Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 201468 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #1005 on: June 12, 2015, 09:50:30 AM »
Akhilandamma - An early devotee of Sri Bhagavan:-

She writes:-

In 1903, I visited Tiruvannamalai.  While I was wandering nae the Hill with the object of gathering flowers,
I saw many people walking in a crowd towards Banyan Tree Cave, then known as Sadguru Swami Cave.

I inquired of them, 'Where are you going? What is so special there?'

One of the crowd told me,'There is one Brahmana Swami there.  He is only a small child but he sits motionless,
without taking food or water.'

These words surprised me, but also kindled in me a desire to see him. Perhaps it was through these brief
words that the grace of Bhagavan ensnared me.

My first thought was, 'Can I take him something to eat?  They say he is a Brahmana Swami,i.e.Brahmin Swami.
If I take any kind of food he may not eat it.'

After thinking the matter over I bought a little sugar candy as a token offering and then went to see him.

What a sight he was!  For the first time I saw the magnetic Lord who draws towards him the minds of those
who see him.  Even though he was unwashed and covered with dust, his holy body glowed like gold.  On
seeing this ascetic sannyasi, with a frame so lean that it exposed his bones, my mind melted and tears welled
up within me. The young Lord then opened his eyes and graciously directed them towards me.  I approached,
placed the sugar candy near him and prostrated. After Bhagavan had taken a piece and eaten it, a Sadhu
who was nearby returned some of it to me as Prasad.

On seeing the condition of Bhagavan's body I was both struck with awe and overcome with grief.  These
emotional reactions were so strong, I was unable to speak.

(David Godman. The Power of the Presence -Part I)

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: June 12, 2015, 10:54:41 AM »
Akhilandamma -

.... I then asked some people who were standing there, 'Will Swami take some food I bring it?'

I received a positive reply.  From that time on I became a regular visitor.  Each time I came I would bring
fruits, place them before him and do namaskaram.

After this visit I returned to Desur. Bhagavan at that time was not living permanently in one place.  He would
mostly stay in Virupaksha Cave, but in the summer months He would move to one of the adjoining caves,
such as Mango Tree Cave or Sadguru Swami Cave. When I came for darshan again, Bhagavan was sitting inside
the Virupaksha Cave,facing south.  In those days Pazhaniswami was the fortunate sadhu who attended to
Bhagavan's needs.  He stayed with Him night and day and served Him His food.  On this particular day, he was
also sitting in the Cave, facing east.

I slowly made my way inside the cave, placed some milk near Bhagavan as an offering, and then came outside
and stood in a shady place.  On seeing Bhagavan again my mind had flowed towards Him with uninterrupted
boundless love, but along with this emotion there had been a sort of inexpressible regard and fear.  It is only
natural for people to feel a sense of awe and reverence while they are near Bhagavan. It is also natural for
the individual self to subside in His presence.  There was a gracious power that prevailed in that holy place.
It numbed the mind, the power of speech and the body so effectively, visitors were automatically silenced.
There were no rules about silence, but in that holy presence casual visitors who had come for darshan would
automatically remain calm and quiet.

After I had waited outside for sometime, Pazhaniswami came out.  There was some milk remaining in the vessel,
and it was given to me as Bhagavan's prasad. I took it and returned home greatly delighted.  From that day
on, this poor lady had the good fortune of getting Bhagavan's prasad for many years.

(David Godman, The Power of the Presence, Part I)

Arunachala Siva.               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: June 12, 2015, 04:56:41 PM »
Kunju Swami writes :

Once, while going on a pilgrimage, I visited various maths before ending up at Peraiyur Santhalinga Math.  At
that time, Veerasubbia Swamigal was resting there because he was not well. When I went and had his darshan,
he made kind inquiries about the welfare of Sri Bhagavan and the Asramam in general.  He also looked into the
note book I had with me.  Seeing in it the verses of Ulladu Narpadu written beautifully by Sri Bhagavan Himself,
he asked me to read them out to him. He appreciated the first benedictory verse so much, he asked me to read
it three times.

After the reading he remarked 'This is a very profound verse.Not only that, all the elegant features of prosody
are in it.  Until now, I was under the impression that your Swami was an adept only 'in keeping still', but now
I discover that He is also a superb writer of fine poetry. The venba is itself a difficult meter that few poets dare
attempt.  Bhagavan has composed all forty two verses and used them to convey the most abstruse philosophical
ideas.  Crowing them all, though, is this first invocatory verse:

If the Reality did not exist, could there exist the consciousness 'am'?  Since Reality exists in the Heart,
devoid of thought, how can one meditate upon that Reality whose name is Heart.  Abiding in the Heart as
it is alone is meditation.

