Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 199331 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #1320 on: October 03, 2015, 09:30:47 AM »

Once in 1938, Sri Annamalai Swami asked Bhagavan Ramana:  "Only with Guru-krupa (Grace of Guru),
one can attain the home of liberation, is it not Swami?"

Bhagavan Ramana replied:  "The home of liberation is not outside. It is within one.  Once a person
desires to attain this home within, then the Guru within will pull him back with his hands.  The Guru
outside will push him inside.  This alone is Guru Krupa, the Grace of Guru and nothing else."

Bhagavan Ramana then quoted the Verse 79 (in Tamizh book) or Verse 86 (in English book) of
Kaivalya Navaneetham:

"Lord, you are the Reality remaining as my inmost Self, ruling me during all my countless incarnations!
Glory to you who have put on an external form in order to instruct me!  I do not see how I can
repay your grace for having liberated me.  Glory!  Glory to your Holy Feet!"

(Source:  Sri Ramana Ninaivugal, Sri Annamalai Swami, Sri
Annamalai Swami Asramam, Palakottu, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: October 05, 2015, 07:39:20 AM »

Words cannot express that state and that state can be attained either by reading everything or not
reading at all. It all depends on one's prarabdha.  Surrender is difficult in the sense that it implies ego-destruction, and that ego renders its own destruction difficult.  For both Atma Vichara and Sarangati,
ego-destruction is a must.  This is the major hurdle.

When Sivaprakasam Pillai asked Bhagavan Ramana:  Who is the greatest among devotees, bhaktas?  Bhagavan Ramana replies: One who gives himself up to God and be an Atma Nishtapara is the greatest devotee,bhakta.  This "giving oneself up" means only annihilation of the ego.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: October 08, 2015, 09:26:48 AM »

Small cloth  -  I mean the mind/ego.  It is small because it is almost nothing, as Bhagavan Ramana
said on another occasion. 'The mind in insubstantial.'

The mind is the policeman and the thief.  The policeman and the thief example was told by Bhagavan
Ramana to highlight the fact, that the mind cannot comprehend the Self.  Because the Self is beyond
thinking, because ratiocination, beyond books, and it is comprehended by anubhava, or experience.
The Self is Experience.  All that are mental products, books, logic, thoughts are outside.  After a deep
sleep, one gets up in the morning and says:  "I had a good sleep."  No one says during the sleep that
he slept well!   All descriptions of the Self in the books are all thoughts.  All the books are all the spitted
saliva of the experiencer!

Now how the mind can enquire the mind?  There is no other go. Bhagavan Ramana says in Sri
Arunachala Ashatakam Verse 5: With the mind that is stone, the Ruby has to be discovered,
by rubbing against the mind, another stone!   The mind becomes the Self!  The stone becomes the Ruby!

The question of polisher and the polished comes with this mind grinding the mind.  There is really only  one.  The mind, the polisher becomes the polished, the Ruby. 

Now we know the flame in the chimney.  We know the cloth. Then what/where is the soot or smoke?
The Self is blemish-less, taintless.  But the Self is covered by the vasanas [the latent tendencies of good
and bad] coming through several births, which are mind products.  Only this soot or the smoke has to be polished.  For that one has to use the mind.  Again mind rubbing the mind to find it as Ruby.

Mani Kadainthu ena manam manam ennum kallil maru ara
kadaiya nin arul oli mevum..... A. Ashtaakam., Verse 5.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: October 08, 2015, 09:33:29 AM »
Bhagavan about Guru Gita:-

There are some verses extolling the guru-bhakti and surrender.
I am giving only English translations.

Verse 178:-  Having drunk to the full Brahmarasa and satisfied in the Paramatman, the Sages of
realization consider Indra as a mere straw and then what to speak of ordinary kings of the world?

Verse 179:-  The seekers after liberation should at all times develop Guru bhakti, because by following
the path shown by the Guru, one attains the Supreme auspiciousness and the state of Kaivalya.

Verse 180:-  'I am one and one alone without a second'  -- whoever thus practices constant meditation
as a result of the advice of the Guru with a firm determination, need not take recourse to the forest for
hard penances.

Verse 189:-  O Devi!  this is the advice in the path of Guru-marga which is capable of bestowing Mukti.  Therefore, Guru bhakti should be practiced by all with great devotion and faith.

Verse 192:-  One may be engaged in Siva Puja or deeply immersed in Vishnu Puja, but if he is
without a knowledge of the Guru tattva, all his learning is a mere waste.

Verse 193:-  If worship of Siva is done without knowing the real nature of Guru, that worship is for
the mere name's sake.  My dear Parvati, it is like a lamp drawn on a paper [which will not light the house].

Verse 194:-  By the glory and efficacy of Guru-diksha, all your actions bear fruit.  By the attainment of a
Guru, one attains everything.  One without a Guru is a mere fool. 

Verse 195:-  Since one does not understand the nature of Siva and one's own Self by himself, one
without a Guru can be said to be a mere animal, worm or a firefly.

Verse 196:-  Therefore discarding all kinds of contacts with people, by all possible means, giving up all comforts of the scriptures, one should depend on the Guru only.

The Guru Gita thus shows what it means to surrender to a Higher Power. It puts in perspective
Bhagavan Ramana's words: "Surrender appears easy because people imagine that, once they say
with their lips 'I surrender'....., they can be free and do what they like.  But the fact is that you can
have no likes and dislikes after you surrender and that your will should become completely
non-existent."  [Devaraja Mudaliar, Day by Day, entry dated 2nd Jan 1946).

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: October 10, 2015, 07:51:11 AM »

On 28.2.1939, one gentleman from Tiruchirapalli brought his young son, Dattatreya to Bhagavan
Ramana.  The boy was considered as an idiot not knowing anything in the world and always remaining
silence and introverted.  The father told Bhagavan:  Bhagavan!  We have tried all mantras, medicines etc.,  This boy is without any change.  What can I do for him?  Bhagavan Ramana looked at the
young boy intently for a few minutes and then told the story of 24 gurus of Dattatreya in the
legendary story.  All devotees had the fortune of listening that story from Bhagavan.  Finally,
Bhagavan Ramana told:  "There is one 25th Guru for everyone.  It is one's own body. This body is
responsible for both misery and happiness. It is also the cause for Vairagyam and Jnanam.
The Vairagyam leads to one to get convinced that both birth and death are cause of misery.
One should develop only love for Hari with utmost devotion and faith."   

He then turned to the father and said:  "This boy is in state of bliss for ever.  Leave him alone. 
Do not worry about anything."

(Source:  Sri Ramana Ninaivugal, Annamalai Swami.  Sri Annamalai
Swami Asramam, Palakottu, Tiruvannamalai)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: October 10, 2015, 07:52:57 AM »

Once Maurice Frydman asked Bhagavan Ramana:

"Sometimes when I meditate I enter a state in which I don't know anything.  Is this state Manolaya
or Manonasa?

Bhagavan Ramana:  In both Manolaya and Manonasa, questions will not arise.

Frydman:  What is Manonasa?

Bhagavan Ramana:  Remaining permanently as one without the rising of any doubt or thought
such as "Nothing is known" or "Something is known" alone is Manonasa.

(Sri Ramana Ninaivugal, Annamalai Swami.  Sri Annamalai Swamigal
Asramam, Palakottu, Tiruvannamalai.  Entry dated 29.3.1939)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: October 10, 2015, 03:13:01 PM »

Perumal Swami was the attendant of Bhagavan Ramana right from His Skandasramam days. 
Over a period, he turned egotistic and wanted to become the Manager of the Asramam.  It happened.
But he had to be removed, since he was misusing the money that was donated by devotees.
Soon Chinnaswami, Bhagavan Ramana's brother became the Asramam and set right the administration.
In further time, Perumal Swami became an enemy of Bhagavan. It is he who dragged Bhagavan into a
court case about the ownership of the Asramam.  Thanks to Grant Duff, an inquiry was done at the
Old Hall and soon the case got nullified.  Perumal Swami's enmity grew into great proportions.  He scolded Bhagavan and got an Iyengar drunk with toddy and made him scold Bhagavan.  He even printed pamphlets denigrating Bhagavan and issued at the Asramam  gates!

Soon his play was over.  He got very sick, almost an invalid.  All his money was cheated.  During his
last days, he stayed on a stone bench in the town asking for a few paise alms from passers-by.
He went to Bhagavan Ramana and told Him:  I have done innumerable acts of sin against you.
"I am sure to go to the hell.  Please forgive me but do not forget me."  Bhagavan Ramana smiled and
said:  "I have forgiven you and I cannot forget you at all.  Even if you go to hell, I shall be present there,
do not worry!"

While reading Ramayanam we should read about Ravana too Good and evil stand side by side in any happening or life.  Perumal Swami was the Ravana of Ramanayanam.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: October 11, 2015, 07:47:14 AM »

Bhava-bhakti or ardent devotion to Siva is the connecting string of all devotees of Siva in Periya Puranam.  This devotion is displayed by devotees treating Siva as Father, Guru, Mother, Child etc.,

Once Tiru Neela Nakka Nayanar and his wife went to Siva temple, for offering pujas.  In the inner
sanctum, when the puja was going on, Nayanar's wife saw a spider crawling over the body of Siva.
She felt that the spider would harm Siva, so she gave a long exhalation by bending towards the image
to drive out the spider!  Neela Nakka got angry with his wife since she had caused sacrilege to Siva, by mouthing out the breath, full of dirty air and saliva.  He left her at the temple and came back home
and closed the doors denying entry for his wife.   In the night Siva appeared before him in a dream and
said:  Look at my body, excepting for the area where your wife breathed out air, in all other places, the
spider had bitten me and it is all full of red scales!  Nakka woke up and understood his wife's bhava-bhakti
and her purpose.  He came back to the temple and apologized to his wife, prostrated before Siva for
the ill-treatment to his wife and both returned home.  This intense devotion is nothing but Sarangati in a different form and this takes one closer to Godhead.

Once there was a gentleman, I think, Ramaswami Iyengar in the Asramam, who was devoted to
Bhagavan Ramana to such an extent, that he did not even mention His name.  Once he saw a visitor addressing Bhagavan as Ramana.  He went and slapped him.  The visitor also understood the reason
and apologized.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: October 11, 2015, 07:50:23 AM »

The state of Self Realization:

Words cannot express that state and that state can be attained either by reading everything or not
reading at all.  It all depends on one's prarabdha.  Surrender is difficult in the sense that it implies ego-destruction, and that ego renders its own destruction difficult.  For both Atma Vichara and Sarangati,
ego-destruction is a must.  This is the major hurdle.

When Sivaprakasam Pillai asked Bhagavan Ramana:  Who is the greatest among devotees, bhaktas?  Bhagavan Ramana replies:

One who gives himself up to God and be an Atma Nishtapara is the greatest devotee,bhakta.
This "giving oneself up" means only annihilation of the ego.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: October 15, 2015, 07:32:08 AM »

On the morning of 27th January 1946, Bhagavan Ramana was reading Dinamani and coming across
an article there on the temple at Perur [near Coimbatore], read it out to us and said: "It is news to me.
We do not hear of this in the life of Sundaramoorthy or in the Periya Puranam.  But it may be in the
Sthala Puranam." 

This is the story:  On a particular day in the year, the God and the Goddess are taken out in to an
adjoining field and the festival of the God and Goddess transplanting seedlings on behalf of a devotee,
is celebrated, in memory of the fact, that one day Sundaramoorthy Swamigal entered the Perur
temple and found to his dismay that neither God nor Goddess was there and that on searching for
them he found them in a field working at transplanting for this devotee, a Harijan.

(Source: Day by Day with Bhagavan. Devaraja Mudaliar.
27th January 1946.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: October 15, 2015, 07:37:07 AM »

On 25th January 1946, an Andhra youth arrived and told Bhagavan about the vagaries of his senses to
which Bhagavan said: "All that is due to the mind.  Set it right."  "That is alright, Swami.  But however
much I try to reduce this anger, it comes on again and again.  What shall I do?" further asked the poor
boy.

"Oh! Is that so, then get angry with that anger, it will be all right," said Bhagavan.  Everyone in the Hall
burst out laughing. A person, who gets angry with everything in the world, if only he introspects and
inquires why he does not get angry with his anger itself, will be not really overcome all anger?"

That devotee, unable to understand anything, said: "That is very good!  Should I abuse myself?"

"Yes indeed!  What they are abusing is your body, isn't it? What greater enemy is there than this body,
which is the abode of anger and similar feelings?  It is necessary that we ourselves should hate it.
Instead of that, when we are un-guarded, if anybody abuses, we should know that they are
abusing the body, and crying it down.  What is the use of counter-abuse?  Those who abuse us that way should be looked upon as our friends.  It is good for us to be among such people.  If you are among
people who praise you, you get deceived," said Bhagavan Ramana.

(Source: Letters from Sri Ramanasramam, Suri Nagamma,
dated 25th Jan 1946.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: October 16, 2015, 08:21:01 AM »

During Bhagavan Ramana's post- Nirvana years, Muruganar
continued to stay in Tiruvannamalai.  He conducted discourses
on Sri Arunachala Stuti Panchakam and Sad Darsanam and
Upadesa Saram.  One of the fortunate students was T.R.
Kanakamma.  She grasped the message of Bhagavan Ramana,
through the words of Muruganar.  Later, when the Asramam
requested T.R. Kanakamma to write a simple commentary in
Tamil for Bhagavan's complete works, she reluctantly agreed
but completed her task, mainly on the basis of Muruganar's
discourses.  This two volume book in Tamil is a splendid work
giving the simple meaning and message of Bhagavan Ramana's
works, including the difficult Sad Darsanam.

Muruganar kept himself in silent meditation, during his last two or three years.  Many later year
devotees came to him
and requested him to speak about his years with Bhagavan
Ramana.  He invariably did not answer.  What is there to say?
How to explain the non-dual experience to someone else?  He
kept his experience, without diluting it in spoken words.

Once someone asked him: "What is your Sadhana for this?"
Muruganar kept quiet for some time.  Then he explained:
"Sadhana? What Sadhana?  Where was the time for all that?
The moment I saw Him, my ego was annihilated.  Then where
is separateness for doing this Sadhana and that Sadhana?"
He resumed his silence.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: October 17, 2015, 08:22:24 AM »

We are all eager to preserve our individual self, which represents
self-respect, respect to our personality and body.  In churches,
we see Priests addressing the listeners:  O sinners!  They keep
quiet.  When they come out, you call one of them, "Aye, Sinner
come here."  He will shoe you.  We are always self conscious,
about our body and self.  You cannot call a short man, O shortie!
or a fat man, O fattie.  He gets angry.

A true sadhak or Jnani does not care about his personality,
which is mindfulness or his body, body consciousness.

Bhagavan Ramana covers both these points in Arunachala
Aksharamanamlai.

In Verse 77, He says:

O Arunachala, you remove the self respect of those who are
are always concerned about their self respect and then shine!

This is removing mind-fulness.

In Verse 85, He says:

O Arunachala, you tonsured (my head) me and danced with
me naked in the Pure Space!

This is removing the body consciousness.

This tonsuring is symbolic. Ascetics tonsure their heads once
in a month on the full moon day.  Bhagavan Ramana did that.
Devotees go to Tirupati and Pazhani and have a tonsure of their
heads.  This is only to remove the personality or body consciousness, at least symblically. 

This is the conquest of mind and body.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: October 20, 2015, 07:41:09 AM »

Even animals and plants can have liberation.  What is necessary is only a vasana-free mind. 
It is with vasanas that we get into all problems in life.  There is an interesting anecdote
about Cow Lakshmi's case.  When Bhagavan Ramana was with Mother Azhagamma, keeping one
hand on her chest and another on her head, and caused subsidence of all vasanas.  He lifed His
hands only after mind and prana merged in Heart.  In Cow Lakshmi's case, Bhagavan Ramana did
not stay with her, till her last breath. When someone asked why that difference, Bhagavan Ramana
replied:  Why should I?  She had no vasanas left, even before her last breath.  Hence there was no
need to stay till end.

There is one story in Arunachala Puranam.  There was one cactus-bush on the Hill.  It was waiting for deliverance.  When Uma came to the Hill, for doing penance to get half the form of Annamalai, she
accidentally trampled on the cactus bush.  The bush caught fire and got destroyed, with one huge
flame rising about in the sky and reaching the Hill, to convey its deliverance to Uma!

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: October 23, 2015, 07:33:17 AM »

Happiness or Sukam is from the world.  Anandam or Bliss is from Atma Jnana and self realization.
The worldly pursuits and achievements thereof, would confer one happiness and this is achieved by
valor, book learning, great karmas etc.,  But this only ends up in misery and death.

Duryodhana and Ravana had great valor.  Ravana had additional qualification of vedic-music and book learning.  But they had  vainglorious death.  But Vidhura had Atma Jnana and he did not even take
part in the war.  Arjuna forgot the Jnana conferred by Krishna after the war and Atma Jnana Upadesa
had to be taught to him again later by Krishna.  (See Srimad Bhagavatam)

Sukam or Bliss comes only from Atma Jnana.  And that is why great Jnanis like Bhagavan Ramana and
Guhai Namasivaya in Tiruvannamalai lived a life of simplicity, without even enamored by siddhic powers.

Arunachala Siva.