Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 199327 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #1470 on: February 06, 2016, 06:58:55 AM »

To jump into the river to help a drowning man, which is done instantaneously, is the pure karma yoga.
"I shall try to help him. But his survival is in God's hands."  is pure nishkamya karma.
Once Bhagavan Ramana was walking on the Hill.  A shepherd came and asked for his missing stick.
Bhagavan took out a fallen branch of a tree, cut it with His pen-knife suitably, polished it with some
herbal leaves and gave that nice stick, to the shepherd.

It is not the job of a Jnani to build schools, hospitals and run cookery classes for housewives. 
This is what most of today's "Jnanis" are doing.  Bhagavan never approved of any of these things.
He said:  "You reform yourself first and then do the reforms outside, if need be."  The need would
not arise, because for a Jnani there is no one else.  But individual help towards people in distress,
Bhagavan always did. 

Arunachala Siva.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: February 06, 2016, 07:23:57 AM »
Subramanian,
May I request you to post your views in the Rough notebook thread and reserve this for stories on Sri Bhagavan please.Thanks.
Namaskar

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: February 06, 2016, 07:54:38 AM »
It is not the job of a Jnani to build schools, hospitals and run cookery classes for housewives. 
This is what most of today's "Jnanis" are doing.  Bhagavan never approved of any of these things.
He said:  "You reform yourself first and then do the reforms outside, if need be."  The need would
not arise, because for a Jnani there is no one else.

Conclusions (by ajnanis) of what a jnani must or must not do are always dangerous. Bhagawan himself allowed a vedapatasala school and a dispensary to run on the ashram premises.

The only point to keep in mind is that there are no hard and fast rules that ordinary people can impose when it comes to jnanis .

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: February 08, 2016, 06:11:26 AM »

After the visit with Ganapati Sastri, I went again to see the Master in the Cave.  The Master
smiled at me and asked one most private question about my life.  I immediately understood
that with His very look, He would read anyone like an open book!

He then gave me some fruits, cooked rice and ghee.  He also gave me a spoon-like implement
made out of coconut shell!  He then gave me some milk out of desiccated coconut.  As I was eating,
He described me very important details of my past life.  He has seen hundreds of people in His life.
But I understood that with His Wisdom-insight, He reads every one like an encyclopedia.

I sat with Him for over three hours and He talked to me many many things. 

I realized that He is a complete Master of Wisdom.

(Source: Glimpses of Life and Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi,
Frank H. Humphreys.  Translated by me from Tamil Version, Guru
Ramana Tiruvadi Vazhvu.)

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: February 09, 2016, 05:44:59 PM »
Maharshi's sympathy gained the confidence of even crows and squirrels. These would come
with their young ones and take eatables from His palm and thrust bits of them into the young
one's mouths. Even a snake once exhibited similar confidence. Snakes were His fellow-lodgers
in several of these caves.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:47:48 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: February 12, 2016, 08:24:34 AM »

Bhagavan Ramana helped Ranga Iyer (Rangan) in many ways to get over his difficulties.
It is all Guru's Grace, that worked miracles in Rangan's life.  He also did that for
Jagadeeswara Sastri, who suffered from colon cancer and was nearing death in Tiruvannamalai
hospital.  When doctors asked Bhagavan Ramana how to proceed further, He merely told them
to continue a particular medicine.  Jagadeeswara Sastri got cured and came back to the Hall soon.
He was present when Kapali Sastri was reading Ramana Gita Prakasa in the presence of
Bhagavan Ramana.  Kapali Sastri became speechless seeing his survival, even though Sastri
looked very weak and thin, he was alive and kicking and lived a few more years.  He did with the
young boy Ramanan, when the latter was bitten by a snake and was black and blue nearing death.
Bhagavan Ramana touched him and he got well.

But Bhagavan Ramana did not want to do such miracles at the drop of His hat.  He did occasionally.
He once told that if He started raising the dead or near-dead people everyday, then the Asramam
would be filled with corpses!  That was not His mission!

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: February 12, 2016, 01:38:27 PM »
Today is the liberation day of Munagala Venkatramiah.  He compiled 'Talks' and this is famous reference
book for looking into Bhagavan's ideas on a variety of subjects and also how Bhagavan dealt with each
aspiring devotee who came to Him. He later had a deeksha name called Swami Ramananda Saraswati.
The book covers four year period from 1935 and 1939. Those devotees who had the good fortune of seeing
Bhagavan will, on reading Talks become naturally reminiscent and recall with delight their own mental record
of the words of Bhagavan Ramana.

