Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 199329 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #1590 on: June 16, 2016, 07:05:44 AM »

Sri Lakshmana Sarma felt that the Sad Darsanam of Kavyakanta
Ganapati Sastri was not the clear-cut description of Bhagavan
Ramana's teachings.  So, he went on altering the Sanskrit verses
of Kavyakanta one by one, some of them, he rewrote entirely.
Bhagavan Ramana did not appreciate it nor did he object to it.
This went on for quite some time, I think years.  Finally, after
Bhagavan's perusal, it was decided to have them published. 
Chinnaswamy was not eager to publish them.  Bhagavan Ramana
Himself went to the office oneday, and told Chinnaswamy to do
something about it.  Then it was agreed upon.  Meanwhile,
Lakshmana Sarma got them printed outside and the books were
ready.  In order not to embarass Bhagavan Ramana, Chinnaswamy
got the copies hurriedly from the publisher and pasted Sri Ramanasramam, on the first page, 
and permitted the sales.

Now Bhagavan Ramana, what did He say, about the whole thing, i.e  writing and reading while the
mind has to be controlled and mano nasam  achieved.  "Writing and Rewriting Sad Darsanam, (ULLadu Narpadu) was itself a Sadhana for Lakshmana Sarma.  Let it be a Sadhana.  Otherwise,
his mind might have been thinking something else. 

Muruganar wrote 30,000 poems.  Bhagavan Ramana must have told
the same thing about this too.  Instead of having some other thoughts, it is better
to have Ramana thoughts, which I trust, is a good Sadhana, particularly for fellows who
cannot control the mind.

David Godman, after realization, wrote about 9 large volume books.  Each devotee worth his name wrote their reminscences.  Robert Butler and Sri Sadhu Om also wrote many books.  There are at least, 6 standard meanings and commentaries for Sri Arunachala Akshara Mana Malai.  Recently, one more has come out from Prof. K. Swaminathan's family of next generation.  All these were written as part of the writer's
sadhana.  There is nothing beyond that. Definitely no financial benefit.  Regarding ego-bulging aspects,
I honestly submit, I have no such qualms.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: June 16, 2016, 07:07:56 AM »

Bhagavan Ramana was as usual sitting on His sofa.  The office people had brought a table fan,
since it was very hot in that summer.  The table fan was making a lot of noise and it often
also got stuck.  Bhagavan Ramana said:  "Why this fan should be here?  I have no work. 
I have got a hand fan and that is adequate for me.  The table fan is making "more speeches ' than me.  Please take it to the office.  In fact, they need the table fan because they work hard!"   

Arunachala Siva

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: June 17, 2016, 09:20:36 AM »
Cow Lakshmi's Day:

The cow donated to the Asramam in 1926 was named Lakshmi by Sri Ramana Himself.  She died in 1948.
She had nine deliveries in all, four of which were on the Jayanti days of Sri Ramana.  At the time of one such
delivery, Sri Ramana's attendant Kunju Swami remarked:  It is auspicious that the cow has delivered the calf
on Sri Ramana's birthday.

Sri Ramana interrupted him to say, 'Correct yourself Kunju, my birth day celebrations are taking place
on the day Lakshmi has calved.

Sri Ramana would visit the cow shed regularly.  Lakshmi also became greatly attached to the Maharshi
and would, on her own accord, walk from her shed, put her head on the Maharshi's shoulder and wept.
He gently stroked her head and said, 'Who has hurt you?  Stop crying .  I am here to befriend you.'
Lakshmi stopped crying, gave the Maharshi a few licks and went away comforted.

Lakshmi would walk into the Hall from her shed a few minutes after the birth of a new calf and stand
mutely before the Maharshi, who would then address her:  'Lakshmi you have come to tell me that you
have a new baby. I will come to the shed and see your child.'

