Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 200957 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #1530 on: March 19, 2016, 06:48:44 AM »

On 9th Jan 1946, one Mr. P. Banerjee asked Bhagavan:

"What is the difference between Jivanmukti and Videhamukti?"

Bhagavan:  There is no difference.  For those who ask, it
is said:  A Jnani with body is a Jivanmukta and he attains
Videhamuki when he drops off the body.  But this difference
is only for the onlooker, not for the Jnani.

[Ribhu Gita, English translation, The Song of Ribhu gives
a detailed chart as an appendix about these states, again
from the onlooker's point of view.]

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: March 24, 2016, 09:07:12 PM »
Raghavachariar, a Public Works Supervisor at Tiruvannamalai from 1910, paid occasional visits to the Maharshi. One day he went up with intent to submit three questions or requests. The questions, and what followed are best given in Raghavachariar?s own words.
?The questions are:
1. Can you grant me a few minutes for private personal talk - free from the presence of others?
2. I should like to have your opinion on the Theosophical Society of which I am a member.
3. Will you please enable me to see your real form if I am eligible to see it?
?When I went and prostrated and sat, there was a crowd of thirty persons; but they immediately dispersed. So I was alone with him and my first query was thus answered without my stating it. That struck me as noteworthy.
?Then he asked me, of his own accord, if the book in my hand was Gita and if I was a member of the T.S. and remarked even before I answered his queries, ?It is doing good work.? I answered his questions in the affirmative.
?My second question also being thus anticipated, I waited with eager mind for the third. After half an hour, I opened my mouth and said, ?Just as Arjuna wished to see the form of Sri Krishna and asked for darsan,* I wish to have a darsan of your real form, if I am eligible?. He was then seated on the pial (porch) with a picture of Dakshinamurthy painted on the wall next to him. He silently gazed on as usual and I gazed into his eyes. Then his body and also the picture of Dakshinamurthy disappeared from my view. There was only empty space, without even a wall, before my eyes. Then followed a whitish cloud in the outline of the Maharshi and of Dakshinamurthy, formed before my eyes. Gradually the outline (with slivery lines) of these figures appeared. Then eyes, nose, etc., other details were outlined in lightning-like lines. These gradually broadened till the whole figure of the Swami and Dakshinamurthy became ablaze with very strong and unendurable light. I closed my eyes in consequence. I waited a few minutes and then saw him and Dakshinamurthy in the usual form. I prostrated and came away. For a month thereafter I did not dare to go near him, so great was the impression the above experience made on me. After a month, I went up and saw him standing in front of the Skandasram. I told him ?I had a question put to you a month back and I had this experience,? narrating the above experience to him. I requested him to explain it. Then, after a pause he said, ?You wanted to see my form. You saw my disappearance. I am formless. So that experience might be the real truth.
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: March 26, 2016, 06:27:02 AM »

When Bhagavan Ramana was on the Hill, serpents
and peacocks used to remain quiet, friendly to each other
in His Presence.  Panthers which came to tanks and ponds
to drink water, finished their work and went away without
harming anyone.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: March 26, 2016, 06:28:38 AM »

On June 19, 1945, G.V. Subbaramayya wrote his 'Farewell
Prayer' in six Telugu stanzas.  This was titled Abhayam,
Rassurance and Refuge:

The courage that never quails under any distress,
The equal bearing of honor and shame,

The same benevolence towards all,
The gratitude for others' good deeds,

The sense of fullness that Thou art everything,
The eternal devotion to Thy lotus-feet,

The knowledge that every occurrence is Thy doing,
The wisdom that everything happens for the best,

The inquiry "To whom are all these thoughts", "To me"
"Who am I?"

The consequent subsidence of all thoughts
And flash of Reality as Self Realization,

"O Father Ramana, grant to Thy child!"   

(Source: Arunachala's Ramana, Boundless Ocean of
Grace, Volume 5. Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: March 26, 2016, 06:31:08 AM »

In 1945, there was in the Asramam, a small, sickly, lame, puppy that we feared would die at
any moment.  But under Bhagavan's constant care, he not only recovered health but began to eat
iddlies [rice-cakes] daily with so much relish that Bhagavan nicknamed him Iddli Swami.  Relating
this incident, I wrote on June 15, 1945, a Telugu verse meaning:

"O Ramana, you once [as Lord Krishna] straightened
and beautified the hunchback woman of your abounding
Grace. So now you have reared this little lame puppy to
a fine Iddli Swami. How wonderful!"

Two days later, Subbaramayya also composed couple of
verses reading as under:

1. "Seeing you caress peacocks, squirrels, cows, dogs
and monkeys and children with such tender Grace, anyone
must melt to his bonds. O Ramana!"

2. "So many birds and animals coming to you, have attained
deliverance.  Likewise do bless us with Grace this human
animal that has sought refuge at your feet, O Ramana!"

(Source: Arunachala's Ramana, Boundless Ocean of Grace,
Volume 5. Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva. 

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: March 26, 2016, 10:26:32 AM »

A picture of Ramana Maharshi, ?Five Hymns on Arunachala? and the booklet ?Who am I? containing 28 short paragraphs are all a devotee needs to benefit from the Divine Grace directly emanating from the sacred shrine of His grace.
As Maharshi has often said that the proximity of great ones is one of the means to attain breath regulation (kumbhaka): The great ones in their peaceful meditation maintain rhythmic breathing. Those who intently watch them with a view to attaining samadhi, imitate them consciously or unconsciously; and their breath and minds fall in line. This leads to elimination of all cares, worries, and disturbing influences and prepares one for the inward plunge. Devotees do not go there to talk or ask questions; they are happiest when visitors do not talk and Maharshi sits still in samadhi giving them the lead as he is doing even today. Bhagavan has said: ?The Self is within the five sheaths; but books are outside them. Since the Self has to be inquired into by discarding the five sheaths, it is futile to search for it in books.?
Gullible devotees often fall prey to the false belief that one who speaks eloquently about Bhagavan is also a source of Grace like Bhagavan Himself. Modern speakers discoursing eloquently on Bhagavan forget the truth that every word spoken by them obstructs the natural flow of grace from Bhagavan. If fortunate these scholars will one day meet the fate of the scholar mentioned below by Sri Kunju Swamigal. The Tamil adage ?those who have seen him don?t speak and those who speak have not seen Him? is proven true.
?A pundit who came for darsan of Bhagavan stayed for some days at the ashram. Every day he would sit in front of Bhagavan and, with no respite, loudly read out verses from the Upanishad and other texts in Sanskrit. We could not object either, since Bhagavan was himself giving him a patient hearing. This went on for more than ten days, when, one morning, his usual place near Bhagavan was found vacant. Nor could we hear his voice. Instead, we saw the pundit seated in a corner, silent. Seeing my expression of surprise, Bhagavan said in Malayalam, laughing, ?The pundit too has become like us.? How true! Bookish knowledge alone, devoid of direct, practical experience, will not lead one to progress nor help one make others to progress. After expending all his scholarship before Bhagavan, the very sun of knowledge, he was now seated in a corner, spent of all exuberance. Isn?t it too well known that whoever it be that comes to Bhagavan, the learned as well as the unlettered, would be drained of all ignorance, ego, or anguish, and experience utmost peace by his compassionate glance.?
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: March 28, 2016, 07:22:30 AM »

During Bhagavan Ramana's time, when they were renovating Arunachaleswara Temple, they
found a stone slab near the Siva Linga, and on removing it, they found a dark tunnel.  They
immediately rushed to Bhagavan and asked Him what to do. Bhagavan Ramana said: "Do not
try to investigate the tunnel. Please close the stone slab, as it was before."  Arunachala Puranam
says that yogis, siddhas and jnanis who are living in the Hill as forms of bright lights, come through
the tunnel, in their subtle bodies and pray to Arunachaleswara at night. I do not know whether anyone
believes this since we are not believing many things.  Arachelogists have in fact found that the Hill is
as old as the earth itself, geologically, say about 3 billion years old and is older than Himalayas.
But if they try to dig it and find something, they would find nothing, since the treasures may not be
visible to their biological eyes.  Recently, some company took lease of the far-western portion
of the Hill, and wanted to dig and take ferro-aluminum alloy ore.  People in the villages nearby
protested and the project was abandoned under a High Court Order. It is like Mackenna's
Gold.  Gold is there in the Appachian Mountains, but if any one tries to take it, they will not return
alive.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: March 29, 2016, 07:53:58 AM »

Bhagavan Ramana and several other yogis and Jnanis who had lived in Arunachala had a vision
of Arunagiri Siddhar and a Cave having all treasures of the world.  Ordinary mortals cannot have
such experiences.  But people have strange experiences in Arunachala.  Once a Keralite, Sukumaran,
told me, that while in a room, he had a sudden call from Ramana in the early morning around 2 am.,
[not in dreams] to go round the Hill immediately to have his problems solved.  He took his bath and went around the Hill immediately.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: March 29, 2016, 08:00:38 AM »

Prabhavati Devi got married not long ago.  It must have been a year back. For about two years
before her marriage, she was staying in the Asramam.  She was a girl from Maharashtra, good
looking and cultured.  She wanted to be a great bhakta like Saint Meerabhai and so used to sing
and dance and say that she would never marry, and she would don ochre robe. She behaved like
a naughty child before Bhagavan.  Bhagavan knew that her naughtiness would not leave her until
she got married.  As last, somehow, she did get married.  Immediately after the wedding, the bride
and the bridegroom came in the wedding attire to the Asramam, with their relatives and offerings
of fruits and flowers, and bowed down before Bhagavan Ramana. After a stay for two or three days,
she came to Bhagavan one morning at 8'O clock with her husband seeking Bhagavan's
blessings before leaving to set up home in her husband's place.  Squirrels were playing about
Bhagavan's sofa and peacocks were wandering outside the Hall. There were not many people.
It was calm and quiet in the Hall.  The young man bowed down to Bhagavan with awe and respect,
took leave of Him and stood waiting on the side of the doorway. With downcast looks and bubbling
shyness and tearful eyes, the child of the Asramam while waiting there for Bhagavan's permission,
looked like Shakuntala trying to tear away from the Kanva Maharshi's Ashram.  Bhagavan nodded
His head in token of approval and then she bowed down to Him. No sooner had she crossed the threshold, Bhagavan remaked looking at Suri Nagamma, "It was only yesterday, she had the chapter of Krishnavatar
in Bhagavatam, copied out by Sundaresa Iyer."  I said with delight, "She will come with a child in her
arms, when she comes here next year."

Meanwhile, she began to sing in a full throated song full of devotion and voice as sweet as a nightingale
while going round the Hall in Pradakshina.  Bhagavan Ramana was so evidently moved and like Kanva
Maharshi himself, He said: "Do you hear the hymn from Mukundamala?"  My eyes were filled with tears.

(Source: Suri Nagamma, Letters from Sri Ramanasramam,
24th November 1945.)

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: April 01, 2016, 07:39:19 AM »

Destiny takes its own course.  Bhagavan Ramana had the death experience, around mid-July 1896,
and He could not stay in that state for long.  Six weeks went with immense pains.  Everyday,
He went to Meenakshi Temple and cried before 63 Saints, how long, how long?  Destiny fixed it
as end August 1896.  The money came to Him, and He had to utter a lie.  He left Madurai and reached Tiruvannamalai on 1st September 1896.  He went inside the Arunachaleswarar Temple; It was around
10.45 AM. There were none [!] inside the Temple.  He went to Arunachala [linga], and embraced
him.  He found an all-engulfing Light. He said:  "O Father!  I have reported as per Your command!"  Arunachala took care of Him for 54 years!     

Then, think of His departure!  How can He depart?  The body had to go through a little of prarabdha.
He took upon Himself, a terrific disease, for which no medicine was available.  Devotees tried four
surgeries on Him.  He had to find an excuse for departure!  He left as a glorious light.  One sentence,
we should all remember.  He had said:  "Where can I go? I am here!"  Only His body disappeared. 
He is very much with us, once you repose faith in Him.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: April 01, 2016, 07:49:05 AM »

On 6th October 1945, it was reported to Bhagavan that somehow under covers of the leaves,
two mangoes had escaped the notice of the monkeys and had grown to quite a big size and that
they were discovered only that day.  One was taken away by the monkeys and the other left behind.
This made Bhagavan Ramana think of the expression under cover of leaves and by association of
ideas, He thought of a stanza in Prabhu Linga Leela, the 9th stanza in Marula Sanka Devar Gathi
and read out to us a few stanzas, where it is related that once Marula Sankara Deva was living like
a madman near the place, where leaf-plates, after eating were thrown away in front of a Math. 

Neither the head of the Math nor the disciples knew anything about this man.  But when Allamma
Prabhu went that way, Marula Sankara got up and prostrated himself at his feet and Allamma Prabhu
in turn took him up and embraced him. For each knew the other's worth.  Only a Jnani can recognize
a Jnani. One who indulges in charya, kriya or yoga can also be recognized by these activities which
he goes through. But in case of a Jnani there is no such external thing by which we can recognize him.

(Source: Arunachala's Ramana.  Boundless Ocean of Grace.
Volume 5. Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: April 02, 2016, 11:22:39 AM »
D K Pattammal (28 March 1919 ? 16 July 2009) was a prominent Carnatic musician hailing from Kancheepuram in Tamil Nadu. Her father Sri Krishnaswamy Dikshitar was a devotee of Sri Ramana Maharshi. In a video interview recorded by the ashram Smt. Pattammal says with eyes sparkling with enthusiasm that her father took her to Sri Ramana Maharshi when she was only three months old. She also says that her father was a renowned Ganabadigal (knower of special Vedic chanting) who had conducted many yagams. Upon seeing the infant Pattammal, Maharshi asked for some honey to be brought. He took a few drops of the honey and rubbed it on the little girl?s lips which the baby slurped happily. We don?t know if her musical genius and accomplishments were related to receiving honey from Sri Ramana Maharshi but we do read in Talks with Ramana Maharshi (# 362) ?In reply to a query how Ganapati Muni became an asu kavi (inspired poet), Sri Bhagavan said; It is said that while he was making tapasya Siva appeared and gave him milk or honey to drink, after which he became asu kavi.? Fortunate indeed are those fed by the golden hands of Arunachala Siva Ramana!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: April 09, 2016, 07:45:45 AM »

In 1945, Atmakuri Govindacharyulu went to Sri Ramanasramam.  This was his first visit and he
had not heard or read anything of the Maharshi's life.  He went into the Hall.  He saw Bhagavan
Ramana.  He was standing for sometime, as Bhagavan Ramana did not look at him.  A kind of
giddiness came and he joined hands and prostrated Him.  As he stood up, it seemed as
though someone raised him up.  He reflected:  "How is it, that this head which had bowed to
none but Mahatma Gandhi, has prostrated?"

The mind which had worshipped only Rama, became subdued here!  It was inexplicable.  He sat
down near the Maharshi. After five minutes, Bhagavan Ramana suddenly gazed him
and he could not stand it.  He had horripilation.  His mind turned inwards and an unknown force
began to rise throughout his frame.  He prayed:  "You alone are my refuge!"

He had entered the Hall at eight and when he opened his eyes it was eleven.  The three hours had
passed like a moment.

After sometime, a devotee introduced Govindacharyulu to Bhagavan Ramana.  He smiled and then
seemed to say:

"Don't I  know him?"  Just for a moment, Bhagavan Ramana regarded him from head to toe, as
though to infuse him with the nectar of grace.  Then, He asked me in my beloved Telugu tongue:
"Will you be here for a few days?"  Again, I sat happily in silence before the Sage.

(Source: Arunachala's Ramana, Boundless Ocean of Grace,
Volume 5.)

Arunachala Siva.   

