Author Topic: Self-surrender and its meaning as revealed by Maha Guru Bhagwan Sri Ramana  (Read 66690 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Contnd from my last post:

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has taught that to abide as one really is in the Heart, one must love the Self. Unless one loves the Self as one’s own Swarupa, it is impossible to abide as the Self in the Heart.

The Self is of the Nature of Happiness—Sukha Swarupa. Has not every being love flowing towards itself? When one realises the Atma-Swarupa, devoid of ego, the Supreme Lord shines as one’s own Self.

When love natural melts towards the Supreme Lord and reaches there where abides the Beloved—the Supreme Consciousness who is the same as Sri Arunachala or Sri Bhagwan, He reveals Himself as Pure Knowledge and that is Jnana. Therefore, Atma-Jnana is also called by another name ‘Parabhakti’ or the Supreme Devotion. Hence, Sri Bhagwan teaches that ‘Parabhakti’ and Atma-Jnana are not different.

Thank you,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Dear Devotees,

Sri Adi Shankara sings  in ‘Sivananda Lahiri’:

Bhakti is a matter only for experience and not for words. How can logic and other polemics be of any real use ? INSTEAD, THINK OF THE FEET OF THE EVER BLISSFUL LORD AND DRINK THE NECTAR!

Wherever or however it be, only let the mind lose itself in the Supreme. It is Yoga! It is Bliss. OR THE YOGI OR THE BLISS INCARNATE!

To worship God with flowers and other external objects is troublesome. Only lay the single flower, the heart, at the feet of Siva and remain at Peace. NOT TO KNOW THIS SIMPLE THING AND TO WANDER ABOUT! HOW FOOLISH! WHAT MISERY!

THE MIND LOSING ITSELF IN SIVA’S FEET IS DEVOTION. IGNORANCE LOST! KNOWLEDGE! LIBERATION!
Note: I do not have the exact numbers of the above cited Verses.

Thank you,
    Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear anil,

Only yesterday when I was in Chennai to attend a wedding, an old spiritual lady was talking about Sivananda Lahari to me.
Sri Sankara says: No flowers are required to be submitted. No puja is necessary. Only His names should be chanted silently.
No naivdedyam (food offering) is necessary. Only our monkey mind should be offered to Him. No Oblations are needed.
Cry and cry and give the tears to Him and this is the oblations.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“Sri Sankara says: No flowers are required to be submitted. No puja is necessary. Only His names should be chanted silently.
No naivdedyam (food offering) is necessary. Only our monkey mind should be offered to Him. No Oblations are needed.
Cry and cry and give the tears to Him and this is the oblations.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

No flower, no puja, only His Name should be chanted silently.
No naivedyam, no oblation, only monkey mind should be offered to Him.
CRY, CRY, AND CRY, AND GIVE ONLY TEARS IN OBLATION TO HIM.

This indeed is a very beautiful and inspiring Verse. Thank you so much, sir.

Dear sir, I have not read Sri Adi Shankara’s Shivananda Lahiri. But whenever I read cited Verses from the great work, they touched and inspired me greatly.
Before coming to Sri Bhagwan, I had not studied a single work by Sri Adi Shankara, though I regarded Him a great spiritual teacher on Advaita who revived ‘Sanatana Dharma’. But when I came to Sri Bhagwan, I gradually understood His Greatness. And since then, I have studied Viveka Chudamani, Atma Bodha, etc. composed by Him.  Now I also know that the essence of His Teaching is the same as Sri Bhagwan.

Regards,
  Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear anil,

Sri Adi Sankara's Sivananda Lahari is a beautiful poem of 100 verses on Siva. It is full of bhatki. It will be delightful to see
a Brhama Jnani who went to the pinnacle of Jnana at the age of 8 in the presence of Govinda Bhagavadpada to come down
to our level and compose many short stotras and long poems like Sri Sivananda Lahari for us.  Sri Sankara also wrote Sri
Soundarya Lahari describing the incomparable beauty of Mother but there, there are many mantras embedded. One should
read them carefully without pronunciation mistakes and built in mantras should be initiated by a guru in Sakta marga well
versed and competent.  Sivananda Lahari is not so. It is a beautiful and poem of sheer devotion. Both the books are
available in Sri Ramakrishna Math, with Sanskrit slokas and English meanings.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Quote from Sivananda Lahari:
“Wherever or however it be, only let the mind lose itself in the Supreme. It is Yoga! It is Bliss. OR THE YOGI OR THE BLISS INCARNATE!

To worship God with flowers and other external objects is troublesome. Only lay the single flower, the heart, at the feet of Siva and remain at Peace. NOT TO KNOW THIS SIMPLE THING AND TO WANDER ABOUT! HOW FOOLISH! WHAT MISERY!

THE MIND LOSING ITSELF IN SIVA’S FEET IS DEVOTION. IGNORANCE LOST! KNOWLEDGE! LIBERATION!”

Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir”
“It will be delightful to see
a Brhama Jnani who went to the pinnacle of Jnana at the age of 8 in the presence of Govinda Bhagavadpada to come down
to our level and compose many short stotras and long poems like Sri Sivananda Lahari for us.”

By composing a beautiful and sublime poem of 100 Verses on the devotion to Lord Siva, such as, Sivananda Lahari, I do not think that the Great Acharya descended from the pinnacle of Jnana and came down to our level. For example, these sublime verses below also imply that Jnana and Bhakti are the same besides portraying ‘ananya Bhakti’ to the Lord Shiva. 

“Wherever or however it be, only let the mind lose itself in the Supreme. It is Yoga! It is Bliss. OR THE YOGI OR THE BLISS INCARNATE!

THE MIND LOSING ITSELF IN SIVA’S FEET IS DEVOTION. IGNORANCE LOST! KNOWLEDGE! LIBERATION!”

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
That which should be attained is true Jnana; that which the mind should meditate upon is the feet of God; that on which one should firmly depend upon is satsang; that which should well up in the Heart is peace.
                                               V. 501, GVK, Edited by Sri D.Godman

Sri Muruganar comments that the phrase, ‘that which should well up in the Heart is peace’, explains the greatness of the stillness which is known as the Peace, and the phrase, ‘that which the mind should meditate upon is the Feet of God’, implies surrender.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
By turning towards the Self, a person should dive within and enquire, ‘Who is the bogus entity who says “I”?’ Through that enquiry he should die willingly in the Atma-swarupa, which is devoid of the ego, and which is the true form of God. The excellence of the state of mauna that then shines, and with which he is indistinguishably merged, is the consummation of the practice of surrender.
                             V. 1189, GVK, Edited by Sri D. Godman

Dear Devotees,

The ego being unreal, it should die consciously, willingly and deliberately in Vichara. To renounce the ego thus is to offer up one’s self in surrender and to be absorbed, through surrender of the self, in the non-dual state of Mauna, is the Supreme Truth. One is then indistinguishably merged in the excellence of the state of Mauna in which dualistic appearances do not arise. This is the perfect consummation of the practice of surrender.
The cited Verse also explains that God is not different from Atma-swarupa. Atma-swarupa alone is the true form of God.
ONE IS. THE TRUE FORM OF GOD IS THE NATURAL STATE OF PURE BEING.

Thank you,
  Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Devotee : How can one worship God best?
Sri Bhagwan : How can you best worship God? Why, by not trying to worship him, by giving up your whole self to him, and showing that every thought, every action, is only a working of that One Life (God).

Dear Devotees,

God works perfectly in our unconscious virtuous actions. Sri Bhagwan says that even a Master, when instructing, is far from any thought of instructing. To feel a doubt or a difficulty in His Presence is to elicit the wonderful words which will clear away that doubt or the difficulty. Those words, being words of Grace, never fail. A Master with His heart fixed on God, realising perfectly that no action is a personal one, making no claim to have either originated the thought or to have been the means of destroying a doubt, saying ‘I’ or ‘Mine’ seeing only God in every thought and action, whether they be yours or His, feels no surprise, no special pleasure to Himself in having allayed your doubt. He never desires to feel pleasures.
He says:
Who is it that feels pleasure ? Why, God.
What is pleasure?
Why the appreciation-instinctive or otherwise of God.
Who is the so called ‘I’?
‘I’ is God.
God is pleasure. If I desire perpetual pleasure, I must forget myself, and be that which is pleasure itself, viz., God.
                                                                                        Source: Know Thyself, Sri A. R. Natarajan.

Thank you,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Devotee: I long for Bhakti. I want more of this longing. Even realization does not matter to me. Let me be strong in my longing.

Sri Bhagwan : If the longing is there, realization will be forced on you  even if you do not want it.

Dear Devotees,

That is it. Longing for Bhakti! Sri Bhagwan says that we should long for it intensely so that the mind melts in devotion.. After camphor burns away no residue is left. The mind is like the camphor. When it is merged or resolved into the Self, without  leaving slightest trace behind, it is Realisation of the Self.

Thank you,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear anil,

Saint Manikkavazchagar says: (Tiruk kazhum kunRa padigam - Verse 3:

pooNonAtha thor anbu pooNdu porunthi nAL thorum poRRavum
nAnAthor nANam eithi naduk kadaluL azhunthi nAn
PeNonAtha perunthuRai perunth thoNi paRRi uhaithalum
kAnonAtha thiruk kolam nee vanthu kAttinAi kazhukkunRile....

I had the love for you, which I have not had before, I always came to You everyday to praise your glory!
I became shy towards you which I have not had before, now I am in deep sea drowning
You came as a boat in Tiruperundurai and I took hold of it,.
You showed me your form which I had not seen before, in Tiruk kazhuk kunRam.

Unlimited love, unlimited praise and glory towards god. Getting shy occasionally about my inadequacy.
But the boat came which I gripped in Tiruperundurai.
You showed me your form which I had not seen before.

Arunachala Siva.     

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dear i,

the same verse in tamizh:

பூணொணாததொரன்பு பூண்டு பொருந்திநாள்தொறும் போற்றரும்
நாணொணாததொர்நாணம் எய்தி நடுக்கடலுள் அழுந்திநான்
பேணொணாதபெருந்துறைப்பெருந் தோணிபற்றியுகைத்தலுங்
காணொணாத்திருக்கோலம் நீவந்து காட்டினாய் கழுக்குன்றிலே.

Prostrations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Nagaraj,

Sri Bhagavan has also mentioned this verse on some occasion.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Quote:
“You showed me your form which I had not seen before, in Tiruk kazhuk kunRam”.

Thank you so much, sir, for posting this sublime Verse. The Great Saint and the Sage, Sri Mannikavachhagar’s Utterance is the quint essence of the unparalleled and unwavering devotion to the Lord. His longing is so palpable. How I wish to have the same love in my heart, to have the capacity to emulate Him !

Dear sir, what does ‘Tirk kazhuk kunRam’ mean in the cited line of the Verse  ? I also wish to know as to why ‘Tiruperundurai’ seems to be closely associated with His Name. I understand that it must be a spiritual centre somewhere in the great Tamil land and also that it is somehow closely associated with His Name.

Dear sir, I am still awaiting to have from you the issue numbers of the Mountain Path in which English translation of the Verses from the great Tiruvaccakam have been published. Besides, you also hinted that there is an English translation of the same in existence and therefore I hoped to have the source as well as the publisher’s name from you of the book also.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Anil,

TiruperunduRai is a town, nowadays called Avudaiyar Kovil near Nagapattinam. Esoterically tiruperun durai also means the Great
Shore, the shore of liberation, when one swims across the ocean of samsara and reach to.

tiru kazhukundram is again a town. It is near Chingelput in Tamizh Nadu. Here the Saint had his second darshan of Guru, Shiva.
First he had it in tiruperundurai.

In tirukazhu kundram, two vultures promptly come at 11 am everyday and take the cooked rice given by the priest. The two
vultures are said to be two rishis. kundram means hillock. The temple of Siva is on the hillock. kazhuku in Tamizh means vulture.

Arunachala Siva.,