Author Topic: DELETED  (Read 1357 times)

srkudai

DELETED
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:25:08 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:15:20 PM by srkudai »

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
Re: Systematic Study of Scriptures
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 06:09:43 PM »
sirs - yes. I agree. But I also believe that one needs to know when to stop just reading and learning and start practicing. After learning most of the core texts, my personal experience is that brain is a very tricky organ, as tricky as mind. It will always ask for the pleasures from learning. As bhagawan says it never allows you to ask "Who is wanting to learn more". But this stage should be only after learning scriptures to understand the ultimate truth - that "Eka vignanena sarva vignanam". The "experiencing" feeling is far more satisfying to me than learning more and more. My humble thoughts... 
Salutations to Bhagawan

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:42:51 PM »
Thank you, sir - for the welcome. And I agree with you on second thought :) - but I was trying to express the point that you should progressively spend more time to practice and experience and less of reading. I personally am finding that the way I am progressing and hence it was more of a personal observation...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 06:46:31 PM by sanjaya_ganesh »
Salutations to Bhagawan

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 07:03:37 AM »
sanjaya_ganesh/udai/friends,
"I agree with you on second thought :) - but I was trying to express the point that you should progressively spend more time to practice and experience and less of reading."
Yes Sanjaya.I have seen that there are two sides to any point and each is valid in its own way.What udai says is quite in order-that it does help to have a structured approach.What you say is true as well.
The Sravana-manana-Nidhidyasana through the help of a Guru-is indeed beneficial.Even this can be understood in a deeper sense.
One may read a scripture ,say the Gita ,with or without commentary-in a spirit of receptivity and open mind.In the Beginning we may understand very little;yet if we are earnest,with each reading we understand more and more-in terms of clarity and more importantly the inspiration-It is as if Lord Sri Krishna is speaking to us directly.An odd sentence here and elsewhere may set us oncourse-and help us to be in tune.This is the purpose of Listening to the scripture and dwelling on it.
In The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna ,the Master refers to an incident from Sri Chaitanya's Life:
"What is the significance of the Gita? It is what you find by repeating the word ten times. It
is then reversed into 'tagi', which means a person who has renounced everything for God.
And the lesson of. the Gita is: 'O man, renounce everything and seek God alone.' Whether a
man is a monk or a householder, he has to shake off all attachment from his mind.
"Chaitanyadeva set out on a pilgrimage to southern India. One day he saw a man reading
the Gita. Another man, seated at a distance, was listening and weeping. His eyes were
swimming in tears. Chaitanyadeva asked him, 'Do you understand all this?' The man said,
'No, revered sir, I don't understand a word of the text.' 'Then why are you crying?' asked
Chaitanya. The devotee said: 'I see Arjuna's chariot before me. I see Lord Krishna and
Arjuna seated in front of it, talking. I see this and I weep.'

Again ,elsewhere he says:

MASTER (to the pundit): "There are many scriptures like the Vedas. But one cannot realize
God without austerity and spiritual discipline. 'God cannot be found in the six systems, the
Vedas, or the Tantra.'

"But one should learn the contents of the scriptures and then act according to their
injunctions. A man lost a letter. He couldn't remember where he had left it. He began to
search for it with a lamp. After two or three people had searched, the letter was at last
found. The message in the letter was: 'Please send us five seers of sandesh and a piece of
wearing-cloth.' The man read it and then threw the letter away. There was no further need
of it; now all he had to do was to buy the five seers of sandesh and the piece of cloth.
Reading, hearing, and seeing
"Better than reading is hearing, and better than hearing is seeing. One understands the
scriptures better by hearing them from the lips of the guru or of a holy man. Then one
doesn't have to think about their non-essential part
."

The basic difference between reading(figuring out with one's mind) and listening(Receiving the inspiration with a quiet mind) is what is the deeper import.Personally,I have found that I strike a deeper rapport by not listening to 'Talks' of Swamijis.Mostly I find them communicating 'Thoughts' rather than the 'Spirit' of the Gita.On the Other hand ,I have struck a deeper rapport by reading the writings of Great souls on the Gita.They are our Guru.
I do understand that it may work differently with others.

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:47:46 AM »
Dear i,

.... And God fulfils Himself in many ways,
 Lest one good custom should corrupt the world.

Alfred Tennyson

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta