Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 199877 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #1200 on: July 23, 2015, 04:47:47 PM »
Chhaganlal V. Yogi Reminiscences / Story:

After reaching there I went and sat in the holy presence of the Master.  While I was sitting there, I began to
wonder how I should place my difficulty before Him because I did not feel like broaching the subject verbally.
I finally decided to pour forth my prayer from heart in silence in the form of a plea for Sri Bhagavan to extend
His benign help to me. I began to pray and while I concentrated on my mental plea I watched His radiant face
and His sparkling eyes that were full of love and kindness. And then, astonishingly, something like a miracle began
to happen. Sri Bhagavan's  face transformed itself into that of Mahatma Gandhi, while His body remained the same.
As I stared at it with awe and wonder, the two faces, those of Sri Bhagavan and Mahatma Gandhi began to
appear alternately in quick succession. I felt my heart filling with joy and yet at the same time I was wondering
whether what i saw was real or not. I turned my eyes away from Sri Bhagavan and looked around me to see if
others were seeing what I saw.  Seeing no sign of wonder on their faces, I concluded that what I saw was a picture
from my own imagination.  Then, as I began again to look at Sri Bhagavan's face, the vision immediately reappeared,
but this time with a slight change.  In addition to the two faces of Sri Bhagavan and Gandhiji. those of Krishna,
Buddha, Kabir, Ramdas and a host of other saints began to show themselves in quick succession.  Now all my
doubts vanished and I began to enjoy this grand and divine show.  The vision lasted for about five minutes. My mind
dropped all its worries and I found myself able to hand over my problem to the capable hands of the Master.
Though He spoke no words to me, it came to pass that the problem was solved without infringing either of my two
duties.  In fact both duties were fulfilled satisfactorily.

I had another vision of Sri Bhagavan in 1943.  During my visit to Sri Ramanasramam that year, I visited the temple
of Sri Arunachaleswara with my family and a friend who was a devotee from Madurai. This is the main temple in
Tiruvannamalai, the same one that Sri Bhagavan stayed in when He first came to Arunachala.

While we were walking though the spacious courtyards I did not have any inkling of the wonderful experience I was
to pass through when I finally saw the deity.

On reaching the innermost shrine we discovered that we were early, for the doors of the shrine had not been
opened.  We decided to wait there till someone came to unlock them. I leaned back against a pillar and began
to think about Sri Bhagavan's early life.  Suddenly my thoughts began to materialize physically as scenes from
His early life began to appear before my eyes as vividly as if I were watching a cinema film.

contd.,

(Compiled by David Godman, in his book, 'The Power of The Presence', Book II)

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:21:28 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: July 24, 2015, 07:32:22 AM »

Annamalai Swami started his service as a kitchen worker. Being a non-brahmin, he was asked only to cut the
vegetables, grind the chutney etc., Only in 1930s, he was asked to supervise the construction work. 

One morning, Bhagavan Ramana who was grinding the chuteny, asked Annamalai Swami, to taste a bit for
salt etc.,  Annamalai Swami hesitated (being a non brahmin) and said:  "Swami, I have not yet brushed my teeth." 

Bhagavan Ramana said:  "It does not matter, taste it and tell me."  Then Annamalai Swami said:  "Swami,
I am not a brahmin."  Bhagavan Ramana said: "It does not matter still.  Taste it."  Annamalai Swami then
tasted it and certified it!  Bhagavan Ramana then said in a whispering tone: "Do not tell anyone that you have tasted."
and then He winked His eyes!

In Palakottu, Bhagavan Ramana used to see Annamalai Swami for a few minutes every day.  He told him to eat
frugally.  Bhagavan Ramana also approved his daily eating of one coconut, one unripe mango and a little jaggery
without eating anything else.  Annamalai Swami did this for several days!

Once when he was complaining about loose motions due to this food habit, Bhagavan Ramana said:  "Do not worry.
 It will be alright soon!"         

Once Annamalai Swami was doing some carpentry work.  Bhagavan Ramana brought an old rusty, bent nail and
told him to use it. Annamalai Swami said:  "Bhagavan!  We have got pounds of fresh steel nails in stock."
Bhagavan Ramana said:  "What if?  You have to use this. Do you know that every bit of items that we
use is Arunachala's property?"

Bhagavan Ramana corrected him, when he was suffering from pangs of lust, on seeing one buxom cooly gir
 in the Asramam along with other construction workers.  He made him to stand on the hot sun over a stone slab,
without chappals, for several hours!

After Bhagavan Ramnaa's order not to see Him, Annamalai Swami never saw Him.  But a few days before His
Mahanirvana, he had a terrible colic pain, and was writhing in pain.  He could not eat anything for those days.
On the night of 14th April 1950, when Annamalai Swami was standing on the terrace of his cottage in Palakottu,
he saw the bright light hovering in the sky and then merging with Arunachala.  He knew immediately about
Bhagavan Ramana's departure.  Within a few minutes, his colic pain had disappeared.  He still did not go for the
Samadhi ceremonies. When another devotee returned after attending Samadhi ceremonies, and wanted to take bath
in his cottage,  Annamalai Swami hugged him and said:  "This is enough for me."  He then took some rose petals
sticking on his body, and ate it ravishly!

Ten days before his leaving the body, Annamalai Swami said: Another ten days to go!  Like that, he was telling
everyday.  Nine days, eight days, seven days etc.,  Asramam authorities found no special ailment in him, excepting
some fever.  But on the 10th day evening, he shouted:  "I am going.  Arunachaleswara and Apeetakuchamba
are inviting me.  They are here, waiting for me!"   He left his body peacefully!

Surprisingly Annamalai Swami's life is not dealt with in detail in reminiscences of Kunju Swami, Suri Nagamma, Kanakammal and others.  Even the Moments Remembered of Sri V. Ganesan, which describes the last days of
ardent devotees like Chadwick, Osborne and others does not contain any details.  This is perhaps, the
Annamlai Swami Asramam, which was started after his merger with Bhagavan Ramana, did not see eye to eye
with Sri Ramanasramam.  But now, all these differences are gone and his books are sold by Sri Ramanasramam.
His Liberation Day is observed in Asramam too.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 24, 2015, 07:36:46 AM »

One Malayalee writer came to see Bhagavan Ramana and spent some days in the Asramam.  He collected some
details about Bhagavan and soon returned to Kerala.  He then sent a manuscript of biography of Bhagavan Ramana
in Malayalam.  Bhagavan Ramana went throught it, made some spelling corrections, punctuation marks and returned
it to Kunju Swami for reading and return to Kerala.

Kunju Swami was bewildered to read the biography.  It has said: "Bhagavan Ramana was a householder in Madurai.
He was a practicing lawyer.  He had three children.  He did many siddhis in various places...."  Kunju Swami angry
with such outlandish details, rushed to Bhagavan Ramana and told him:  "Bhagavan!  All the information is false.
How come, you are keeping quiet?"

Bhagavan Ramana smiled and then pointing out the world outside, said:  "Oh! this book alone is false. Are all these
true?" Kunju Swami kept quiet and then sent the manuscript to Kerala.However, the same could not be delivered and
it got returned to Asramam.  The unpublished manuscript, ( A devil's diary for Self Enquiry?!!) is kept in Archives.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: July 24, 2015, 03:09:05 PM »
Chhaganlal V.Yogi Reminiscences / Story:

The film had the following scenes, all of which I saw very clearly: Venkataraman is writing the imposition in His
uncle's house in Madurai. Leaving it aside, He sits bolt upright, closes His eyes and becomes absorbed in the more
congenial practice of meditation. His elder brother Nagaswami is watching Him and rebukes Him for neglecting His
lessons.  Venkataraman then decides to leave the house.  He takes three rupees from His brother's college fees
and departs after leaving a short note.  He reaches the railway station. He buys a ticket to Tindivanam, gets into
the train and sits quietly in one corner.  A moulvi (Muslim scholar) who is discoursing to other passengers,
notices Him and asks Him where He is going.  On learning that Venkataraman has got a ticket to Tindivanam but
wants to go on to Tiruvannamalai, the moulvi directs Hiim to break His journey at Villupuram.  I see Venkataraman
getting down at Villupuram and walking through the town in search of food. He waits near a hotel;whose meals
are not yet ready.  Meanwhile He loses Himself in Samadhi. When the meal is ready, He takes it, offers to pay for
it, but the hotel owner refuses payment. He then goes to the railway station and buys a ticket to Mambalapattu.
From there He walks for about 10 miles and reaches the temple of Araiyaninallur.  In the temple He sees a vision
of dazzling light and goes into Samadhi again. He then goes to Kilur, where He pledges His ear rings and gets four
rupees for them. With this money He goes to railway station and buys a ticket to Tiruvannamalai.

While I was enjoying this wonderful divine vision, the doors of the shrine opened and my vision was interrupted
by the loud blowing of pipes and the beating of drums.  The people who were waiting with us stood up to get
Lord's darshan.  I too mechanically stood up with the others.  After this short interruption, my vision continued.
Though the idol of Sri Arunachaleswara was before my eyes, I could clearly see Venkataraman getting out of the
train at the Tiruvannamalai station.  He then ran towards the Temple. As He was coming nearer and nearer, the
noisy music rose to a higher and higher pitch.  Venkataraman entered the temple, ran to the shrine and embraced
the Lingam with both His hands.  My feelings were ecstatic.  My whole body experienced a divine thrill and tears
of joy rolled down my cheeks. This state of sublime joy lasted a long time and was both indescribable and unforgettable.

I am not the only person to have had a vision of Sri Bhagavan in the inner shrine of the temple. When I printed
the The Golden Jubilee Souvenir for the Asramam in 1946, I discovered a devotee from Nepal, Sardar Rudra
Raj Pande, had had an equally spectacular experience here.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.   

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:20:52 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: July 24, 2015, 04:55:24 PM »
Chhaganlal V.Yogi Reminiscences / Story:

This is how Sardar Rudra Raj Pande, described it:

When I reached the center of the temple, all my attention was directed to the one purpose of seeing the image
or Lingam, in the sanctum sanctorum.  But, strange to say, instead of the Lingam, I see the image of the Maharshi,
Bhagavan Sri Ramana,  His smiling countenance, His brilliant eyes looking at me.  And what is more strange, it is
not one Maharshi that I see, nor two, nor three - in hundreds I see the same smiling countenance, those lustrous
eyes. I see them wherever I may look in that sanctum sanctorum.  My eyes catch not the full figure of the Maharshi,
but only the smiling face from the chin above. I am in raptures and beside myself with inexpressible joy....
That bliss and calmness of mind I then felt, how can words describe it?  Tears of joy flowed down my cheeks.
I went to the temple to have darshan of Lord Arunachala and I found the living Lord as He graciously revealed Himself.
I can never forget the deep intimate experience I had in the ancient temple.

The vision I had of Sri Bhagavan in the temple strengthened my faith in Him. The other vision I had in the Hall
assured me that the help of all spiritual Masters, including Sri Bhagavan was available to me all the time. Having
been blessed with these visions, I now knew that I was on the right path, and I knew that my Master was guiding
me in everything that I did.

contd.,

(Compiled by David Godman, in his book 'The Power of The Presence', Book II.)

Arunachala Siva.         
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:20:24 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: July 25, 2015, 07:22:53 AM »

Sri Annamalai Swami, after early years of devotion to god, was directed by Sri Kanchi Chandrasekara Saraswati
to Bhagavan Ramana.  He came to Tiruvannamalai in mid 1929. He first met Seshadri Swami, who abused him,
as he usually did to every one.  Seshadri Swami threw a laddu on the road and Annamalai Swami also took a piece.
The devotee near Seshadri Swami told Annamalai Swami:  "His abuse is always good.  Your trip to Tiruvannamalai
will be successful.  You will stay here for long years, do not worry."

Annamalai Swami was entrusted with building work in the Asramam. He did construct the rakshana, a tough preventive wall (to stop the floods of rain waters)  on the far side of the Asramam, beyond Cow Lakshmi's Samadhi.  He also then
took up construction of old Office, dispensary, rooms, dining hall, cow shed and also the Mother's Temple.  Around 1946,
Bhagavan Ramana directed him to stop doing any work, and pursue his sadhana. He thus returned to Palakottu and
lived there till the end of his life.  Chadwick and others helped him, to build a small cottage, and also took care of
his minimum needs for eating etc.,

Bhagavan Ramana once told him not to see Him any more but to stay in Palakottu.  He did that.  He never met Bhagavan
Ramana again. Even on the Maha Nirvana day, he did not come and he did not attend the Samadhi ceremonies.

Bhagavan Ramana had told him to read Ellam Onre, a small Tamizh book, which he did every day.  He also used to
read Bhagavan Ramana's works and Kaivalya Navaneetam. 

His first book, a small diary, called Sri Ramana Ninaivugal, Sri Ramana Reminscences, was published in 1995, by Sri
Annmalai Swamigal Asramam, Palakottu, Tiruvannamalai. David Godman's famous Living by the Words of Bhagavan,
giving elaborate details about life and Sadhana of Annamalai Swami came in 1995.  His conversations with Western devotees, Final Talks (Ed. David Godman) came subsequently.     

One of Annamalai Swami's conversations with Bhagavan Ramana:

Annamalai Swami:  Bhagavan!  I only want one boon. I want the boon of not getting "I am the body" idea.

Bhagavan Ramana smiled and told him:  "All great people have toiled only for that.  You also do that."

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: July 25, 2015, 07:30:11 AM »

Nial Anglin writes in Mountain Path article of July-Sept. 2009:-

"The Self" as a term in English does not arouse any feelings in me, as do many of my favorites names of God used
in devotion. "Atman" has a more spiritual ring in it.  Though it does not arouse the fervor that the names of God do.
The name "Brahman" does not have a magic a sound to me as "Bhagavan" or "Lord" in English.  I am jealous of those
who feel a surge of reverence for the name "Brahman" which is repeated throughout Advaitic writings.  It is not exactly
that I don't feel reverence  -- I do -- but just that it does not strike a magic chord as certain names.  These names and
the sounds and effects they conjure up are just aids because I know from experience that attainment is possible without any magic names. Nevertheless, it is a Sattvic name and it softens the heart. Especially for devout Christians who have accepted the authority of Bhagavan Ramana, it is hard to break away from the duality of orthodox Christian theology
with its concepts of sin and guilt followed by punishment and the issue of free will.  Well, may be not so hard to break away from the notions of sin and guilt, since that is what some of us ran away from in search of a deeper truth.

I think of Christians as being, more faced with this dilemma, but Hindus who come from a background of bhakti, will
have the same challenges to break away from their heart-felt devotion in favor of the seemingly mechanical and
sterile proclamations of non duality which seem to have no heart.

Naturally in their devotion they never want to let go of the holy feet of their Lord.  Did not Sri Ramakrishna encourage
that eternal conviction? Those who are strong bhaktas, will probably not even entertain giving up their devotion
but they may still have doubts about Bhagavan Ramana's teachings on Self Inquiry, and worry that they may have to
give up what is most valuable to their spiritual life. 