'I myself' continued, Veerasubbia Swamigal, 'possess the attainment of Sastra Samadhi.  When I start reading
or writing books, I am so completely immersed in them, I will not even be aware of hunger, thirst, or even the\
passage of time. Only when someone comes and reminds me will I get up and complete my daily duties.
Now that the doctor has asked me to take a complete rest, I find it extremely difficult to keep quiet without
engaging in reading and writing.  Since you are here, please read out to me the works of Sri Bhagavan.'

I read out Sri Bhagavan's written works,which I had copied in my notebook, and he very much enjoyed
listening to them.

He told the other Sadhus in the math, 'Because Sri Bhagavan left school at sixteen, and did not take lessons
in Vedanta from any guru, some people think that He does not know any Vedanta.  But the greatness of
the Vedantic tradition and the depth of Sri Bhagavan's experience of it are clearly to be found in these works.'

On my return to the Asramam, I told Sri Bhagavan about the conversations.

Sri Bhagavan heard my story and remarked, 'Veerasubbia Swamigal is a great scholar. He has translated
the Hindi Atma Purana into Tamizh and written a commentary on Jnana Vasishtam. He is also the head of
all Vedantins of Kovilur Math. 

Sri Bhagavan also said how Veerasubbia Swamigal and other heads who came to meet Him in Virupaksha
Cave wanted Him to explain various samadhis and how He explained to them the six types of samadhis
and how, through  strength of practice, Sahaja Nirvikalpa Samadhi could be attained.

(The Power of the Presence, Part II)

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: June 13, 2015, 09:25:51 AM »
Sri Bhagavan once commented on His own experience of the Sahja state of Samadhi, after a concert that
had been arranged by Rao Bahadur Veerappa Chettiar, a hereditary trustee of the Arunachaleswara Temple.
Every year, during the annual Kartigai festival, he arranged concerts in the temple by famous musicians.
Some of them would also perform in the Asramam.  On one such occasion Ariyakkudi Ramanuja Iyengar gave\
a music concert accompanied by Pudukkottai Dakshinamurthy Pillai and Sundaram Iyer.  The concert lasted
from 3 pm to 7 pm.  Sri Bhagavan, who usually went out at 5.30 pm stayed for the whole performance.
Both the performers and the listeners totally forgot themselves in the joy of being and performing in Sri
Bhagavan's presence.  At the end of the concert, when the performers came out of the Hall after prostrating
to Sri Bhagavan, Kumbakonam Iyengar Swami gave the tambulam and put sandal paste on them with his
own hands. All this was to show his appreciation of the performers, Sri Bhagavan, who was observing all
this through the window, was delighted by Iyengar Swami's enthusiasm.  The artists and the other visitors
who returned to town in a state of great satisfaction.

Later, when we are all resting after finishing our supper, a devotee said to Sri Bhagavan,'Today's concert
was superb. We even forgot where we were. I wonder what it was like for Sri Bhagavan?'

Sri Bhagavan answered 'I was only aware of their coming, their prostrations to me and the beginning of
their performance.  After that, the next thing I remember is their getting up at the end of the concert.
The person within me consumes everything. Who then can do the listening?'

From this remark, it is clear that Sri Bhagavan Himself is a living testimony to His earlier comment about
one who is in Sahaja Nirvikalpa Samadhi:  Though he sees, he does not see; though he hears, he does
not hear; though he acts he does not act.

Kunju Swami's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: June 13, 2015, 09:37:18 AM »

Once a devotee of Bhagavan approached Seshadri Swami for Upadesa.

Seshadri Swami told him: "Jnana....Jnana... What does it mean? Jnana is that which remains after rejecting,
one by one, by inquiry, whatever is transient.  That alone is Reality, God - Lord - I - You -- all these are only
That.   It is madness to wander here and there thinking that Jnana can be attained only if we go to a
mountain or to a cave."

In speaking like this, he not taught Brahma Vidya succinctly and tersely, he also clarified that Sannyasa
was not indispensable for attaining Jnana.

When Bhagavan Ramana heard about this teaching, He marveled by saying: "Ah!  How clearly Seshadri
has taught Brahma Vidya!

Are they calling such a great being a madman?  Strange indeed are the ways of the world!"

