Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 200070 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #1185 on: July 21, 2015, 12:15:59 PM »
Viswantha Swami Reminiscences /Story:

On one occasion, during the last months, Bhagavan asked an anxious attendant, 'When we have finished a meal,
do we keep the leaf plate on which we have eaten it?'

On another occasion, He told the same attendant that the Jnani rejoices to be relieved of the body, by death,
in the same way that a servant rejoices when he lays down his burden at the place of delivery.

With a look of compassion, Bhagavan, in His last days, consoled a devotee, saying, 'They take the body for Bhagavan
and attribute suffeing to Him. What a pity!  They are despondent  that Bhagavan is going to leave them and
go away. Where can He go and how?'

When one of His attendants entered His room, Bhagavan greeted him with a smile and asked, 'Do you know what
Moksha is?'

The attendant looked at the Master in receptive silence, so Bhagavan continued: Getting rid of non existent misery
and attaining bliss, which is the only existence; that is the definition of Moksha!'

Even during His last days, when He was unable to come out of His room, Bhagavan continued to give darshan
to hundreds of devotees, morning and evening, reclining majestically on His couch, like Bhishma on his bed of
arrows.  Bhagavan did not agree to the cancellation if darshan even on days when His condition was critical.
The darshan went on up to the last evening.

As the news of the rapid deterioration of Bhagavan's physical condition spread, hundreds of devotees came to
Tiruvannamalai to have a final darshan.  In the queue that filed past His room there were men and women, rich
and poor, literates and illiterates from all parts of India and abroad. All were united in their devotion to this
Divine Personification.

On Wednesday morning, two days before the Mahanirvana, Bhagavan gave a peculiar look of grace to everyone
who passed before Him in the queue.  It struck some of them that it might be the parting look of Bhagavan,
and so it proved to be, for during His last two days, Bhagavan had not the physical energy to turn around
and look at the devotees. But whether His eyes were open or closed, His mind was always clear and He was
able to talk to His attendants whenever it was necessary.

On Thursday morning, when a doctor brought some medicine to relieve congestion in the lungs, Bhagavan  told
him that it was not necessary and that everything would come right within two days. That night Bhagavan directed
His attendants to retire for sleep or meditation and leave Him alone.

contd.,

(Compiled by David Godman, in his book, 'The Power of the Presence,' Book II).

Arunachala Siva.                     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: July 21, 2015, 12:33:20 PM »
Viswanatha Swami Reminiscences / Story:

On Friday morning, Bhagavan said 'thanks' to an attendant who had just then finished massaging His body.
The attendant who did not know English, blinked with surprise.  Bhagavan explained to him with a smile the
import of English expression.  We all thought that Bhagavan, on the eve of His withdrawal from the physical
plane, was probably conveying through himHis thanks to all who served Him.

That evening there was a vast gathering of devotees and all of them had darshan of Bhagavan. Many stayed
on at the Asramam after darshan because they knew that Bhagavan's condition was critical.

At about sunset, Bhagavan asked His attendants to lift Him up to a sitting position.  They raised Him up and
put Him in a comfortable position with one of them gently supporting His head. One of the doctors began to
give Him oxygen but Bhagavan made him stop with a wave of His right hand.

There were ten or twelve persons, including doctors and,attendants, in the small room. Two of them were
fanning Bhagavan while hundreds more waited anxiously outside the door. A group of devotees seated in front
of the room began chanting with devotional fervor the hymn of Arunachala composed by Bhagavan that has the
chorus 'Arunachala Siva, Arunachala Siva, Arunachala Siva, Arunachala' .  Bhagavan's eyes opened a little and
flashed for a moment. From their outer edges, tears of ecstasy rolled down His cheeks.

The last breaths followed one another, softly, smoothly.  Then with no premonition or shock, the breathing stopped.
Bhagavan had receded  into His Reality, the Heart of the universe.  The extraordinary peace of the hour overwhelmed
everyone in His presence.  The transcendental glory of Bhagavan, the luminous Self, finally prevailed and was
felt by all present.  Bhagavan's final silence proclaimed, 'Unveiled, here I am, effulgent in my eternal reality.'

contd.,

(Compiled by David Godman, in his book, 'The Power of the Presence', Book II)

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: July 21, 2015, 02:01:24 PM »
Viswanatha Swami Reminiscences /Story:

The climaxof my own spiritual experiences in the proximity of Bhagavan took place during these last moments. As
I stood in that small room everything became shadowy, enveloped by an indivisible pure awareness, the one-
and-only, ever present Reality.  There was not the least feeling of separation from Bhagavan or the lest vestige
of sorrow on His physical death.  Instead, there was a positive ecstasy and an elation of spirit which was nothing   
but natural state of the Self.

A devotee once asked Bhagavan: 'Who are you Arunachala Ramana?  Are you God or a Siddha?' Bhagavan who
was living in Virupaksha Cave at that time, replied in verse;  'The Supreme Self, the blissful pure consciousness
sporting within the heart of all gods and creatures, is Arunachala Ramana.'

To those blessed devotees who have contacted Bhagavan in the Heart, He is the eternal presence, the unchanging
reality, the substratum of all appearance.  But even we, the many who have not understood and utilized properly
this rare opportunity of Bhagavan's advent in our midst, can still be spiritually benefited by Him.  The potency
of His grace is such that it will, in course of time, effect a spiritual transformation in us, annihilate our ego, the
source of all evil, and absorb us back into the Life Eternal. Let us open and surrender ourselves to His grace.

Viswanatha Swami Reminiscences /Story - concluded.

(Compiled by David Godman, in his book 'The Power of the Presence', Book II)

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: July 21, 2015, 02:24:17 PM »
Chhaganlal V. Yogi Reminiscences / Story:

A Personal Encounter:

What does Sri Bhagavan mean to me?  After many years of experiencing His grace, I can now reply, 'He is
everything to me, He is my Guru, and my God.'  I can say this with confidence because, had I not had the
good fortune of seeing Him and thereafter getting into closer contact with Him, I would have been still
groping in the dark.  I would still have been a doubting Thomas.

How did it all begin?  When I was 18, I read a lot of books by Swami Vivekananda and Swami Rama Tirtha. This
reading generated a desire in me that I should also become a sannyasin, like the authors of these books.
Their writings also implanted in me the ideal of plain living, high thinking, and a life dedicated to spiritual
matters.  Somehow, my desire to become a sannyasin was never fulfilled, but the ideal of a dedicated life
made a deeper and deeper impression on my mind. At the age of 20, I had the good fortune of contacting
Mahatma Gandhi.  His ideals won my heart and for several years I faithfully tried to put them into practice.

I was doing my duty to the best of my ability and leading, as best I could, a pure and dedicated life till the age
of 38.  Around that time, skepticism began to assail me and my mind became a home of all kinds of doubts.
I began to doubt the ideals of Gandhiji. I began to doubt sadhus and sannyasins. I doubted religion, and I
began to doubt the existence of God.

It was in the darkest period of my life that I first heard of Sri Ramana Maharshi. At that time I seemed to be
heading swiftly towards total skepticism.  The world appeared to me full of injustice, cruelty, greed, hate and
other evils, the existence of which logically led me to a strong disbelief in God. For, I argued, had He truly
existed, could anything dark or evil ever have flourished?   Doubt upon doubt assailed me like dark shadows
that dogged my food steps.  I had, as a consequence, lost whatever little reverence I might have had sadhus
and sannyasins. I found myself slowly but surely losing my interest in religion. The very word itself eventually
became a synonym in my mind for a clever ruse to delude the credulous of the world. In short, I began to live
a life lacking in optimism and faith. I was not happy in my disbelief, for my mind took on the aspect of turbulent
waters, and i felt that all around me there was raging a scorching fife that seemed to burn up my very entrails.

contd.,

(Compiled by David Godman, in his book, 'The Power of the Presence'.  Book II)

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: July 21, 2015, 02:52:46 PM »
Chhaganlal V. Yogi Reminsicences / Story:

One day, while travelling as usual on the train to the office, I happened to meet a friend, who had spent over a
decade in Europe and America. I had not met him for quite a long time and I sometimes used to wonder where
he had disappeared to. In answer to a query about his recent activities he said that he had been to Sri
Ramansaramam and immediately launched into a description of what went on there. While he was trying to
describe to me his experience of the darshan of Sri Bhagavan he drew out from his pocket a small packet that
he extended to me. I wondered what it contained.  He explained that it contained something extremely precious
-- some Vibhuti, holy ashes brought from the Asramam. He insisted on my accepting them.  His kind invitation
did not interest me in the least. On the other hand, it amused me.

I said, scornfully, 'Pardon me, but I think that all this sort of thing is mere sham and humbug, so I trust you
will not misunderstand me if I refuse to accept.'

He then argued that by refusing his gift,m I was not merely insulting him, I was also insulting the Vibhuti.

I thought that this was rather comical, but to placate him I replied, 'Well, if that be so, to please you I will
take a pinch of these ashes on condition that you will allow me to do whatever I like with them.'

Unsuspectingly, he nodded his head in assent and passed the packet over to me. A smile appeared on his lips
as he watched me take a pinch out of it. This smile was the preface to the zealous lecture on Sri Bhagavan
and His miraculous greatness. While he was lost in his missionary enthusiasm , I surreptitiously let the ashes
fall onto the floor of the compartment.  To be quite frank, it was a relief when my friend had concluded what I
had then considered to be a puerile and unnecessary lecture. 

At the end of it, I remarked, 'I have an utter contempt for these so called saints.'

My friend refused to give up. He insisted on impressing on me that Sri Ramana Maharshi was not a 'so called'
saint, but an authentic sage, acknowledged as such by great savants all over the world. He suggested that for
my own benefit I read about Him in some of the available literature. To start me off, he gave me a book entitled
'Sri Maharshi' that had been written by Sri Kamath, the editor of The Sunday Times in Madras.

I must confess that despite my prejudices the book evoked in me an interest in Sri Bhagavan.  After completing
this small book I was sufficiently curious to borrow another book about Him from a different friend. It was the
second edition of Self Realization, the earliest full length biography of Sri Bhagavan.  From then on, my interest
grew without my being aware of it.  A little later I felt compelled to write to Sri Ramanasramam to ask for all
the literature on Sri Bhagavan that was available in English. As I began to study it with great avidity, I found
that my outlook on life began to undergo a subtle transformation, but only a partial one.  At the back of my mind,
there still lurked a heavy doubt, resembling a cloud, that stained the gathering illumination. My old skepticism did
not wish to yield place so easily to this new faith, which was apparently being inculcated in my mind..

contd.,

(Compiled by David Godman, in his book 'The Power of the Presence', Book II)

Arunachala Siva.                 

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:22:03 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: July 21, 2015, 04:39:27 PM »

My skepticism tried to challenge my new faith by arguing, 'So many books are wonderful to read, but their
authors, more often than not, are not as wonderful to know. It is possible for men to teach truths that they
are unable to live themselves. What, then, is the use of books, however wonderful?'

To counter this doubt, I decided to correspond directly with Sri Bhagavan. Over the next few months, I wrote
several letters to Him, all of which were answered by His Asramam with a rare punctuality. However, although
they breathed the teachings of the Master, they hardly gave me a glimpse into the nature of he daily life lived
by Him.  Because of this I began to be haunted by a desire to visit the Asramam to see for myself what went
on there.

To fulfill  that desire, I paid my first visit to Sri Ramanasramam in the Christmas holidays of 1939. At first
I was terribly disappointed because nothing seemed to strike me in the way I had expected. I found Sri
Bhagavan seated on a couch, as quiet and unmoving as a statue.  His presence did not seem to emanate
anything unusual, and I was very disappointed to discover that He displayed no interest in me at all. I had
expected warmth and intimacy, but unfortunately I seemed to be in the presence of someone who lacked both.
From morning till evening I sat waiting to catch a glimpse of His grace, of His interest in me, a stranger who had
come all the way from Bombay, but I evoked no response.  Sri Bhagavan merely seemed cold and unaffected.
After pinning my hopes on Him, His apparent lack of interest nearly broke my heart. Eventually, I decided to
leave the Asramam, knowing fully well that if I did so, I would be more skeptical and hard headed than before.

The Veda Parayana was chanted every morning in Sri Bhagavan's presence. It was considered to be one of the
most attractive items in the daily programme of the Asramam, but in my depressed state it fell flat n my ears.
It was the evening of the day I decided to leave.  The sun was setting like a sad farewell, spreading a darkness
over both the Hill and my heart.  The gloom deepened until the neighborhood disappeared into the blackness of
the night. In my sensitive state the electric light that was switched on in the Hall seemed like a living wound
on the body of darkness.  My mind, which was deeply tormented, felt that the psychic atmosphere in the Hall
was stuffy and choking.  Unable to bear it any longer, I walked outside to get a breath of fresh air.

A young man called Gopalan came up to me and asked me where I( had come from.

'Bombay', I replied.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                             
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:22:29 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: July 22, 2015, 11:57:06 AM »
Chhaganlal V. Yogi Reminiscences /Story:

He asked me if i had been introduced to the Master, and when I replied that I had not, he was most surprised.
He immediately led me to the office, introduced me to the Sarvadhikari and then proceeded with me to the Hall
where he introduced me to Sri Bhagavan. When He heard my name, Sri Bhagavan's eyes turned to me, looked
straight into mine and twinkled like stars.  With a smile beaming with grace, He asked me if I were a Gujarati.
I replied that I was. Immediately He sent for a copy of the Gujarati translation by Sri Kishorelal Mashurwala,
of Upadesa Saram, a few copies of which had only just arrived. He then asked me to chant the Gujarati verses
from the book.

'But I am not a singer', I answered, hesitating to begin. But when it became clear that i was expected to
perform, I got over my initial hesitation and began to chant verses from the book.  I had sung about fifteen
when the bell for the evening meal rang.  All the time, I was chanting I could feel Sri Bhagavan keenly observing
me.  It seemed that the light of His eyes was suffusing my consciousness, even without my being aware of it.
His silent gaze brought about a subtle but definite transformation in me.  The darkness, which a few minutes
before had seemed heavy and unbearable, gradually lightened and melted into a glow of well being.  My
erstwhile sadness completely disappeared, leaving in my heart an inexplicable emotion of joy.  My limbs
appeared to have been washed in an ocean tide of freedom.

That evening I sat close to Sri Bhagavan in the dining room.  In my exalted state the food I ate seemed to have
an unearthly taste.  I quite literally felt that I was participating in some heavenly meal in the direct presence of
God.  After having such an experience I of course abandoned all thought of leaving the Asramam that night.
I stayed on for three days longer in order to widen the sacred and extraordinary experience that had already
begun, an experience of divine grace, that I felt would lead me in the direction of spiritual liberation.

contd.,

(Compiled by David Godman, in his book, 'The Power of the Presence', Book II)]

Arunachalan Siva.       
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:22:48 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: July 22, 2015, 12:13:51 PM »

During the three days of my stay in the proximity of the Divine Master, I found my whole outlook entirely
changed.  After that short I period I could find little evidence of my old self, a self that had been tied down
with all kinds of preconceptions and prejudices. I felt had lost the chains that bind the eyes of true vision.
I became aware that the whole texture of my mind had undergone a change.  The colors of the world seemed
different, and even the ordinary daylight took an ethereal aspect. I began to see the foolishness and the futility
of turning my gaze only on the dark side of life.

In those few days, Sri Bhagavan, the divine magician, opened up for ma a strange new world of illumination,
hope and joy. I felt that His Presence on earth alone constituted sufficient proof that humanity, suffering,
and wounded because of its obstinate ignorance, could be uplifted and saved.  For the first time, I fully
understood the significance of darshan.

While I lay in bed in the guest room of the Asramam, the encounter that had taken place on the train in Bombay
replayed itself in my mind. I recalled the blind audacity that had prompted me to drop the thrice holy vibhuti
in contempt onto the floor of the railway carriage.  Today, even one speck of such vibhuti is a treasure to me,
for prasad received from the Master is a form of grace that no wealth on earth may buy.  Sometimes I even feel
that I am not worthy enough to raise it to my eyelids and streak my forehead with it.

'O Master', I thought to myself, 'what a miracle of transformation! Why did it take half a lifetime before I could
meet you? Half a lifetime of blundering, of failing and falling.  But I suppose, my Master, that you would say
that time is a mental concept.  For I feel that in your sight your bhaktas have, throughout all time, always been
with you and near you.'

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.       
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:23:07 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: July 22, 2015, 02:15:07 PM »
Chhaganlal V.Yogi Reminiscences / Story:

As these thoughts were passing through my mind, I slowly fell into a deep sleep. The next morning I arose in a
rejuvenated state.  There was a new vigor in my limbs and an awareness that my heart was permeated with light.
On the third day of my visit I sadly took leave of Sri Bhagavan.  I was still human enough, still caught in the sense
of time and space, for parting to leave me with a feeling of aching and emptiness in the heart. But there was no
despair. Something assured me that I would be returning to the feet of the Master sooner than I could imagine.

My intuition turned out to be correct. In the following years, repeated visits seemed to be miraculously and easily
arranged by the Master.  He seemed to know that I felt an occasional need to be close to Him physically.  In the
years that followed each succeeding visit deepened the light within, toned up my nerves and suffused my senses
with an increasing experience of exhilaration.

The subtle and subconscious manner with which the Master toils at His children is amazing. There were times
without number when I distinctly saw His hand, His mighty hand, extended to me when I stood in need of guidance.
These occasions continually reminded me of His famous comment in Who am I?

He that has earned the grace of the Guru shall undoubtedly be saved and never forsaken, just as the prey
that has fallen into the tiger's jaws will never be allowed to escape.

Printing Press Stories:

In 1945, I decided to wind up my printing press in Bombay in order to go and settle at Sri Ramanasramam.
I had no prearranged plan for closing down my business. I merely relied on Sri Bhagavan.  And He in turn
responded to my devout prayer.

In the early hours of the morning, while I was still in my bed and only half awake, I saw a vision in which
Sri Bhagavan appeared before me.  By His side stood a gentleman who I had recognized as a friend of mine.
He had neither been to the Asramam nor had he ever exhibited any faith in Sri Bhagavan.  The following
conversation then took place between Sri Bhagavan and myself.

Bhagavan: You want to sell your press, don't you?

Me: Yes, Bhagavan, but I must find a buyer.

Bhagavan: (showing my friend by His side): Here is the buyer. He will buy your press, so sell it to him.

Me: Since Sri Bhagavan has been kind enough to show me the buyer, may He also favor me by stating the
amount at which I should execute the sale.

Sri Bhagavan showed me then five figures on the opposite wall that were shining like a neon sign. The amount   
indicated to me was quite reasonable, neither low nor exorbitant.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:23:38 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: July 22, 2015, 04:35:59 PM »

Sri Bhagavan and my friend then disappeared from my sight and the vision ended. By itself the vision was
astonishing enough, but there was more to come. When I entered my press that day at 11 am. my friend
from the vision was waiting there for me.  Of course, he had come to see me about some other work and
had no idea that he had been singled out as a prospective buyer.  Feeling that Sri Bhagavan had sent him
to see me, I told him about the vision that had come to me a few hours before.  He listened to me very attentively.

When I had finished my tale he simply commented, 'I will buy your price at the price indicated by your Guru.'

There was no limit to my joy. My desire to sell was fulfilled by His grace and the sale was completed in less
than a minute.

My original plan had been to sell all my property in Bombay and move directly to Sri Ramanasramam. However,
the devotees heard what I was planning to do, it was suggested to me that I could be of more use to the Asramam
in Bangalore. I was asked to start a printing press there that could execute all of Sri Ramanasramam's printing
work.  I agreed to the idea and soon found myself in Bangalore, looking for suitable premises. i began to suspect
that Sri Bhagavan had assisted the sale of my original press because in the city but soon I located an old press
for sale.  I saw its proprietor and told him why I wished buy his business.  He agreed to sell it to me but we were
unable to agree on a price. To break the deadlock I proposed that both of us should visit the Asramam and suggested
that we could talk about the deal after we had had Sri Bhagavan's darshan. I thought that since Sri Bhagavan  wanted
me to do this work in Bangalore, his darshan might help to lubricate the wheels of the transactions.

The owner agreed to the idea, so we set off together for Sri Ramanasramam. On our arrival, I took him into the
holy presence of Sri Bhagavan and informed Him that I propose to buy the press of the gentleman who was
accompanying me, and that I planned to do all the Asramam's printing work there. Sri Bhagavan did not say
anything; He just nodded His head.

Within a few hours of having had Sri Bhagavan's darshan, there was a wonderful change in the attitude of the
owner of the press.  He approached me and agreed to sell his press for whatever price I was willing to pay for it.
I started a reasonable amount since I did not want to exploit him, and he happily accepted my offer. When he had
agreed to come and see Sri Bhagavan, he proposed that we settle our business immediately. We drafted and signed
a sale agreement in the Asramam itself and within a week of our visit the press came into my possession.

It was a fairly big press that enabled me to do all kinds of printing work in several languages. Because of the good
facilities that were available there, I undertook to print Asramam books in English, Tamizh, Telugu, Hindi, Gujarati
and Kannada.

The press, which was given the name 'Aruna Press' by Sri Bhagavan Himself, had been idle for six months. It
needed a lot of work to get it functioning again, but by Sri Bhagavan's grace I was soon able to take up the
Asramam work that had been given to me.

contd.,

(Compiled from David Godman, in his book The Power of the Presence', Book II)

Arunachala Siva.                   

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:23:58 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: July 23, 2015, 07:25:10 AM »

Bhagavan Ramana recommended eating sattvic food in moderation. He also said that there is no need for fasting
or keeping awake without usual sleep.  He only said moderation in sleep is also necessary and one should not sleep
during daytime.

Kunju Swami and his friend Ramakrishna Swami once decided to take only tea a few times a day and go without
sleep, as sadhana.  They were doing it in Skandasramam or somewhere, when Bhagavan Ramana had already come
to the foot hills near Mother's Samadhi.  Kunju Swami and his friend could not sustain these fasting (but for occasional
tea) and sleepless throughout night for long.

One morning they came down to the foothills to see Bhagavan.

Bhagavan Ramana told them:  "Enough of these asuric and unwanted practices.  Go and eat.  Tiruchuzhi dosai
is prepared in the Asramam.  Go and eat.  The disciples promptly listened to Him and thus came the end of their compulsive practices.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: July 23, 2015, 07:33:19 AM »

Further verses are under:-

(These verses should be read after the next post.)

87.  The Master beamed on him as he spoke, drew him near and said very lovingly:  "To stay fixed in the Self,
without three kinds of obstacles obstructing your experience, is the highest return you can render me."

88.  "My Lord! Can such realization as has transcended the dust perception of "You" and "I" and found the Self
to entire and all-pervading, fail me at any time?"

89.  The Master replied:  "The truth that I am Brahman is realized from the scriptures only by the Grace of the Master,
but it cannot be firm in the face of obstructions. Ignorance, uncertainty and wrong knowledge are obstacles
resulting from the longstanding habits in the innumerable incarnations of the past which cause trouble, and then the
fruits of realization slip away.  Therefore, root them out by hearing the Truth, reasoning and meditation.

90. Checked by incantations, fire will not scorch.  Likewise, defective realization will not put an end to bondage.
Therefore, devote yourself to hearing the Truth, reasoning and meditation and root out ignorance, uncertainty and
wrong knowledge.

91. Ignorance veils the Truth that the Self is Brahman and shows forth multiplicity instead; uncertainty is the confusion
resulting from lack of faith in the words of the Master; the illusion that the evanescent world is a reality and that the
body is the self is wrong knowledge.  So say the sages.

92.  Hearing the Truth is to revert the mind repeatedly to the teaching:  That thou art.  Reasoning is rational investigation
of the meaning of the text, as steadily as possible, already heard. Meditation is one pointedness of the mind.  If everyday, you do these, you will surely gain liberation.

93. The practice must be kept up so long as the sense of knower, and knowledge persists.  No effort is necessary thereafter. Remaining as pure eternal Consciousness, untainted like the ether, and thus liberated while alive, one will live forever as That  -- after being disembodied also.

Kunju Swami never left Bhagavan Ramana after reading this portion of Kaivalya Navaneetam, excepting when Bhagavan
Ramana told him to attend some work in Tiruvannamalai or outside.

(These verses should be read after the next post.)

Arunachala Siva.     

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:46:23 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: July 23, 2015, 07:43:41 AM »

Kaivalya Navaneetam is one of the few original texts that deals with Advaitic principles.  It is authored by Tandavaraya Swami. Bhagavan Ramana used to refer this book for reading by devotees, on many occasions.

Kunju Swami came to Bhagavan Ramana, stayed there in the Hill, with Him for a good number of days.  He started
feeling that this progress in Sadhana could now be done in Palakkad itself in his home.  He left Tiruvannamalai.  In Palakkad, he found himself back to square one, within a week.  So he rushed to Tiruvannamalai and told Bhagavan Ramana about his predicament. Bhagavan Ramana smiled at him and told him to read the Verses 83 to 93 in the first chapter of KN, titled The Exposition of Truth.

83. On hearing this, the disciple loyal to the instructions of the Master, discarded the five sheaths and the blank,
realized the Self as "I am Brahman", went beyond that and remained as Perfect Being.

84. At the glance of the Master, who was Grace incarnate, the worthy disciple sank into the Ocean of Bliss, and
merged as the undivided Whole as pure Consciousness free from body, organs and all else, with the mind made
perfect and he became the true Self, unaware while awake.

85.  As the blessed disciple had remained in that state for a long time, his mind gently turned outward. 
Then he saw his glorious Master before him.  His eyes were filled with tears of joy.  He was full of love and fell at
the feet of the Master. He rose up, came round the Master and with folded hands spoke to him.

86.  "Lord, you are the Reality remaining as my inmost Self, riding me during all countless incarnations!  Glory to
you who have put on an external form in order to instruct me!  I do not see how I can repay your Grace, for having liberated me.  Glory! Glory to your holy feet!"

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: July 23, 2015, 02:28:35 PM »
Chhaganlal V.Yogi Reminiscences / Story:

In 1946, the devotees of Sri Bhagavan decided to celebrate a golden jubilee to commemorate Sri Bhagavan's
fifty years at Arunachala.  He had arrived on September 1st,1896, and on that same date in 1946, the Asramam
proposed to mark the occasion by a number of special events. one of which was the publication of a book entitled
The Golden Jubilee Souvenir.  The printing of this souvenir was entrusted to my press. Up till then,the press had
printed only small booklets for the Asramam.  Since this was going to be a big volume of several hundred pages,
I was initially reluctant to accept the work because I felt that I would not have enough time to complete it.  However,
once I overcame my diffidence and accepted the commission, help and cooperation began to pour in.  Since some
of it was wholly unexpected, I suspected that Sri Bhagavan's divine grace was again at work.

At first, my initial fears appeared to be justified.  When only ten days remained before the publication date,
I had still not managed to print more than a small part of the book. I temporarily lost my courage and rushed
off to the Asramam.

I prostrated before Sri Bhagavan, told him about the lack of progress and informed Him, 'Unless the help of
some other press is taken, the volume will not come out on the first of September.'

I then sat before Him, enjoying His darshan, waiting for His reply.

After a few moments of silence, He said in a low melodious tone, 'Do your work.'

These three simple words had a magical effect on me. They fired me with fresh vim and vigor and there arose
in my heart a strong belief that the volume would surely be out on the scheduled date.  I had received the orders
from Master.  I had simply to obey and 'do my work'. I had faith that all the other details would be looked after by Him.

I returned to Bangalore and told the story of my experience at Sri Ramanasramam to my co workers in the press.
All of them accepted Sri Bhagavan's order in the same spirit as I had done.  For the next few days all of us worked
day and night with full faith, zeal and enthusiasm.  The amount of work turned out in those last ten days was,
in retrospect, quite astonishing.  Then when three days remained till our deadline, a party of about ten devotees
came to my house on its way to the Asramam.  They were going to attend the golden jubilee celebrations.  Three
of them turned out to be expert book binders.  I immediately enlisted their aid and managed to compete the work
of the souvenir a day early.

Between 1945 and 1947, the Aruna Press printed all the publications of the Sri Ramanasramam.  The work was
complex and I often found myself having to argue with the official at Sri Ramanasramam who had been put in
charge of the publications there.  The tension between us increased to the point where both of us decided that
we should go to Sri Bhagavan to get our differences resolved.

contd,

(Compiled by David Godman, in his book 'The Power of The Presence', Book II).

Arunachala Siva.                 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:24:30 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: July 23, 2015, 02:53:55 PM »
Chhaganlal V. Yogi, Reminiscences /Story:

The rest interval between noon and 2.30 pm. was chosen for our meeting because we wanted to be alone with
Him.  We went to the Hall at noon and waited outside for Him to return from the lunch.  On His way back He
saw both of us waiting for Him.  Sensing that we had some business to discuss, He took His seat on the big stone
couch that stood outside the Hall, My friend immediately started to present his case of the dispute.  However, it
soon occurred to him that Sri Bhagavan was not comfortable sitting outside on this stone bench. He stopped in the
middle of his plea, folded his hands in a respectful way, and requested Sri Bhagavan inside the Hall. He said
that the business should be conducted with Sri Bhagavan comfortably seated on His sofa.

Sri Bhagavan dismissed the appeal with a smile, saying, 'What is wrong with this seat? Was there a soft bed
and a sofa when I was up there, (pointing to the Hill)?   Up there, the bare stones served as my bed as well as
my seat.'

It was clear that in our unseemly haste and our anxiety to plead our respective cases we had been responsible
for causing this discomfort to Him. Feeling very guilty about this, I felt very embarrassed when my friend's request
was turned down. In an anguished voice I begged Sri Bhagavan to follow that advice.

'No, Bhagavan, no.  That won't do,' I said. "It is our earnest prayer that you should not sit here in the hot sun. 
We will resume our talk only after you go into the Hall and sit comfortably on the sofa.'

This time, He accepted the advice.  Neither of us knew why He finally agreed after rejecting the first appeal. He got
up, went inside and, as requested, sat on the sofa.  Both of us then placed our cases before Him.  He quietly listened
to us and gave His verdict in the language of silence. Smiling with great charm he maintained complete silence both
during and after the presentation of the arguments.  The judgement was the possible one for both of us. Sri
Bhagavan's silence had healed the breach. As we emerged from the Hall, both of us had a spontaneous impulse
to embrace each other. In those few minutes our hearts had changed.  We separated with the resolve to bury the
past and treat each other in future with love and friendship.  The silken ties with which Sri Bhagavan bound us
on that day has never snapped agaiin.

Visions.

Sometimes in the life there is a clash between two competing obligations, especially if both seem to be equally
important.  At such times it is rather difficult to arrive at the right decision.  It has been my experience that at
such times our gracious Master leads us to the proper decision.  I will give an example from my own life.

At one time, I felt that my political duty as a Gandhian demanded that I should court arrest., but my domestic
duties bade me otherwise. As I was eager to go to jail as part of the Independence struggle, it pained me that,
out of regard for my family, I was not able to do so, I found myself in a dilemma and I could not of my own
accord see the way out.  The situation was so unbearable for me that I had to return to the Master for help
and relief. I therefore set our for Tiruvannamalai.

contd.,

(Compiled by David Godman, in his book, 'The Power of The Presence', Book II.)

Arunachala Siva.           
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:24:52 PM by Subramanian.R »