Author Topic: Self-surrender and its meaning as revealed by Maha Guru Bhagwan Sri Ramana  (Read 68754 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear all,

What is total surrender or Self surrender?  Let us see a few instances in Sri Bhagavan's life.

1. When Venkataraman arrived at Tiruvannamalai on Sept 1, 1896, he went embraced Arunachaleswara Lingam.  He came out.
Some barber asked whether He would like to have a tonsure. He simply said Yes.

2. Rains came on that September mid morning,. Unexpected rains! For people who deem it fit that Venkataraman should have
a bath, the answer is rains have bathed Him.

3. He tore His dhoti. He took a piece and wore it as a coupina.  HE DID NOT KEEP ANOTHER PORTION FOR AN ALTERNATIVE
COUPINA.

4. He threw away the sweetmeats given by Muthukrishna Bhagavatar's sister on the previous day. HE DID NOT KEEP IT. HE
NEVER THOUGHT: OKAY, I SHALL KEEP THIS TO EAT WHEN I GET HUNGRY BY 4 PM.

5. He threw away the remaining annas and paises. HE DID NOT KEEP THE CHANGE FOR HIS NIGHT DINNER. HE NEVER EVEN
THOUGHT ABOUT IT.

Now. No place to go and rest. No source for next time food. No water to drink.

THIS IS TOTAL SURRENDER.  He had kept the small fire (Agni kunju) in His Heart. The fire grew big and burnt all the desires in Him. (vendhu thaNinthathu kAdu.)

Sri Bhagavan Himself has once said that He lost every thing excepting the fire burning in Him.

Arunachala Siva,.           

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Thank you so much, sir. Experience of 'I AM' is "JUST BE". Silence is 'I'. As you said, 'I AM' alone (Sri Bhagwan is the Space of Pure Consciousness--'I AM') is self-surrender.

Regards,
  Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Subramanian/Friends,

Verse 7 of Nava MaNi MAlai:

aNNAmalaiyAi aDi yenai Anda vanRe Avi-yudal
konDAi ennakkOr kuRai-yundO!kuRaiyunGuNamum nee yalAl
eNNen ivaRRai yennuyire ennam eduvO adhu seivAi
kaNNE undran kazhal-inaiyiR kAdhal perukke taru-vAye!

As aNNAmalai ,That very day  Thou took possession of soul and Body ,taking charge of this serf, ;
Do I lack anything?Other than Thee, Flaw and  Virtue -These I count Not,Oh My Life!
Do as Thou willeth,Oh Beloved! To Thine Twin Feet,Grant only Abundant  Love!

Sri Bhagavan gives the key to SaranAgathi-When Love Supreme wells up there is saranAgathi.

Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Quote:
“Do as Thou willeth,Oh Beloved! To Thine Twin Feet,Grant only Abundant Love!

Sri Bhagavan gives the key to SaranAgathi-When Love Supreme wells up there is saranAgathi.”

Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes. Thank you so much. Sri Bhagwan says that love means one has love towards one’s own Self. When we talk of love, there is duality—the person who loves and the entity called God is loved. But Sri Bhawan says that the individual is not separate from God. Hence, love means love for one’s own Self.
Sri Bhagwan says that man loves money most, but he loves his son more than the money, his own body more than his son, his indriyas more than the body, the eye most among the organs, life more than the eyes, prana or life more than the body, and Self more than even life itself.
SRI BHAGWAN SAYS THAT A MAN WHO DESIRES TO HAVE THE BLISS OF THE SELF  WOULD BE READY TO EVEN LOSE HIS LIFE, IF NECESSARY. THEREFORE, SELF IS LOVED EVEN MORE THAN THE LIFE ITSELF.
Dear Sri Ravi, Sri Bhagwan says very significantly that the IDEA OF A PERSON IN LOVING GOD IS ONLY WITH A VIEW TO BEING HAPY HIMSELF. But God is the embodiment of happiness. Hence who else is to be loved ? LOVE ITSELF IS GOD, SAYS SRI BHAGWAN.

Sri Bhawan says that if by saying, ‘I do not love this; I do not love that’, one rejects all things, that which remains is SWARUPA, I.E. THE INNATE SELF. That is Pure Bliss. That is devotion, that is Realisation and that is everything.

The above implies that first a person loves what is good. That means one must first love and then reject the thing one loves. If, in this manner, one goes on rejecting everything, what remains is the Self alone.
This is the real love.
ONE WHO KNOWS THE SECRET OF THAT LOVE FINDS THE WORLD ITSELF FULL OF UNIVERSAL LOVE.

Dear Sri Ravi, yes, when Love Supreme wells up, there is saranAgathi.