The bliss of Bhagavan Ramana is beyond logical thought or expression in words.  To Him we seek the resolution
of the conflict between heart and our mind.  In Him, our devotion is transformed into Pure Knowledge, understanding
and totally peaceful and thought-free abidance in Pure Awareness of the consciousness of Being, peace that surpasses
all understanding.

Pure continuous awareness, Pure Consciousness.
Pure being. Stillness of Being.
I am.
Om Namah Sivaya.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: July 25, 2015, 01:33:17 PM »
Chhaganlal V. Yogi Reminiscences /Story:

Replying to a question of a visitor to Sri Ramanasramam a few years ago, Sri Ramana Maharshi said,:  "To  have
darshan of a saint is sure to bring good to you.  Thousands of people pass by Tiruvannamalai in trains everyday,
but few alight here and fewer still visit the Asramam. About darshan of and association with a saint, the scriptures
say that it is a vessel that enables you to cross the vast ocean of samsara.  What more benefit do you want?"

I can heartily endorse this comment, citing the evidence of my own particular case. By merely having the darshan
of Sri Bhagavan, the sun of spiritual wisdom appeared on the horizon of my life, driving away the darkness of
disbelief and delusion. It illuminated my heart with the light of devotion. Since that blissful moment, the gracious
gleam of light in my heart has been growing into a bigger and brighter flame.

How does darshan actually work?  Vinoba Bhave, the gerat disciple of Mahatma Gandhi, explained the process in
a speech he gave many years ago at Visakapatnam, in Andhra Pradesh:

'I own the fact that a person's external activities stop automatically when his heart is fully saturated with love
and his sense of non duality with all beings reaches its consummation.  If we happen to meet such a person who
has attained oneness with all, his mere darshan will drive away our miseries. But from among crores of people,
we will find only one Mahatma of this type,"

Sri Bhagavan was undoubtedly one of those rare Mahatmas who had the power to banish suffering merely through
His presence, merely through giving darshan. This giving darshan, and the concomitant transmission of grace,
formed the central and most important part of His teaching,

He said that, one must be wary of attaching too much importance to the external physical form of the one who
gives darshan, for has not Sri Bhagavan Himself said, 'The Guru is within. Meditation is meant to remove the
ignorant idea that he is only outside, If he be a stranger whom you await, he is bound to disappear also. What
is the use of a transient being like that?'

contd.,

(Compiled by David Godman, in his book 'The Power of The Presence', Book II.)

Arunachala Siva.           
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:19:17 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: July 26, 2015, 07:39:39 AM »

Once Bhagavan Ramana was strolling on the Hill along with a devotee.  The devotee stepped on a thorny bush
and a thorn stuck his sole.  He cried and immediately sat on a rock to pull out the thorn.  He asked Bhagavan Ramana: 

"Swami, you are walking on the Hill almost daily, and do the thorns stick to your sole and pain you?"  Bhagavan Ramana smiled, sat near him and showed His sole.  There were at least 10 thorns with their heads removed and deeply suck
into the sole. Bhagavan Ramana smiled and asked:  "Do you want to pull the old thorns or the new thorns?"  All have
been stamped out and their bottom portions are deep into His sole!

The old thorns may mean, Sanchita and Prarabdha.  The new thorns may mean Agami.  All have been stamped out,
says Kunju Swami.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: July 26, 2015, 02:22:55 PM »

He further says that in order to receive the grace of the Guru, 'One of the two things must be done: either surrender
yourself because you realize your inability and need a higher power to help you; or, investigate into the cause
of the cause of misery by self inquiry and so merge in the Self.  Either way you will attain freedom from misery.
God or Guru never forsakes the devotee who has surrendered himself.'

So, the Guru provides the darshan and the silent grace.  The devotee, for his part, tried to enhance his ability to
receive and experiencing that grace by inquiring 'Who am I?' or by surrendering to the source. Truly speaking,
darshan and grace go together; one inevitably follows from the other. Darshan begets the experience of grace,
and if it does not beget it, the darshan is not that of a true saint or sage.

A saint's darshan will always be fruitful; it can only bring good.  But as Vinobaji says, in the vast multitude of
lakhs and crores, there will only be one true sage.  Hence, when we find such a sage, we must avail ourselves of
his darshan and grace to our fullest capacity.

Though the darshan and the grace are always beneficial, the devotee may not always be aware of the purifying
effect they are having on him.  This can be illustrated by an incident I witnessed in Sri Bhagavan's Hall.

For most of the day Sri Bhagavan used to sit on His sofa, which was adjacent to a window. Squirrels would
occasionally come in through the window and run around near Him. Sri Bhagavan would often respond to them
by lovingly feeding them cashews or other foodstuffs with His own hand.

One day Sri Bhagavan was feeding the squirrels when a Muslim devotee, who had been watching Him, gave Him
a note in which was written: "The squirrels are fortunate because they are getting the food from your own hands.
Your grace is so much on them.  We feel jealous of the squirrels and feel that we also should have been born
as squirrels.  Then it would have been very good for us."

Sri Bhagavan could not help laughing when He read this note.

He told the man, "How do you know that the grace is not there on you also?'

And then, to illustrate His point, He started to tell a long story.

contd.,

(Compiled by David Godman, in his book, 'The Power of the Presence', Book II)

Arunachala Siva.           
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:18:51 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: July 27, 2015, 02:08:54 PM »

Bhagavan told this long story:

'One saint had the siddhi (supernatural powers) of correct predictive speech.  That is, whatever he said came true.
In whatever town he went to, the local people would come to him to have his darshan and to get his blessings. The
saint, who was also full of compassion, removed the unhappiness of the people by blessing them.  Because his
words always came true, the blessings always bore fruit.  That is why he was so popular.

'During his wanderings he came to a town where, as usual, a lot of people flocked him to get his blessings. Among
the blessing seekers there was a thief.  He went to have darshan of the saint in the evening and asked for his
blessings.  When the saint blessed him, the thief was very happy. He felt certain that, because of these blessings,
when he went out to steal at night, he would be successful. But it turned out otherwise. Whenever he went to break
into a house, somebody or other from that house would wake up and he would have to run away.  He tried in three
or four places but he could not succeed anywhere.

'Because of his failure, the thief got very angry with the saint.

'Early the next morning he went back to him and angrily said, 'You are an impostor!  You are giving false blessings
to the people.'

'The saint very peacefully asked the reason for his anger. In reply the thief narrated in detail how unsuccessful
he had been during his attempts to steal the previous night.

'Having heard his story, the saint commented, 'In that case, the blessings have borne fruit.'

'How?' the thief asked with astonishment.

'Brother, first tell me: being a thief, is it good or bad job?'

'It is bad', the thief admitted, but then he defended himself by saying,'But what about the stomach that
I have to feed?'

'The saint continued with his explanation: 'To be unsuccessful  in bad work means that the blessings have
indeed borne fruit. There are so many other ways of feeding the stomach.  You should accept any one of
them. To come to this conclusion it was necessary that you be unsuccessful in your thieving work.'

'The thief understood and informed the saint that in future, he would take some other, honest work.  He prostrated
before the saint and left.'

Having narrated the above story, Sri Bhagavan asked the Muslim devotee,'Do you mean to say that if everything
goes according to your desires, only then is it possible to say that the grace of a saint has worked?'

'I don't understand', replied the Muslim devotee.

Sri Bhagavan explained in more detail: 'The blessings of a saint perform the purificatory work of life.  These
blessings cannot increase impurity.  One whose understanding is limited will ask for blessings so that he can
fulfill certain desires, but if the desires are such that their fulfillment will make the seeker more impure
rather than purer, the saint's blessings will not enable him to fulfill the desires.  In this way the seeker is
saved from further impurities. In that case,are not the saint's blessings a gift of compassion?'

The Muslim devotee finally understood and was satisfied by these words.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.         
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:18:27 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: July 27, 2015, 05:08:17 PM »
Chhaganlal V. Yogi Reminiscences /Story:

Frugality, Faith and Non Possession:

As Sri Bhagavan's fame began to spread, the number of visitors to the Asramam increased.  Many of them tired
to offer Him presents such as fancy sheets for His sofa, curtains for the doors, and windows, embroidered carpets,
etc., In order to satisfy the devotees who offered these things, Sri Bhagavan would usually allow His attendant,
to substitute, for a short period of time, the new offerings for the ones that were already in use.  After a few hours
they would be removed  and sent away to the Asramam store room, and the old, still serviceable items would be
brought back into use.  Sri Bhagavan would briefly utilize these presents merely to strengthen the devotion of the
donors.  Left to Himself, He would use cheap or old items, and never claim that they were His own. Devotees
to who tried to get Him to use newer or better made products could always count on resistance from Sri Bhagavan
Himself.  I discovered this for myself when I tried to give Him a new pen.

Sri Bhagavan generally used two fountain pens; one contained blue ink, the other, red. Both of these pens were
quite old and looked, to me, at least worn out.  One day the top cover of the red ink pen cracked, so a devotee
took it to town to have it repaired.  It was gone for several days.  During this period, Sri Bhagavan reverted to
an old fashioned nib pen that had to be dipped in an ink pot of red ink.  Since this seemed to cause Him some
inconvenience, I decided to get Him a new pen. I wrote to a friend in Bombay and asked him to send one immediately.
A few days later the pen arrived by post.  I went straight to Sri Bhagavan and handed over the unopened parcel
containing the pen.

Whenever a parcel or letter bore the name of the sender on the cover, Sri Bhagavan never failed to notice it.
As soon as He received the packet from me, He turned it over and read the name of both the recipient and the
sender. Having deduced that the parcel had been sent at my instigation, He took out the pen, carefully examined               
it, and put it back in the box. He then tried to hand the box to me.

Allowing it to remain in His hand, I explained, 'It has been ordered from Bombay specially for Sri Bhagavan's use.'

'By whom?' He asked.

'By me' I said, not without some embarrassment because I was beginning to feel that Sri Bhagavan did not approve
of my action.

'What for?' demanded Sri Bhagavan.

'Sri Bhagavan's red ink pen was out of order,' I said, 'and I saw that it was inconvenient for Him to write with a
pen holder and nib. 

'But what is wrong with this old pen?' He asked, taking out the old red ink pen that had then been received back
in good repair.

'What is wrong with it?' He repeated.  He opened it up and wrote a few words to demonstrate that it had been
restored to a full working order.

'Who asked you to send for a new pen?' demanded Sri Bhagavan again. He was clearly annoyed that I had done
this on His behalf.

'No one asked me', I said, with faltering courage.  'I  sent for it on my own authority.'

Sri Bhagavan waved the old pen at me. 'As you can see, the old pen has been repaired and writes very well.
Where is the need for a new pen?'

Since I could not argue with Him, I resorted to pleading and said, 'I admit that it was my mistake, but now
that it has come, why not use it anyway?'

My plea was turned down and the new pen went the way of all its forerunners.  It was sent to the office to be
used there.

contd.,

(Compiled by David Godman, in his book, 'The Power of the Presence', Book II)

Arunachala Siva.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:18:03 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: July 28, 2015, 07:40:41 AM »

During His last years, Bhagavan Ramana had to walk with great difficulty, with His weakened legs.  But He always preferred to walk any distances within the Asramam, on His own and never allowed to support Him.

One over anxious devotee once followed Bhagavan Ramana, for quite some time, when He was walking.  Bhagavan
Ramana asked him:  Why are you coming behind me?  The devotee replied:  Bhagavan! Just to hold You, in case
You fall."