From, this it is clear that just as Seshadri Swami knew Bhagavan and His state,  Bhagavan too knew
Seshadri Swami very well.

(Smt. Akhilandamma is one among the many devotees who visited
Seshadri Swami, at frequent intervals.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: June 13, 2015, 09:49:56 AM »
Ati Varnasrmam is not for all:-

Bhagavan Ramana was an Ati-Varnasrami, the one even beyond the four normal asramas, stages of life,
viz., celibacy, householder-life, jungle-dweller and an ascetic.  He has Himself said this in the Commission
inquiry done in the Asramam, at the time of Perumal Swami's case.  He has also said Jatabharata and Sukha
were of these types and this has got sastraic approval.

An ati-varnasrami is one who abides in the Self permanently, during his life time and he need not observe
any dharmas of even a Sannyasi, like tonsuring the head, wearing ochre robe, holding a staff on hand etc., etc.,
But Bhagavan Ramana did observe some of these stipulations.  He wore a white codpiece, but had tonsure on
the full moon day every month, but did not have a staff. He had to use a walking stick during His later years.

But He was particular that devotees should observe the asrama codes strictly according to sastras.  Once,
Jagadeeswara Sastri's son was studying in Madurai Vedapatasala.  He had come for Bhagavan's darshan
during holidays.  He was having a flowing hair ( a la M.K.Tyagaraja Bhagavatar of cinema fame those days)
and a muslin jubba.  Bhagavan Ramana saw him and said:  Oh, I thought you are someone else.  Oh, how nice
is your long hair and muslin jubba!  Who will believe that you are the son of Jagadeeswara Sastri, a Vedic brahmin,
with great scholarship?.. He spoke with sarcasm.

The son of Sastri went away and came next morning with a neatly made tuft of hair and a upper cloth as
stipulated for Vedapatasala students!

Once He saw G.V. Subbaramayya's girl having two plaits of hair-do. He told her:  "Oh, it is nice.  Why not you
have two more plaits in front also?" After hearing this, the girl became shy and Suri Nagamma called her to her
side and neatly plaited the hairs with a single plait and fixed nice flowers too.  Bhagavan observed:
"Now, it is nice, as per Hindu customs!"

Bhagavan Ramana was above caste and caste differences.  But He observed them inside the Asramam as per
the customs of Sanatana dharma.  There were two rows for food in which Brahmins and non-Brahmins sat for
lunch and dinner and Bhagavan Ramana used to sit facing both the rows diagonally at the mid point.
Once Viswanatha Swami's brother, who had been to jail in connection with freedom struggle came to see Bhagavan.  Typically Gandhian, he wanted to sit with non-brahmins.  Bhagavan Ramana called him and said:  "O, you want to
break the customs because you are above caste!  But would you do it at your home?  Sitting deliberately in the
other row, is also  symbolic recognition of casteism, don't you understand even this?"  Viswanatha Swami's
brother quietly came back to the brahmins's row for taking lunch!

Once Kanchi Mahaswami had come to Tiruvannamalai.  Every one went to the gate to see him coming on
a procession.  No one excepting Bhagavan Ramana and Suri Nagamma stayed inside the Hall.  Bhagavan Ramana
looked at Suri Nagamma in all compassion, asking (without speaking) the reason.  Suri Nagamma said that she
was a widow without head tonsure, and Kanchi Mahaswami would not see such people as per customs.
Bhagavan Ramana said:  "Hmm.... He is following the dharma of his seat as Head of Math. If I were to be in his place, I would also observe this.  Anyway it does not matter."   Bhagavan Ramana looked at Suri Nagamma one more time, in abundant compassion, as if to give her reassurance that nothing had been lost.

(Source:  Ramana Manam, Ra. Ganapati's Tamizh book on Bhagavan Ramana, Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:08:03 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: June 13, 2015, 01:16:07 PM »

T.R. Kanakammal's reminscences....

"I would observe that devotees like Devaraja Mudaliar, G.V. Subbaramayya, Sambasiva Rao and others
are so free with Bhagavan and why not me too?"  In those days, Bhagavan was sitting in the Jubilee Hall,
(a large shamiana on the sides of Mother's Temple, presumably at the present Samadhi Hall), I used to quickly
move from Old Hall and muster enough courage to ask some questions to Him.  But the moment I turned
into the Jubilee Hall,  all my courage would evaporate.  I would almost feel that something tangibly dropping
away from me.  I told Ananadammal about it.  She said, next day, when we go for pradakshina, I shall
come with you.  You may ask any question to Bhagavan.   Next morning, we went to take Bhagavan's permission
for pradakshina at around 5 am.  Mustering enough courage, I could only say:

"Bhagavan!  I am going for pradakshina." 

I could not say anything else!

Bhagavan said:  "Uh, what?"  I then realized that although I had requested permission to go for pradakshina,
no words came out of my mouth!   Bhagavan understood and said: "Oh, you are going for pradakshina?
Who is accompanying you?"  Anandammal had to say:  "I am accompanying her."  Bhagavan Ramana
then said: "Very Good! Very Good!"

It is not only me.  Several prominent personalities have not been able to put their questions across to Bhagavan.
There will be a remarkable transformation in their behavior from tiger to kitten!  Without being told, they would automatically fold their hands and stand bowed in respect before Bhagavan.

Bhagavan's spiritual force emanating from the sofa and radiating everywhere, subdued the ego even as they
enter His Presence.  Everyone had to remove their egos and leave them outside as it were, and sit quietly before Him.

Another thing about Bhagavan was that His look would never vary irrespective of whether the person is a
long-standing devotee or someone visiting casually for the first time.  It is we who interpret His looks according
to our own state of mind.

(Source:  Arunachala's Ramana, Volume 6.  Sri Ramanasramam)

Arunachala Siva,
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 05:36:28 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: June 13, 2015, 05:40:10 PM »

Bhagavan did not discourage any political activity, but said that unless one knows one Self, how can he
attempt any other work?  Knowing one's own Self is of paramount importance.  Despite, this some devotees
took up some mild level political activities. e.g. Ramanatha Brahmachari.  He went for the Salt March to
Vedaranyam and came back successfully with a packet of salt. Bhagavan Ramana smiled at him and said:
Give to the kitchen.

Some attendant also went to Madras to see Mahatma Gandhi.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: June 14, 2015, 07:49:02 AM »
Sadhu Natanananda - A close devotee of Sri Bhagavan:

Sadhu Natananda has written a poem titled Tiru AruL Selvam, the Wealth of Divine Grace. I am not able
to readily get the Tamizh original.  Perhaps it is not published by Sri Ramanasramam.  David Godman has
made a translation in prose of this poem and it is given in his Tr. and Commentary of Sri Ramana Darsanam.

This long poem of 108 couplets (like Sri Arunachala Akshara Mana Malai of Bhagavan Ramana) describes
the devotee's inability to overcome his spiritual defects and after about 50 verses of such lamenting, he begins
to change the tone of the poem where he is thanking Bhagavan Ramana for having given him the grace to
realize the Self. I give a few couplets as translated by David Godman, in his book Sri Ramana Darsanam.

Invocation:-

In order to describe the greatness of the wealth of divine grace, we bow to the feet of our father Ramana,
which banish inner darkness.

The Poem:-

1. For the wealth of divine grace to flourish there is no other means than remaining close to the feet of Guru
Ramana.

2. Even if one searches in the three worlds, it is extremely difficult to see a Sadguru such as Jnani Ramana.

3. For dog-like me, will the day ever come on which I can settle down beneath your feet, which are full of
ambrosia and which delight devotees?

9. When I languished thinking, 'When will the day of my redemption come? you blessed me, saying, 'Even after
coming to me, why doubt that you will get redeemed?'

10.  Though I had the fortune of blessings from your divine tongue, which is full of love, I am yet to be rid of
my the burden of infatuation, which is full of misery.

15. In the same way, O God! that one chases away an illusory ghost by chanting a mantra, would it be difficult
for you to destroy the mind, which is ignorance, by utilizing your grace.

25. I have only learned to give detailed explanations of the truth of Vedanta, but I have not learned to reach
the state of Mauna, which is Nadanta.*  (* Saiva Siddantis call the silence, as end of sound, Nada+anta).

36.  Experiencing my prarabdha, getting tired, and going to sleep -this will not yield the supreme resplendent state, beyond the three voids.*

(* Three Voids again is Saiva Siddhanta expression called Muppazh, viz., jiva, Iswara and the Jagat.)

56.  I jumped into the ruined well, family life, but He (Bhagavan) lifted me out and freed me, from misery.
He completely saved me.

60. You declared that to be humble, to become as tiny as an atom, is extremely great.  In this way, you kept me
under the shade of your feet, making me, a contemptible person, humble.