Thank you,
  Anil     

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Anil,
We only need to ask ourselves-Do we require explanation for Love?Do we need thoughts to describe Love.The Beauty of Love is that it is causeless and quells thoughts all at once,immediately without any process.
Even in ordinary Parlance Love Gives itself and accepts even suffering!Love is beyond suffering and Happiness as it is understood in common parlance.It is what makes Ranti Deva pray to the Lord (in Srimad Bhagavatham)that the entire suffering of all beings in the world be transferred to him!
Love is when thoughts cease.
This is how Sri Ramakrishna says so simply:
"In the kirtan the devotee first sings, 'Nitai amar mata hati.' As the devotional mood
deepens, he simply sings, 'Hati! Hati!' Next, all he can sing is 'Hati'. And last of all he
simply sings, 'Ha!' and goes into samadhi. The man who has been singing all the while then
becomes speechless
."
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dear Friends,

Thirumoolar revealed ages ago in his Thirumandiram, Anbe Sivam (love or compassion, itself is Sivam)

When we try to describe this love, it is verily an attempt to describe the attribute-less, the Brahman, the Atmam, which is beyond the grasp of mind.

Another name for Atma, Self, is love or compassion.

What is conveyed by Ananda in Sat Chit Ananda, is this very love, or, compassion.

When we read books about Bhagavan or Ramakrishna, immersed in bliss, it is immersed in this Anandam, this love, perennial   flow. I, once again, reflect here, with these thoughts, about the unlimitedness of the moment.

So long we are limited to the moment, the love, the compassion, that we reflect would be limited before the massiveness or the unlimited ness of the moment or the Self. So long the difference between the moment and me exists, so long difference exists.

But, it is frightening (perhaps?) to jump into the moment, like Sri Ravi mentioned elsewhere, are we (salt) willing to jump into the ocean and get lost? for ever? are we truly ready to become the ocean? the moment? the Self? the love? the compassion? i reflect in wonder....

Anbe Sivam
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear all,

Perumal Swami after giving endless trouble to Sri Bhagavan and the Asramam, finally gave up, soon became sick and was dying.
Sri Bhagavan had arranged to send some ganji to him where he was staying.  He once told Sri Bhagavan, before his death:
I am sure to go to hell (for all that I have done to you). Sri Bhagavan said: Do not worry. I shall be there to help you out.

(I do not remember  the exact conversation and this is what that had been exchanged.)

Sri Bhagavan proved Himself to be the Self that is Love with these words.

Again His treatment of the egg that had the shell slightly broken, when it was mistakenly dropped while  touching the bamboo beams.

His treatment of nondi paiyan - the lame monkey.

His offer to the swarm of bees, His left thigh, which had disturbed the nest.

His acceptance of orange juice from wife of Dr. P.V. Karamchandani, the doctor who was attending to Him on the last day.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Dear Sri Ravi,

Yes, the Love Sri Bhagwan speaks of is beyond thoughts and speech, for Self is Love, Love is God.  And love we speak of, love for an object, Sri Bhagwan says, is of an inferior order and cannot endure (Talk—433). However, so long as ego is in charge, words and thoughts are inescapable, as we all are aware. Self, Love, Bhakti and Jnana are a matter of experience and not for words. Non-duality is not a vada but EXPERIENCE.
Self is Love. Love is God. Therefore, it follows that Rasa, Ananda, Peace, Bliss are all names for the Self. Sri Bhagwan says that TO REALISE PEACE, OR BLISS, OR LOVE, ONE REALISES THE SELF.

Thank you,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Those whose hearts are habitually focussed devoutly on the feet of God, like a magnetic needle that always aligns itself to point to the north, will not get mentally perplexed and lose their bearings in the world, that sea of desires and attachments.
                                                            V. 734, GVK, Edited By Sri David Godman

Dear Devotees,
Even if the devoutly focussed is led astray by the thought force, his attention is led back to be riveted to the Feet of the Lord by the sheer force of his devotion and Grace, much like the magnetic needle that is always aligned to point to north.
Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan says that complete surrender to God means giving up all thoughts and concentrating the mind on Him. If our attention is devoutly focussed, or if we concentrate on the Feet of the Lord, other thoughts disappear. This, Sri Bhagwan says, means that the actions of the mind, speech and body are merged with  God, all the burdens of our life will be only on Him.
Dear devotes, we do not calculate or estimate at every step as we walk on the ground—whether we should raise one leg after the other etc. Walking is done automatically. So also with the inhaling and exhaling—no special effort is made to either inhale or exhale. SRI BHAGWAN SAYS THAT THE SAME IS THE CASE WITH THE LIFE ALSO. CAN WE GIVE UP ANYTHING IF WE WANT TO OR DO ANYTHING AS WE PLEASE ? I think that most of us must have arrived by now at the wisdom—certainly not.

Sri Bhagwan, however, says that before one surrenders, one should know who is it that one surrenders. Unless all thoughts are given up, there cannot be surrender. Obviously, when all thoughts are given up, if there are no thoughts, what remains is the Self. Therefore, surrender will be only to one’s Self.
Sri Bhagwan says that if surrender is in terms of Bhakti, attention is devoutly focussed and burdens are thrown on Him. And if surrender is in terms of Karma, karma should be performed without the sense of doership until one knows one’s Self.