Lakshmi continued through the years as one of the favorite devotees of Sri Ramana.  Whenever she
visited Sri Ramana, He would pay attention to her, stroke her and feed her with plantains, rice cakes,
etc., The possessive way in which she approached Sri Ramana and the attention bestowed on her made
many devotees believe that there was some special bond between them in an earlier birth.  It seemed
hard to explain in any other way the great solicitude and tenderness that Sri Ramana always showed
in His dealings with her.

Many old timers at the Asramam believed that Lakshmi was reincarnation of an old lady by the name
Keeraipatti, who had known Sri Ramana from His earliest days in Tiruvannamalai and had occasionally
prepared food for Him almost up to her death in 1921. Sri Ramana has also referred to the fact of
reincarnation without committing Himself.

It is believed that Lakshmi brought a lot of luck and prosperity to the Asramam, a fact that was mentioned
by Sri Ramana Himself.

On the day of Lakshmi's death the Maharshi sat beside her, took her head into His arms and gently stroked
her neck.  He fixed His gracious gaze on her. She passed away peacefully and was given a ceremonial burial
in the Asramam premises.  A Samadhi shrine built over the grave with her true life statue (though of a smaller
size) is worshipped by the devotees to this day.  An epitaph written by the Maharshi in Tamizh verse
confirms her nirvana.

(Face to Face with Sri Ramana Maharshi.)

Arunachala Siva.                           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: June 18, 2016, 07:38:49 AM »

Sri Sivaprakasam Pillai has also written two long poems titled:

1. Sri Ramana Charita Ahaval -  647 lines -  Ahaval - Tamil blank verse.
2. Sri Ramana Anugraha Ahaval - 207 lines

Anugraha Ahaval has been rendered in English prose by David Godman.  The original Tamizh
version, I think, is not published by Sri Ramanasramam.  So also Charita Ahaval.

Sri Sivaprakasam Pillai has also made the following works, which are brief poems:

1. Vinnappam - Submission.  This gives the summary of Bhagavan
Ramana's teachings and also his inability to comply with them
fully.

A few excerpts from Vinnappam:  Tr. David Godman.

24. "Remain without thinking. If thoughts rise, without trying to
fulfill them, destroy them like enemies.  As soon as a thought
arises, question (yourself), "For whom is this thought?"  (The
answer), "For me" will appear.  Then, think "Who am I?".  By
thinking in this way, the thought that arose will die."

25. "I am Consciousness. What is my nature?" One must constantly think of this. 
When conducting such an inquiry, the obstacles that rise should be defeated by the
above mentioned wonderful weapon, "Who am I?".  Then the restless mind will become
clear and liberation will be attained."  This is what you said.  It is a very difficult path.

27.  Instead of putting up with all difficulties as your will, instead of, destroying this troublesome
ego, that rises as "I" and remaining with the attitude, "Your will is my will", I am going in the direction
of my fire-like mind, growing the feeling "mine", paying greater attention to the body and becoming a
slave of the senses.  I spend my days like this.

28.  The limitless thoughts, rising in many ways, have the "I" thought as their origin.  You said:
"Unless all these thoughts subside, jnana will not arise."  Is it sufficient (merely), to have
given out these precious words?  Ramanadeva, the liberated one, is it not your duty to bless me
with mouna?

2. Sri Ramana Upadesam:

One or two samples:

6. What is the meaning of the statement, "Control the mind?"  It means that even when the
ego and the rest of the mental functions are born, without succumbing to any delusion, one
should destroy them all completely like destroying a great enemy.

9.  "Like the dog that eats human excreta, do not wander seeking women.  If you associate
with these, do not come and stand near me."  Sri Ramana said this (indirectly) to me.  O mind,
did you act according to the injunction?  You yourself think deeply over this.

3. Sri Ramana Vachana Saram:

This is simple 44 line poem telling about the repeated teachings of Bhagavan Ramana that one is not the body or the mind.

I am completing these posts on Sri Sivaprakasam Pillai, one of the greatest devotees of Bhagavan Ramana and whose liberation was confirmed by Bhagavan Himself in 1948.

Since Ramana's real nature is our own real nature Ramana darshan is only knowing myself,
(With His grace).