Bhagavan Ramana replied him with smile:  "Please see that you do not fall.  I shall take care of myself."

Arthur Osborne writes about the anxieties that everyone had during Bhagavan Ramana's last days, when He was
walking with great strain to dining hall, from the Jubilee Hall, that is, the front portion of Mother's Temple, where
there is a stone image of Bhagavan Ramana today with a stone sofa.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: July 28, 2015, 12:56:12 PM »
Chhaganlal. V. Yogi Reminiscences /Story:

Sri Bhagavan gave us an example of how to live simply by refusing to accumulate unnecessary thins around Him.
He also refused to let anyone do any fund raising on behalf of the Asramam.  In this too He set an example.
He taught us that if we maintain an inner silence and faith in God's providence, everything we need will automatically.
He demonstrated the practicality of this approach by refusing to let anyone collect money for the construction of the
temple over His Mother's Samadhi.  Though large amounts of money were being spent on it everyday, we had to
rely on unsolicited donations to carry on the work. I knew this from direct experience because one day the Asramam
Manager asked me to get permission from Sri Bhagavan to go to Ahmedabad to ask for donation from a rich man
I knew who lived there.   Sri Bhagavan, as usual, flatly refused.  No amount of persuasion could move Him from His
categorical 'No.' 

'How is it,'  He complained,'that you people have no faith?'

He pointed to the Hill and told us, 'This Arunachala gives us everything we need.'

In His early years on the Hill, Sri Bhagavan and His devotees lived on begged food. He had no objection to this form
of begging.  Indeed, as a teenager He walked the streets of Tiruvannamalai, begging for His own food.  What He
objected to, when devotees went out to beg for their food, was asking for specific items  Devotees could only eat
what was freely given.

In that period that Sri Bhagavan lived in Virupaksha Cave,, visiting devotees would often leave food for the
people who lived there.  The resident devotees would beg for additional food if the donated amount was not
enough.   If the combined amount was insufficient to make a good meal for everyone, Sri Bhagavan would mix
all the food together, add hot water and make a kind of porridge that would then be shared equally among atl
those present.

Devotees who found this home made gruel unappetizing would sometimes request that at least some salt should
be added to the mixture.

'But where are we  to get the salt?'  Sri Bhagavan would ask.  'Who will give us salt unless we specifically ask
for it?  If once we relax our rule of non begging in order to get salt, the palate that craves for salt today will
next cry out for sambar, then for rasam, then for butter milk and so on.  Its cravings will thus grow endlessly.
Because of this, we should stick to our rule of non begging.'

It was certainly no joke to live with Sri Bhagavan in those early days.  Sometimes the devotees had to do without
salt, at other times without a substantial meal.  There were even days when there was no food at all.

contd.,

(Compiled by David Godman, in his book, 'The Power of the Presence' Book II)

Arunachala Siva.   

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:40:35 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: July 29, 2015, 07:37:50 AM »
Yogananda came to see Bhagavan Ramana in his long red gown and a trouser within.  There is a photograph too.
Some details are available in the 8-volume book of Arunachala Ramana.  I have to pick up and tell you.  To me, on seeing the photograph, it appeared that Yogananda and Bhagavan Ramana represent the short and lomg of Jnana Marga.

With regard to Ma Ananda Mayi, I had no idea in detail.  There is a reference about her, in Devaraja Mudaliar's Day
by Day,page 305-306, 1995 edition. There, Mudaliar refers to her super-conscious state where she would tell the
future and past of visitors.  Bhagavan Ramana said:  "Yes. It is possible. Through yogic siddhis, one can know the
hidden aspects of time and space.  But it has nothing to do with Jnana."

Later I came to know, that Ma Ananda Mayi came to visit the Asramam in late 1990s and spent some time there.
She had said:  I have come to my Father's place.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:20:40 AM by Subramanian.R »