Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 200111 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #1605 on: June 24, 2016, 07:28:14 AM »

There was one gentleman by name Thinnai Swami.  He came to see Bhagavan Ramana with his family.
When he was taking leave of Bhagavan, Bhagavan merely said, "Iru".  "Be."  He continued
in Tiruvannamalai for another 25 years, and the family left him and visiting him occasionally.  He
was living in a Thinnai, the front portal of a large house.  No bath.  No change of dress.  Food, only
when someone offers.  Such is the magnetic spell of Bhagavan Ramana.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: June 24, 2016, 07:33:13 AM »

It was unusually cold winter and this particular day among the coldest.  Manavasi Ramaswamy Iyer
had two shirts made because he wanted Bhagavan Ramana to be warm with something more
adequate to protect from from the biting cold, than the usual loin cloth and the occasional cotton
towel over His top. 

Lacking the courage to present them personally, he placed them on the stool in front of Bhagavan's
sofa while Bhagavan was taking a walk on the Hill.  Upon His return, Bhagavan saw them and
questioned the attendant.  Just then, Manavasi Ramaswami Iyer]put his appearance and murmured
inaudibly.  "Bhagavan, it was I who put them there.  It is very cold Bhagavan and ....."
But Bhagavan interrupted him, saying, "Did I complain that it was cold?"

"No, Bhagavan, I took the initiative.  I thought Bhagavan should protect Himself."

But Bhagavan wouldn't hear of it.  "No, take them away."

Manavasi persisted and yet nothing would make Bhagavan accept them.  Finally with a tinge
of frustration, Bhagavan Ramana said, "I already wear five shirts", referring to the panchakosas.
Is the sixth one necessary?"

(Manavasi Ramaswami Iyer is famous for his Sarangati Song. Once when he had serious stomach
problem and could not eat anything excepting gruel, for months, Bhagavan Ramana made
him to sit and have lunch with Him in the Asramam.  His stomach pain disappeared once for all.
He wrote the famous Saranagati song.  Even today this is sung at Ramana homes for getting
justified wants fulfilled, through Ramana's Grace.)

(Source: T.R. Kanakkammal's Reminiscences, MP Jan-Mar 2007)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: June 25, 2016, 07:35:45 AM »

Swami Niranjananda Swami felt that the cowshed should not  built as a large one.  But Annamalai
Swami made preparations for a large cowshed.  This was with Bhagavan's silent approval.
Because He knew the course of destiny as a Brahma Jnani, who is aware of the past, present and
future of all devotees and things that would happen.

With Ramanatha Brahmachari, Chinnaswami quarreled for some right reasons.  Brahmachari was
a terrible myopic wearing very thick glasses.  Still, as a Gandhian, he was making the thread with
his charka, the wheel.  Sarvadikari asked him to stop, lest it would weaken his eyesight further,
as he had to look into the slender thread always.  Brahmachari refused.  He lifted him bodily and
rolled him down the steps outside the kitchen.  Ramanatha did not still concede.  Sarvadikari stared
at him and said:  "Do you know who I am?"  Ramanatha Brahmachari politely answered:  If both of
us knew who we are, then we shall not be here."  Ramanatha spoke the Who am I? philosophy in
one sentence!

With Suri Nagamma, again, Sarvadikari did not want her to write the famous Letters from Sri
Ramanasramam, covering the incidents/conversations in the Hall.  Sarvadikari felt, as he had
experience of Paul Brunton, that such devotees might later write books and say that those were
their own ideas!  Suri Nagamma told him that she would stop.  But she continued, stealthily,
writing the days' conversations in the form of a letter, at night, in her small house.  Bhagavan
Ramana knew everything!

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: June 25, 2016, 07:41:14 AM »

It was Chinnaswami's Liberation Day.  He merged with Bhagavan
in the year 1953.

The role of Chinnaswami or Sarvadhikari (means Manager) role is full of mixed aspects.  He was
authoritative, as his role demanded.  He had quarrel with many devotees of Bhagavan Ramana,
starting from Annamalai Swami, Ramanatha Brahmachari and to Suri Nagamma.  But his role as
an efficient administrator of the Asramam can never be under-estimated.

