Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 201494 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #1050 on: June 24, 2015, 07:29:57 AM »

On 2nd April 1937, a very busy Polish journalist came for a few hours in the afternoon, within which time,
he expected to be shown the Truth in the clearest possible manner!

Polish:  I have read in your books that one should inquire into the nature of one's "I" in order to know the
Truth, which you call the Self. From biological science I have my own answer to the question of my identity.
What I wish to know is, who are you, you who speak of, and seem to have experienced, the Self?  If another
man confirms your statement, and so will a million, then there is the probability of the Self.

Bhagavan:  Have you no self yourself?  Are you then in the region of probabilities , even with regard to
your own self?

Polish:  Yes.  One cannot be sure of anything.  Even God cannot be proved with absolute certainty. 

Bhagavan:  Leave God alone for the present.  What of yourself?

Polish:  I want confirmation of the Self.

Bhagavan:  You want confirmation of yourself from others?  How do you know then you exist?

Polish:  By my senses.

Bhagavan:  "My" implies the "I", which owns the senses.  You take your existence for granted, at the
same time, ask others to prove it to you.  Similarly you admit the certainty of your senses, which see others,
whilst denying all certainty.  You see how you contradict yourself!  The fact is that there are no others.
There is no such a person as "You".  Each man, although addressed as "You", styles himself as "I".  Even the
confirmation you demand from others comes only from the "I".  "You" and "they" occur to the "I", without
which they are meaningless.

Polish:  If you are right, what becomes of progress and science?

Bhagavan:  Progress and science are meant only for the perceiving mind.  For whom is the progress if the
mind is absent, say, in deep sleep, or in a swoon?  The goal of all progress and science, you admit, is Truth,
which is the Pure Intelligence, the substratum Consciousness, form which the thinking mind sprouts, and into
which the same mind is ultimately dissolved, when you call "Perfection", to which science aspires to lead, is
attained.  This is what we call realization of the Self, that is, realization of the source of the mind.

(Source:  Guru Ramana, S.S. Cohen)

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: June 24, 2015, 08:02:10 AM »

Devaraja Mudaliar was a lawyer by profession.  He had a highly developed mind which railed against inconsistencies,
in any form. He also liked to have every detail accounted for it.

When Tamizh poets like Manikkavachagar and Tiru Jnana Sambandhar alluded to their renunciation in verse,
they would mention something like, my spirit, my body and my personal possessions.  (Manikkavachagar says
in Kuzhaitha Pathu, -- "Decade on Melting":  "Have you not taken away my spirit, my body and my possessions,
on the day you decided to rule over me, O the Hill, where is any deficiency in me? You do good or bad to me,
am I responsible for that?")

Devaraja Mudaliar asked Sri Bhagavan:  "In one of your verses, (Sri Arunachala Nava Manimalai, (Verse 7) you
have mentioned only spirit and body and not any personal possessions. Bhagavan! Why did you not mention personal possessions?"

Bhagavan Ramana replied:  "O Mudaliar-vaL, How can I mention anything that I did not have?"

Devaraja Mudaliar did not leave Him.  (What a relationship between a devotee and a Guru!)  He asked:
Bhagavan!  Do you then mean to say, that Manikkavachagar had some personal possessions?"

Bhagavan replied:  I did not have anything, so I did not mention. I don't know them!"

(Manikkavachagar says in another verse of Tiruvachakam, Kula Pathu, Verse 1, "Decade on Joyful Heckling.")
" O, only the codpiece and begging bowl are only my relations.  My only thinking is about Siva's anklet-wearing feet!"

(Source:  Devaraja Mudaliar's Reminiscences- Thaayum Neeye, Thanthaiyum Neeye)

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: June 24, 2015, 09:24:14 AM »
Kunju Swami Reminiscences:--

Though I had given up my Asramam duties, I found it hard to decide how exactly I should spend the entire day
in search of realization. I referred to the matter to Sri Bhagavan and He amplified the advice He had
already given me.

'Make self inquiry your final aim', He said, but also practice meditation, japa, and pranayama.  If you
find one method irksome or difficult, switch to one of the others.  In the course of time the sadhana
will become stabilized if self inquiry and will culminate in pure consciousness or realization.'

