Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 201667 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #1365 on: November 09, 2015, 05:01:05 PM »
Today is Annamalai Swami's Liberation Day:  09.11.2015:

Annamalai Swami worked as a construction worker.  After the construction work was completed,
he was asked to stay out in Palakottu and not to see Him (Bhagavan) and do Sadhana.  Annamalai
Swami lived there and did Sadhana, eating only coconut, a little jaggary and a mango fruit daily.
He had one  day immense stomach pain and came to the terrace of the building to relax. There he
saw a bright light moving to the summit of the Hill.  He knew that Bhagavan had attained Maha Nirvana.
He did not go and see Him or His mortal coil.  When a person came to him for bath in his room,
he hugged that person and took the rose petals that were sticking to the body, since he had gone
close to the mortal coil of Bhagavan.  Annamalai Swami took the rose petals and munched.

He merged with Bhagavan after a few years.

David Godman has written a chapter about Annamalai Swami, in the Power of the Presence.

Annamalai Swami's talks with Bhagavan and later with some of the devotees of Bhagavan,
who had come from abroad -- are also available.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: November 10, 2015, 06:44:02 AM »

Devaraja Mudaliar writes in his entry dated 26.6.1946:
[abridged]:

Mr. Khanna told Bhagavan:  I have been coming to you and this time, I have remained nearly
for a month at your feet and I find no improvement at all in my condition. My vasanas are as
strong as ever.  When I go back to my friends, they will laugh at me and ask what good my stay
here has done me.

Bhagavan said:  Why distress your mind thinking that Jnana has not come or that the vasanas have not disappeared? Do not give room for thoughts.  In the last stanza of Sukavari by Tayumanavar
[the Ocean of Bliss], the Saint says much the same as is written in your paper.  The verse goes:
The mind mocks me and though I tell you ten thousand times you are indifferent, so how am I
to attain peace and bliss?

Khanna further replied:  It is not only that I find no improvement but I think I have grown worse. 
The vasanas are stronger now.  I cannot understand it.

Bhagavan again quoted the last three stanzas of Mandalathin... of Tayumanavar, [A great Expanse]:  Here in these verses, the mind is coaxed as the most generous and disinterested of givers, to go
back to its birthplace or source and thus give the devotee peace and bliss, and he asked me
[Devaraja Mudaliar] to read out a translation of it that I once made.

Khanna then asked:  The illumination plus mind is Jivatma and the illumination alone is
Paramatma, it is right?

Bhagavan explained that it is more like the glowing red hot iron ball.  The ball glows and can burn
things like fire, but still it has a definite shape, unlike fire.  If we hammer it, it is the rod that receives
the blows not the fire.  The rod is the Jivatma and the fire the Self, or Paramatma.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: November 10, 2015, 09:27:23 AM »
The Death Experience of Bhagavan:

continues.....

This reminds one of the second dhyana sloka of Bhagavan's Ulladu Narpadu, as stated in
Sat Darsanam, the meaning of which runs thus:

"The 'I' thought is the first to die for those who have taken refuge, our fear of death, at the
feet of the conqueror of death.  Thereafter, they are naturally immortal.  Can they ever again
be assailed by the fear of death?

This perfectly relates to Markandeya with a possible minor alteration that it was with 'total surrender'
that he took refuge at the feet of conqueror of death, more than 'out of fear of death'. (though the
story says that fear gripped him on seeing Yama, and so he tightly hugged Siva Linga), which ultimately
led him to 'immortality'!

Time or Kaala, as represented by Yama brings an end to all things, but Siva brings death to time
itself as he is eternal and is beyond time and death. Hence He is hailed as Mahakala and Mrutyanjaya.
The take away from the episode is that one should contemplate on Mrtutayaja Siva, like the young
Markandeya to attain Jnana for it was Siva's Grace that saved Markandeya.

The stories of these metaphysical characters, together with Bhagavan's death experience inspire the
earnest sadhakas to realize the Self, with ever flowing grace of Sad Guru Ramana.

concluded.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: November 12, 2015, 06:48:09 AM »

A vistor came to the Asramam on 10.2.1946 with a book called Sri Ramanopakhyanam.
His name was Thangavelu Nadar.  Bhagavan Ramana told Devaraja Mudaliar that it
was not about anything about His teachings but the one which contained some stanzas
found in some Nadi horoscope of Bhagavan Ramana, with notes and commentaries of another
gentleman who was then editing a Tamizh paper.  Bhagavan added that besides this version,
some other Nadi version of Bhagavan's horoscope have been traced and sent to the Asramam
by different devotees.  Bhagavan Ramana added that there were various people in the country
who claimed to have various Nadis.  We don't know whether they are correct or not.  This
Thangavelu Nadar was originally from Kumbakonam.  There also used to be one Swami at
Tindivanam.  When anyone went to him, he used to tell them:  "You must go and have darshan
of Ramana Maharshi, at such and such time, on such and such date."  This gentleman's name
is also indicated in the Nadi horoscope and they used to come here and tell me about it!

(Source:  Day by Day, Devaraja Mudaliar.)

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: November 13, 2015, 06:40:23 AM »

Devaraja Mudaliar writes in his entry of 2nd Feb 1946
of Day by Day:

One Ananda Swami from Mount Abu, put the following questions and received the answers:

Q:  The books say that the Purusha is angushta pramana. What is meant by this?

Bhagavan: Evidently the books must be referring to the upadhi in which the Purusha is manifesting.
They cannot mean that the all pervasive Purusha is angushta pramana.

Q:  Is that Purusha in the heart?

Bhagavan:  You mean the physical heart.  It cannot be.  But the books describe a heart which is an inverted lotus with a cavity inside and a flame in that cavity and all that. In such a psychic heart
[Heart], the Purusha may be said to abide and the flame may be of that angushta pramana,
the size of a little finger.

[Bhagavan describes this Heart in Sad Darsanam, Supplement.
But He has described it to the devotees only on a few occasions
like this one.]

(Source: As indicated above)

Arunachala Siva

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: November 13, 2015, 06:43:12 AM »

The visitor who had asked about his difficulties in the previous evening [about lust etc.,]
came to Bhagavan Ramana to take leave of Him.  He said:  I have already mentioned about
my difficulties."  Bhagavan said: "Yes, they will go gradually."

Visitor:  I want Bhagavan's Kripa Drishti [grace by gazing].

Bhagavan did not reply.  Only a few minutes before that Colombo Ramachandra's two small girls
had finished singing and almost the last song [composed by his father, an ardent devotee of
Bhagavan] contained the lines,

" He who remains at Annamalai as the gracious Guru,
who casts His glance on them, dissipates their sorrows
and directs them to salvation. "

[The visitor must have understood the meaning]

Source: Day by Day, 30.1.1946. Devaraja Mudaliar)

Arunachala Siva.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: November 13, 2015, 02:44:36 PM »
A story about the Karthigai Maha Radham

There are a number of powerful sacred burial sites dedicated to Sufi saints in Tiruvannamalai, one of the most famous being that of the woman saint, Syedini Bibi.

In 1880 the Darghar in Car Street was built by the Nawab of the time in honour of this great Sufi Saint. Although the burial site faces noisy Car Street, it is renowned for its powerful and peaceful vibrations. It is believed that both Sri Seshadri Swamigal and Sri Ramana Maharshi often sat in meditation at this place, and in more contemporary times the tomb was frequently favoured by Sri Yogi Ramsuratkumar ,Darghar on Car Street

Syedini Bibi came from the middle east in the early nineteenth century. Like many Sufis before her she landed at Nagore on the south-east coast. From there she travelled inland a few hundred kilometers to Arunachala where she settled for the rest of her life.

Little is known about the life of this saint, however there are several famous stories connected with her tomb.

Once such story concerns the Karthigai Festival.

The story goes that the Tiruvannamalai authorities decided to demolish the burial grounds (where Syedini Bibi was buried), in order to widen the road to more easily accommodate the Maha Radham (Big Car Chariot) during the Deepam Festival.

In response to this proposal, many protested against disturbing the Saint?s grave, and the authorities postponed the demolition. The myth that was handed down claims that the postponement came about because during the Karthigai Festival, as the gigantic Maha Radham (Wooden Chariot) passed, one of its huge wheels accidentally knocked the side of Syedini Bibi?s tomb and the Maha Radham immediately burst into flames.
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: November 14, 2015, 06:08:50 AM »

When Bhagavan Ramana was in His last days [ He had pain, which should have been unbearable
for anyone else], the attendants asked Him:  "Bhagavan!  Is it paining too much?"
Bhagavan Ramana said:  "Yes, the body is paining!"  He was not the body or the mind.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: November 14, 2015, 06:10:13 AM »

When Bhagavan Ramana was on the Hill, serpents and peacocks used to remain quiet,
friendly to each other in His Presence.  Panthers which came to tanks and ponds
to drink water, finished their work and went away without harming anyone.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: November 14, 2015, 06:12:21 AM »

God always likes a person who is devoted to His devotees.  Many saints in Periya Puranam,
[e.g. Appoothi Adigal] prayed only to Siva's devotees, like Tiru Navukkarasar.
Yazhapanar, a low caste violinist prayed only to Tiru Jnana Sambandhar and played his violin
only for his songs.

Bhagavan Ramana says in Verse 104 of Arunachala Akshara Mana Malai:

Let me be a devotee of the devotees of the devotees,
who listen to Your name with love!
Please bless so, O Arunachala!

Arunachala Siva

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: November 14, 2015, 06:15:39 AM »

On June 19, 1945, G.V. Subbaramayya wrote his 'Farewell Prayer' in six Telugu stanzas.
This was titled Abhayam, Rassurance and Refuge:

The courage that never quails under any distress, the equal bearing of honor and shame,
The same benevolence towards all, the gratitude for others' good deeds,

The sense of fullness that Thou art everything, the eternal devotion to Thy lotus-feet,

The knowledge that every occurrence is Thy doing, the wisdom that everything
happens for the best,

The inquiry "To whom are all these thoughts", "To me"
"Who am I?"

The consequent subsidence of all thoughts
And flash of Reality as Self Realization,

"O Father Ramana, grant to Thy child!"   

(Source: Arunachala's Ramana, Boundless Ocean of
Grace, Volume 5. Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: November 15, 2015, 06:44:18 AM »

Devaraja Mudaliar writes in his entry of 2nd Feb 1946
of Day by Day:

One Ananda Swami from Mount Abu, put the following questions and received the answers:

Q:  The books say that the Purusha is angushta pramana. What is meant by this?

Bhagavan: Evidently the books must be referring to the upadhi in which the Purusha is manifesting.  They cannot mean that the all pervasive Purusha is angushta pramana.

Q:  Is that Purusha in the heart?

Bhagavan:  You mean the physical heart.  It cannot be.But the books describe a heart which is an inverted lotus with a cavity inside and a flame in that cavity and all that.  In such a psychic heart
[Heart], the Purusha may be said to abide and the flame may be of that angushta pramana,
the size of a little finger.

[Bhagavan describes this Heart in Sad Darsanam, Supplement.But He has described it to the
devotees only on a few occasions like this one.]

(Source: As indicated above)

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: November 15, 2015, 06:46:46 AM »

he visitor who had asked about his difficulties in the previous evening [about lust etc.,] came to
Bhagavan Ramana to take leave of Him.  He said:  I have already mentioned about my difficulties." 

Bhagavan said: "Yes, they will go gradually."

Visitor:  I want Bhagavan's Kripa Drishti [grace by gazing].

Bhagavan did not reply.  Only a few minutes before that Colombo Ramachandra's two small girls
had finished singing and almost the last song [composed by his father, an ardent devotee of Bhagavan] contained the lines,

" He who remains at Annamalai as the gracious Guru, who casts His glance on them, dissipates
their sorrows and directs them to salvation. "

[The visitor must have understood the meaning]

Source: Day by Day, 30.1.1946. Devaraja Mudaliar)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: November 15, 2015, 06:51:09 AM »

Sometime before 31st Jan 1946, someone enquired Bhagavan Ramana:
"People talk of Vaikunta , Kailasa, Indraloka, Chandraloka etc., Do they really exist?"

Bhagavan replied: "Certainly.  You are rest assured that they all exist. There also a Swami
like me be found seated on a couch and disciples will also be seated around him.  They
will ask something and he will say something in reply. Everything will be more or less like this.
What of that? If one sees Chandraloka, he will ask for Indraloka, and after Indraloka, Vaikunta
and after Vaikunta, Kailasa and so on and the mind goes on wandering.  Where is Shanti?
If Shanti is required, the only correct method of securing it is by Self Inquiry.  Through Self
Inquiry, Self Realization is possible. If one realizes the Self, one can see all these
worlds within one's own self.  The Source of everything is one's own self, and if one realizes
the Self, one will not find anything different from the Self.  Then these questions
will not arise.  There may or may not be a Vaikunta or a Kailasa but IT IS A FACT THAT YOU
ARE HERE, IS'NOT IT?  Where are you?  After you know about this, you can think of all those
worlds!"

(Source: Letters from Sri Ramanasramam, Suri Nagamma.)

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: November 15, 2015, 06:55:04 AM »

On 29th Jan 1946, Bhagavan Ramana was going through the new Telugu edition of Ramana Leela.
A visitor asked Him:

"I came here about a year ago.  And even since, I have been trying to follow Bhagavan's
instructions.  I am not, however, succeeding very well.  I try to look at all women as mothers.
But I don't succeed."  Bhagavan Ramana did not reply and the visitor continued: "While I am
at home, it is all right. But when I go out and see women I am not able to control my
mind and am swept off my feet.  What should I do?"  He also added: "I want Atma sakshatkaram.
What should I do? I pray for Bhagavan's blessings. 

After a pause, Bhagavan replied:  'You say you are all right when you are at home. Be at home,
at home in the mind. Don't allow it go outwards, but turn it inwards and keep it at home there. 
Then all will be well and you will have Atma sakshatkaram.  The trouble is that we are the mind.
See if you are the mind."

The visitor said: "I am a grahasta. Still I want to practice brahmacharya even with my wife.
But I am not able to succeed.  What should I do?"  Bhagavan replied:  "That is because of the
age long vasanas.  The sankalpas are so powerful because they have existed so long. But
they will go."

(Source: Day by Day. Devaraja Mudaliar.  29.1.1946)

Arunachala Siva.