Any Brahma Jnani keeps himself aloof and does not take part in any administrative work.  It is not
his business to run ashrams, feed the devotees, and publish books. The person who takes that
role is the collaborator.  We have seen collaborators throughout the history of religion and philosophy.
We had Ananda for Buddha, we had St. John, who cried under the Cross and about whom Jesus
said to Mary:  "Please take care of him, as your son", were all collaborators. In recent times we
had Swami Vivekananda for Sri Ramakrishna and Swami Niranjananda for Bhagavan Ramana.

Chinnaswami joined Bhagavan, a few months after Mother Azhagamma's joining Her son.  By
that time, he had lost his wife, his only child (T.N. Venkataraman, later, Swami Ramana Padananda)
was left with his sister, a housewife (Alamelu - Athai Alamelu as devotees called her) and came
to Bhagavan Ramana.  Bhagavan knew the course of destiny beforehand and hence permitted him
to stay with him.  In due course, he became the Manager of the Asramam after say, 1924. 

Bhagavan Ramana never interfered with his work.  He kept golden silence whenever the devotees
complained to Him.  But to some, He gave green signal to ahead with certain work without informing
anyone else.  Like Annamalai Swami's construction work.  Suri Nagamma writing her Letters... etc.,
When clashes erupted with Chinnaswami, Bhagavan Ramana kept silent.  Only when Chinnaswami
threatened Annamalai Swami that he would expel him (Annamalai Swami), Bhagavan Ramana said:
Then I shall also go with him!  Things became alright.

Like Ananda, St. John, and Swami Vivekananda, the collaborator was taken to the fold
of Brahmaswarupam - the Guru, at the appropriate time.

(Ideas from Arthur Osborne's article.)

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: June 27, 2016, 07:18:49 AM »

Sivaprakasam Pillai came to Bhagavan Ramana, to ask some clarifications, whether he could
re-marry!  He was quite young, but already lost his wife.  He was working as clerk in Tirukoilyur,
in British India's Revenue Department of Madras State.  But when Pillai approached Bhagavan
Ramana, he asked only about self inquiry and not about his remarriage etc.,  But the fact
remained, that he was obsessed with sexual impulses for many years, despite good progress
in self inquiry and regular darshan of Bhagavan, (who was then called Brahmana Swami).

Pillai visited Bhagavan Ramana, (He was in Virupaksha Cave) almost every quarter from
1910-1922.  He stayed in Tiruvannamalai for 1 to 2 weeks each time.  In 1910, he had resigned
his job.  But he did not permanently stay in Tiruvannamalai.  He was in his home town, but
frequently visited Bhagavan Ramana right through His Virupaksha Cave days (1900-1917)
and later in Skandasramam, (1917-1922).

But his first visit of Bhagavan Ramana was in Guhai Namasivaya Cave, on the Hills.

Pillai never visited Tiruvannamalai, after 1921-22.

He was one of the devotees who had lent some money for buildings that were part of Skandasramam.

After Pillai's merger in effulgence, in January 1948, his close relative, one Sri Manikkam Pillai,
came to have darshan of Bhagavan Ramana. He came and submitted the manuscripts of Pillai's
writings. Bhagavan Ramana asked him, whether there were still any manuscripts which were
not known to Him, perhaps written during Piillai's last days.  Manikkam Pillai said that there were
a few but Sivaprakasam Pillai had asked him to burn them, after his death.
Bhagavan Ramana said:  "It does not matter.  Show them to me."
The bundle was given to Bhagavan Ramana and He took out only one paper and returned the
rest to Manikkam Pilai.   This is Sri Ramana Vachana Saram, written by Pillai and this has been
published along with Pillai's poems in a book titled Sri Ramana Pada Maalai by Sri Ramanasramam.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: June 28, 2016, 07:29:54 AM »

Bhagavan Ramana's humor is itself quite harmless. His children(the devotees) were also making
jokes like Him, without harming anyone and at the same time revealing highest Truth.

Once one kitchen server, I think it is Sampurnamma, served Bhagavan Ramana with more of rice.
Bhagavan Ramana told her:  It is quite a large quantity.  Sampurnamma said:  "What is
large?  What is small?  It is all in the mind!"

Bhagavan laughed heartily and said:  "O, You are telling my teachings to me!"

Arunachala Siva,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: June 28, 2016, 07:36:23 AM »

K.R.K. Murthy writes in Arunachala's Ramana, Boundless Ocean
of Grace, Volume 6:

1. Once there was a discussion about the foodstuffs such as onions, drumsticks, carrots etc.,
which orthodox people avoid. Bhagavan Ramana remarked that they may do good to the body
but not to the mind.  They may purify the blood and benefit the body but they rouse passions
and are not helpful for the purification of the mind, chiddasuddhi.

2.  Giving up certain fruits, nuts or other foodstuff dear to one, during the pilgrimages to holy
places like Kasi, is one of the practices prevalent among the religious people.  One day Bhagavan
noticed a devotee avoiding a mango on this ground and commented that a better form of 'tyaga' -
renunciation would be to accept whatever one happens to get and not to crave for which
that is not available.

3. Once Bhagavan Ramana also told that one may avoid things that do not agree with one's
constitution and take necessary quantities of suitable ones that do him good.  But maintenance
of body and health should not occupy much attention as it is not our chief pursuit in life.

4. Bhagavan never used to compromise with equality in serving meals.  He never agreed to
accept anything which is not equally shared by His fellow diners.  He was satisfied only when He was
served in the end, after everyone was served.  Even under exceptional situations, He was not willing
to take the food of superior quality unless it was distributed to all. 

5. Bhagavan made people of different tongues in South India quite at home by speaking or
writing in their respective languages.  It requires a great effort to cross the narrow linguistic
barriers and shed the unjustifiable prejudices against other languages and appreciate good
works in them.  Only one who studies one or two languages in addition to his mother tongue
and moves and lives with others has ample opportunities of broadening his outlook and also
reaching others' hearts.  The initial linguistic affinities do not last long and after all, people of
the same mentality flock together whatever their mother tongue is.  Bhagavan Ramana is
particularly adored because He had taken a lot of pains to master several languages and write
His works in the same for the benefit of devotees from various parts.  His glorious example
will continue to influence generations of devotees to put forth their best efforts in this direction
and to come closer by understanding one another better.

(Source:  as indicated above)

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: June 29, 2016, 08:21:17 AM »

Smt. Mathruambal, was the maternal aunt of Smt. Banu Ramachandran, the author of
Spiritual Stories of Bhagavan Ramana, in Tamizh.  When Mathurambal was 18 months old,
Bhagavan Ramana, took her on His lap and wrote a, aa, i, ee... the Tamizh alphabets
on the sand, holding the child's fingers with His hand.  He told the mother:  "Chellamma!
Your daughter's aksharabhyasam, the "first learning" is over.  There is no more worry for her.
Everything is for the good."  Mother Chellamma did not understand anything. The child was
educated upto school.  When Mathuramba was just 18, the parents wanted to conduct her
marriage.  They wrote to Bhagavan Ramana in Tiruvannamalai.  The reply merely said:  For
her, the profession is more important."

The parents thought that Mathuramba should be married off to a professional.  The marriage
took place immediately.  As fate would have it, in the year 1953, Mathuramba's husband passed
away, leaving two young children.  The widowed lady became afraid as to how to live further in this world without any support.  She wanted to commit suicide.  When she attempted, she heard a voice telling:
"You have been educated by Bhagavan Ramana.  Why try to commit suicide?"  Hope returned to her mind.  She continued her education, and also underwent teachers' training programme.  In Periyakulam,
near Madurai, she took up a teacher's post and did her best service for children's education.  She retired recently.  Vilacheri Rangan, the Bhagavan's school mate, Ranga Iyer, ( grandfather ) understood
after a long years, what Bhagavan Ramana meant when He had said:  "The profession is more
important (for Mathuramba)."

(Source:  Spiritual Stories of Bhagavan, Banu Ramachandran. Tamil.)

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: July 02, 2016, 07:19:41 AM »

As soon as S.S. Cohen landed in the Asramam on 3rd Feb.1936 and checked into his cottage
allotted by the Asramam, he found that his bunch of keys for the suitcases, was missing.  He grew
a little nervous but placed the suitcases in the cottage and rushed to the Hall to sit before Bhagavan
Ramana.  He looked at Him and then meditated.  He could not concentrate.  What had happened
to the keys?  How to open the suitcases?  He was in a fix.