I left the Asramam early next morning and stayed in the room adjacent to the Vinayaka temple in Palakottu,
observing silence all the time. Sabapathy Pillai, the pujari of the Vinayaka temple, had a high regard for
sadhus and was devoted to their well being. He used to come from the town at 5.30 am. for Sri Bhagavan's
darshan. Afterwards, he would have his bath in Palakottu and perform the daily worship of the Vinayaka image,
offering cooked rice as naivedya. Later, he would take sambar from the Asramam, mix it with this rice and eat
it. In the evening he would collect flowers for the Big Temple, come for Sri Bhagavan's darshan, and then
return to the town.

On the first day of my stay at Palakottu, Sabapathy Pillai noticed that I was in mouna and that I had not taken
any food, so he gave me a portion of the naivedya. I happily ate it. He continued to share his food with me
in each of the succeeding days. Even while I had been staying in the Asrmam I had only eaten one meal a day.
I would just take lunch there and eat some fruit in the evening, if any was available. I did not therefore find
it difficult to live on one meal a day.

I soon established a new routine. In the mornings and evenings I would go to the Asramam and sit in the
presence of Sri Bhagavan. On my evening visit, I would join in the parayana. After one week had passed
in this way, a man called Puduppalayam Rangaswami Gounder came to the Asramam.

Sri Bhagavan asked him,' Why have you made this unexpected visit? Have you come to see your friend?
Sri Bhagavan was referring to me.

Gounder replied, 'I have not yet seen him, but I intend to go to see him soon.'

Then he added, 'Sri Bhagavan appeared to me in a dream last night and asked me, 'Why are you sleeping
like this when your friend is going without food?' So I left immediately and came here.'

Sri Bhagavan smiled and said, 'All right, go and see him after taking your meal.'

Gounder came to see me and as I was observing silence, he ascertained the details from Sabapathy Pillai
and knowing how precarious my position was, he gave Rs 25 to Sabapathy Pillai and asked him to look
after all my needs.

Arunachala Siva,.                               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: June 24, 2015, 10:16:10 AM »
Suri Nagamma Reminiscences:-

In June 1947, Mouni Srinivasa Rao suggested to Rajagopala Iyer and to me to request Sri Bhagavan to write
in Telugu, the 'Vichara Manimala' which He had already written in Tamizh. When asked Bhagavan said, 'Am
I a Pandit?  Why not write it yourself?  Why do you ask me to write and then say there are mistakes?'
Nevertheless at the pressing request of several others also He wrote the Telugu version. This time I let others
ask. Bhagavan wrote the whole thing in pencil and gave it to me to copy.  When I came to office with that
original, one of the office people took it away from me saying, 'You cannot copy it properly.  Give it to me.'
I reported the matter to Sri Bhagavan immediately.  He remarked those near him, 'What is this? As she
knows my handwriting well, I gave it to her to copy correctly. It seems they have taken it from her. I do not
know what alterations they will make and what will happen to it.' As I could do nothing in the matter
I kept quiet.

When I went there the next day, Bhagavan said, 'Look, it seems they will themselves will copy the whole of
Vichara Manimala and will send it to somebody for corrections.'  I could not contain my anger.'Oh! Is that so?'
I exclaimed and said, "Who is he to correct when Bhagavan has written? Is he a Valmiki or Vyasa?'  Bhagavan
remarked, 'Who knows?  Perhaps it should not be published without the permission of this Vyasa!'

After two days, the fair copy had still not come to Sri Bhagavan.  On the third day, when I went to the Hall
and sat down, Bhagavan said to Rajagopala Iyer who was by His side, 'I do not know how exactly they have
copied that Vichara Manimala. It will be good if they do not send it to the press before I see it again.'
With some trepidation Rajagopala said, 'Oh God! They will be angry with me if I tell them so.'  Looking at
everyone else Bhagavan said, 'It will be good if someone tells them.'  They all looked at one another but
no one got up, regardless of the consequences and asked Bhagavan if I might go and tell them.  'Yes,
it will be good,' said Bhagavan.

I went to the office and said, 'Bhagavan wants to see the Telugu Vichara Manimala before it is sent to the
press.'  I got angry reception, but I did not care. 'Bhagavan has asked me to tell you this and I have done
so. This is Bhagavan's order. It is for you to do as you like. I, for one, will not agree to any alterations or
corrections.'  So saying I returned to the Hall, and as the shouting was within Bhagavan's hearing, I merely
said, 'It is no use. This time Bhagavan must take some special interest.'

