Author Topic: Self-surrender and its meaning as revealed by Maha Guru Bhagwan Sri Ramana  (Read 66674 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dear i,

Brahmasri always keeps quoting Paul Brunton's quote "His silence is more eloquent than His speech"

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
His love for Arunachala is extraordinary.  We see that every moment was indeed an expression of His remarkable joy in and lover
for Arunachala - a true glorifying of His God.

Subramanian sir -

A related question came to my mind reading this. Does this mean even for JIvanmuktha - a God with a form - and devotion to a personal God exists? Ramakrishna Bhagawan had Mother Kalli and so on... Eager to know...

Peace
Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear sanjaya,

Even for a Jivan mukta, so long as He has discarded His body, He can also love Brahman in saguna, in form, say Arunachala.
What is wrong there? Sri Sankara has written a number of poems on various gods and goddesses even though he had
given a master piece of pure advaita philosophy in Viveka Chudamani. Please see Sri Bhagavan's answers to Dr. Syed in
Talks No. 273.

Arunachala Siva.     

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dear i,

In this regard, we can never say, a Jivanmuktha to be like this or that, the point to discern is that he is beyond, he may still do ritual worship, he may still sit without doing anything, He is simply beyond our comprehension. Nothing can determine the Jivanmuktha Lakshanam. He cannot be fit into our definition.

At another instance, when some devotee asked Bhagavan, what he would ask God, if he were to appear before him, to which, Bhagavan responded, that he would first ask him to stop this business of appearing, coming and going before him.

Even, look at how Sri Ramakrishnar was, different at different times. How can we measure the unlimited expanse? They do what ever they want. They may also behave like an insane, mad persons, at the same they can also be ruling a country, like Janaka.

Its futile attempt, we can never know

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 02:05:33 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Having observed as previously,

a Jnani can only be a great Bhakta, a Jnani can only be a great Jnani, a Jnani can only be great ritualist, a Jnani only can be a true Bhagavattotaman.

He fits into everything. There is no place where he cannot be fit into! To the Christians, he is Jesus, to the Muslims, He is Allah, and so on... He is All. POORNATVAM - Absolute Completeness.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
Thanks. Yes  - that makes sense.

Peace
Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. His Life Itself is a greater Teaching than the Spoken Words and His Silence remains the Greatest Teaching. His Silence is eloquent and palpable even today. There is no room for any doubt about that.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Quote:
वेदान्तवाक्येषु सदा रमन्तो
भिक्षान्नमात्रेण च तुष्टिमन्तः ॥
विशोकवन्तः करणे रमन्तः
कौपीनवन्तः खलु भाग्यवन्तः ॥

मूलं तरोः केवलमाश्रयन्तः
पाणिद्वयं भोक्तु मन्त्रयन्तः
कथमिव श्रियमपि कुत्सयन्तः

देहादि भावं परिमार्जयन्तः
आत्मानमात्मन्यवलोकयन्तः
नान्तं न मध्यं न बहिस्‍मरन्तः

स्वानन्दभावे परितुष्टिमन्तः
संशान्त सर्वेन्द्रिय तुष्टिमन्तः
अहर्निशं ब्रह्मणि ये रमन्तः

पंचाक्षरं पावनमुच्चरन्तः
पतिं पशूनां हृदि भावयन्तः
भिक्षाशना दिक्षु परिभ्रमन्तः
कौपीनवन्तः खलु भाग्यवन्तः ॥   . .    The dispassionate one wearing a piece of loin cloth —
who is roaming in the thoughts of Vedanta (Upanishad),
who is satisfied by a meagre portion of begged-food,
who is meditating in his inner-self without grief — is indeed blessed.||1||

The dispassionate one wearing a piece of loin cloth —
who is sitting at the roots of a tree,
who is eating unmeasured (meagre) food with his two hands,
and who is disregarding wealth like a patched-cloth —
is indeed blessed.||2||

who is elating and satisfying in his own thoughts,
who is keeping quiet and curbing his sensual desires,
and who is roaming day and night in the thoughts of Brahman —
is indeed blessed.||3||

who is witnessing his body changes,
who is seeing self as the aatman,
and who is not remembering either the end, or the middle,
or the outside one — is indeed blessed.||4||

who is reciting the Brahma-syllable, who is is existing
with the thought ‘I am Brahman’, and who is wandering
in directions for alms — is indeed blessed.||5||

Dear Sri Nagaraj,

Kaupina Panchakam of Sri Adi Shankara is indeed wonderful. Thank you so much for posting it.

Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Ramana, God immaculate,
Bright like Aruna Hill that blesses
Ardent devotees with its grace,
A well you are of infinite bliss,
Permit me graciously
To come near, bend down and drink.
                                      Part of V. 222, Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai

Incessant search for Self, the love supreme of God we call.
For He alone as Self abides within the Heart of all.
                          V.4, Nine Stray Verses

Dear Devotees,

He alone abides as the Self in our Heart. So, incessant search for the Self alone is the Supreme Love for Him. Incessant search for the Self within is alone coming near Him and bending down. And abidance as the Self alone is to drink the Nectar of Love and Bliss.

Thank you,
   Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear anil,

Verse 103 of Akshara Mana Malai:

Intending to trap me, you like a spider spread your wings of Grace, you imprisoned me and devoured me, (my ego), O Arunachala!

Verse 105 of ibid.

May you live for ever, as the loving savior of the poor, helpless people like me, O Arunachala!

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
“Intending to trap me, you like a spider spread your wings of Grace, you imprisoned me and devoured me, (my ego), O Arunachala!”

It is true of Sri Bhagwan Himself. He Himself chooses His prey, spreads His wings of Grace to trap the chosen one, imprisons Him in a tiger-like jaw and then devours him at His own chosen time.

Thank you so much, sir.
Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Quote from Sri Nagaraj:
“Dear i,

In this regard, we can never say, a Jivanmuktha to be like this or that, the point to discern is that he is beyond, he may still do ritual worship, he may still sit without doing anything, He is simply beyond our comprehension. Nothing can determine the Jivanmuktha Lakshanam. He cannot be fit into our definition.

At another instance, when some devotee asked Bhagavan, what he would ask God, if he were to appear before him, to which, Bhagavan responded, that he would first ask him to stop this business of appearing, coming and going before him.

Even, look at how Sri Ramakrishnar was, different at different times. How can we measure the unlimited expanse? They do what ever they want. They may also behave like an insane, mad persons, at the same they can also be ruling a country, like Janaka.

Its futile attempt, we can never know

Salutations to Bhagavan”

Dear Sri Nagaraj,

Ji.Yes. In the present state of ignorance, it is futile to try to ascertain and fathom the State of a Jnani. Only a Jnani can truly know the State of an another Jnani.

Thank you so much.
 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Unfathoable

The feet, the middle and the crown,
All three you are, O Venkata!
O child, those who not an atom
Of your true Being, how coud they understand
Its nature and condition?

V. 1158, Sri Ramana sannidhi Murai

Siva you are and Vishnu too,
And also Brahma, Venkata!
O child, those who know nothing at all
Of your true Being, how could they understand
Their nature and qualities?

V. 1160, Sri Ramana sannidhi Murai

Dear Devotees, when it comes to knowing the State of a Jnanai, are we better than a child who knows nothing, not even an atom, of His Being ? How can we fathom the Unfathomable, infinite EXISTENCE-CONSCIOUSNESS with the limited and non-existing faculty CALLED MIND ? No. Only a Jnani can fathom the State of another Jnani, for all Jnanis are One.

However, in Silence He teaches us the Secret of our being THAT.

“One sole Awareness, Lord Supreme,
Silent sky, the Vedas’ import,
That you are, O Venkata!
Yet, to your eager devotees
You utter without speech the blissful secret of their being That.

V. 1165, Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai

What is meant here by the eager devotees in the Verse cited above ?

Thank you,
    Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Anil,

Muruganar says in Guru Ramana Prasadam, one of the compositions in Sri Ramana Jnana Bodham:

366. Supreme Light, You who turned the eye of Grace upon my worthless self, ripening me and inspiring these verses
of praise! Shattering and casting off the threefold defilement that bound by soul you came to hold me entirely within
your power. 'Master, other than you, I know of no other support!

367. Through true devotion whereby I became the married wife of the One and merged with Him, I dwell in the one Heart,
holding onto that One, the non dual reality, dwells within my inner awareness and shines there  unceasingly.

370. The state of pure grace, enduring supreme bliss, was not within my own power. The Lord, feeling it to be His
responsibility, accomplished it and granted it to me.  Other than trusting in the glory of our dear Lord's Grace,
I did not perform any spiritual practice as my own doing.

(Tr. Robert Butler)

Arunachala Siva.         

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
“370. The state of pure grace, enduring supreme bliss, was not within my own power. The Lord, feeling it to be His
responsibility, accomplished it and granted it to me.  Other than trusting in the glory of our dear Lord's Grace,
I did not perform any spiritual practice as my own doing.”

Other than trusting in the glory of his dear Lord’s Grace, what is there to do? It Itself is perennial Satsanga. If composing 30,000 ‘Verses Sublime’, pertaining to His Life, Teaching and Glory, is not Satsanga, what is? He was an extraordinary devotee and the Divine Poet of the Divine Court of Bhagwan Sri Ramana.. So, He sings:

“The Lord, feeling it to be His responsibility,
Accomplished it and granted it to me.”

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil