Author Topic: Giving up body consciousness  (Read 2771 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Giving up body consciousness
« on: April 08, 2012, 12:41:30 PM »
Dear cefnbrithdir,

You aroused in me the latent desire to read the teachings of Sri Siddharameshwar Maharaj, i had read about Sri Maharaj, some time back, but never pursued with it, and, since your mention about Sri Maharaj on a couple of occasions, i began to read about him. Here is one nice  article, of his,

Leaving behind the mis-identification with the body, followed by dispassion from worldly life, should be obtained with the aid of the body, mind, and speech. By constantly thinking of the Self, the passionate attachment for worldly life begins to fade, and one's "True Nature" (Swaroopa) comes into focus and is realized. The mind then gives up the ego and forgets the body.

When the mind is directed towards the Self, it discovers that the Self is omnipresent. Aspirants who want to experience the Self, are required to give up any thought of the body and focus exclusively on the Self. Body consciousness must be vanquished, and then the aspirant is left with no other motives, or impulses. Such a person may carry out their daily routine, but their actions do not reveal bodily awareness. While going through their bodily actions and routines, they never consider themselves to be the doer.

Just as a dry leaf is easily blown away by the wind, body consciousness should also be blown away. One should give up being obsessed with the body. Only then, does one discover one’s true Self. We can elevate ourselves, and bring about our own upliftment, but while we remain engrossed solely in worldly affairs, it is we ourselves, who are responsible for our own sorry state. Procrastination is a common habit that should be discarded. If one always puts off giving up body consciousness until tomorrow, it will never be done at all. Tomorrow never comes. In this way, we bring about our own destruction. If you have ever attempted to sit on your own shadow, you see that the moment you try to do so, your shadow disappears. In a similar manner, the moment you overcome body consciousness, illusion is destroyed.

A Dnyani understands and experiences that the body is untrue. Even if a Dnyani says "I have done this, I have done that," he remains unaffected by any outcome, as his body identification no longer exists. He has understood everything. His ego is wiped out, and he is unaffected by pride. Body consciousness influences one's behavior, so as one increasingly identifies with body consciousness, the result is that one becomes swollen with pride. One should investigate and find out how much body consciousness and how much consciousness of the Self one possesses, and in what proportion.

Shri Siddharameshwar Maharaj - From a talk on "Eknathi Bhagwat" given on September 25, 1933

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Giving up body consciousness
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 05:43:59 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

I went through Sri Bhagavan' conversations regarding body consciousness.  In some places, He says, that loss of body
consciousness is not being aware of what is happening to the body, but to not to identify the pains and pleasures of the
body. Alan Jacobs (or someone else) says that Sri Bhagavan  treated the body as if it was different from His Swarupam.
It was like a shirt or a coat on the coat stand, away from Him. No doubt, He suffered rheumatic pains on His legs and
applied some herbal oils before taking up a walk. He had hiccups and some medicines were given.  These are like a person
setting right the torn button on the coat and then wearing it.  Because loss of body consciousness also happens when one
swoons or sleeps. Does it mean he is enjoying  Atma bodham? No definitely not.

Now, let us come to His final  years when cancer created pain for Him. No doubt there were pains, almost unbearable
for normal person. But He said that 'Yes. There is pain. Body is paining.' It is like saying - Yes my coat is torn, I should give
it to the tailor to set it right. Thus He agreed for four surgeries. And His body which was not His real swarupam bore with the
pain. Again His face became contorted because of this only. But He never said: I have no pain. He said: The body is paining.

When time came, when the coat became no longer set right and re-used, He left His mortal coil and merged with Arunachala
Swarupam which is His Swarupam only. It is like milk mixing with ocean of milk.               

It was quite easy for Him to dissolve his body into elements. Once it happened in Tortoise Rock. Vasudeva Sastri was
crying because Sri Bhagavan was becoming blue in His skin. He saw a bright white sheet before Him, hiding everything.
But Arunachala thought that He should be in the mortal coil for some more years and so His body dissolution did not take place.

Arunachala Siva.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 09:46:46 PM »
Nagaraj/Subramanian/Friends,
Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
TRAILOKYA: "Is it ever possible, sir, to have true knowledge of God while living in the
world? Can one realize God here?"
MASTER (with a smile): "Why do you worry? You are enjoying both treacle and refined
sugar. (All laugh.) You are living in the world with your mind in God. Isn't that true? Why
shouldn't a man realize God in the world'? Certainly he can."
TRAILOKYA: What are the signs of a householder having attained Knowledge?"
MASTER: "His tears will flow, and the hair on his body will stand on end. No sooner does
he hear the sweet name of God than the hair on his body stands on end from sheer delight,
and tears roll down his cheeks. "A man cannot get rid of body-consciousness as long as he
is attached to worldly things and loves 'woman and gold'. As he becomes less and less
attached to worldly things, he approaches nearer and nearer to the Knowledge of Self. He
also becomes less and less conscious of his body
. He attains Self-Knowledge when his
worldly attachment totally disappears. Then he realizes that body and soul are two separate
things. It is very difficult to separate with a knife the kernel of a coconut from the shell
before the milk inside has dried up. When the milk dries up, the kernel rattles inside the
shell. At that time it loosens itself from the shell. Then the fruit is called a dry coconut
Signs of God-vision
"The sign of a man's having realized God is that he has become like a dry coconut. He has
become utterly free from the consciousness that he is the body
. He does not feel happy or
unhappy with the happiness or unhappiness of the body. He does not seek the comforts of
the body. He roams about in the world as a jivanmukta, one liberated in life. 'The devotee
of Kali is a jivanmukta , full of Eternal Bliss.'

It is certainly possible for these Great ones to totally withdraw the mind from the body and be above pain.It is possible to give up the Body as well!This is what Sri Ramakrishna says:
"It is possible for me to
give up the body in samadhi; but I have a slight desire to enjoy the love of God and the
company of His devotees. Therefore I pay a little attention to my body."

It is not as if it is 'his' desire;here the 'I' refers to the Divine mother and her will!Here is an excerpt that reveals this aspect:

MASTER: "There is a sect of Vaishriavas known as the Ghoshpara, who describe God as
the 'Sahaja', the 'Simple One'. They say further that a man cannot recognize this 'Simple
One' unless he too is simple. (To M.) Have I any ego
?"
M: "Yes, sir. A little. You have kept it to preserve your body, and to enjoy divine love in
the company of the devotees and impart spiritual knowledge to them. Further, you have
kept this trace of ego by praying to the Divine Mother for it."
MASTER: "No. I have not kept it. It is God Himself who has left it in me. Can you tell me
how I appear in the state of samadhi?"
M: "As you said a little while ago, you see the form of God when your mind rises to the
'sixth plane'. When you speak after that, your mind comes down to the 'fifth plane'."
MASTER: "It is God who does all these things. I do not know anything."
M: "That is why you attract people so much."

There is another wonderful story about Sri Ramakrishna and Totapuri.I will post it next.I saw elsewhere that you have posted how Sri Ramakrishna attained Nirvikalpa Samadhi with Tota puri's guidance;While it is true that Sri Ramakrishna attained Nirvikalpa samadhi ,the narration is not at all accurate.I will post the complete story.It is Totapuri who learnt from Sri Ramakrishna and stayed rooted there for 11 months;just imagine that he never stayed in one place for more than 3 days!

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 07:49:25 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

enlightening bit of information of Sri Ramakrishna. Through the conversations that your post of the Master, I am seeing the sameness in Him and Bhagavan. Also, Sri Ramakrishna reminds me of Sri Rama. Sri Ramakrishna was more like Rama, who was a brahma jnani but with all mixed emotions... Rama cried bitterly at the loss of Sita, felt deeply saddened at her step mother sending her to forest and was extremely disturbed at the entire scenario where by his father Dasaratha died, yet, Rama baffled even Bharadwaja Muni, who, thought Rama is such an ideal brahma swaroopam, and he used to enjoy his presence, but immediately when he used to feel thus, Rama cried venting his feelings to Bharadwaja Muni... feeling extremely confused, who is this person, Rama, is he just an ordinary man or a man of highest realisation, he is baffling me, and he goes to Valmiki to seek clarity, and this is when Valmiki narrates the Maha Ramayana - Vasishtam to him!

Yes, i would like to hear more about Sri Totapuri and Sri Ramakrishna, the instance where Totapuri makes Ramakrishna attain Nirvikalpa Samadhi is an amazing story indeed. I could not find an accurate article regarding this.

These people, i say, the ones such as Sri Bhagavan and Sri Ramakrishna, they stupefy us, like the verse from Akshara Mana Malai -

With some magic powder, you stupefied me, robbed me of
my jiva-hood and revealed instead your Siva-hood. (73)

dangerously gracious  :) once if ones falls to them, he is lost, for ever!

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 07:59:57 AM »
Nagaraj,
I concur with you one hundred percent.
Namaskar.