Author Topic: Difficulties and desperation in sadhana  (Read 4693 times)

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Difficulties and desperation in sadhana
« on: April 13, 2012, 10:26:13 PM »
Is there time in your life when somehow your daily duties press you so much that you forget about your sadhana, about your spiritual life? Or moments when you feel depressed and desperate and like nothing can help you? What do you then? How you help yourself?
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

nonduel

• View Profile
Re: Difficulties and desperation in sadhana
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 11:03:21 PM »
Dear Ramana1359,

There was someone who kept complaining to Ramana about all that he considered not right around him and Ramana told him: remember why you came here. I am not sure of the exact words, but it is something like that.

You already know about the mind, Self-enquiry and the teaching of Ramana. These things happen to all sadhakas, so your pretty "normal" in that sense.

These things happens because of the thoughts surging and you follow them, think about them, above all you ACCEPT them.

So my dear Ramana1359, just remember what you ARE and put your attention on BEING.
Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 10:54:11 AM »
Ramana,
I agree with nonduel.yet each one has to find out what works for him.The key thing is that if we use the spare time available for sadhana,the undercurrent of that will be there even during our busiest of times,even if it appears to be all covered up.With Regular and diligent practice,this will become steady.In fact when we least expect,it will makes its presence felt in a gentle way ,not at all insisting.We have to make use of these moments .
Here is an excerpt from Sri Aurobindo:
There are moments when the Spirit moves among men and the breath of the Lord is abroad upon the waters of our being; there are others when it retires and men are left to act in the strength or the weakness of their own egoism. The first are periods when even a little effort produces great results and changes destiny; the second are spaces of time when much labour goes to the making of a little result. It is true that the latter may prepare the former, may be the little smoke of sacrifice going up to heaven which calls down the rain of God’s bounty. Unhappy is the man or the nation which, when the divine moment arrives, is found sleeping or unprepared to use it, because the lamp has not been kept trimmed for the welcome and the ears are sealed to the call. But thrice woe to them who are strong and ready, yet waste the force or misuse the moment; for them is irreparable loss or a great destruction. In the hour of God cleanse thy soul of all self-deceit and hypocrisy and vain self-flattering that thou mayst look straight into thy spirit and hear that which summons it.

Wishing you The Very Best.

Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 11:06:56 AM »
Thank you both of you!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 11:19:23 AM »
Dear Ramana,

i'l share my own self, there have been many occasions, i have felt thus. it discerned one day, that many responsibilities that i had were imposed by myself because of wrong desires in the past. And, slowly, i began to reduce my responsibilities to barest minimum, still trying to reduce but conducively to my environment, not making others feel sorry about this. Be free of all unnecessary responsibilities.

This is the holistic inclusive way. Think about everybody around you. It will be difficult, enduring it with the weapon of wisdom, and the problems drops away, by gradually dropping it.

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:23:31 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 11:27:36 AM »
Thank you, Sri Nagaraj.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 02:15:42 PM »
Dear ramana,

The waxing and waning periods in sadhana do occur in all cases of sincere sadhakas. Nochur Venkataraman says it is kashya stithi.
Chadwick had one such trough period and even went to Sri Bhagavan to permit him to go back home since it seemed to him and that
he could not have a break through.  By Sri Bhagavan's Grace, the break through did happen sooner thereafter. What we should
seek is Guru's Grace at that time, more and more, without losing heart.

Arunachala Siva.   

nonduel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 06:45:32 PM »
Dear Ramana,

I have just made a short post on the "Nisargadatta Gita" and I hope it be helpful for you as it was/is for me. 
Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 07:03:25 PM »
Thank you, nonduel!!!