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: April 10, 2016, 01:02:50 AM »
Glory of chanting "Arunachala Siva". Please read. Mr. David Mclver was fortunate enough to stay with Bhagavan and under His guidance translate into English almost all the works of Sri Bhagavan. Then, he was attracted to a yogi near Trivandrum, took him as his guru and settled down there. "David who was very fond of me and my wife, felt very strongly that we should also go over there and take his guru as our guru too. His contention was that for spiritual fulfilment a 'physical' guru was absolutely essential and that since Bhagavan never claimed Himself to be a guru, we should leave Him and accept a guru who was prepared to accept us as his disciples. There was a spate of correspondence between us in this regard. All these letters from and to David were "shown to Bhagavan without fail. My replies claiming Bhagavan as my only guru were all approved by Him, with a nod of His head. "One day, I received a nasty letter warning me of dire consequences if I did not immediately leave Ramana and go over to his guru. I did not show this letter to Bhagavan. I was terribly upset over it. I thought I might show it to Him that evening. In the afternoon, I was doing some weeding work in the garden, head bowed and knees bent. Suddenly, I heard a 'thud' sound behind me - some animal jumping down a tree and approaching me from behind. In no time, it got on my back and sat down. I felt it should be a bear for it had a lot of hair and was holding on to me with its hind legs gripping me around my chest from behind. "My feeling at that time was not one of curiosity to know what it was, nor fear, not even unpleasantness; it was calm detachment. I was undisturbed-and continued the weeding work. Noticing my indifference, the animal started increasing its size and weight. Soon I had to bend forward owing to the burden of the back the weight became unbearable.
Still I was undisturbed and felt no fear. Suddenly, it gripped my throat with its hairy hands and started throttling me. I was becoming breathless, the grip was tightening more and more. All this didnt produce in me a tinge of fear. I remained mentally fully alert and undisturbed. I felt I could breathe no more. The grip still continued to be tightening. Without any trace of fear, I felt I was going to die. Then, the miracle took place! At the thought of death I heard within me a sound 'Arunachala Siva! Arunachala Siva! I was not making the sound but something else within me was doing it. The intensity, volume and speed of chanting of the japa increased. It was a delightful experience to hear within you a japa pronouncing itself and at the same time your being aware of the grip of death! As the Japa continued, the grip on my throat started loosening. The size and weight of the animal grew less and less. All the while the ajapa-Japa within me was going on of its own accord. Suddenly the animal jumped away from my back and started running towards the tree-l could hear its steps rushing back. lt climbed the tree and disappeared. Immediately, I got back to my normal senses. The ajapa-japa continued, uninterruptedly. I got up and searched for the beast, but could not find it. I was very happy, listening within me to the chant, 'Arunachala Siva'. "The next day, while Bhagavan was returning from His stroll up on the Hill, I met Him and showed Him the letter and then narrated to Him what had happened the previous evening. Bhagavan with His benign smile, listened to me and when I stopped, He said: "That is all 'they' can do. Everything is all right." By 'they He must have meant the guru who was a past master in black-magic and who made David write to me that threatening letter. Bhagavan was a purna-jnani (Perfect Sage). When you come under the protection of a perfect Sath-Guru even a bad experience caused by black-magic proves a blessing in disguise. I had thus the good fortune of being initiated into the ajapa-japa of 'Arunachala Siva'! Arthur Osborne Past Editor of the Mountain Path magazine and disciple of Ramana Maharshi.   from the fb Rmana Maharishi
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 01:05:55 AM by Balaji »
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: April 14, 2016, 04:33:48 PM »

On the evening of 14-4-1950, I went at 6-30 and stood in the queue arranged for an orderly darshan of Bhagavan and when I got up on the raised mound opposite the door of the room where Bhagavan was sitting, and stood there for a while with my sight concentrated on him and prayed to him mentally, ?Oh Prabho! Won?t you for once radiate on me your compassionate look?? Bhagavan?s eyes slowly began to open and from those eyes, a mild and compassionate look came on me. That was the last time I had the great fortune of his compassionate look.
At 8-47 that night, Sri Ramana, the embodiment of light and enlightenment, left his mortal coil.
(Suri Nagamma in 'Letters from Sri Ramanasramam' 'Brahmanirvana'.)