With that, I quickly sat down in my usual place. Later, by the Maharshi's grace, the Vichara Mani Mala was
printed without any alterations. Truth always succeeds, but for those who stick to it at all times, suffering is
unavoidable.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: June 25, 2015, 07:36:30 AM »

It was unusually cold winter and this particular day among the coldest.  Manavasi Ramaswamy Iyer
had two shirts made because he wanted Bhagavan Ramana to be warm with something more adequate
to protect from from the biting cold, than the usual loin cloth and the occasional cotton towel over His top. 

Lacking the courage to present them personally, he placed them on the stool in front of Bhagavan's sofa
while Bhagavan was taking a walk on the Hill.  Upon His return, Bhagavan saw them and questioned the
attendant.  Just then, Manavasi Ramaswami Iyer]put his appearance and murmured inaudibly.  "Bhagavan,
it was I who put them there.  It is very cold Bhagavan and ....."  But Bhagavan interrupted him, saying,
"Did I complain that it was cold?"

"No, Bhagavan, I took the initiative.  I thought Bhagavan should protect Himself."

But Bhagavan wouldn't hear of it.  "No, take them away."

Manavasi persisted and yet nothing would make Bhagavan accept them.  Finally with a tinge of frustration,
Bhagavan Ramana said, "I already wear five shirts", referring to the panchakosas.  Is the sixth one necessary?"

(Manavasi Ramaswami Iyer is famous for his Sarangati Song. Once when he had serious stomach problem and
could not eat anything excepting gruel, for months, Bhagavan Ramana made him to sit and have lunch with Him
in the Asramam.  His stomach pain disappeared once for all.  He wrote the famous Saranagati song.  Even today
this is sung at Ramana homes for getting justified wants fulfilled, through Ramana's Grace.)

(T.R.Kanakammal's Reminiscences.)

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 10:00:11 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: June 25, 2015, 10:11:11 AM »
Kunju Swami Reminiscences:-

Other Sadhus soon began to settle down in Palakottu.  Paul Brunton, Prajnananda, Munagala Venkataramaiah,
Viswantha Swami, Yogi Ramaiah, Muruganar Swami and Mouni Srinivasa Rao all built or moved into huts there.
Devotees from outside Tiruvannamalai would, after having Sri Bhagavan's darshan, often came to tranquil
Palakottu to see the Sadhus who lived there. Palakottu in those days was like Svargashram near Swami
Sivananda's ashram in Rishikesh. A place where Sadhus lived a simple life in close proximity to a neighboring
large Ashram.

After I had settled down in Palakottu, I got into the habit of going to Skandasramam early in the morning.
As I walked up the Hill, I would do parayana.I would have my morning bath there, and return about 7.30 am.
Since this was the time that Sri Bhagavan had His after-breakfast walk on the Hill, I was always able to have
a darshan on my return trip.

When Sri Bhagavan learned that I was doing continuous parayana while going to and from Skandasramam,
He said appreciatively, 'That alone is good.  Very appropriate. If you carry on like this, you will also be
relieved of the strain of walking.'  From that time, till now, while walking in the morning, I always do parayana.

One of the devotees who joined us in Palakottu was Ramanatha Brahmachari. He was the boy whom Sri Bhagavan
had looked after when the former had had bubonic plague.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: June 25, 2015, 10:36:14 AM »

Letters from Sri Ramanasramam was not ready for the Jayanti celebrations.  Later on, in July 1947, I
happened to go to Madras on some personal business and while returning after four days's stay,
there my brother told me that a dozen copies of the book were ready and that I should take them
with me to the Asramam and that the rest  would be sent to direct to the Asramam in due course
by the printers. I bought the advance copies on the morning of July 4th and placed them before Bhagavan.         

Whenever any book was received from the printers, Bhagavan  used to have it read out immediately. I thought
my book would receive it read out immediately.  I thought my book would receive the same treatment but
Bhagavan never mentioned anything about it. I was anxious to read it in His presence, so I approached Him
one day indicating my wish, but He merely said, 'Let all the copies be received. Then we shall see.'

I mentioned the matter to Chinnaswami once or twice, but He put me off on one pretext or other. Two weeks
passed by in this way. Meanwhile, a thousand copies of the book arrived from the press. The book received
very favorable reviews in the newspapers and orders for copies were already pouring from all directions.
It did not enter my head that envy and jealousy were growing among some of the inmates of the Asramam.
I was more than anxious to read the book in Bhagavan's presence. Chinnaswami agreed to my reading the
book in the Hall.  Bhagavan also agreed.