68. Losing self-awareness, I was chained in the body by the vile senses.  I was liberated by consciousness that
manifested in my Heart, as the soul of my soul.

80. To me, eye of Jnana, which has seen the truth, the Self appears everywhere.  The illusory objects perceived
by the senses, which I saw when I was deluded, no longer appears. 

91. By redeeming helpless ones such as me, He became foremost among saviors, with none to equal Him.

101. Becoming the Heart-Space where my Lord dances, I remained permanently sunk in the ocean of bliss.

107. By explaining the good fortune that comes from the cool but powerful grace of Sri Ramana, this work
will give wondrous joy.

108. Those virtuous ones who cherish this work, which gives wondrous joy, will forever shine as the crown-jewels
among great renunciates.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: June 14, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »
Sri Bhagavan and Pazhaniswami:-

At that time, Pazhaniswami was very ill. He was left behind in Virupaksha Cave. On one of these occasions,
I went to serve food to Bhagavan.  I placed the rice, sambar and rasam I had brought outside the Cave.  I then
peeped inside, but Bhagavan was not to be seen.  Pazhaniswami, who was lying by himself in the Cave,
called me inside.  I went to him and told him that I had brought bhiksha for Bhagavan.

He replied,'Bhagavan has gone up to Skandasramam, but He will return soon because I am not in good health.
Bhagavan thinks that there is no one here to attend on me,so He will soon come back and see me.'

On hearing this, I thought abut Bhagavan, and in particular I thought about how He had made me do service
to devotees.  I realized that it was my duty to stay with Pazhaniswami. I quickly began to prepare hot water
for him so that he could take a bath.  Bhagavan returned from Skandasramam just as I was finishing this
job.  I bowed to Him and then stood aside.  Bhagavan went straight to Pazhaniswami and inquired about his
health.

Pazhaniswami merely replied, 'I will take my bath now'.

I then explained to Bhagavan that  I had been preparing the hot water in His absence, and that it was now readu.

Bhagavan indicated His pleasure, by saying, 'Very good!'

Turning to the others, He said, 'Every one is waiting hungrily. Let us eat food soon.'

Pazhaniswami then said - 'I wish to have some solid food.'

But Bhagavan told him, 'You must take only gruel.'

Pazhaniswami replied, 'The rasam prepared by Desuramma (nick name of Akhilandamma) will be nice.
I will dilute the rice with it and eat it.'

Then Pazhaniswami called me aside and said, 'Prepare rasam with pepper, chutney with horsegram and feed
them to Bhagavan.'

I followed his instructions and served the food to all the people there except Pazhaniswami. Every one, including
Bhagavan ate it.

For Pazhaniswami, I merely gave cooked rice diluted with rasam. He ate it and seemed satisfied with it.  However,
he never ate again and about a week later, he died.  Perhaps it is Bhagavan's grace that he took his last food
from the hands of this lady.

(Akhilandamma Reminiscences.)

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: June 14, 2015, 09:58:14 AM »
When Bhagavan first moved to Skandasramam (Mother came to live with Him later), no cooking was done there.
Bhagavan and the devotees who were living there used to live on the food offerings that were brought every day.
Whatever food came was equally divided and served to all.  On one occasion during this period Kamakshi Ammal
and myself went there with some food. On that day five or six heads of maths had unexpectedly come to
Skandasramam to have Bhagavan's darshan. Since we had not known about this, in advance, we were not able
to prepare food for them.

When it was time to eat, a devotee approached Bhagavan and said, 'They are all waiting.  May we take food?'

Bhagavan who knew that there was not enough food for everyone, replied, 'Let us wait for a while.'

Sometime later, a group of people unexpectedly came, bringing with them big vessels full of food.  After
saluting Bhagavan they offered the food to Him.  Bhagavan asked them to first serve the food to everyone
who was present. Only then did He stand up to indicate that He was ready to eat.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: June 14, 2015, 11:17:05 AM »
In Skandasramam days the good fortune of taking food with Bhagavan was equally available to birds, animals
and human devotees.  Bhagavan never distinguished between His human and animal devotees. The  same
compassion was available for all. At times it would seem as if His animal devotees were even more fortunate
than His human ones. Lakshmi, the Cow, Valli, the deer, Jackie, the dog and the monkey called Nondi Paiyan
- the lame boy are apt examples of this.

