Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 201496 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #1290 on: September 03, 2015, 06:49:53 AM »

Once on 5th June 1939, Sri Annamalai Swami asked Bhagavan Ramana:  "Sri Bhagavan!  Sri Rama,
when born, should have also had body consciousness (dehatma-buddhi)?

Bhagavan Ramana said:  Sri Rama showed his form as Maha Vishnu to his mother Kousalya and
then was born as a child to her. Further, when Sri Rama was in jungle, he was searching, Where is Sita,
Where is Sita, and then wandered here and there.  Seeing this, Parvati asked Siva: Does not Sri
Rama know where Sita was? Why should he then search for her?  Siva then told Parvati:  Alright, you
go in the form of Sita and stand before Sri Rama, then you will know (the truth).  Parvati accordingly
went and stood before Sri Rama in the form of Sita.  Sri Rama still went past her and cried:  Where
is Sita, where is Sita?

After telling this, Bhagavan Ramana quoted the Verse 137 of
Kaivalya Navaneetam, (Verse 137 in Tamil, Verse 36 of English
Version, Part II):

Disciple:  "O Master!  you who are formless transcendentally,
function as Iswara (cosmically), and appear in human form (there)!
You speak of a Jnani and Iswara as the same.  How can this be so?"

Master:  "Yes. Iswara and the Jnani are the same because they are
free from "I" and "mine".  The Jnani himself is Iswara, and the
totality the Jivas, and also the cosmos."     

(Source:  Sri Ramana Ninaivugal, Sri Annamalai Swami.  Sri
Annamalai Asramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: September 03, 2015, 07:22:09 AM »

Once in 1938, Sri Annamalai Swami asked Bhagavan Ramana:  "Only with Guru-krupa (Grace of Guru), one can attain the home of liberation, is it not Swami?"

Bhagavan Ramana replied:  "The home of liberation is not outside. It is within one.  Once a person
desires to attain this home within, then the Guru within will pull him back with his hands.  The Guru
outside will push him inside.  This alone is Guru Krupa, the Grace of Guru and nothing else."

Bhagavan Ramana then quoted the Verse 79 (in Tamil book) or Verse 86 (in English book) of
Kaivalya Navaneetham:

"Lord, you are the Reality remaining as my inmost Self, ruling
me during all my countless incarnations!  Glory to you who have
put on an external form in order to instruct me!  I do not see how
I can repay your grace for having liberated me.  Glory!  Glory
to your Holy Feet!"

(Source:  Sri Ramana Ninaivugal, Sri Annamalai Swami, Sri
Annamalai Swami Asramam, Palakottu, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: September 04, 2015, 10:05:58 AM »

Sri Sankara has written a five verse poem called Kasi Panchakam. Kasi is today's Benares or Varanasi.
This is, as per puranic stories, is a place where one gets liberation on death here. But Sri Sankara has
got a different imagery. He says:

Kasi is my body.
Manikarnika - the famous bathing gut there - is Hridayam, Heart
Viswanatha - Siva in the temple is the Self within me.  Brahman who lives in the Heart for seekers.
Ganga- the river is the flowing bliss on my realization!

Bhagavan Ramana says the same thing in Arunachala Stuti Panchakam.  Arunachala is not merely a Hill of Fire, but it is the Self within.  And this is the swathma-tirtham, the holy waters called Bliss inside!

Bhagavan Ramana gives three imageries in Arunachala Pancharatnam.  First it is the nectarine ocean
of grace. Second it is the Hill, in which all lives are born, are sustained and are annihilated.  Thirdly He says
in Arunachala Padigam,

Verse 1:  Arunachala is the Sun but it gushes forth as waterfalls of grace.

Many devotees have asked Bhagavan Ramana.  "Bhagavan! How is that You are always gazing at the
Hill, even though you have seen it many many times?"  Bhagavan Ramana has replied:  "I am gazing Arunachala as Atma, the Self within!"

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: September 04, 2015, 10:11:24 AM »

We are in the world and we have a body.  Without body, we cannot see the world.  We cannot do self inquiry and surrender.  But we have to only deal with the world and body and honestly and leave the rest to Bhagavan.

"The world is too much with us," said a poet.  The world may do anything with us.  Many things can happen intentionally and unintentionally.  A lab-technician may transfuse a wrong group of blood and snuff out your life.  A drunken motorist on the way, can cause breaking of your legs.  A moody boss can give you an average mark in performance appraisal and deny promotion in the job for another 4 years.  All these can happen in this world and we have to negotiate with this world carefully and
with total honesty.

But with Bhagavan Ramana, do not deal with Him.  Depend on Him, totally, regardless of your worldly happiness and miseries.

He says in Sri Arunachala Akshramana Malai, Verse 35:

If you say 'Fie' and scorn me Oh! Arunachala, my past merits and demerits will torture me and where
is the hope of life for me?

This shows that only Bhagavan Ramana is the refuge to get past our karma-fruits of the past births.

But He again says in Verse 55:

Before your fire of Jnana burns me to ashes, pour down upon me, your rain of Grace!

Only this Grace, we should look for, ever surrendering to Him.

(Tr. K. Swaminathan)

Deal with the world but give yourself in total refuge to Bhagavan Ramana.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: September 06, 2015, 04:20:44 PM »

On 25.6.1939,  Bhagavan Ramana said the following to a ardent devotee:

1.  The words of Jnani are heard as if told by a person without body.

2.  To measure a Jnani's behavior is like measuring the Space, with fingers of your hand.

3.  Atma is subtler than the end of a needle.  It is atom of the atom. It is larger than the largest.

(Source:  Sri Ramana Ninaivugal, Annamalai Swami, Sri Annamalai
Swami Asramam, Palakottu, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: September 06, 2015, 04:26:48 PM »

On 28.2.1939, one gentleman from Tiruchirapalli brought his young son, Dattatreya to Bhagavan Ramana.  The boy was considered as an idiot not knowing anything in the world and always remaining silence and introverted.  The father told Bhagavan:  Bhagavan!  We have tried all mantras, medicines etc.,  This boy is without any change.  What can I do for him?  Bhagavan Ramana looked at the young boy intently for a few minutes and then told the story of 24 gurus of Dattatreya in the legendary story.  All devotees had the
fortune of listening that story from Bhagavan.  Finally, Bhagavan Ramana told:  "There is one 25th Guru
for everyone.  It is one's own body. This body is responsible for both misery and happiness. It is also
the cause for Vairagyam and Jnanam.  The Vairagyam leads to one to get convinced that both birth and
death are cause of misery. One should develop only love for Hari with utmost devotion and faith."   

He then turned to the father and said:  "This boy is in state of bliss for ever.  Leave him alone.
Do not worry about anything."

(Source:  Sri Ramana Ninaivugal, Annamalai Swami.  Sri Annamalai
Swami Asramam, Palakottu, Tiruvannamalai)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: September 06, 2015, 04:30:01 PM »

Once Maurice Frydman asked Bhagavan Ramana:

"Sometimes when I meditate I enter a state in which I don't know anything.  Is this state Manolaya or Manonasa?"

Bhagavan Ramana:  "In both Manolaya and Manonasa, questions will not arise."

Frydman:  "What is Manonasa?"

Bhagavan Ramana:  "Remaining permanently as one without the rising of any doubt or thought such as "Nothing is known" or "Something is known" alone is Manonasa."

(Sri Ramana Ninaivugal, Annamalai Swami.  Sri Annamalai Swamigal
Asramam, Palakottu, Tiruvannamalai.  Entry dated 29.3.1939)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: September 09, 2015, 05:32:19 PM »
G.V.Subbaramayya Reminiscences/Story:

One day while I was in the Asramam, Sri Bhagavan spoke about the use of drugs by those practicing the yoga.

"I do admit that drugs have some beneficial effect.  A certain drug can make the whole body melt and flow
like the milky ocean.   One man told me that when he was given chloroform before an operation he experienced
a nectarous bliss and longed for that state again.  The Chinese look like skeletons, but when they take opium,
they feel like giants and do any amount of difficult work.   These drugs, however, must be taken in limited
amounts and secretly.  Otherwise all will demand them.  Moreover, after sometime, the drug habit will become
a great fetter and obstacle to Jnana,  Its addicts will not flinch from any crime to satisfy their cravings.  So,
it is best to remain desireless.  Having seen the effects of all these drugs I have decided that to be as we are
is the best.  To strive for knowing one's real nature, through self inquiry, though it may be a little difficult,
is the only safe path.'

The next day some one asked, 'What is this 'I'?  Where does it arise?  How can it exist in all things?'

Sri Bhagavan replied, 'If you want to know what the 'I' is and where it arises, you should ask the 'I' itself.                   
To state that 'I' am in all things' is like saying that the mirror is within the image.  The truth is the other way.
Just as the image within the mirror, so all things are within the real 'I'.

The same day Sri Bhagavan spoke approvingly of the practice of going round Arunachala.

He said, 'Other sacred hills are described as the abode of some deity, but Arunachala is God Himself
in the shape of the hill.  So special sanctity is attached to going round the Arunachala.  It has been said
that one who has completed the circuit of the Hill once in a proper way remains as Brahmakara, that is,
Absolute embodied.  The proper way is to walk as slowly as one can, like a queen in a full pregnancy.
The red sores on the feet caused by picking stones on the way, it is said, will become diamonds in the crowns
of the gods.'

The greatness of Arunachala has been extolled at great length in Arunachala Mahatmyam, a Sanskrit
work that forms part of the Skanda Purana.  This work has been  translated into both Tamizh and Telugu.
On one of my visits to Sri Bhagavan in the late 1940s, He pointed out an important verse in the Tamizh
Arunachala Puranam that had been omitted in the Telugu version.  The next day, I translated it into
Telugu and submitted to Sri Bhagavan.  He appeared pleased with it and had copied and attached to the
published Telugu work in the appropriate place.  The verse read thus -

All rocks here are Lingams; this is the realm of Siva.
The trees here are celestial plants.
Water here is the Ganga flowing from Siva's matted hair.
All food here is nothing but ambrosia.
To walk one step here is to go round the whole world.
Any utterance here is the Word of Veda.                       
Even slumber here is Samadhi.
Can any other place equal to this sacred Arunachala?

contd.,

(From the Power of the Presence, Volume  3, of David Godman Book.)

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: September 12, 2015, 10:41:20 AM »

Today is Muruganar's Liberation Day, 12th Sept. 2015. 

An outstanding devotee of Sri Bhagavan, and a great poet, composed thousands of poems praising
Sri Bhagavan.  He recorded Sri Bhagavan's teachings under the title Guru Vachaka Kovai.  This is
a complete compendium of Sri Bhagavan's teachings and serves as a reference book.  This has been
translated by David Godman.  Muruganar also praised Sri Bhagavan in a large collection of bhakti
poems, titled Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai. He also re-arranged Sri Bhagavan's poems - keeping the
translations separately and the original together, under Ulladu Narpadu.  The translated poems are
grouped under Ulladu Narpadu- Anubandham.

Muruganar was working as a Tamizh teacher in Madras.  Once his father in law, Dandapani Swami,
already a Sri Ramana devotee, gave him a copy of Akshra Manamalai.  On reading this, Muruganar,
decided that Sri Bhagavan is his guru and thus accordingly came to Sri Ramanasramam, in the late

Once, Sri Bhagavan called Muruganar to the Hill and there He made Muruganar to sit and He looked
at him with intent eyes, for some minutes.  From that moment, his mind melted away and became
one with the Self,

He says:

Setting me on the straight path of true knowledge, He led me to the glorious goal of union with Him
in the one pointed state of holy silence.  My heart's gracious jewel, true wisdom's Sun, He dissipated
the dark clouds of the senses's illusory world.

I have given an elaborate life account of Muruganar recently from David Godman'[s book, 'The Power
of The Presence'.  Members are requested to go through the same to know more about Muruganar's
life and writings and his permanent stay with Sri Bhagavan.

(The Asramam website gives the liberation day as 12th September, 2015.  My memory is it is on
25.8.2015.) 

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: September 14, 2015, 07:26:58 AM »

We should love the Self and depend on the Self.  But we should deal with the world but fear the world. 

Sarvam Vastu Bhayam, says Barthruhari the famous Sanskrit poet. All worldly objects should give us
also a sense of fear and not merely elation.   A healthy man fears sickness, a learned person fears that
there could be a more learned person to beat him, and a handsome person may be afraid of disease and
decay to his handsomeness.  The greatest fear for all these, is death, marana bhayam.   

The only fearless state is Self abidance and it is deathlessness.  This is what Nachiketas asked Yama to give.  Yama wanted to divert Nachiketas with wealth, kingdom, good food and nice dancing girls.  Nachiketas
asked:  Will they not become old and decayed?  Will they not reduce in quantity and quality? Keep these dancing girls with you.  I want only Deathlessness, where there is no fear and death.  (Katha Upanishad).

Sankara says as to what to do to ward off this fear and death. Run for the Guru, Run as if your head is
on fire!  Run quickly. Do not say, Tomorrow.  Do not say:  I shall go after watching this TV serial.
Will you wait for tomorrow or the completion of the TV serial, when your head is on fire?

Saint Manikkavachagar says in Tiruvachakam, Yathirai Pathu, Verse 7, Decad on Pilgrimage:

"This world is not going to stand for ever.  Hence, we shall also
not stand here for long.  Let us go to the lotus feet of Siva, our
God with golden hue.  Do not delay, do not stand here.  IF YOU
STAY BEHIND AND DELAY, He will become rare to obtain!"

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: September 15, 2015, 07:24:03 AM »

On 2nd June 1946, a brahmin, who had already met Bhagavan Ramana, in Virupakshi Cave, came
and sat in the Hall.

Question:  Even though people commit theft, adultery and take alcholic drinks and so on, can their sins be wiped out by doing Japa with various mantras, or will sins stick to them?

Bhagavan:  If the feeling 'I am doing Japa' is not there, the sins committed by a man will not stick to him.
If the feeling  "I am doing the Japa" is there, why should not the sin arising from bad habits stick on?

Question:  Will not this Punya (results of virtuous acts) extinguish the Papam (result of sinful acts)?

Bhagavan:  For him who has realized the Self, there is no Iccha Prarabdha.  The other two, Aniccha and Pareccha remain. Whatever he does (A self realized person) does is for others only.  If there are things
to be done by him for others, he does them, but results do not affect him.  Whatever are the actions
that such people do, there is no Punya and no Papa attached to them.  But they do only what is proper according to the accepted standard of the world, -- nothing else.

Bhagavan Ramana has said this in one of His poems.

(Source:  Arunachala's Ramana, Boundless Ocean of Grace,
Volume 5, Sri Ramansramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: September 15, 2015, 07:29:04 AM »

There was an exhibition of golden images, nicely carved, of characters in Ramayana.  There were exquisite images of Rama, Sita, Anjaneya, Kumbakarna and Ravana.  Many people visited the exhibition and they enjoyed it.  Some of them did namaskrams also to Rama, Sita and Anjaneya and looked at the other two
with contempt. 

It was night time.  The lights were switched off.  A thief entered from the backdoor of the exhibition
building. He switched on a torch and saw the images.  Now, will he choose and pick up the golden
images of only Rama and Sita and Anjaneya?  He will pick up all the images.  In fact, he would pick up
Ravana first, since he is quite heavy with ten heads.  He sees only the gold and not the ornaments. 

The Jnani is also like the thief.  He is beyond names and forms. He always abides in the nameless, formless Self.  Only ajnanis prostrate to Rama and Sita and ignore Ravana, because they are bound by names and forms.  He knows the gold and not the ornaments.

Bhagavan Ramana reflects this thought in Upadesa Saram, Verses 24 and 25. Sri Sankara says this in
Atma Bodham, Verse 8.

All the various forms exist in the imagination of the perceiver, the substratum being the eternal and all-pervading Vishnu, whose nature is Existence and Intelligence.  Names and forms are like bangles and bracelets and Vishnu is like gold.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: September 16, 2015, 07:26:28 AM »

Silent Power:  Swami Madhavananda:

On one occasion, probably in 1939, Sri P.M.N. Swamy, a staunch devotee of Bhagavan and secretary
of Sri Ramana Satchidanada Mandali, Matunga, went to the Asramam at Tiruvannamalai to have darshan
of Bhagavan and stayed for the day there with his wife and nine month old child, Ramanan.

They had their breakfast in the common dining hall in the morning.  After finishing they went to wash their hands at the tap outside, leaving child in the Hall.  By this time, Ramanan crawled away somewhere
and could not be seen.  By this time Ramanan crawled away somewhere and could not be seen.  The perturbed father called out to the child as, 'Ramana, Ramana'.

Bhagavan, who was then passing on His way to the meditation hall immediately responded to the call
and the child also was found near the well in the Asramam compound.  The response from Bhagavan
naturally created a little puzzle in Sri P.M.N. Swamy's mind because he thought that the call
'Ramana, Ramana' intended for his child might have been wrongly interpreted by Bhagavan.

Bhagavan was quick to read Sri Swamy's mind and told him: 'Why do you feel puzzled when I
responded to the call?

Is there any difference between this Ramana (meaning Himself) and that Ramana (meaning the child)?'

The Self remains with all beings.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: September 16, 2015, 07:27:45 AM »

Sri Bhagavan has said:

What are sins? Why, for example, does a man drink too much? Because he hates the idea of being bound ? bound by the incapacity to drink as much as he wishes. He is striving after liberty in every sin he commits. This striving after liberty is the first instinctive action of God in a man?s mind.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: September 19, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »

Silent Power:  Swami Madhavananda:

On one occasion, probably in 1939, Sri P.M.N. Swamy, a staunch devotee of Bhagavan and secretary
of Sri Ramana Satchidanada Mandali, Matunga, went to the Asramam at Tiruvannamalai to have
darshan of Bhagavan and stayed for the day there with his wife and nine month old child, Ramanan.

They had their breakfast in the common dining hall in the morning.  After finishing they went to wash
their hands at the tap outside, leaving child in the Hall.  By this time, Ramanan crawled away somewhere
and could not be seen.  By this time Ramanan crawled away somewhere and could not be seen.  The perturbed father called out to the child as, 'Ramana, Ramana'.

Bhagavan, who was then passing on His way to the meditation hall immediately responded to the call
and the child also was found near the well in the Asramam compound.  The response from Bhagavan
naturally created a little puzzle in Sri P.M.N. Swamy's mind because he thought that the call
'Ramana, Ramana' intended for his child might have been wrongly interpreted by Bhagavan.

Bhagavan was quick to read Sri Swamy's mind and told him: 'Why do you feel puzzled when I
responded to the call?  Is there any difference between this Ramana (meaning Himself) and that
Ramana (meaning the child)?'

The Self remains with all beings.

Arunachala Siva.