Author Topic: Self-surrender and its meaning as revealed by Maha Guru Bhagwan Sri Ramana  (Read 74377 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
கொதறுமெய்ஞ் ஞானக் கொழுந்தாங் குருமுர்த்தி
பாதமது சந்திக்கும் பான்மையொர்க் கெதமறு
பத்திதரு மந்தப் பரனருளான் மெய்jய்ஞான
தித்திவருஞ் சித்தந் தெளிந்து
(GVK 305)

Kodarrumeyn. Nyaannnak Kozhundaang Gurumurtti
Paadamadu Sandikkum Paannnmaiyork Kedamarru
Pattitaru Mandap Parannnarullaannn Meyjynyaannna
Tittivarun. Sitdan Tellindu

Who meditates on Guru's feet, the flawless flame of pure awareness, gains from grace supreme the gift of pure awareness, clarity of mind that ends all sorrow.

therefore, True meaning of Guru Padukas, the feet of Guru, lies within oneself, as that awareness, shining effulgence, and seeking that effulgence constantly is the true essence of Prostration, surrender. And, when one touches that feet of awareness, one is free of all sorrows. This is the true essence of Guru Paduka Worship.

Prostrations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Devotee: Why did the Self manifest as this miserable world?
Sri Bhagwan : In order that you might seek it. Your eyes cannot see themselves. Place a mirror before them and they see themselves. Similarly with this creation.

“SEE YOURSERLF FIRST AND THEN SEE THE WHOLE WORLD AS THE SELF”

Talk—272

Dear Devotees,

Here Sri Bhagwan  is not teaching that one should shut his eyes from the world. He is teaching that first one should see oneself and then see the world as the Self. At present the world appears to be external to us, but that is only with respect to the body. Because we consider ourselves at present to be the body. If we are the Self, the world appears as the Brahman. 

We are not apart from God. But so long as we consider ourselves to be the body, we see the world as external and myriad imperfections appear to us. However, Sri Bhagwan says that GOD IS PERFECTION. HIS WORK IS ALSO PERFECTION. BUT WE SEE IT AS IMPERFECTION BECAUSE OF OUR WRONG IDENTIFICATION.

Devotee: So it amounts to this—that I should always look within.
Sri Bhagwan: YES.

Thank you,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Anil,

See the world after knowing the Self. Then the whole world will be Brahmaswarupam.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Dear Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Self is verily the Brahman.  ‘Seeing the Self’ or being the Self’ means ‘being the Self’. If one is  Self, the whole world then is the Self or the Swarupam. If one is Self or the Swarupam the whole world is Brahmaswarupam.     

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
  The second line in my last post should read 'Seeing the Self or 'knowing the Self' means 'being the Self'.' Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Anil,

Once one of the earliest devotees, Akhilandamma (from Desur; she was a devotee of both Seshadri Swami and Sri Bhagavan)
came and asked Sri Bhagavan to tell her some mantra which she could chant. Sri Bhagavan  said: What mantra can I give?
Always keep saying to Arunachala - ennaiye enakku kodu. Please give me my Self.

Asking Arunachala to give back my Self (without the little 'i' making farces) is the highest surrender.

Saint Manikkavachagar sang: I do not want glory to myself. I do not want wealth.  I do not want this earth or the heaven.
I do not want birth and death. I do not want even to touch those who do not want Sivam. I had the golden feet of Siva of
tiruperundurai. I do not want to go away from that. I do not want you to leave me and go elsewhere!
(UyiruNNi pathu, Decad on the ego eater, Verse 7).

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Seeing God without seeing oneself, the seer of the objects seen, is seeing but a mental image. He who, by losing the base (ego) sees the Self, the source of himself, alone truly sees God, because Self is not other than God.
                                                                                            V.20, Ulladu Narpadu

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan says that there is no one who has not seen God. God vision is natural to all. Ignorance consists in not being aware of this natural experience of truth. Ego which is of the form ‘I am the body’ is the wrong knowledge. Loss of ego means gaining God. KNOWING ONESELF IS KNOWING GOD, AND KNOWING GOD IS ONLY ABIDING AS THE SELF. Therefore, Self-realisation is God-realisation. Self and God are not different.
“THE CONSCIOUSNESS WITHIN, PURGED OF THE MIND, IS FELT AS GOD.”

Thank you,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Quote:
“I do not want even to touch those who do not want Sivam. I had the golden feet of Siva of
tiruperundurai. I do not want to go away from that. I do not want you to leave me and go elsewhere!”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

I remember that once you posted the esoteric meaning of Tiruperundurai as the ’Shore of Liberation’. So, having reached the Golden Feet of Shiva of the Shore of Liberation, all is Shivam only for Him. Whatever He touches is Shivam; wherever He goes it is the Golden Feet of Shiva of Tiruperundurai.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
WHAT DOES BHAGWAN SRI RAMANA MEAN TO YOU ?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Anil,

Sri Ramana Bhagavan means to me that He is the one and only Guru who can take me ashore!

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Spreading afar the light of Self-enquiry
And enriching each beholder’s being to ripeness,
May my Father’s Presence in this temple
Serve as the living heart of all earth’s creeds
And shine for ever beyond the sun and the moon.
                                                Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Thank you so much, sir, for your response. I also have the same faith. For me, as for many, many others, His Grace is the beginning, middle, and the end.

Regards,
  Anil   

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Question: What is unconditional surrender?
Sri Ramana Maharshi: If one surrenders oneself there will be no one to ask questions or to be thought of. Either the thoughts are eliminated by holding on to the root-thought ‘I’, or one surrenders oneself unconditionally to the highest power. These are the only two ways for realization.

This reminds me that we don't know what real surrender is. Do we really surrender something? When we go to church or temple may be the only thing we surrender is the time spent there or some money for candles. Do we really surrender something by our heart? The real surrender I have been witnessed is parent's surrender to their children. They really give everything to their children by all the heart they have and all the love they are capable of.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Dear Devotees,

What follows is a passage from an article named “WHAT I SAW IN SRI BHAGWAN”, written by  the famous devotee, Sri Duncan Greenlees and published in the ‘Golden Jubilee Souvenir, 1946’:

“His Message comes in many forms, according to the needs of those who come to Him. Once a party of Muslims came. They asked Him, “Sir, what is the highest goal of human life?” In one word He gave the whole essence of spiritual truth, the heart of their great religion as of every other.  He said, “Islam”. That is the secret of His greatness, perfect simplicity. Islam, self-surrender to the Supreme Being, whom we delight in knowing and loving as God; Islam alone can bring Salam, or Peace. The only real Peace,  which is eternal, infinite, divine is that which flows in upon, wells up from, floods and floats the soul that throws itself away in loving surrender to the Good Father, from whom and in whom all are, to whom all shall return at last. Statesmen try to build a world peace in vain while they ignore the only possible foundation for true peace."

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
I say that I have surrendered,
But what have I given up?
It’s easy to talk in this fashion
Though it’s nothing but empty words,
Which come from the tongue to glibly
In a sentimental way.

I am tired of all talk and no action,
But better than either of these
Is the Silence of the Spirit,
The Silence we find with You, (Sri Bhagwan)
A potent and thundering Silence
Which swallows all up in itself.
 Sri Sadhu Arunachala (Major A.W. Chadwick)

Dear Devotees,

Sri Chadwick goes on singing that when there is no longer the talk of surrender, then alone has surrender begun.
In the culminating phases of the Self-enquiry, the mind becomes perfectly still and the seeker has to keep his AIM firmly fixed on the Self, and steadfastly maintain the Self-attention inwardly with an attitude of prayerfulness and wait for the Self to reveal Itself. Dear devotees, what happens from here now does not depend on our effort. In fact, such a seeker and devotee has reached a state of effortlessness and he cannot make any further effort. One enters the Realm of Grace and the remaining task is accomplished by the Grace alone.
When we persevere in this supreme method of Enquiry, we gradually, as the ‘I’-consciousness begins to separate itself from the body and the mind, begin to perceive that all our actions of the body and the mind go on without the participation of the ‘I’ in these—the ‘I’ remaining merely an unattached witness of these actions. IT  IS  THEN  THAT  THE  CONVICTION  GRADUALLY  GROWS  THAT  EVERYTHING  IS  BEING  ORDAINED  AND  CONTROLLED  BY  A  HIGHER  POWER. With this recognition, one submits and surrenders to this Higher Power. The ego, which has been  nurtured and strengthened from time immemorial, birth after birth, now submits itself, willingly, to be struck down by the Supreme Self  or devoured, lock, stock and barrel. THIS  IS  THE COMPLETE  SELF-SURRENDER  AND  THE  PERFECT   MANIFESTATION  OF  GRACE   AS  REVEALED  BY  THE  MAHAGURU BHAGWAN  SRI  RAMANA.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
   Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Anil,

In surrender, the devotee keeps his ego and finally he leaves the ego also to totally surrender to Sri Bhagavan.  Whereas in
Self Inquiry, the ego/mind is first jettisoned, and the mind becomes curled up in the Self.  Sri Bhagavan says that both are
like two sides of the same coin and both are equally difficult.

Arunachala Siva.