Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 201014 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #390 on: November 09, 2013, 04:32:08 PM »

Some say that at a glance of Maharshi or because of his mere presence a current from Him
entered their heart and greatly assisted them.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 24, 2013, 09:40:06 AM »

Several devotees do not go there to talk or ask questions;
they are happiest when visitors do not talk and Maharshi sits still in samadhi giving them the lead.
They are those who have been working on the lines recommended by Him, i.e., Atma Vichara (pursuing the quest ‘Who am I?’).

Arunachala Siva.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 24, 2013, 04:29:55 PM »
Prabhavati got married not long ago. It must have been about a year back. For about two years before her marriage she was staying here. She is a girl from Maharashtra, goodlooking and cultured. She wanted to be a great bhakta (devotee) like Saint Meerabai and so used to sing and dance and say that she would never marry, and she would don ochre garments and behave like a naughty child before Sri Bhagavan. Bhagavan knew that her naughtiness would not leave her until she got married. At last somehow she did get married. Immediately after that the bride and bridegroom came in their wedding attire with their relatives and offerings of fruits and flowers and bowed down before Bhagavan.
After a stay of two or three days she came one morning at 8 o’clock with her husband seeking Bhagavan’s blessings before leaving to set up home in her husband’s place. Squirrels were playing about Bhagavan’s sofa and peacocks were wandering outside the hall. There were not many people; it was calm and
quiet in the hall, the young man bowed down to Bhagavan with awe and respect, took leave of him and stood waiting at the side of the doorway. With downcast looks and bubbling shyness and tearful eyes, the beloved child of the Ashram, while waiting there for Bhagavan’s permission, looked like Shakuntala
trying to tear herself away from the Kanva Ashram. Bhagavan nodded his head in token of permission, and then she bowed down to him.  No sooner had she crossed the threshold than Bhagavan remarked, looking at me, “It was only yesterday, she had the chapter of Krishnavatar in Bhagavata copied out by Sundaresa Iyer.” I said with delight, “When next she comes here, she will come with a child in her arms.” Meanwhile she began to sing a full-throated song full of devotion with voice as sweet as a Kokila while going round the hall in pradakshina (circumambulation). Bhagavan was evidently moved and like Kanva Rishi himself, he said, “Do you hear the hymn from Mukundamala?” My eyes were filled with tears.
I went out and gave her my blessings while she again and again prostrated herself to Bhagavan; then I saw her out of the Ashram and returned to the hall. I do not know if you will consider this an exaggeration, but I may tell you that the stories we have read in the Puranas are being reenacted here and now before our very eyes.

Letters from Sri Ramanasramam-Suri Nagamma

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 25, 2013, 03:57:09 PM »
Sri Bhagavan and Echammal, one of the oldest devotees:

Echammal repeated her visits to the Asramam day after day, and in a few days she could talk of her departed children
and recall facts associated with them without being overwhelmed by tears and without even a bitter pang in her heart.
How the dense cloud of sorrow, the whirlwind of grief gave place to a comparative calm in her breast,
she could not understand. It was all his grace, the kindness of the Maharshi on the Hill.

Arunachala Siva.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 26, 2013, 06:47:22 PM »
Mudaliar Granny

Granny took great liberties with Bhagavan.  During the early days of my stay here she used to bring food and serve it herself to Bhagavan.  She used to place on his leaf a handful of curry and a handful of cooked rice.  One day, Bhagavan reprimanded her saying, ” If you serve so much, how can I eat it,” With great familiarity, she said, “How much is it, Swami,  It is only very little.”There are several other things also to eat.  Should not my stomach contain them all?”  said Bhagavan.”  It is all a matter of the mind, Swami.”  So saying, she served him as usual and left.  Laughing at it,  Bhagavan told people near about him,  “Do you see,  She is paying me back in my own coin (My Upadesa)”.

Letters from Sri Ramanashramam, Suri Nagamma
From the Boundless Ocean of Grace Vol.VIII
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 26, 2013, 07:03:02 PM »
Arthur Osborne

We were sitting outside the hall.  Bhagavan was reclining on his usual couch.   There was a sudden clatter and we saw that a metal shoe horn had fallen to the ground near the couch.   How it came to fall there no one could say   there was no breeze and no monkeys or squirrels were playing about.   The attendant gave it to  Bhagavan who examined it and began demonstrating its use as a spoon.   I was sitting in the front row and explained its use as a shoe horn.   Bhagavan who did not like anything to be wasted asked me whether I would like it   And so I received a gift from him who had nothing to give;  from the Divine Giver who had all to give!

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 01, 2013, 09:54:38 PM »
'A POOR OLD WOMAN'

At 3 o’clock this afternoon, in Bhagavan’s presence they were again talking about Lakshmi when a devotee said, “It seems Arunachalam Pillai purchased Lakshmi, not at Kannamangalam but at Gudiyatham.” Hearing that Bhagavan said, “This was also Keerapatti’s* town.” That devotee asked, “When exactly did she come to this place?” With a smile Bhagavan began telling us her history:

“I myself do not know. Even when I was in Arunachaleswara Temple she was staying on the hill and was visiting me now and then. But it was only after I went to the Virupaksha Cave she began coming to me frequently. She was then living in the Guha Namasivaya Mandap. At that time the Mandap was not as well maintained as at present. It had only a wooden door and wooden latch. She had no other articles than an earthen pot. She used first to prepare hot water in it to bathe and then cook vegetables and food in it. She had only one pot for preparing whatever she wanted. She used to go out before sunrise, wander about the hill and bring back some special leaves useful for cooking as vegetables. She used to cook them tastefully, bring me about a handful and persuade me to eat. She never failed to do so even once. Sometimes I used to help her in cooking by going to her place and cutting the vegetables. She had great confidence in me. She used to go to town daily, obtain rice, flour, dhal and the like by begging at various houses and store them in a big open- mouthed earthen jar. Once in a way she used to prepare gruel with that flour and dhal and bring it with the vegetable curry, saying, ‘Sami, Sami, yesterday one good lady gave me a little flour. I have made some gruel, Sami.’ She believed that I knew nothing. When she was not there, I used to open the doors of that Mandap and find several varieties of foodstuffs in the jar. But then she had absolute confidence in me. She did not allow anyone else into that Mandap. When she could not find any vegetables she used to sit there depressed. On such occasions I used to climb the tamarind tree, pluck some tender leaves and give them to her. She was thus somehow supplying me food every day. She never used to take anything herself. She used to bring all sorts of curries, saying, ‘Sami likes that.’ She had great devotion and attention. Even at eighty years of age she used to wander about all over the hill. She was living there on the hill even before I went there.”

“Was she not afraid of anything?” I asked.

Bhagavan said, “No. What had she to be afraid of? You know what happened one day? I went to the Skandasramam and stayed there for the night. Palaniswami was in the Virupaksha Cave. At midnight a thief got into her place and was trying to get away with things, when she woke up and cried out, ‘Who is that?’ The thief put his hand over her mouth but she somehow managed to shout at the top of her voice, ‘Oh, Annamalai! Thief! Thief!’ Her cries could be heard even at Skandasramam where I was. I shouted back saying, ‘Here I am! I am coming. Who is that?’ So saying I ran down in hot haste. On the way, at the Virupaksha Cave, I asked Palaniswami about it and he said, ‘I heard some shouting from the cave of the old woman, but I thought she was mumbling something.’ Some people were living at the Mango Cave and the Jataswami Cave but no one appears to have heard her cries.

“The cries were heard by the one that had to hear them and Arunachala himself responded to her call,” I said. Nodding his head in assent, Bhagavan said, “Hearing my shouting, the thief ran away. We both went to her, asked her where the thief was and as there was no one, we laughed away saying it was all imagination. She said, ‘No Sami. When he was removing things I challenged him and so he put his hands over my mouth to prevent me from shouting. I somehow managed to shout at the top of my voice. It was perhaps you that said you were coming. He heard that and ran away.’ There was no light there and so we lighted a piece of firewood and searched the whole place when we found the jar and around it several small odds and ends scattered about, we then realised that it was a fact.”

I said, “Her belief in God was profound. Hers is not an ordinary birth, but a birth with a purpose.” Bhagavan merely nodded his head and was silent.

When Gajendra sent out his appeal to Lord Vishnu the latter heard it in Vaikunta and immediately rushed to relieve the distress of Gajendra without telling Lakshmi and without bearing his arms, viz., Conch and the Disc. In the same manner Bhagavan ran to the rescue of his devotee. See the solicitude towards devotees!

- 'Letters from Sri Ramanasramam', Letter 197 (25th July, 1948).

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 02, 2013, 10:18:04 AM »

Once for some years, before he went to Madras, after Maha Nirvana of Sri Bhgavan, Muruganar was staying in one of the houses
near the Asramam.  He was conducting lessons to devotees everyday, on Guru Vachaka Kovai.  One day Ma Ananda Mayi
had come to the Asramam and after visiting the shrines in the Asramam, she said -- I have come to my Father's Place. 