After about 30 minutes, he suddenly heard the jingle of keys falling on his lap.  He opened his eyes
and found the keys!  He raised his eyes and found Sri Ramaswami Pillai!  Sri Pillai was
smiling. How come?  The information that S.S. Cohen had lost his eyes, spread to devotees a
few minutes back.  Perhaps with the direction of Bhagavan Ramana or not (I am not sure), Sri
Pillai rushed to the Railway Station.  The Station Master was waiting anxiously with a bunch of keys,
foreign made, so he had concluded that these must be of the foreigner who had alighted the train.
Sri Pillai saw the station master.  The latter explained:  "After the train had stopped, I saw him
(Cohen) getting down from the compartment. In a minute, someone else got into the compartment,
found the keys and deposited them with me.  I guessed these must be Cohen's.  So I was waiting
for someone to come from Asramam, searching for the lost keys.  You have come." so saying,
the Station Master handed over the keys to Pillai.  Sri Pillai swiftly rushed back and dropped the
keys on Cohen's laps!

"The whole universe is but a tiny ripple on the infinite ocean of Satchitananda Ramana.  I meditate
on Him, the sublime indweller of the Heart-Cavity, transcending all thought."

- From Sri Ramana Gita.  Also used as a invacotary verse in
    Sri Ramana Ashottaram.

(Source:  S.S. Cohen's Guru Ramana.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: July 04, 2016, 02:04:06 PM »

Sivapraksam Pillai merged in the effulgence of Siva on the 29th day of Dhanur month, in the year
Sarvajit (1948).  His relative Manikkam Pillai used to come for darshan of Bhagavan often and
in the year 1944 and submitted the work Sri Ramana Sadguru Maalai of Pillai to Bhagavan Ramana. 
Devaraja Mudaliar who was impressed with Pillai's works had already got some works copied in his
personal note book.  He desired to have this Ramana Sadguru Maalai printed. A print order of 1000
copies would have cost Rs. 100 those days. Devaraja Mudaliar had only a spare amount of Rs 40 with
him.  He told the Office that about 400 copies could be printed with that money. However, the Office
took his Rs 40 and added the necessary amounts and got 1000 copies printed!  Mudaliar's joy knew
no bounds.  Bhagavan Ramana wanted Mudaliar to write a preface. When Mudaliar expressed his
incapacity to write in classical Tamizh, Bhagavan told him to write it in English and He Himself
translated it into Tamizh!

Sri Ramana Sadguru Malai:  (Excerpts)

1. Ramana Saduguru!  The "I" knows the body and the world,
that is made up of five elements.  The "I" is aware of the objects
of the sense perceptions through the five sense organs.  The "I"
thinks of the objects perceived by the five senses through the brain
in the body.

2.  When I was enjoying the world instead of finding out the Truth,
by inquiring enthusiastically who this "I" is, you appeared and revealed within
my mind, "You are not the body.  You are of the form of Self-Consciousness.  then you said:
 "If you have the desire to destroy the I-am-the-body ego, think unceasingly that you are not
the body but the Self.  If you think in this way, this thought will destroy the ego and will also
finally disappear.  Then you will shine as Perfection."

4. Ramana Sadguru!  Supreme Self!  Like a deer trapped in a net, not knowing the way
to escape, I fell at your feet again, saying, "Your feet alone are my refuge.  By answering,
"There is no need to get agitated."  You freed me from fear and saved me.  In this
way, you became my Lord, my father and my mother.

9.  My mind does not subside in the Heart.  Instead it rises as the "I", escapes and wanders
about with a great desire to perform karma.  I do not know the reason for this.  If it is due
to my past karma, then when will this obstructing karma end?  Ramana Sadguru!  If I die,
will I get your grace, in my next birth?

11. Handsome Ramana Sadguru!  Through your grace, I realized that I am Consciousness,
not the body that dies.  I should think of myself without losing this Realization.  To lament
instead, "My body has grown old.  What will happen if I lose this state," is a waste of time.

21. Ramana Sadguru! Lord, there is no shortfall in your grace, This is certain. There is no
doubt at all about this. Without, being near you and serving you, how can I destroy my association
with my mind?  It is only the strength of my fate that prevents me from getting this good fortune.
Lord, when will this powerful karma be destroyed?

22.  Peaceful Ramana Sadguru!  Even after taking refuge in you, I did not give up my evil traits.
O Pure One!  I lament over the wrong deeds I commit.  However, I am ashamed both to speak
of these (deeds) before you and to crave your forgiveness.  Consequently, I am in trouble, like an
ant caught in the middle of a stick that has both its ends on fire.

(Tr. David Godman, The Power of the Presence, Volume 1).

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: July 04, 2016, 02:09:53 PM »

Sivaprakasam Pillai came to Bhagavan Ramana, to ask some clarifications, whether he could
re-marry!  He was quite young, but already lost his wife.  He was working as clerk in Tirukoilyur,
in British India's Revenue Department of Madras State.  But when Pillai approached Bhagavan
Ramana, he asked only about self inquiry and not about his remarriage etc.,  But the fact
remained, that he was obsessed with sexual impulses for many years, despite good progress in
self inquiry and regular darshan of Bhagavan, (who was then called Brahmana Swami).

Pillai visited Bhagavan Ramana, (He was in Virupaksha Cave) almost every quarter from
1910-1922.  He stayed in Tiruvannamalai for 1 to 2 weeks each time.  In 1910, he had
resigned his job.  But he did not permanently stay in Tiruvannamalai.  He was in his
home town, but frequently visited Bhagavan Ramana right through His Virupaksha Cave days
(1900-1917) and later in Skandasramam, (1917-1922).

But his first visit of Bhagavan Ramana was in Guhai Namasivaya Cave, on the Hills.

Pillai never visited Tiruvannamalai, after 1921-22.

He was one of the devotees who had lent some money for buildings that were part of Skandasramam.

After Pillai's merger in effulgence, in January 1948, his close relative, one Sri Manikkam Pillai,
came to have darshan of Bhagavan Ramana. He came and submitted the manuscripts of Pillai's
writings. Bhagavan Ramana asked him, whether there were still any manuscripts which were
not known to Him, perhaps written during Piillai's last days.  Manikkam Pillai said that there were
a few but Sivaprakasam Pillai had asked him to burn them, after his death.

Bhagavan Ramana said:  "It does not matter.  Show them to me."

The bundle was given to Bhagavan Ramana and He took out only one paper and returned the
rest to Manikkam Pilai.   This is Sri Ramana Vachana Saram, written by Pillai and this has been
published along with Pillai's poems in a book titled Sri Ramana Pada Maalai by Sri Ramanasramam.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: July 05, 2016, 10:19:30 AM »
Today is the punarvasu star day.  Punarvasu is the star of Sri Bhagavan and also Sri Rama.

On this day, there will be special puja for Sri Ramaneswara Mahalingam.  There will be special
abhishekam, alankaram, and arti today for Sri Ramaneswara Mahalingam.  This will be followed
by lunch with sweets.

Sri Muruganar has sung a decade on  Punarvasu, titled Punarvasu VaNNam.   This is in Sri
Ramana Sannidhi Murai.

Muruganar has given us a decade titled Punarvasu VaNNam in his Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai.

To remember this auspicious day, I give below the verse from Tiruch Chazhal of Muruganar's
Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai:

மற்றுவமை இல்லாத மாதவத்தான் வேங்கடவன்
அற்றவரை ஆதரிக்கும் மந்தநிறை காணேடி
அற்றவரை ஆதரிக்கும் மந்தணிறை ஆயிடில் என்
குற்றுயிரா என் நெஞ்சைக் கொன்றான் காண் சாழலோ. (Verse 1541)

The English translation of Prof. K. Swaminathan is as under:

Unique, unequaled, mighty Master,
Venkata, they say, sustains
The poor and helpless. So they  say.
But look, my heart he has pierced
And left me half dead, What is the game?

Arunachala Siva.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 10:23:01 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: July 06, 2016, 07:36:42 AM »

Major Chadwick (Sadhu Arunachala) writes as random thoughts:

I realize that I have only to strive sincerely and I, too can reach that value of peace, where there
is no more sorrow or trouble, just because the objective world of sorrow and trouble has entirely
ceased to exist.

I see him sitting in the Hall completely detached, entirely unmoved, by the happenings which
seem so momentous to me, his face wreathed in the loveliest of smiles, and an expression of
serenity and beauty on it which it is impossible to describe, or even believe unless you have seen
it for yourself.  And this is an eternal source of hope and encouragement for me.  No books written
in the past, no stories of former saints can convey this same message; after all there is always the
chance that they may have been frauds.  But THIS is absolutely genuine and I am unable to doubt
any longer even if I want to.  And I suppose, that is why people come here and stay.  Here we are on
the bed-rock of certainty in an ever-changing and uncertain world.  Nothing can shake our faith, in
this as long as we have the living presence here before us.

Methods do not matter, attainment does not matter.  Questions disappear, for one gradually begins
to realize that there is nothing, nothing but Him.

