Author Topic: Self-surrender and its meaning as revealed by Maha Guru Bhagwan Sri Ramana  (Read 64894 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Dear Devotees,

When we talk of loving God, duality is implied—the one who loves and the entity called God who is loved. But an individual is never separate from God. Therefore, love means love towards one’s own Self. This is why Sri Bhagwan often said that everything is dear because of the love of theSelf.

Love itself is the form of God. Sri Bhagwan teaches that if by saying, ‘I do not love this, I do not love that’, I reject ALL THINGS,  that which remains is the Atma-Swarupa only. That alone is the true form of the Self.  Everything thus can be rejected, but not the Self. Therefore, what remains after rejecting everything is the Self alone. And that is the true love.

Sri Bhagwan says that one who knows the secret of that love finds the world itself full of universal love. That is true love. That is devotion, that is Realisation, and that is everything.

Sri Bhagwan says that not forgetting consciousness alone is the state of devotion because real knowledge of the Self which shines as the undivided Supreme Bliss then surges as the nature of love.  Then only we understand that Grace is needed, love is added and Bliss well up.

Thank you,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear anil,

Yes. Tirumoolar said: ANBE SIVAM. Love is Siva-Consciousness.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Swarupa exists wholly as division-free supreme bliss, and the experience of swarupa Jnana surges as the nature of love. Therefore, only the janan experience free from pramada (forgetfulness of the Self) is in truth the observance of devotion, the relationship of true love that never fades.
                                   V. 974, GVK, Edited by Sri D. Godman

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Thank you so much, sir. It, therefore, follows that SELF ALONE IS THE TRUTH OF LOVE; and Atma-Swarupa or Atmanubhava which is the direct experience of the Self , is the experience of True Love.

“One who finds the secret of that love finds the world itself full of universal love.”
                                                     Sri Bhagwan

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Dear Devotees,

There is no doubt whatever that the Divine Grace is essential for God-Realisation. But Sri Bhagwan says that such Grace is vouchsafed only to him who is a true devotee or a yogin, who has striven hard and ceaselessly on the path towards freedom. However, on another occasion, He says that we are making effort, in the first place, because of the Guru’s or God’s Grace.

THEREFORE, IT CAN BE SAID THAT GRACE IS THE CAUSE OF THE EFFORT AND EFFORT IS THE CAUSE OF THE GRACE. I should say that Grace is obtained through effort and effort is prompted by the Grace.

Thank you,
  Anil

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dear i,

such a beautiful discernment!

சிவன் அவன் என்சிந்தையுள் நின்ற அதனால்
அவன் அருளாலே அவன் தாள் வணங்கிச்
சிந்தை மகிழச் சிவ புராணம் தன்னை
முந்தை வினைமுழுதும் ஓய உரைப்பன் யான். 20
          chivan avan enchin^dhaiyuL n^inRa adhanAl
avan aruLAlE avan thAL vaNaN^gich
chin^dhai magizach chiva purANam thannai
mun^dhai vinaimuzudhum Oya uraippan yAn.

Because He, Civan, within my thought abides,
By His grace alone, bowing before His feet,
With joyous thought, Civan's 'Ways of Old' I'll tell,
That thus my former 'deeds' may wholly pass. (20)

எல்லாப் பிறப்பும் பிறந்து இளைத்தேன், எம்பெருமான்
மெய்யே உன் பொன் அடிகள் கண்டு இன்று வீடு உற்றேன்
உய்ய என் உள்ளத்துள் ஓங்காரமாய் நின்ற
மெய்யா விமலா விடைப்பாகா வேதங்கள்
ஐயா எனவோங்கி ஆழ்ந்து அகன்ற நுண்ணியனே 35

வெய்யாய், தணியாய், இயமானனாம் விமலா
பொய் ஆயின எல்லாம் போய் அகல வந்தருளி
மெய் ஞானம் ஆகி மிளிர் கின்ற மெய்ச் சுடரே
எஞ்ஞானம் இல்லாதேன் இன்பப் பெருமானே
அஞ்ஞானம் தன்னை அகல்விக்கும் நல் அறிவே 40

ellAp piRappum piRan^dhu iLaiththEn, emberumAn
meyyE un pon aDigaL kaNDu inRu vIDu uRREn
uyya en uLLaththuL ON^gAramAy n^inRa
meyyA  vimalA  viDaippAgA  vEdhaN^gaL
aiyA  enavON^gi Azn^dhu aganRa n^uNNiyanE              35

veyyAy, thaNiyAy, iyamAnanAm vimalA
poy Ayina ellAm pOy agala van^dharuLi
mey nyAnam Agi miLir kinRa meych chuDarE
enynyAnam illAdhEn inbap perumAnE
anynyAnam thannai agalvikkum n^al aRivE
HE FOUND THE MASTER

Truly, seeing Thy golden feet this day, I've gained release.
O Truth! as the OngAram dwelling in my soul,
That I may 'scape. O spotless one ! O Master of the bull !
Lord of the VEdas! Rising, sinking, spreading, subtile One ! (35)

Thou art the heat ! and Thou the cold ! the Master Thou, O spotless One !
Thou cam'st in grace, that all things false might flee,
True Wisdom, gleaming bright in splendour true,
To me, void of all wisdom, blissful Lord !
O Wisdom fair, causing unwisdom' self to flee far off !

(Translated by GU Pope)

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:29:35 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Nagaraj,

Saint Manikkavachagar says:

Meeye un poNNadigaL kaNdinRu veeduRRen...

The mere seeing of Siva's golden feet, in Tiruperundurai has conferred him liberation! Veedu = moksham in Tamizh.

pAdam = feet, has become padam = mukti or source.

Manikkavachagar has never been tired of praising Siva's golden feet. Like Muruganar says in his Padamalai about
Sri Bhagavan's feet.

Guru or God's feet are everything. It is Peace. It is Home. It is Source. It is Mukti. It is Bliss. It is Sat and Chit and
Anandam.

You should read  Tiruvembavai last verse. A poet cannot describe the god or guru's feet better.

Salutations, Grace me with your flowery feet, which is the beginningless beginning.
Salutations, Grace me with your tender leaves like feet, which is the end of the endless.
Salutations, to that golden feet which is the starting point of all beings*   (See Pancharatnam of Sri Bhagavan, Verse 2)
Salutations, to that flowery feet, which is the sustencance of all beings.
Salutations, to that two feet which are the end point of all beings.
Salutations, to that lotus feet un seen by Vishnu and Brahma   
Salutations, to that golden feet which take charge of us and rule over us, and grace us.
Salutations,to You, come and bathe with us in this early morning of Margazhi!

Verily  the verse is a flower garden!   

Muruganar also says in his Padamalai that Sri Bhagavan's feet are Grace, Mukti, Peace, Sat and Chit Anandam.

No wonder, VaLLalAr Ramalingam said that anyone who cannot melt at reading Tiruvachakam, will not melt for anything
in this world.

AnAl vinaiyen azhuthAl unnai peRalAme..........

I have  done nothing. But if I cry for you, this sinful fool can yet you!

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dear i,

wonderful, thank you for elaborating these beautiful ecstatic expressions of Manikkavachagar. i do not get these subtle essence of what you have mentioned in GU Pope's translation - "The mere seeing of Siva's golden feet, in Tiruperundurai has conferred him liberation! Veedu = moksham in Tamizh."

There is a beauty when one reads the meaning of this verse as above and as how GU Pope has rendered his translation. How truly blessed one must be to pass the life time, or, pass this never ending moment by praising the almighty. Manickavachagar lived some thousand years back, very recently, can we believe, Muruganar was there? sometimes, its so pleasantly surprising!

Here i reproduce the Thiruvembavai verse in tamizh:

போற்றி அருளுக நின் ஆதியாம் பாதமலர்
போற்றி அருளுக நின் அந்தமாம் செந்தளிர்கள்
போற்றி எல்லா உயிர்க்கும் தோற்றமாம் பொற்பாதம்
போற்றி எல்லா உயிர்க்கும் போகமாம் பூங்கழல்கள்
போற்றி எல்லா உயிர்க்கும் ஈறாம் இணையடிகள்
போற்றி மால் நான்முகனும் காணாத புண்டரிகம்
போற்றியாம் உய்யஆட் கொண்டருளும் பொன்மலர்கள்
போற்றியாம் மார்கழிநீர் ஆடேலோர் எம்பாவாய். 174
         pORRi aruLuga n^in AdhiyAm pAdhamalar
    pORRi aruLuga n^in an^dhamAm chen^dhaLirgaL
pORRi ellA uyirkkum thORRamAm poRpAdham
    pORRi ellA uyirkkum pOgamAm pUN^gazalgaL
pORRi ellA uyirkkum IRAm iNaiyaDigaL
    pORRi mAl n^Anmuganum kANAdha puNDarigam
pORRiyAm uyyAaT koNDaruLum ponmalargaL
    pORRiyAm mArgazin^Ir ADElOr embAvAy. 