The result is the same in either case.

HENCE, SURRENDER, AS REVEALED BY MAHA GURU BHAGWAN SRI RAMANA,  MEANS TO ENQUIRE AND KNOW ABOUT ONE’S OWN SELF AND THEN REMAIN IN THE SELF. WHAT IS THERE APART FROM THE SELF, HE ASKS.

Thank you,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Devotee: Swami, how can people like us be saved from our materialistic outlook? If we ask, you will surely say, ‘It is enough if you go on with Self-enquiry—who am I?’ How is that possible for us who are family people and our respective jobs? If the mind goes on with worldly affairs, how can we get peace of mind?

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan simply remained silent and didn’t reply to the above question. Next day when an Asramite referring to Sri Bhagwan’s Silence over the quoted question of the devotee asks, “ Why Bhagwan ? Does it mean that no one can become a Realized Soul, a Jnani, unless he lives in a solitary place like that?
Sri Bhagwan : Who said that ? The nature of the mind is determined by its former actions, its samskaras. People are able to continue to do all their work and yet pursue their Self-enquiry and ultimately become Realized Souls. Janaka, Vasishta, Rama, Krishna and others like them, are examples of this. Again, for some it would appear impossible to do this and they have to go to solitary places to become Realized Souls through SELF-ENQUIRY. Of these, Sanaka, Sanandana, Suka, Vamdeva, are amongst the examples.  SELF-ENQUIRY IS ESSENTIAL FOR WHOMEVER IT MAY BE. It is called human effort. The course of our body follows according to our fate. WHAT MORE CAN WE SAY ABOUT IT?
                                  Source: Letters From Sri Ramanasramam

THE GURU SAYS THAT THE SELF-ENQUIRY IS ESSENTIAL FOR WHOMEVER HE MAY BE.

Thank you,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Dear Devotees,

Shining is always there. Is it not ? ‘I am this’ or ‘I am that’ is the ego. The ego is not, or at best transitory, but shining is always there.

How is one to know the Self ?
The most important is to understand the question as to who is to know the Self. Can the body know It? Sri Bhagwan says, “Let the body answer. Who says that the body is perceived now ?”
Sri Bhagwan asks, “Can you say that you do not know the Self ?”
Dear devotees, Knowing or seeing the Self is being the Self. Though we cannot see our own eyes and even if not provided with a mirror, we do not deny the existence of our eyes. Similarly, says Sri Bhagwan that we are aware of the Self even though the Self is not objectified. OR, DO WE DENY OUR SELF BECAUSE IT IS NOT OBJECTIFIED AS BODY, OBJECTS AND WORLD, ETC.?

Therefore, dear devotees, when we say that ‘we cannot know the Self’, it means only ABSENCE OF KNOWLEDGE OF THE SELF IN TERMS OF RELATIVE OR OBJECTIVE KNOWLEDGE.  BECAUSE WE ARE SO MUCH USED TO THE RELATIVE KNOWLEDGE OR OBJECTIVE KNOWLEDGE THAT WE IDENTIFY OURSELVES WITH IT. Do we not?  Such wrong identification has forged the difficulty of not knowing the obvious Self because it cannot be objectified.
Who is to know the Self ?
Answer: Can the body know It ?
SHINING IS ALWAYS THERE . Silence is always there even in the absence of mind and intellect, say in deep sleep. SILENCE IS ‘I’. That silence, that ‘I’ is always there. DO WE NOT KNOW IT ?

Dear devotees, this, in my view, is a great clue to return HOME the way we came.

Thank you,
  Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Anil,
Thanks very much.Perhaps you may like to use the convenient features -see the characters marked B I U ,etc below the 'Post Reply 'Frame.You may be able to either make the characters Bold or in Italics-those that you want to emphasize.In case you want to quote Sri Bhagavan,you may use the quote key,next to the # figure in the second row.All one needs to do is to click at both the ends of the passage that one wants to highlight(it will be highlighted)and then click the buttons B or I or 'Quote' symbol.Just try experimenting and use the preview to see how the message will show up.After you are reasonably satisfied ,you may click the post key to post it.These are some very good features offered here.Just give it a try.
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dear Sri Anil,

yes, that would be great if you are able to highlight poignant quotes.

Dear devotees, this, in my view, is a great clue to return HOME the way we came.

I felt, this is not just a clue to return home the way we came, but it subtly indicates, we already in our home, only we peak outside, by putting our heads outside the window.

Friends, in this regard, please watch this ---->CLICK HERE<----

For the benefit of other new members, those who are interested to watch the entire documentary on Bodhidharma teachings, may ---->CLICK HERE<---- for the links.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Dear Sri Ravi and Sr Nagaraj,

Thank you so much.

Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Dear Sri Udai,

Yes. Thank you so much. For me, Sri Bhagwan's Teaching on the one hand, and Enquiry and Surrender, as taught by Him on the other, are my two eyes.

Thank you,
    Anil