"But did'not Maharshi once write some Hymns to Arunachala?", you may ask.  "How do you explain
this if there is nothing?"

I can't.  It is one of those delightful inconsistencies that one must expect to find among Jnanis.  He says
there is nothing and yet writes hymns to God.  But you surely don't expect a Jnani to be cut to your
pattern, do you?  Who are you to be able to say whether a thing is consistent or inconsistent?  Yours
is such a narrow, relative point of view, while his is the Absolute, Universal point of view.  There can
be no comparison.  Anyhow ask him, I can't explain it.  But then I don't much want to.  The Hymns
are beautiful and he wrote them. Surely that is enough!

"But just one more question.  Why did he move, why did he move to Arunachala (from Madurai)?

I can't say, but if you were to ask him he would probably say he has never gone anywhere.
He is where he always was.  Not a very satisfactory answer from our point of view. But from his,
the only one.  He would also probably say that there is only one point of view, the others do not
exist, and leave you to work it out for yourself.  The fact is undoubtedly that for US, he did come and
we are now celebrating his arrival.  And, truly, Tiruvannamalai has been blessed by His Presence,
and all of us who have had the good fortune to sit at His feet.  I doubt if we realize how lucky
we are.

One is inclined to get used to things and take them for granted.  That is the nature of the ego.
But there is no taking Bhagavan for granted, He is always surprisingly different, and that is one
of the great wonders of His Presence.

But, gentle reader, these are only random thoughts.  I am not trying to interpret Bhagavan for
you or explain His philosophy.  That is far beyond me. 

The only person who can write about Bhagavan is the person who really knows Him, and that
only person who really knows Him is Bhagavan Himself.  And it is perfectly certain that Bhagavan
will never write about himself.

You say:  "If there is nothing, why write?"

Yes, why?  The whole thing can be summed up in four words: 

THERE IS NOTHING. BE! 

When one understands those four words, one understands everything including Bhagavan Himself.

Then, there is no more to say.

(Source:  Arunachala's Ramana.,  Boundless Ocean of Grace, Volume 6. Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: July 09, 2016, 07:42:09 AM »

Sometime in 1946, one unknown devotee was seated in the Hall, before Bhagavan and put a question:

Q: You have said here that you know no such period of sadhana. You never performed Japa or
chanted any mantra.  You were in your Natural State.  I have not done any Sadhana worth the name.
Can I say I am in my natural state?  But my natural state is so different from yours.  Does that mean that the natural state of ordinary persons and realized persons are different?

Bhagavan:  What you think to be your natural state is your unnatural state!  With your intellect and imagination, you have constructed the castles of your pet notions and desires. But do you know who
has built up these castles, who is the culprit, the real owner? 

The "I" who really owns them and the "I" of your conception are quite different. Is it necessary that
you put forth some effort to come into the "I" who owns these, the "I" behind all states?

Would you have to walk any distance to walk into the "I" that is always you?  This is what I mean
by saying that no Sadhana is required for Self Realization. All that is required is to refrain from
doing anything by remaining still and being simply what one really is.  You have to only de-hypnotize
yourself of your unnatural state.

Then, you have asked whether there is any difference between the natural state of ordinary persons
and the realized persons.  What have they realized?  They can realize only what is real in them. 
What is real in them is real in you also, so where is the difference?

"Even then, some may ask", the Maharshi continued, reminding me so vividly of those Upanishadic Rishis, "where is the conviction that one's Self is 'sakshat' all right, that no sadhana is required at all
for Self Realization?  Well do you need anybody to come and convince you that you are seated before
me and talking to me? You know for certain that you are seated before me and talking to me."   

....."You can doubt and question everything but how can you doubt the "I" that questions everything?
That "I" is your natural state.  Would you have to labor or do Sadhana to come into this natural
state?"

(Source: Arunachala's Ramana, Boundless Ocean of Grace, Volume 6.
Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: July 10, 2016, 07:16:37 AM »

Bugs on the sofa and the coolie:

Because Bhagavan Ramana did not want even the bugs in His sofa to be killed, He said that
He did not know the thief.  But if that thief could 'feel' Bhagavan's mercy and have his attitude
to undergo change thenceforth, that is a great spiritual improvement, is it not?  This was
precisely what He wanted to do about the coolie who was misbehaving with a lady-laborer.
But Asramam authorities 'punished' him and he went away in anger and shame.

Arunachala Siva.