Bhagavan has answered a variety of questions like Guru, the glory of Arunachala, the meaning of the
four Mahavayas, etc.,

Sri Ramana's teachings as found in the Talks will bring hope to everyone.

Sri Munagala merged with Arunachala on this day that is, 12th Feb.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: February 13, 2016, 07:13:51 AM »

Both Subbarayan and Natesan were great devotees of Bhagavan Ramana and they did their
work every full moon day. Once when Subbarayan had been quite old, he missed one or two
hairs on Bhagavan's head while tonsuring.  Sarvadhikari said: You are not having good eye sight.
Why not you find someone else?

Bhagavan Ramana said:  What if?  Even if one or two hairs have been missed while shaving, it does
not matter to me.  Why are you chiding him?

After this incident, I think, Subbarayan deputized his nephew for the work.

Arunachala Siva

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: February 13, 2016, 07:16:29 AM »

Suri Nagamma's life is one great wonder.  Even for writing Letters from Sri Ramanasramam,
she had some opposition.  Sarvadhikari did not want her to write anything, after some time.
Bhagavan Ramana kept as usual mum.  But later Sarvadhikari relented and today we have got
2 volumes of her letters which are simple (and not pedantic like those of Munagala and others)
but very revealing in regard to Bhagavan Ramana's teachings.

Devaraja Mudaliar used to make fun of Suri Nagamma calling her as Telugu Secretary of Bhagavan.  Bhagavan Ramana used to refer any matters regarding Telugu poetry to her.  Like that, Muruganar
was His Tamizh Secretary, Kavyakanta was His Sanskrit Secretary and Devaraja Mudaliar himeself
was His English Secretary!

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: February 13, 2016, 07:18:37 AM »

Bhagavan Ramana's humor is itself quite harmless. His children were also making jokes like Him,
without harming anyone and at the same time revealing highest Truth.

Once one kitchen server, I think it is Sampurnamma, served Bhagavan Ramana with more of rice.
Bhagavan Ramana told her:  It is quite a large quantity.  Sampurnamma said:  "What is
large?  What is small?  It is all in the mind!"

Bhagavan laughed heartily and said:  "O, You are telling my teachings to me!"

Arunachala Siva,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: February 13, 2016, 07:22:32 AM »

I am happy to know that your family is known to K.V. Mama and his family.  In fact one astonishing
thing happened when I and my wife visited the Asramam on the Jayanti Day, 1.1.2010. 
I met the father of one Ramana Prasad, my son's class mate in Bishop Cotton Boys' School in Bangalore.
I know that gentleman since our children's school days, and I guessed he must be a Ramana devotee,
from the name of his son.  This gentleman and his wife were talking to us for some time and he
suddenly said that he is the great grand son of Chellammal!  I did not know this information beforehand.
This Ramana Prasad is now working in U.S.  They asked what my son Hari Balaji is doing.  I told him
that he is working in Hongkong. Then he said that his son is getting married on 16th March 2010
and we should attend the wedding and Hari should also make it from Hongkong if possible.
Ramana devotees understand each other like a serpent knowing its legs, as they say in Tamizh.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: February 14, 2016, 06:49:32 AM »

Sri Narayana Iyer, who was a Sub Registrar for long years, with good career record, was suddenly
transferred to Tiruchy, by his senior officer, who had some for no reason, developed some
grudge against him.  Devotees were wondering why Narayana Iyer should have this misfortune for
no fault of his.  Devaraja Mudaliar asked Bhagavan:  "Bhagavan!  Why should such things
happen even to your ardent devotee?  How can you keep quiet?"
Bhagavan, as usual, kept silent.

Devaraja Mudaliar decided to sing the famous Vel Vaguppu, of Arunagiri Nathar next morning in
the Hall.  This song sings about the glories of Vel, the Javelin of Skanda, in removing the obstacles
of the devotees.  He wanted to sing to invoke the grace of Bhagavan for Narayana Iyer. 

When Devaraja Mudaliar was singing in the Hall, the famous lines from Vel Vaguppu:

"When a devotee prays to you with intense love,
And if anyone wants to harm such a devotee,
You shall vanquish him along with his lineage.
You are ever my support..."     

As he was singing this line, Narayana Iyer suddenly appeared in the Hall to leave for Tiruchy.
He prostrated to Bhagavan and left with heavy heart.  But Devaraja Mudaliar found this as
good omen.

After a few days, Narayana Iyer returned to the Hall, with happy news that his transfer had been
cancelled after he reached Tiruchy! He quickly visited the temples in and around Tiruchy and
returned to Tiruvannamalai, for rejoining his job.

You have taken hold of this slave, with your love,
This dog, lowlier than lowly dog, at Your own will,
This birth, which is Maya is ever in your control.
Who am I to investigate?  What is my right?
You give me another birth or place me
At Your anklet-wearing feet, O Lord with eye on the forehead!

-  Kuzhaitha Pathu, Decad on Melting, Verse 8, Tiruvachakam.
    Manikkavachagar.

(Source:  My reminiscences.  Devaraja Mudaliar.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: February 15, 2016, 05:48:43 AM »

The Hill story is like this:  Seeing Bhagavan Ramana, (He was very young then) roaming all
around the Hill, the an cooly lady remarked:  "Fie, You be put in pyre.  summa sivanenu
irrukkapadatha?  "Will not you be still, as Siva, why are you moving
here and there?" 

This, Bhagavan Ramana said was the highest advice for Him.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: February 15, 2016, 05:50:34 AM »

Suri Nagamma's life is one great wonder.  Even for writing Letters from Sri Ramanasramam, she
had some opposition.  Sarvadhikari did not want her to write anything, after some time.
Bhagavan Ramana kept as usual mum.  But later Sarvadhikari relented and today we have got
2 volumes of her letters which are simple (and not pedantic like those of Munagala and others)
but very revealing in regard to Bhagavan Ramana's teachings.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: February 15, 2016, 05:56:34 AM »

Bhagavan Ramana's unseen Presence works wonders even today.  Only faith and conviction are
required.  He can come in any form or he can send any form of living being to help us.  We
do not know His ways, how He operates etc.,  We are wondering whether a Brahma Jnani after
Maha Nirvanam, a birth-less and deathless  state, could come down again to help devotees, in a
form.  Because there is no reincarnations for a Jnani.   In that respect, we should conclude that
His Presence works wonders.

I shall narrate one incident which happened during our first visit of the year 2008.  My wife and I
went in the car.  Usually, we start at 5.00 am, to avoid crowds on the road particularly up to Hosur,
in the Banglore-Hosur Road.  In Hosur, we halted near a very small hotel for coffee.  While I and
my driver went to take  coffee, my wife said, that she would stay in the car and being a small hotel,
one of the servers could bring her a cup of coffee to the car.  When we were away and when she was
holding the coffee cup and saucer on her hands, a boy of about 16 years, wearing a cotton half-trouser
suddenly came, opened the door from the driver's side and started operating the steering wheel. 
My wife became totally afraid and she was calling people.  The boy stopped his 'mischief' with the
steering wheel and checked the cassettes in the dash board.  Then he looked at my wife and said:
"Why are you looking at me?  Why are you looking at me?."...My wife picked up some courage and
offered coffee.  He said:  "Why all this for me?".....  He then left his seat and on the road he
disappeared.  When we came, and when general public came, he could not be found.  My wife was
nervous for sometime.

Around 9.45 AM., we reached the Asramam, took the key from Doctor Srinivasamurthy and then
rushed to the Samadhi Hall, after a quick look at the Hill and Mother Yogamba.  There, after seeing
Bhagavan Ramana's large size photograph taken at the age of 21 (when He wrote WHO AM I?),
my wife exclaimed:  "He only came. He only came.  The same penetrating eyes.  Long nails.
Instead of codpiece, a half-trouser.  Now I remember.  Now I remember....."   She had seen
Bhagavan Ramana's particular photo many times in the books at home.  But she did not recollect
that the boy in Hosur.  She suddenly remembered when she saw the large size photograph in the
Samadhi Hall.       

What is the explanation?  My wife says that there could have been accident to our car in the journey.  Bhagavan Ramana came and set right the car!   I think she should be correct.  How else to explain
this?

Karunaiayal ennnai aandu konda nee, enakku un
Katchi thanthu arulinai enral.....   (Sri Arunachala Padigam Verse 10)

Arunachala Siva.