Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 187544 times)

Balaji

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2012, 04:51:44 PM »
Sri Swami Thapovanji Maharaj, Uttarkasi, Himalayas
Silence is Truth. Silence is Bliss. Silence is Peace and hence, Silence is Atman. To live this Silence is the Goal. It is Moksha. It is the end of this endless cycle of births and deaths. Sri Ramana Maharshi was an embodiment of Silence. He was Silence Itself. Therefore he did not preach the Silence. Only when one comes back to the 'noise' from the Silence, can one preach the Silence. How can the Silence preach itself through Silence ?

Nearly forty years ago, I had the good fortune of having the darhsan of the Maharshi at Tiruvannamalai when he was living there in a cave along with his mother and brother. One midday I, a young Brahmachari at that time, climbed to the cave, saw the Maharshi there, and placing a bunch of bananas at his feet, bowed and sat before him. At the same moment some monkeys jumped onto the scene, scrambled for the fruits and ran away with them.
The Maharshi looked lovingly into my face. That was all. He spoke but Silence; not a word passed between us. A supreme, a dynamic and Divine Silence prevailed. An hour passed by, all in Silence. He rose for his bhiksha. I too rose from my seat, bowed again and walked down the Hill. The Divine Silence sank deeper and deeper into me with each step! Someone came running behind me and pressed me to take some prasad. Thankfully, I declined. I was full, so full with the Silence. The Maharshi called him back and advised him not to press me. Then I continued walking away.
Maharshi was an image of Peace and Silence. It is the first duty of all those who admire and follow him to seek that Divine Silence. The enquiry into that Divine Silence is but the enquiry 'Who am I?'
O Man! Enquire and be immersed in that inner Silence. Do all works of this world to reach that goal, to attain that Divine Silence. The ocean's surface dances in waves, laughs in sparkling foam, roars as its thunderous waves clap and clash! And yet deep in its inner vaults it rests in eternal Silence and Peace. Without such a divine and spiritual depth, the works and activities of this universe prove worthless and aimless.

"Works should be undertaken and pursued to take us ultimately to the workless Abode of Divine Silence and endless Peace." This is the secret doctrine of all our Vedas and ancient Scriptures. —

The Call Divine, 1953

Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2012, 04:57:38 PM »
How The Mantra Came To Me
by T. K. Sundaresa Iyer

The mantra Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya fascinated me greatly in my early days. It so delighted me that I was constantly thinking of Lord Vasudeva. I had a premonition that this body would pass away in its fortieth year, and I wanted to have darsan of the Lord before that time. I fasted and practised devotion to Lord Vasudeva incessantly; I read the Bhagavad Gita and Srimad Bhagavatam with great delight. Then when I read in the Gita that "Jnani tu atmaiva me matam" (In My view, the Jnani is My own Self) it went straight to my heart and the thought came to me, 'While I have at hand Bhagavan Sri Ramana, who is Himself Vasudeva, why should I worship Vasudeva separately?' Be it noted that all this was in my early days before settling down with Sri Bhagavan at His Ashram. So I wanted one single mantra, a single deity (devata), and a single scripture, so that there might be no conflict of loyalties.

Sri Ramana Paramatman became easily the God to worship, His Collected Works the gospel; as for the mantra, it struck me intuitively that Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya (Obeisance to Bhagavan Sri Ramana) might be an exact parallel to Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya. I counted the letters in this new mantra, and was very happy to find it also contained twelve letters (in Sanskrit); I told all this to Sri Bhagavan, and He gave the mantra His approval. Advanced practicers (sadhakas) may laugh at this and say: "Why do you need a mantra while the Ocean of Bliss is there for one to be immersed in directly?" I confess that in this I was trying to conform to the traditional method of practice (upasana), which forms one of the main elements in bhakti (devotion). Sri Bhagavan has revealed His true nature as the All-Witness; yet there is the explicit injunction that Advaita must be only in the attitude and never be interpreted in outer action.

This is how the mantra Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya came to me! –

Mountain Path, July 1973

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2012, 05:03:57 PM »
Om

This is the bija mantra of Lord Shiva, deriving its origin from Soham, which indicates the unity of jiva and Shiva. It also refers to the immanent form of Lord Shiva. It is sometimes called Pranava, which is believed to be the fundamental sound behind all creation.

Namo
Mana in Sanskrit means mind. The mind of jiva goes out towards the world. If the word is reversed, mana becomes nama, which means turning to God or Self within.
Namah is a common ending of most divine names meaning "I turn to you." Thus Namo is grammatically necessitated.

Bhagavate
One who possesses bhaga. There are six bhagas indicative of Divinity. Only God or His true incarnations can possess them. The attributes are all-around power, dharma, fame, prosperity, knowledge and dispassion.

Sri
Has several meanings, but in this context it means "Gracious.

Ramanaya
One who revels in the Self.
So the meaning of the mantra is "I take refuge in the Gracious Divine Lord Ramana."

by T.S.Vaidyanathan , newsletters Arunachala Ashramam

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2012, 05:10:43 PM »

My Pilgrimage to Sri Ramanasramam

by Eleanor Pauline Noye

(a samll part)

I went to the Traveller's Bungalow, as ladies are not allowed to stay in the Ashram at night.
I would like to say here, that the one reason why I had been in such a rundown condition was that I had not slept well for years, although I had been taking medicine, which never gave me any relief. Although I said nothing to Sri Bhagavan about this, the amazing thing was that I slept soundly the first night and thereafter without taking any medicine, though I lacked the many comforts I had been accustomed to. I received "the Medicine of all medicines, the unfailing grace of the Lord, whose name is Heart." I arose next morning, feeling refreshed, as though I were born anew. Soon after, one afternoon, as I was standing by the gate, Sri Bhagavan stopped, while on His way to the Hillside, and asked me if I had more peace. His loving solicitude made me feel quite at home; and when He smiled, my joy knew no bounds.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 12, 2012, 05:15:23 PM »
Dear Balaji,

Nice. Noyce's one characteristic feature was when she was sitting in the Hall, she would keep on shedding tears! 

Devaraja Mudaliar saus: Noyce got Sri Bhagavan into her Heart, by truly and constantly weeping.'

Arunachala Siva.   

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 12, 2012, 05:17:24 PM »
An Interview with Annamalai Swami

Coming to Bhagavan

I came from Tondanguruchi where I had a stall to distribute water to the needy. One day somebody showed me the book Nan Yar (Who Am I?). I saw Bhagavan's picture and was instantly captivated.
I hastened to Tiruvannamalai the very same day, which happened to be a full moon day. When I arrived at Tiruvannamalai, I chanced to meet Seshadri Swami near the Rettai Pillaiyar Koil, close to the big temple, and received his blessings. I then went to Sri Bhagavan.
When I came to the Ashram there was just a shed over the Mother's shrine and Bhagavan was seated there. I also saw Gopal Rao, who was building the Old Hall.
[Before coming to Tiruvannamalai] I had had a dream in which Bhagavan was coming down the Hill. I went up to him and washed his feet with water. On drinking that water, I felt speechless and senseless. When I came here, Bhagavan was coming from the Hill, but nothing else happened like in the dream.
I had read a little before coming here. However, it is true that Bhagavan literally taught me how to read and write. When I asked Bhagavan what bondage and liberation meant, Muruganar was astonished that I did not even know the fundamentals of Advaitic teachings. Bhagavan only laughed in reply. In the course of my work, I once overheard Muruganar sing a line from a Tamil verse, which means, "Even fools have become extremely wise by coming to Bhagavan." I am sure that Muruganar was referring to me when he sang this song.

from thenews letters of Arunachala Ashramam

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2012, 05:21:18 PM »

Disturbing Ants

One day after lunch we noticed lots of ants in the Old Hall disturbing the devotees. Bhagavan asked me to inspect the area and do the needful. When I went and lifted a stone, millions of ants rushed out. I was jumping all over in order to avoid crushing them. When Bhagavan asked me what I was doing, I explained that it would be jivahimsa to kill hundreds and thousands of ants by stepping upon them or by closing the opening through which they came out. He said, "You are not doing it for yourself, it is for the sake of others." He then quoted from Chapter thirteen of Bhagavad Gita where Krishna says that even killing is permitted if it is for the benefit of the world. Upon hearing this, I cleared the area of ants, sealed the entrance and cemented it.
In the days when I still used to live in the Ashram, I once told Bhagavan that I didn't even desire moksha, but just wanted to be saved from the attractions of women. I was wondering what reply Bhagavan would give. He said that it was freedom from this desire that all great people had sought and suffered for.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2012, 05:24:40 PM »

Shadow Bhagavan

Once, there were films being shown at the Ashram, including one on Bhagavan. I wanted to see the film. When I arrived and prostrated before Bhagavan, He said in a stern voice. "So you have come to see the shadow of Bhagavan. This means that you no longer have the real Bhagavan in you and have hence come to see this shadow-Bhagavan." This touched me very deeply.
One day, after this incident, I went up the hill wanting to meet Bhagavan when he returned from his walk. He again looked at me sternly and said, "Why have you come to see me? You have happiness, you have happiness." I couldn't understand his words then, but after a lot of reflection I realized that when one is away from society, one has peace, and that Bhagavan wanted me to avoid the entire society. This is how I interpreted His words.
Bhagavan also said, "Ananda is not what you get from somewhere else. If you follow somebody else's path, it will only lead you to destruction. You have to follow your own self. Go within. That alone will lead you to Ananda." So I interpreted it to mean that I should be alone.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2012, 02:32:23 PM »

The Better Nature of Others

Often I sat at the feet of Bhagavan Sri Ramana and heard his talks. I learnt from Bhagavan that we should not indulge in disparaging talk but rather we should talk of the better nature of others.
Prof. S. stated to Bhagavan that one Swamiji told him that we may prolong life by proper diet and enquired of Bhagavan whether that view is true. The Swamiji died some time ago and Bhagavan replied by a counter question, "Is that Swami alive?" Another devotee in the hall narrated some incident, and said that the Swami boasted about his siddhis and powers, etc. Bhagavan cut short the trend of the talk and narrated another incident: "Once I and some others were ascending the hill to proceed to Skandashram. On the way we met that Swamiji carrying on his head a big pot of water. I enquired why he carried that pot and he replied, 'Perhaps Bhagavan may need drinking water on the hill.' " While narrating it Bhagavan was so moved that his voice choked and tears trickled down from his eyes. I learnt a lesson that we should only talk about the better nature of a person. — T. Krishnaji, The Call Divine, 1966

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 09, 2013, 10:48:47 PM »
Tmt.Kannakambal
One forenoon two Brahmins, whose dress and demeanour spoke of abject poverty, entered the hall. It was known that they earned their livelihood by the wretched and socially demeaning occupation of bearing the dead to the cremation grounds. Both were hungry after having discharged their duties.
Custom demands that anyone entering a house recently visited by death should take a bath immediately on leaving. This stricture applies evermore so if one steps into the cremation ground, not to mention for those involved in removing and physically transporting the departed to the cremation grounds.
A heated argument had ensued between them about the propriety of coming to the Asramam to have a meal without having bathed. While one of them keenly felt the impropriety of transgressing this revered custom, the other dismissed it as impracticable in viz of their extreme hunger. Assured of a meal in the Asramam; which was quite on their way home; they thought they might appease their hunger. They came to the hall and sat down.
One of them excitedly and abruptly said "Swami, I have been insisting on the customary bath before we sit for our meal. Is is not bust just and proper ?" Bhagavan responded in a very soft tone, "No one can say you are unjust". The other at once in a voice greatly agitated burst forth. " The pangs of hunger are so intense that our entrails are being devoured. Is it wrong to eat when hunger is so gnawing?"
Bhagavan quietly replied, "Who says it is wrong? Not at all".
Shocked , looking at one another, they asked in one voice," but then who is wrong?"
Bhagavan answered," Don't think you alone are pallbearers. All of us are carrying these lifeless corpses. This body is a veritable corpse Everybody carries it saying 'I,I'. Whoever has the ' I-am the-body feeling' is but a pall bearer. As long as one has not gone beyond this, one remains as impure and polluted as a pall-bearer. The pollution of bearing a dead body cannot be washed away by a dip in any tank. Bathing in the holy waters of the Atman alone can remove this pollution".
The Bramins, though initially felling vindicated, were now startled and stared at each other. In an instant, the entire complexion of the issue stood transformed. Everyone without exception was equally polluted. All people shared their fate.
The next minute, the two Brahmins were nowhere to be seen. None knew where they had one; to the dining hall for food or elsewhere. But one thing was certain, for their spritual hunger.
Bhagavan's words had been an unexpected feast.

from the Boundless Ocean of grace.Vol.VI

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2013, 06:33:35 AM »
Dear Balaji,

This is one of the many moving stories in Sri Bhagavan's life. The two poor brahmins in fact took  food and went happily.
Sri Bhagavan used to say: "The body itself is disease. If we get disease to the body, we should say disease has come to
the disease. "

Arunachala Siva.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2013, 01:41:55 PM »
Sri Bhagavan once said that even to think of God,we must have the Grace of God. There is no real quest without Grace. When we think of Him, when we meditate on Him, we are not doing anything of our own accord. He makes us think of Him and meditate on Him. We can't take any credit for this ourselves. We are not doing these activities, we are made to do these. The moment we are fully conscious of this, we shall be utterly humble. Whatever happens during meditation, happens because He makes it happen the way it happens. So there is no cause for joy or sorrow.

Sri Bhagavan never said, even once, that he thought of Arunachala. He said that Arunachala made him think of Arunachala and that he was grateful to Him for that. In Verse 3 of Arunachala Padigam Sri Bhagavan says: "I had no idea of thinking of you at all. And yet you drew me with your cord of Grace..." In Verse 49 of Aksharamanamalai, Sri Bhagavan says; "Wealth benignant, holy Grace that came to me unsought..." Everywhere Sri Bhagavan talks about the Grace that was showered unsought. He didn't seek Arunachala, but Arunachala chose him. Sri Bhagavan talks of his own utter insignificance and of the majesty, grandeur and glory of Arunachala. In Verse 5 of Arunachala Padigam Sri Bhagavan says, "From out of all the creatures in the world, what did you gain by choosing me? You saved me, did you not, from falling into the void and you have held me firmly fixed at your feet. Lord of the Ocean of Grace, my heart shrinks in modesty even at the thought of You. Long may you live, O Arunachala, and let me bend my head in praise and worship of You."

from the newsletters of Arunachala Ashramam

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »
There are two Mahans in our country. One is Ramana Maharshi and the other Gandhiji. The Maharshi gives us Peace. Gandhiji does not allow anyone to remain in peace. Both do so for the same reason, for the spiritual freedom of India. — Smt.Sarojini Naidu (1938).

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 15, 2013, 04:26:53 PM »
By Sri Ramanachalam

My father was M.S. Venkataraman of Madurai, who was a few years younger to Bhagavan. He and Bhagavan lived in the same house which was situated close to the Vaigai River. He would join Venkataraman and his friends in their nocturnal escapades. After sneaking out in the dead of the night the boys would go to river bank and practice 'chilambam' (a martial art using long bamboo poles). Once when my father returned my grandfather caught him, tied him to a tree in front of the house and caned him. Venkataraman was watching. Later when my father heard about the young Brahmana Swami dwelling in Virupaksha Cave at Arunachala he paid a visit to him out of curiosity. But the moment he stepped into Bhagavan's presence he began to shed copious tears. To his amazement he found that there was nothing there of the former Venkataraman, his playmate. When he was about to leave, Brahmana Swami asked him in subdued tone, "Is that tree still there in front of your house?"

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 15, 2013, 04:29:42 PM »
Bhagavan story in Tamil

http://archive.org/stream/RamanaMaharshi-kalaimani/RamanaMaharshi#page/n0/mode/2up