Many people thronged Ma to see her and get her blessings.  Muruganar did not go.  On persuasion to come and see Ma,
the devotees asked him to come and see Ma.  Muruganar said:  'Several years back, I had seen one Jnana Suryan, the Sun of
Jnana.  After seeing Him, my eyes have become blind.  Whom shall I see now?  What can I see?

This is called in Tamizh Deiva KaRpu, the chastity of having only one Guru or god.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 05, 2013, 10:23:20 AM »

Once after a rainy night, there was a puddle outside the Old Hall.  When Sri Bhagavan came out, a frog from the puddle
jumped out and hit Him in the eye.  The devotees became anxious.  Sri Bhagavan's eyes became red due to the frog's hit.
Sri Bhagavan said: "Nothing, the frog is telling me Good Morning!"

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 07, 2013, 09:52:17 AM »
Sri Bhagavan to Amritanatha:

Amritanatha asked if siddhas (those who have attained supernatural powers) exist even now,
if there is a siddha world, and if so what powers they wield.
Maharshi replied that there are siddhas even now, one with Mahesvara and wielding His Powers.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 08, 2013, 10:20:53 AM »
Mr. Humphreys and Sri Bhagavan:

‘When I finished, I was still hungry, and he knew it and ordered more.
 He knows everything, and when others pressed me to eat fruit when I had had enough he stopped them at once.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 09, 2013, 02:47:58 PM »

Sri Bhagavan, animals and birds:

Just as children are given their food first, these dogs, as well as birds, cows, etc., are first given their food and sweets, if any;
and thereafter the beggar-guests, daridranarayana (God in the guise of the poor) , who wait outside, are given their doles of food;
and lastly Maharshi, his guests and inmates of the Asramam take the remaining food. Whether it is coffee or candy, cake or other cooked food these ‘children’ must be served first.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 10, 2013, 12:56:55 PM »
Sri Bhagavan's routine life in the Asramam:

When there are no visitors, and when there is no literary or other work on hand,
He polishes walking sticks, repairs kamandalus (water bowls used by ascetics), stitches leaf-plates,
copies from books in a print-like hand, binds books, and does other useful work.

Arunachala Siva.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 15, 2013, 11:57:03 PM »
One day when I was sitting by the side of Bhagavan I felt so miserable that I put the following question to him: ''Is
the sankalpa of the jnani not capable of warding off the destinies of the devotees?''. Bhagavan smiled and said:
''Does the jnani have a sankalpa at all? The jivanmukta can have no sankalpas whatsoever. It is just impossible.''
'I continued: ''Then what is the fate of all us who pray to you to have grace on us and save us? Will we not be
benefited or saved by sitting in front of you, or by coming to you? What use is there then for family men like me
to gain by coming here to you?''.

Bhagavan turned graciously to me and said: ''Just as a trouble (or arrow) that comes to destroy the head, goes
away carrying with it only the turban, so a person's bad karma will be considerably reduced while he is in the
presence of a jnani. A jnani has no sankalpas but his sannidhi [presence] is the most powerful force. He need not
have sankalpa, but his presiding presence, the most powerful force, can do wonders: save souls, give peace of
mind, even give liberation to ripe souls. Your prayers are not answered by him but absorbed by his presence. His
presence saves you, wards off the karma and gives you the boons as the case may be, [but] involuntarily. The
jnani does save the devotees, but not by sankalpa, which is non-existent in him, only through his presiding
presence, his sannidhi.'''

I was filled with joy. Even today His presence is the most powerful thing and that alone, I am confident, saves me!

Sri Narayana Iyer

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 16, 2013, 12:22:33 AM »
Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

At some other time another visitor started wailing before Bhagavan that he was being quite crushed under the enormity of his sins. Bhagavan asked: “When you sleep, are you a sinner?” “No, I am just asleep.” “If you are not a sinner, then you must be good.” “No, I am neither good nor bad when I am asleep. I know nothing about myself.” “And what do you know about yourself now? You say you are a sinner. You say so because you think you are. Were you pleased with yourself, you would call yourself a good man and stop telling me about your being a sinner. What do you know about good and evil except what is in your mind? When you see that the mind invents everything, all will vanish, and you will remain as you are.”

The Bhagavan I Knew by Voruganti Krishnayya As told to G. Vankatachalam. Translated from Telugu by Surya Prasad Ramana Smrti Souvenir