Author Topic: The Nisargadatta Gita  (Read 1287 times)

nonduel

• View Profile
The Nisargadatta Gita
« on: April 14, 2012, 06:40:44 PM »
Namaste to all,

Keeping our attention on the self, Self-Enquiry, isn't easy and one must be earnest. Sri Nisargadatta said it was "a slippery place". The mind and thoughts do not collaborate as we all know.

A disciple of Maharaj made a compilation of all the quotes mentionning "I Am". It is the same teaching as Bhagavan, which is to keep our attention on the self, which Maharaj called the "I Am". This disciple is Pradeep Apte and this compilation is easy to find on the web.

I don't know of any other "tool" that centers one's attention on the self.

He also made a shorter compilation called the Nisargadatta Sadhana.
Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.

jacques franck

• View Profile
    • Om Tat Sat - Shrimad Bhagavad Gita
Re: The Nisargadatta Gita
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 03:00:10 PM »
Namaste

The Nisargadatta gita is a good work to read every day.

Here is an excerpt from a satsang given by Robert Adams

While I was sitting in the silence. I sort of reverted to the days when I was in Arunachala. I usually do not discuss this too much with other people but since it just came to me I will sort of briefly touch the subject.

I had been living in Ramana ashram for about a year and a half. This was the end of 1948. I stayed with Arthur Osborne, in his house. In those days when foreigners came they were put up with Arthur Osborne most of the time without him knowing.
And on one particular evening about 4 o clock Sri Ramana walked into the cottage and he brought me a mango. And he sat down on a stool in the corner of the room. I sat on the bed. We looked at each other and we smiled. He gave me one of his beautiful grins of his. And I knew that we should keep silent we should say anything because there is nothing to say. But all of a sudden he asked me a question. I asked him, "Ramana what is more important to be in the presence of a Sage or to practice atma-vichara by yourself, self-inquiry ?" I had already known the answer but it seemed the right thing to do was to ask him the question.
And he knew that I knew the answer. He waited a few seconds and then he said, "The Sage is atma-vichara. The Sage is the Self, your Self". Therefore when one is in the presence of the Sage all of the sadhana is being done at an accelerating rate. Everything that has to be done is being done. When one is in the presence of a true Sage.

So again I asked him, "How come so many people have come to you and only certain people feel it. Some people feel nothing. Some people go away disappointed. And some people get all of their dreams fulfilled?" Again I knew the answer.
So he waited a minute or so and he said, "This depends on the maturity of the seeker. It depends on the sincerity of the seeker. As you can see many people come here to visit me. To make a judgement and then they go look for another teacher. They go somewhere else. They travel all through India. And then they go back to England or to Holland or to the United States and they tell their friends that they have seen 10 Sages. Yet nothing has happened to them. But if one is sincere and surrenders totally to the Sage then the Sage, the grace of the Sage will automatically is felt by this individual and this individual makes tremendous progress. But the person really has to be sincere". By sincere he said, "I mean he has to be a devotee. To forget about him or herself totally, completely and merge in the Sage".

I then asked him another question, "What is the easiest way and most effective way to do atma-vichara, self-inquiry?" Again he smiled and waited a few seconds and then he said, "To always be aware consciously in all situations of the I-am. No matter what you're doing where you are be aware of the I-am in your heart. This is the most effective practice".

Namaste