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: June 19, 2016, 07:33:05 AM »

Question, answer, further question, further answer.  This is endless. This reminds of Gaudapada
Karika and Panchadasi, where the "whether the egg came first or the hen came first"... question
is taken up and answered. (This is of course, regarding free will and destiny dichotomy.) 
Sureswara says in Panchadasi:  "Break the egg and crush the neck of the hen.  Throw them both
to the earth.  Prostrate and pray to the earth, from which was born both the first egg or the first hen."
Then all questions will stop.  No answers will come. It is like, as Bhagavan said, the stick that
stirs the funeral pyre..... in Who am I?  The answer-less state (or further question-less state) is
abidance.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: June 20, 2016, 06:53:45 AM »

Bhagavan Ramana never spoke about in any detail, since the Self has no sex and Bhagavan saw
everyone as Himself, the Self.  No woman and man differences.  But He took people as they
were and graced them to improve.  David Godman mentions about one such question by a
devotee and Bhagavan Ramana said:  "You can sleep with your voluptuous neighbor, provided
you have no sense of doership!"   This answers all the questions.

Once Chinnaswamy drove away a coolie because he was making advances to another voluptuous
lady-coolie.  Bhagavan Ramana did not say anything at all about this incident.  Next day, while
coming down from the Hill, He saw a dog vigorously copulating with a bitch.  He asked a devotee
who was standing beside Him: "Who is going to drive away these dogs?"

Un kaNNil neer vazhinthal kannamma, en kaNNil udhiram kottuthadee..... Poet Subrahmanya Bharati.
If tears flow down from your eyes, blood flows down from My eyes!  Bhagavan Ramana
treated even the most sinful as worth for improvement and not for punishing.  He has also said:
 "I have come here to grace the people and not to punish them.  If I start punishing erring beings,
not even a crow can fly over the Asramam!" 

Arunachala Siva.

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: June 20, 2016, 07:36:17 AM »
Dear Subramanian,

"Bhagavan Ramana said:  "You can sleep with your voluptuous neighbor, provided you have no sense of doership!"   This answers all the questions. "

Bhagavan has answered this in so many different ways.

1. You are not the body.
2. Why do you give so much importance to the body?
3. Inquire who am I?
4. The body will go through all the experiences it has been destined.

etc etc etc.

But our mind will not or rather refuses to understand his answers. The sense of duality (doership) operates in the form of judgments - good, bad, evil, etc.   Doership seeks fulfillment and doership also condemns. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: June 21, 2016, 07:26:42 AM »

Once, the secretary of the Governor of Pondicherry came with his staff to have darshan of
Bhagavan Ramana.  He had brought a large paper with a lot of questions for clarification.
He submitted the paper to Bhagavan Ramana. The questions were in French and
were quite complicated.  Bhagavan Ramana asked me (Balarama Reddiar) to translate them
and tell Him.  I myself found it difficult to translate even though I know French.

Bhagavan Ramana, looked at me and understood my predicament. He then said:  "Alright,
give me the substance, and that will do."

Then with hesitation, I told Bhagavan Ramana about the import of the questions and added
that the gentleman wants the answers not merely in words but also as EXPERIENTIAL.

Bhagavan after a second, gazed at the questioner.  About thirty seconds passed. 

The gentleman started shivering and shaking and his eyes were shedding tears copiously.
He then said in a nervous tone:

"Bhagavan!  Not now.  Not now."

Making the jackals into horses
You made all magic
And turned the entire Madurai,
of the King of South, go in frenzy.
O the Lord of Tiruperundurai!
O the Rare Substance, the remover of sins.
O the floods of Pandya country.
O the Effulgence, rare to witness!
I do not know what to do.

- Ananda Maalai - The Garland of Bliss.  Verse 7.
      Tiruvachakam, Manikkavachagar.

(Source:  Sri Ramana Mathuraanubhavam, Nidimusali Balarama
Reddiar.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: June 21, 2016, 07:30:19 AM »

Desur Akhilandamma writes in her reminiscences:

I do not anything on what I should ask Bhagavan Ramana. I have no capacity even ask Him
any questions.  I was simply going everyday giving some food and greens to Mother Azhagamma
and prostrating to Bhagavan Ramana. 

One day Bhagavan Ramana was sitting after the monthly tonsure and was sitting alone before a bath.
I went and prostrated to Him and submitted to Him:  "Bhagavan!  You should tell something to me
and grace me."  Bhagavan gazed at me and asked: "What should I tell you?  I grew nervous and
there was horripilation on my body.

I kept quiet in fear and anxiety.  Bhagavan understood my predicament and He knows my mind. 
He then said graciously:

"Do not leave your Self."  For sometime, I did not understand anything of these words. 
I did not also know how to practice this "Do not leave your Self."  There was however a lot
of satisfaction and the words were coming back in my mind again and again.  There was
total Peace in me.

Bhagavan remained there seated for quite sometime.  Perhaps, He showed me how to practice
"Do not leave your Self."  I do not know the Vedantic import of these words.  But these words were
enough for me.  After some pause, I told Bhagavan: " Bhagavan! Hot water is ready."  Bhagavan
then left for bathing.

When Desika says:  Be still.
I stood still, drowned in the flood of bliss.

-  Sri Sadhu Om.

(Source:  Sri Ramana Mathuraanubhavam, Desur Akhilandamma.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: June 22, 2016, 07:40:45 AM »

Major Chadwick (Sadhu Arunachala) writes as random thoughts:

I realize that I have only to strive sincerely and I, too can reach
that value of peace, where there is no more sorrow or trouble, just
because the objective world of sorrow and trouble has entirely
ceased to exist.

I see him sitting in the Hall completely detached, entirely unmoved, by the happenings
which seem so momentous to me, his face wreathed in the loveliest of smiles, and an
expression of serenity and beauty on it which it is impossible to describe, or even believe
unless you have seen it for yourself.  And this is an eternal source of hope and encouragement
for me.  No books written in the past, no stories of former saints can convey this same message;
after all there is always the chance that they may have been frauds.  But THIS is absolutely
genuine and I am unable to doubt any longer even if I want to.  And I suppose, that is why
people come here and stay.  Here we are on the bed-rock of certainty in an ever-changing and
uncertain world.  Nothing can shake our faith, in this as long as we have the living presence here
before us. Methods do not matter, attainment does not matter.  Questions disappear, for one
gradually begins to realize that there is nothing, nothing but Him.

"But did'not Maharshi once write some Hymns to Arunachala?", you may ask. 
"How do you explain this if there is nothing?"

I can't.  It is one of those delightful inconsistencies that one must expect to find among Jnanis.
He says there is nothing and yet writes hymns to God.  But you surely don't expect a Jnani
to be cut to your pattern, do you?  Who are you to be able to say whether a thing is consistent
or inconsistent?  Yours is such a narrow, relative point of view, while his is the Absolute, Universal
point of view.  There can be no comparison.  Anyhow ask him, I can't explain it.  But then I don't
much want to.  The Hymns are beautiful and he wrote them. Surely that is enough!

"But just one more question.  Why did he move, why did he move to Arunachala (from Madurai)?

I can't say, but if you were to ask him he would probably say he has never gone anywhere.
He is where he always was.  Not a very satisfactory answer from our point of view. But from his,
the only one.  He would also probably say that there is only one point of view, the others do not
exist, and leave you to work it out for yourself.  The fact is undoubtedly that for US, he did come
and we are now celebrating his arrival.  And, truly, Tiruvannamalai has been blessed by His
Presence, and all of us who have had the good fortune to sit at His feet.  I doubt if we realize
how lucky we are.

One is inclined to get used to things and take them for granted.  That is the nature of the ego.
 But there is no taking Bhagavan for granted, He is always surprisingly different, and that is one
of the great wonders of His Presence.