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 04:49:42 PM »
Friends,
An excerpt from the wonderful Practice of the presence of God-Brother Lawrence:
Being questioned by one of his own society (to whom he was obliged to open himself) by what
means he had attained such an habitual sense of God , he told him that, since his first coming to
the monastery, he had considered God as the end of all his thoughts and desires, as the mark to
which they should tend, and in which they should terminate
That in the beginning of his novitiate he spent the hours appointed for private prayer in thinking
of God, so as to convince his mind of, and to impress deeply upon his heart, the Divine existence,
rather by devout sentiments, and submission to the lights of faith, than by studied reasonings and
elaborate meditations
. That by this short and sure method, he exercised himself in the knowledge
and love of God, resolving to use his utmost endeavour to live in a continual sense of His Presence,
and, if possible, never to forget Him more.
That when he had thus in prayer filled his mind with great sentiments of that infinite Being, he
went to his work appointed in the kitchen (for he was cook to the society)
; there having first
considered severally the things his office required, and when and how each thing was to be done,
he spent all the intervals of his time, as well before as after his work, in prayer.
That, when he began his business, he said to God, with a filial trust in Him, “O my God, since
Thou art with me, and I must now, in obedience to Thy commands, apply my mind to these outward
things, I beseech Thee to grant me the grace to continue in Thy Presence; and to this end do Thou
prosper me with Thy assistance, receive all my works, and possess all my affections.”
As he proceeded in his work, he continued his familiar conversation with his Maker, imploring
His grace, and offering to Him all his actions.
When he had finished, he examined himself how he had discharged his duty; if he found well,
he returned thanks to GOD; if otherwise, he asked pardon; and without being discouraged, he set
his mind right again, and continued his exercise of the presence of God, as if he had never deviated
from it. “Thus,” said he, “by rising after my falls, and by frequently renewed acts of faith and love,
I am come to a state, wherein it would be as difficult for me not to think of GOD, as it was at first
to accustom myself to it.”
As Brother Lawrence had found such an advantage in walking in the presence of God, it was
natural for him to recommend it earnestly to others; but his example was a stronger inducement
than any arguments he could propose. His very countenance was edifying; such a sweet and calm
devotion appearing in it, as could not but affect the beholders. And it was observed, that in the
greatest hurry of business in the kitchen, he still preserved his recollection and heavenly-mindedness.
He was never hasty nor loitering, but did each thing in its season, with an even uninterrupted
composure and tranquillity of spirit
. “The time of business,” said he, “does not with me differ from
the time of prayer; and in the noise and clutter of my kitchen, while several persons are at the same
time calling for different things, I possess God in as great tranquillity as if I were upon my knees
at the Blessed Sacrament.”

Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 06:10:50 PM »
Dear Ravi,

Brother Lawrence's life is a wonderful example for seekers. Difficulties and desperation occurs to a sincere seeker mainly due
to a blockade in not able to further proceed. For example, meditation is full of disturbance. New diseases crop up. Doubts over
one's own efficacy of sadhana. All these do happen and one can only seek guru's grace more and more. This state of vacuum
would pass off slowly. Even Chadwick had this state of blankness and Sri Bhagavan helped him out. What is needed is
patience and perseverance. If the seeker goes one step forward, guru comes forward to him by nine steps, says Muruganar.

Arunachala Siva.     

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 07:40:23 PM »
Dear selves,

reading about Brother Lawrence, i only remembered one aphorism from Narada Bhakti Sutras:

कण्ठावरोधरोमाञ्चाश्रुभिः परस्परं लपमानाः पावयन्ति कुलानि पृथिवीं च ॥

Conversing among one another with throats choked, and tears flowing, talking to one another in faltering tones attended with thrill and tears of joy, they sanctify their race and the wide earth.

I am reminded the great song of Sri Thyagaraja Swamgal:

Endaro Mahanubhavulu Andariki Vandanamulu

My prostrations to all those great men who have attained dizzy heights in their spiritual experience and who have lived in all the ages.

These great men keep the shape and form of the lord, who has attained bliss and power of the yoga in their lotus like heart and derive great happiness.

Oh Lord! Thou art very interested in Sama veda gana. All devotees who have meditated on you with devotion

Are great men. These men have been able to control the monkey like senses and think of lord Rama clearly

These are the great men who place the andhakarna like lotus flower at the feet of Sri Rama without any hesitation

These are the great men who sing the praise of the great lord who uplifts and purifies the poorest of the poor with devotion. These are the men who know the oneness of swara , raga and laya through constant discussions.

These are the great men who protect the world through their kind light. These are the followers who represent the collection of gem like divinely qualities which radiates with wisdom, friendship and kindness.

These are the great men who appreciate the majestic bravery walk of Shri Rama whose darshan is always in their eyes. They are filled with joy on his darshan. They are renowned for having drowned in the ocean of paramananda/ eternal happiness.

Amongst the great bhaktas of yours, great gains, the moon, the sun, sanakasanandas, dikeeshakas, devas, kimpurushas, prahalada, Narada, Thumburu, Anjaneya, Siva, Sukha, Maharishi, Brahma, Great Brahmins, great Saints, Famous men, immortal men are all enjoying eternal bliss

These are the great men who knowing your greatness & happily sing your praises and derive great pleasure. The gem of Raghukula, your devotees have been fascinated by your divinely form, the greatness of your divine namas, your peaceful mind, your bravery, your generosity, your quality of practising what is preached and the quality which you have proved the greatness of true bhakthi. You have also made it amply clear that religion devoid of bhakti is meaningless.

These are the great men who have derived boundless happiness by gathering the ocean of knowledge contained in Bhagvatam, Ramayana, Geeta, Vedas, Shastras by pondering over the secrets of the six religions orders under the class Sauram and Koumaram, by understanding the mind of the countless devas, by living a full life through the joy derived from music based on bhava, raga and laya

The people who through bhakti which crystallizes due to concentrated meditation, think of your name become true devotees of Sri Rama who is worshipped by his devotee Thyagaraja.

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 07:46:15 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 07:51:05 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

How should a seeker get hold of the guru?  Saint Manikkavachagar says, kodiRum pedhaiyum koNdathu vidAthena...

Like a creeper and a ghost, which will not leave what it has got hold of as asraya!

Then what happens?

Adiyum, pAdiyum, alaRium, azhuthum,
thazhalathu mezhgu pola mei uruhi......

By dancing, singing. roaring, weeping,
And the body melting like wax on the fire......

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 08:29:27 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

In the same vein Saint Manikkavachagar says: What should one do to get that state of holding on to the guru or god?

kalai malamodu kadum pahal pasi nisi
velai nithirai yAthirai pizhaithum.......

One should escape from the simple constipation to hunger in day and night
And the work atmosphere*, sleep,  pilgrimage etc.,

(*he was a minister in Pandyan kingdom and got into trouble)

karum kuzhal sevvai vennaihai kAr mayil
orungiya sAyal nerungiul matharthu
kacchara nimirnthu kathirthu mun paNaithu
eithidai varuntha ezhunthu pudai paranthu
eerkidai pogA iLa mulai mAdhar tham
koortha nayanak koLLaiyul pizhaithum.....

One should escape and survive the women, with dark tresses, red lips, a style that reminds a peacock, and then
their two breasts, which are close to each other, looking up, swelling in the front,
and closely held that even a broom stick's one strand would not go between those two breasts,
and their look that is sharp and loots one mind and attention!

pitha ulagar perunthuRai parappinuL
matha kaLir enum avavidai pizhaithum,

in this mad mad world large, one should escape the desire that comes to you charging like a mad elephant,

kalvi ennum palkadal pizhaithum,

One should escape the worldly knowledge and sastra knowledge which are like many seas,

selvam ennum allaliR pizhaithum,

One should escape the riches which are only troublesome,

nalkuravennum tholvidam pizhaithum,

'I shall do help to others, give them doles' - this sort of activities that are like poison because it bloats your ego,
and I should escape this too,

pulvarambAya palathurai pizhaithum,

various activities which are like grass fields which will wither away in hot sun,

Arukodi mAya sakthigal
veRu veRu ntham mAyaikaL thodangina.....

Six crores of maya sakti start showing their mAyic allures,

AthamanAr ayalavar koodi
nathigam pesi nathezhum perinar....

The pride ones join and speak atheism and their tongues became stiff with that endless talk,

SamyavAdhikal that tham madhangaLe
amaivathAhave aRaRRi malainthanar,

People of different religions and sects blabber that
     their sect only will show the way,

ulokAyathan enum on thiRal pAmpin       
kalapedathe kaduvida meithi
adhiR perum mayai anap palav chozhavum....

The agnostics (Charvakas) like a poisonous snake
show different mAyic shows.....

I shall escape all these and then hold on to guru or god like a creeper or a ghost
and melt like wax on fire.

(PoRRi thiru ahaval - Tiruvachakam)

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 08:41:35 PM »
Dear Sir,

the How ???? remains

we are all helpless! All of what Manickavachagar has conveyed is a daily day day reality today, which we cannot avoid. That which is to be abhorred is the culture and decency of today.

We have to watch the movie in the theater and escape from watching the movie, being in the theater itself.

Again, how insignificant we are...

Arulum Venume, Anbu punume, inbam thonume

True, Grace is needed; Love is added. Bliss wells up.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta