  catch your train. 

Then He said: Your Guru in poorvasramam, Kuppaandi Swami told me to take good care of you.  How can you
leave me and how can I leave you?'

Kunju Swami regretted the whole incident and asked for forgiveness from Sri Bhagavan.

(Kunju Swami's Reminiscences.)

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 21, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »
The Mothers who were giving bhiksha for Sri Bhagavan:

1. Right from 1907, when Sri Bhagavan was staying in Virupaaksha Cave, it is Echammal alias Lakshmi Ammal,
who was giving food for Sri Bhagavan.

2. Her sister VeNu ammal also gave bhiksha for Sri Bhagavan. She is the younger sister of Echammal.

3. From 1909, one AlanarathaNNi ammal alias Mudalar Patti also joined to serve food for Sri Bhagavan.

4. Her daughter in law Kamakshi Ammal and her son Subramania Tambiran also joined their parent in law
   Mudaliar Patti in serving food for Sri Bhagavan.

5. Even after moving to Skandasramam, when Mudaliar patti even in her old age continued to serve food since
   Kamakshi Ammal has passed away. 

6. One KaNNammal who was a generous minded rich person, was serving food for Sri Bhagavan in Skandasramam
    days.  She used to bring two big vessels one containing Sambhar bath and one containing curd bath and serve
    for not only to Sri Bhagavan and also to His devotees who were with Him at that time.

7. One Muthammal, a dancing girl and a deva dasi, served food for Sri Bhagavan when He was in the temple.
     But this was only for a few weeks.

(Kunju Swami's Reminscences.)

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 22, 2014, 03:55:45 PM »
Before I came to Annamalai, for permanent stay, a few days before that, there was a wonderful experience for me.
I was sleeping and usually I get up at 4 am in the morning for dhayana.  That night I had no peaceful deep sleep.
When I was in state of half waking, there was a wonderful experience for me.

Sri Bhagavan had come to my bed and sitting near me, He stroked me from head to chest and then said:  What have
you given me?  What great love you are showing to me?  He smiled at me and continued to stroke me.

There was a deep silence in my mind. This went deep in my heart and gave me fullness;  How long it lasted I do not know.
My brother's wife woke me up and said: Kanaka! It is already four O clock. The time for dhayna has come for you.
Please get up.

Even after fully waking, this experience lasted for quite some time, I was not able to concentrate on anything.,

My sister in law gave me permission and so also my parents. I left for Tiruvannamalai in the year 1946 for permanent
stay.

Kanakmmal's reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 22, 2014, 05:24:34 PM »
Kampeeram Sesha Iyer (Gampeeram is a place in Andhra)

Kampiram Sesha Iyer had been having darshan of Sri Bhagavan right from His Virupaaksha Cave. He was working as
a Municipal Overseer in Tiruvannamalai.  He was interested in Ashtanga Yogam. He used to read Sri Vivekanada's
Raja Yogam and Rama Gita and other such books.

He could not understand the teachings of Sri Bhagavan fully.  He gave his books to Sri Bhagavan and asked for clarifications.
Since Sri Bhagavan was in Mouna, He gave the clarifications in bits of small papers. He collected all these from 1900 to 1902.

After his death, after several years, Niranjaananda Swamigal collected those papers and with the help of Sivapraksam
Pillai made into a question / answer form. This was later included in Collected Works of Sri Bhagavan.

Gampiram Sesha Iyer was a devotee of Sri Bhagavantha Swamigal of  Cuddalore and Sri Dayananda Swamigal.

Kunju Swami's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.