But, gentle reader, these are only random thoughts.  I am not trying to interpret Bhagavan for
you or explain His philosophy.  That is far beyond me. 

The only person who can write about Bhagavan is the person who really knows Him, and that
only person who really knows Him is Bhagavan Himself.  And it is perfectly certain that Bhagavan
will never write about himself.

You say:  "If there is nothing, why write?"

Yes, why?  The whole thing can be summed up in four words: 

THERE IS NOTHING. BE! 

When one understands those four words, one understands everything including Bhagavan Himself.

Then, there is no more to say.

(Source:  Arunachala's Ramana.,  Boundless Ocean of Grace, Volume 6. Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: June 22, 2016, 07:43:39 AM »

Sadhu Natananda writes:-

Air which is formless, resides in boundless Space and contains one
with it.  Similarly, pure conscious power (Chitsakti) pervades the
perfect supreme Space (Parakasa) in an undifferentiated manner.
{This is called Nada and Bindu}.  In the case of air, two different
aspects, dynamic and static exist.  Similarly, in consciousness there
are also two different powers, parted and whole.  These two are
known respectively as 'mind with form' and 'mind without form'.

MIND WITH FORM is present in the ignorant.  THE MIND WITHOUT FORM is present in
is a spurious form.  It is conscious of adjuncts and manifests sankalpas.

Sankalpas exist because of attachment.  The mind without form,
which is undivided power of Consciousness, is the true nature of
Consciousness.  The mind without form which shines as the Supreme Self in a
Jivanmukta, is free from adjuncts and consequently has the form of Mauna.  Since it
is free from attachment, there is no place in it for Sankalpas. 

Some thoughts do occasionally arise in Jnanis on account of their response to their
environment.  However, such thoughts do not attach to their minds.  Like seeds that
cannot sprout after they have been roasted, these thoughts do not lead to rebirth.

(Source:  Sri Ramana Darsanam, Sri Ramanasramam. Truvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.     

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: June 22, 2016, 09:07:13 AM »
Dear Subramanian,

""But just one more question.  Why did he move, why did he move to Arunachala (from Madurai)?"

I am sure you know (and Chadwick probably did) that  Bhagavan answered this question when he said it was due to his (meaning his body) prarabdha. And he has said elsewhere that everything that a body must experience has been decided at the time of birth. Interesting that these replies are not mentioned here. Instead Chadwick has answered from the absolute standpoint of the Self.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: June 22, 2016, 09:43:05 AM »
Dear Sadhak,

I do not really know.   The story of Bhagavan says that He heard the name Arunachala from a relative
of His.  He also had a constant remembrance of the  word Arunachla from His young age.  He thought
that It was somewhere in the world but did not know where It is.  When the relative told about Arunachala,
He wanted to go there, though strictly speaking, He did not know where It was.  He then proceeded to Arunachala by uttering a lie that He had to attend a special class in the school. When His brother wanted
to pay the fees to the school( where he was also studying), He took the money from a box and proceeded to Arunachala.This is what the story says. Bhagavan Himself has said this later. 

Arunachala Siva.     

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: June 22, 2016, 11:25:30 AM »
Dear Subramanian,

Yes, that is the 'how' of Bhagavan's journey to Arunachala. From what I have read, it happened as you have described. But regarding the 'why',as I recall he replied to a questioner that it was due to his prarabdha.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: June 24, 2016, 07:26:34 AM »

Bhagavan Ramana has said to some new visitors asking about His biography to read the Sri Ramana Ashottaram of Sri Viswanatha Swami.  It covers His place of birth, His gothra, His father's name,
His living in Madurai, His Atma Jnana Udayam in Chokkappa Naicken Street, His reaching Arunachala,
His stay in Virupaksha Cave, Skandasramam, His works like Upadesa Saram, Sad Darsanam,
Arunachala Stuti Panchakam, Sri Ramana Gita etc., It also speaks about Matrumukti and finally
ends as Om Sri Purushottamaya Namah.  There are implicit references about His avatara of Skanda.

Arunachala Siva.