When Bhagavan first moved to Skandasramam the lame boy used to come and eat with us.  Although he was
given a separate leaf plate, he usually preferred to help himself to the rice from Bhagavan's own leaf. How
lucky he was! None of the human devotees ever had the opportunity to share Bhagavan's meal like this.

On one occasion, Bhagavan and the devotees were sitting in a line, waiting for food to be served.The lame
boy was seated nearby.  After serving Bhagavan, but before I could serve the others, the lame boy took
some handfuls of rice from Bhagavan's plate and ate them. Bhagavan only used to take a small quantity
of rice, but He was quite happy to share that small amount with the monkey.  When I placed some more rice
on Bhagavan's leaf to replace the amount that the monkey had taken, the monkey grunted at me in a slightly
aggressive manner.

Bhagavan at once turned to him and chided him, 'Adey! Adey! She is one of our people.'

Then it kept quiet. What a perfect sense of equality resounds in those words!

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: June 15, 2015, 09:46:26 AM »
Sometime in the spring of 1947,an office order was issued saying that as Bhagavan's health was not good, no
one should engage Him in unnecessary conversation.  On that early morning, I went and prostrated to Bhagaavan
at about 2 pm. and then sat. Bhagavan was reading Periya Puranam and seeing me, He said with enthusiasm,
'Look, this is Sundarmurthi's story, that is Sambandhar's; this is Manikkavachagar's, that is Appar's' and proceeded
to tell me all these stories.

Only when the evening stroll time approached, He stood up and looked at the attendant and said, 'Oh, it is time
to go eh?" and went out.

A Tamizh pandit,who is also a poet came to me after Bhagavan had left and said, 'Nayana has already written in
Chatvarimsat - Suri sabha guruna. That was because he knew that sometime later, Suri Nagamma would come and
there would be her sabha here.Today the whole sabha (assemblage) is Nagamma's only.'

I was taken aback at this and said, 'What have I got to do with the matter?  It was Bhagavan who spoke.'

'That is not it. This is definitely a Sabha of Suri Nagamma,' he repeated and went away. Troubled at what he said,
I mentioned it to a friend, who consoled me by saying, 'Why worry?  What he said is good.  Suri family means a
Pandit family. Ganapati Muni has written 'Ganaran mukha - Suri sabha guruna.' That means you are the guru
of a Sabha of pandits including Ganapati, and others.  That is the real significance.  You belong to a family of
pandits.  So it suits you as well.'  I thought that it was a good explanation and felt satisfied.

(Suri Nagamma -My Life at Sri Ramansramam)

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: June 15, 2015, 11:15:04 AM »
Akhilandamma reminiscences:-

One day I prepared some murukkus (a small crunchy deep fried savory made out of rice and mooon dhal flours
with salt and chilly powder) for Sri Bhagavan and took them to Skandasramam. I did not tell Him in advance that
I was bringing them. On that same day some Nattukottai Chettiars also prepared murukkus and brought them.
As they prostrated to Bhagavan and presented their offering, I noticed that their murukkus were beautifully
shaped and had a very good color. I felt embarrassed to give my offering at the same time because my
murukkus were of such an inferior quality. I decided to wait until theirs had been distributed.

The murukkus brought by the Chettiars were first presented to Bhagavan. Bhagavan took a small piece from
one of them and then requested that the remainder be distributed to everyone. When this had been done I took
my own  murukkus and placed them before Bhagavan.  Bhagavan took a whole murukku and ate it all. An
attendant, Aiyaswami, then distributed the remainder.  As he was passing in front of Bhagavan, Bhagavan
leaned forward and took one more murukku from the plate.

While He was eating this second murukku He asked Mastan Swami who was standing nearby,'Mastan, what
has been mixed in this?'

Who can understand the reasons behind Bhagavan's actions, or the meanings that are conveyed in them?
Bhagavan has no sankalpa. He never decides how He should speak or what He should do.. The speech
and activities of Bhagavan are the autmatic gracious lilas of the omnipresent Lord Himself.

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: June 16, 2015, 08:08:54 AM »
Sri Bhagavan and the bugs and the errant coolie:-

Because Bhagavan Ramana did not want even the bugs in His sofa to be killed, He said that He did not know the
thief.  But if that thief could 'feel' Bhagavan's mercy and have his attitude to undergo change thenceforth, that is
a great spiritual improvement, is it not?  This was precisely what He wanted to do about the coolie who was misbehaving
with a lady-laborer.  But Asramam authorities 'punished' him and he went away in anger and shame.

Arunachala Siva.