I read about half of the book in three days.  Bhagavan heard it with great interest and told us several other
matters also relating to the subject-matter of those letters.  Most people appreciated it.  On the third day,
I was asked to stop reading further by Chinnaswami.  Why Bhagavan asked me to read further, I told Him
about Chinnaswami's instructions. Bhagavan merely replied, 'Is that so?'

However, later, when Rajagopala Iyer went to Chinnaswami,he said that the reading was not prohibited
but only further writing of letters should be stopped and the letters written already should be surrendered.
However, the original letters had been taken away by my brother and I had only carbon copies.

Chinnaswami also told me to stop writing further and the library keys should also be surrendered to him.

Bhagavan on hearing this, said, 'Is that so? Never mind. Let that work go.'

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: June 25, 2015, 12:39:01 PM »

I felt that I should obey the orders of Chinnswami, in the matter of surrendering all the written letters.
I thought that Bhagavan should be shown these 'written letters' before the bundle is given to office.
Next morning I took the bundle and went to Bhagavan.  He was sitting leisurely with outstretched legs.
There was absolute quiet in the Hall.  I entered trembling all over, placed the bundle at the feet of
Bhagavan and with folded hands and with a shaky voice said, 'Here are the letters. I have been asked
to hand over them to the Asramam. It is not merely a bundle of letters. It is my heart's treasure.  Bhagavan
may do whatever He likes with them. I never did  the work for fame or wealth.'       

Tears rolled down my cheeks in abundance. Bhagavan looked at me with sympathy and received the bundle
with both His hands. He turned it over and giving it to Rajagopala Iyer remarked, 'Here it is. She has brought
all the letters duly bundled. Take them and give them to office.'

I sat down in my usual place. My sister in law who was with me then, tried to comfort me and told Bhagavan,
'From the time Nagamma began writing these letters she has not known what sleep is. She has been fully
absorbed in writing them.'  Bhagavan just nodded His head and remained silent. Returning from the office,
Rajagopala Iyer asked me for the originals.  I explained that my brother had taken them away to Madras
on his last visit. Bhagavan remained as observer and never spoke a word.

Since my library work had been taken away (she had been given the work of arranging the books in the library),
and I had been asked not to write letters, I did not feel like continuing the work of a volunteer either and so
gave it up.  No work of any sort remained for me to do and so there was no opportunity to speak to or seek
advice of Bhagavan.  After my sister in law went away, there was a feeling of emptiness everywhere.  Time
began to hang on heavily on my hands.  In a week or ten days I felt I was going mad. During the period,
I wrote to Chinta Dikshitulu about everything that had happened and gave him a puzzle to solve by writing
two lines of a Telugu verse and asking him to supply the remaining two lines. The verse ran as follows:

He is the strength for the weak
Should he not give the strength they seek?

He filled the remaining two lines thus:

Those who do not know themselves are weak
Those that know are meek.

After seeing the letter of Dikshitulu, I wrote nine verses under the head Vinnappamu (request) and placed
them at the lotus feet of Bhagavan. He saw them and quietly put them on the shelf but never said anything.
Later I wrote a song with great anguish under the title 'Arunadrivasa Sri Ramana' (Oh! Sri Ramana, the Dweller
of Arunachala).  It was an appeal to help me, but even that fetched no response from Him. I felt so depressed
that I wished I were dead.  In sheer desperation and with deep concentration, I sat up one afternoon in my
house and wrote another song with the refrain Palukava  okasri Ramana, (Won't you speak for once, Oh! Ramana.).

That day I completed the verse and went to the Asramam.  As I was coming near Him, Bhagavan said to those
by His side 'There you see; Nagamma is coming.'  As soon as I got up, after the usual salutations, He declared
'Look, someone has written this stotram and sent it.' So saying He gave me the paper and with a smile asked me
to read it.  After I finished reading it, He began telling me all that had happened in the last ten days as if He had tied     
the news up in a bundle which He was opening for my sake.  He went on like that for over an hour.  All were
surprised at the sudden change. I felt happy and contented.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: June 25, 2015, 01:24:08 PM »
Suri Nagamma Reminiscences - continues:

From then onward, He Himself used to call me and talk to me.  I showed Him the song I had composed namely,
'Palukava okasari Ramana' thinking that He did not know anything about it.  Laughing at me for my foolishness,
He said,'Yes I know. Keep it.' I felt ashamed of my stupidity.

One day before the happenings just related, I stood near Bhagavan while He was returning from behind the
Gosala.  Seeing me, He halted.  'All the work I had been doing has come to a sudden halt. I feel I am kept
away from Bhagavan. It appears as if the child is kept at a distance by the parent,' I said with great humility.
'It is you who is going away to a distance,'  replied Bhagavan.l  'It is Chinnaswami who has prohibited everything.
Is it not?' I said, 'Who knows who carried what tales to him?' answered Bhagavan, resuming His walk.  On hearing
that,my anger towards Chinnaswami subsided greatly.  I did not write any letter to my brother for nearly a month
after this. Hearing of it, Kunju Swami who was coming to me everyday said, 'Why do you give up writing letters?
You are writing to your own brother and so there is absolutely no need to stop it, whatever anybody might say.'
He went on, 'There are sufficient reasons for the Asramam authorities to ask you to stop writing. Sometime when
Brunton, Venkatarama Iyer and others wrote likewise, some others copied them and published the pieces under
their own name and made money. Hence there is something behind the whole business. You have no mercenary
intentions of that sort, is it not? Why then should you hesitate?  Even if for the time being it is banned, this
writing of letters, if resumed will be of great benefit to the future generation. Is it not a common experience
to be encountered in doing any good work?  Just because of these obstacles, you should not stop writing.'

Chinta Dishitulu had earlier written that elders say good work encounters several obstacles.  It should not
be abandoned just because of such obstacles.  You should not give up this good work and it will be a great
disservice to do so.

The most encouraging thing was that Bhagavan started to call me by name and telling me whatever had happened
ion the Hall in my absence.  Noticing this, Kunju Swamin, Muruganar and other close friends said:
'Is it not a great pity that you don't record these matters when Bhagavan tells you everything in such a great
detail?  He is doing so because He expects you to write down the whole thing.  Does He speak to any of us
in this manner?  It is definitely wrong on your part not to write it'. When they put it in such strong terms, it had
an immediate impact on me and I started writing again.  That was on September 3rd, 1947 and that was how
the writing of letters of Part III of my Letters from Ramanssramam began. 

As I had given up all other work I could concentrate on writing these letters and so I got an excellent opportunity
to gather the superb teachings of Bhagavan, which form a prominent feature of the series. In this time, Velluri
Sivarama Sastri and his first cousin Sriramamuthy came for Bhagavan's darshan and they met me in my house.
On listening from me all that happened they read a few of Part III letters and said: 'Whatever be the obstacles
and whatever be the trials and tribulations, please do not give up this work. This is nothing other than a mission
inspired by Bhagavan, why have any doubts?'

Greatly encouraged by their words, I began to write uninterruptedly.  Off and on, Chinnaswami used to ask
me whether I was still writing letters. I used to reply in the negative.  i was however guilty about telling him
a lie.  I approached once or twice Bhagavan and said, 'I have written down all that you had mentioned yesterday.
I would like to know where exactly the sloka you referred to is.' Bhagavan used to take that book and told me
elaborately about that and thus I was assured indirectly that my writing these letters had His knowledge and
approval. Even then once I asked Him, 'I have written all these and would you like to go through them?'
He said, 'Let them remain with you.'

Once earlier Chinnaswami had taken up the kitchen work as the cooks were not available and that time,
he looked at me and said, 'See. Some people are saying that women are writing letters and men are
doing kitchen work.' I asked him, 'Swami, in that case can I do the heavy cooking work here?' He replied
''You cook for yourself a small quantity of wheat meal, drink a glass of milk and manage with that sattvic
food. So how can I say that you are strong enough to manage regular cooking in the Asramam? All I say
is, give up this writing work and do some meditation instead.' I pretended to agree but actually never
gave up my writing work. 

I felt tired one day and wished someone would help me in the writing work. I went to Bhagavan and sat
before Him.  He proceeded to tell the story of the sparrow and Garuda and incidentally remarked, 'People
who do good work and have a mind to do self inquiry never give up their work, although they feel it to be
a burden. As in the case of the sparrow in the story, help comes from somewhere, just as Garuda came
to help that sparrow.  By God's grace, help comes of its own accord.' This very timely message came to me
unexpectedly and cheered me up considerably.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 01:43:56 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: June 25, 2015, 01:59:02 PM »
Suri Nagamma's Reminiscences - continues....

Every now and then, people from the Asramam office used to inquire if I was still writing letters and I used to
say 'No' I was, however, feeling guilty because it was not true.  I wondered why I should continuously have
to tell a lie and why I should write letters in that adverse atmosphere; also if I should not give up the work
altogether.  With these doubts and fears worrying me, I went up to Bhagavan one day only to find Him relating
incidents of His childhood days. 'I too told a lie to my aunt on that day I left Madurai', said Bhagavan.  He added,
'It is not we that speak the lie.  Some force makes us do so. Even Sankara took to sannyasa only by telling a lie.'
In this way Bhagavan cleared all my doubts concerning the letters.  One more thing is worth mentioning. To
find out if I was still writing letters some people used to come to my residence at odd times but it happened
that whenever they came, I had with me only copies of the old letters.  When they asked if I was still writing
letters I would tell them that i was merely correcting the old ones.  Some believed me but those who did not,
whispered in the ears of Chinnaswami. What could the Swami do?  When he inquired, I invariably said I               .
was not writing anything.  If he speaks harshly about it, tears would well up in my eyes and roll down my cheeks.
This would make his heart melt and he would say, 'Go, go and meditate. Why all this botheration for you?'
I would say, 'Yes, yes', but all the same I never gave up my writing work.

concluded.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: June 26, 2015, 07:26:03 AM »

Bhagavan Ramana has said to some new visitors, who were asking about His biography, to read the
Sri Ramana Ashottaram rendered by Sri Viswanatha Swami.  It covers His place of birth, His gothra,
His father's name, His living in Madurai, His Atma Jnana Udayam  in Madurai, His reaching Arunachala,
His stay in Virupaksha Cave and Skandasramam, His works like Upadesa Saram, Sad Darsanam, Arunachala Stuti Panchakam, Sri Ramana Gita etc., and about Ganapati Muni's love and respect for Him. It also speaks about Matrumukti, Mother
Azhagamma's Mukti, and finally ends as "Om Sri Purushottamaya Namah."  There are implicit references about His

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: June 26, 2015, 07:30:00 AM »

In Tiruvannamalai, after Bhagavan Ramana's Maha Nirvana, many people thought there was nothing else
to do with the absence of Ramana in body, so they packed off.  Soon, in one or two years, their minds starting
playing all sorts of mischief and they found themselves like a ball falling down the stair case!  Quick fall from
all the sadhana done earlier in a year's time.  They all soon came back, back to His lap, His Sannidhi, His Presence,
which is glowing with more effulgence than even before.  They got their peace of minds and continued their sadhana. 
Devotees like Osborne, Lucy Osborne, Chadwick, Viswanathaswami, Kunju Swami and Annamalai Swami
had stood to their grounds and they had gained the uninterrupted flow of Bhagavan Ramana's grace.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: June 26, 2015, 09:29:03 AM »
Kunju Swami Reminiscences:-

Ramanatha Brahmachari was a tireless worker, and in addition to being a devotee of Sri Bhagavan, he was
also a follower of Mahatma Gandhi.  Of his own accord, he would clean all our huts in Palakottu.  In the
evening he would prepare the wicks, pour oil and light the lamps.  He was always looking for odd jobs to do.

In those days, we were all quite young and thought that we were great ascetics.  We would not bother to
sweep our rooms in Palakottu, nor care to light the lamps. If there was no fuel, we might even skip our
meals. But Ramanatha Brahmachari would take care of all these chores whether we asked him to or not.

Once, when we were all sitting in front of Sri Bhagavan, a letter was received from Ekanatha Rao. He
had made inquiries about the 'Sarvadhikari of Palakottu.'  When Sri Bhagavan read that, He inquired,
'Who is this?  I don't know anything about this.' I got up and nervously pointed to Ramanatha Brahmachari.
'We call him Sarvadhikari of Palakottu.  He buys our things, cleans our lamps, sweeps our floors. So we
call him the Palakottu Sarvadhikari.

Sri Bhagavan said, 'Why didn't you tell me about this? With a Sarvadhikari like this, everyone should be happy.'
Ramanatha Brahmachari got up very shyly and said,  'I don't know, Bhagavan.  They gave me that name as a
joke.'

'What is so funny about it? 'asked Sri Bhagavan. 'It is a good name.'

Years later, when news came to the Asramam that Ramanatha Brahmachari had passed away in Madras,
Sri Bhagavan remarked, 'Look!  These verses, Ramana Anubhuti, were written by Ramanatha Brahmachari
himself.  Another song with the refrain Tiruchuzhi Nathanai Kandane' was also written by him.  It is an
interesting story.'

Ramanatha Brahmachari had after his lecture during the giri pradakshina summarized the points of the
lecture into a song of four verses entitled Tiruchuzhi Nathanai Kandane.' 

Part of this song reads:-

I have seen the Lord of Tiruchuzhi and, unable to turn back, I stood there transfixed.  He is the Lord who
dances in Chidambaram, protects the helpless and is merciful to them.  The same Lord of Tiruchuzhi manifests
himself as God in Virupaksha Cave on the Hill in sacred Tiruvannamalai.... He is the Lord of Tiruchuzhi.  I saw
Him and stood there, unable to move.

Arunachala Siva.             
'     
i         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: June 26, 2015, 09:46:04 AM »

There is a saying among us that if the person serving food is your man, it does not matter even if you sit
in the last row.  In the place reserved in the Old Hall for ladies, some used to spread their asanas in front
without leaving room for late comers like me.  Hence, I used to sit somewhere behind squeezing myself   
in any available space.  Whenever any Telugu papers were received or anyone asked a question in Telugu,
Bhagavan would lift His head and look for me and ask, 'Where is Nagamma?' Someone would mention to me
that Bhagavan was calling me, and then, I used to go to the front row.  On such occasions the other ladies
had no choice but to make room for me.  Seeing all the trouble and inconvenience it caused, Satyananda,
one of Sri Bhagavan's attendants asked why I should not always sit in the front row.  Bhagavan immediately
remarked with a smile, 'Don't you see? All that is reserved beforehand.' Those present at that time laughed.
Whenever somebody  went out after spreading his asana, Bhagavan would smile and say, 'See that, his seat
is reserved.'

Once I was sitting absent mindedly at the window in the far end of the Hall, gazing at Arunachala. Bhagavan
casually looked that way. Sooramma, a devotee from Kalahasti who had been here for sometime said to me,
' I do not know why but Bhagavan is looking over here.' I got up and went to Bhagavan.  He gave me a Stotram
which had been received. I read it through and copied it.  Later, Sooramma gently chided me saying, 'We ought
to be the ones to eagerly wait for what Bhagavan is going to do or say and not the other way round. Does not
your sitting away at a distance amount to discourtesy to the Guru?'  Taking notice of her motherly advice,
from that day onward,  I was doubly careful and attentive.  A few days later, while talking to monkeys,
Bhagavan said, Look at the monkey. If one monkey so much as winks at the others, all of them immediately
gather around it.  That is why in the language of Vedanta lakshya drishti, i.e. attentiveness, is compared to
the look of the monkey.  The moment the Guru looks at the sishya, the sishya must comprehend the meaning
of the look.  If that is not done, will the sishya derive any benefit?' From them onward I was more attentive
than ever.

Arunachala Siva.     

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 07:40:17 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: June 27, 2015, 07:39:50 AM »

It was the time of Ramana Jayanti in the Asramam.  Devaraja Mudaliar desired that the members of his family
to join him at the Asramam, to receive Bhagavan's grace on this special occasion. He sent them a post card
intimating his wish.  Prompt came the reply expressing helplessness due to a scarcity of funds for travel etc.,
Mudaliar solved the problem this way:  Break the family Hundi of funds, (Hundi = a small box kept for placing
savings which is intended for God's purpose like pilgrimage etc., ) containing the offerings to the family deity, Venkataramana of Tirupati and use the funds to finance the pilgrimage to the Asramam.

After implementing his plan, he went straight to Bhagavan Ramana and confided the nature of the correspondence between he and his family.  Bhagavan Ramana neither approved nor disapproved.  He appeared to have no reaction
at all!  There was not even the usual nod of the head but He merely maintained His customary silence.

On arrival of the family, all were duly introduced to Bhagavan. Then Mudaliar said:  "Bhagavan, as for me, between Tirupati Venkataramana and Tiruvannamalai Venkataraman, there is absolutely no difference."

Bhagavan replied with a smile:

"And did you not amply prove it by breaking the hundi?"

(Source: T.R. Kanakammal's article in MP April-June 2007)

Arunachala Siva.