here is the other one -

யானே பொய் என்நெஞ்சும் பொய் என் அன்பும் பொய்
ஆனால் வினையேன் அழுதால் உன்னைப் பெறலாமே
தேனே அமுதே கரும்பின் தெளிவே தித்திக்கும்
மானே அருளாய் அடியேன் உனை வந்து உறுமாறே. 94
         yAnE poy enn^enychum poy en anbum poy
 AnAl vinaiyEn azudhAl unnaip peRalAmE
thEnE amudhE karumbin theLivE thiththikkum
mAnE aruLAy aDiyEn unai van^dhu uRumARE

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dear i,

the beauty of Guruvachaka Kovai is enhanced when read along with Manickavachakar's Thiruvachaka kovai

i am happy at least i became acquainted with these!

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dear i,

i request you to kindly post verses from GVK TVK at your convinience, it would be really wonderful !

What treasure we have in our hands, i guess, we don't even fathom the value of these! Our Yajna would be to read it, assimilate the Bhavam of Manickavachakar and Muruganar.

This itself would suffice!

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dear i,

Please visit this link below, you will find many tamizh literature works available online. If you open the file in Unicode type, you would be able to simply copy and paste here, for your ease.

http://www.projectmadurai.org/pmworks.html

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Nagaraj,

Thanks for the information.  Somehow I am not able to use this technique of copying and pasting. I shall try after some time.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Padam made me merge in the essence of the Tiruvachakam, revealing it to be the ultimate conclusion of the Vedas.                       
                                                                                                           Padamalai

Padam opened my Heart in such a way that that the exalted essence that could not be seen anywhere came to be seen everywhere.
                                                                                                           Padamalai

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Thank you so much, sir, for posting Sublime Verses from the Great Devotional Work, Tiruvachakam. Sri Bhagwan Himself often cited from this Great Work and had very high regard for it. It is mentioned in the Padamalai that on the night that Sri Bhagwan’s Mother passed away, He initiated a reading of the Great Work and that only concluded at 4 a.m. Sri Bhagwan’s Statements and Views regarding the Tiruvachakam are recorded by Sri Muruganar in following Verses in the Padamalai:

Manikavachagar’s Tiruvachakam expresses in words the exuberant, graceful experience of Sivam, which transcends speech.

Tiruvachakam is a work that deserves to be experienced. The meaning of its sweet verses is beyond intellectual knowledge.

The Tiruvachakam is a sea of divine honey expressing the God-experience that puts an end to the birth misery of getting caught in the womb.

Dear sir, is there available a good English translation of the Great Work, i.e. Tiruvachakam ? If yes, how can I get one for myself.

Regards,
  Anil           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Anil,

The oldest English translation done in 1900 is by G.U. Pope, a Jesuit father. But this is in Victorian English. There is one more
by Dr. Vanmika Nathan. I shall try to get you the publisher's name and place since I do not have that copy.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Anil,

But some songs of Tiruvachakam like Tiruembavai and PoRRi tiruahaval have been rendered in Tamizh by Robert Butler,
David Godman and Dr. Venkatasubaramanian. These have been published in different issues of Mountain Path in recent
years.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Dear Devotees,

Complete surrender means that one must cease to exist as a separate entity. True surrender does mean union with God. The real goal of the true surrender is the extinction of the sense of being an individual who can unite with God. Sri Bhagwan says that complete surrender means that one has no further thought of ‘I’. Then all one’s predispositions are washed off and one is free.

“YOU SHOULD NOT CONTINUE AS A SEPARATE ENTITY AT THE END OF EITHER COURSE—ENQUIRY OR SURRENDER.

Thank you,
  Anil