Author Topic: Self-surrender and its meaning as revealed by Maha Guru Bhagwan Sri Ramana  (Read 71429 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Anil,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan said both self inquiry and surrender are one and the same. In self inquiry, the ego is first jettisoned and
realization happens. In surrender, you proceed with ego, do prayers, japas, pujas etc.,  and finally when you totally surrender,
the ego is submitted to God or Guru.  This is what Sri Bhagavan meant by saying Nin ishtam ; en ishtam. Your Wish is my wish.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir and Sri sanjay_ganesh,

Ji. Yes. Surrender implies Faith and complete Surrender implies complete, unqualified and unconditional Faith in His protection and guidance. One proceeds with the ego to begin with, does puja, japa, worship, etc. and Faith deepens i.e. spirit of surrender gradually grows and intensifies. And when Faith grows to be unqualified and unconditional such that His wish becomes the devotee’s wish, ego is finally surrendered to God or the Guru. This is complete Surrender or what is known as self-Surrender.

Sri Bhagwan says that ego submits only when it recognises the Higher Power. This is the beginning of Surrender. Although the ego does not exist apart from the Self but because of lack of awareness of this truth, it remains rebellious and thinks that it acts and it takes initiative by its own free-will.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Devotee : I am a novice in spiritual matters. A friend of mine advised that surrender to God is the best way. I have surrendered to God but he has not enlightened me on the spiritual path. Please extend your grace.
Sri Bhagwan : Oh! You have surrendered, is it ? How then do you say that God has not done anything? IT ONLY MEANS THAT YOU HAVE NOT UNDERSTOOD THE TRUE IMPORT OF SURRENDER. You should place yourself completely at God’s disposal and expect no return.
Devotee : Now I realise that my understanding of surrender was defective. Please guide me correctly.
Sri Bhagwan : You say that grace is required. Your coming here expecting guidance is itself God’s grace. The same grace will continue if your surrender is total and unreserved. You need not ask anything. Try to get rid of ‘I’ and ‘Mine’. Don’t feel anything is yours. It is all God’s.
                                             Source: Leaves from the Diary. 

Dear Devotees,

HAVING MADE THE IDOL OF LORD GANESHA OUT OF JAGGERY, THE WAYFARER PINCHES OUT A SMALL BIT OF JAGGERY FROM THE IDOL ITSELF AND OFFERS TO THE DEITY AS OFFERING. Sri Bhawan says that it does not occur to him that in the very act of pinching out a bit of jaggery, he is defiling the Idol whom he wants to worship, little realising that he has made both the worship and the offering worthless.
Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan says that our very idea of self-surrender is nothing better than the offering made by the wayfarer.
Existence is One. By presuming our existence as something apart from the Supreme Being, we have defiled it.
Therefore, whether we surrender ourselves or not we are never apart from that Supreme Being.

So, the ideas, such as, ‘I am the body’ and therefore ‘I am the doer’ are the chief obstacles. These ideas come in the way of Surrender. Therefore, my submission is this that one should, if he can, also practice Vichara, along with Surrender. For, if one practices Atma-Vichara as taught by Sri Bhagwan, the ‘body’ as well as ‘doership’ ideas get gradually eroded and even blasted.

Thank you,
   Anil

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dear i,

We had been to Sri Ramanasramam for 4 days from 21st April. It was a visit of challenges and rewards. The temperature at T'malai
was  40 degrees celsius. Added to this there was power cut for 7 hours per day!  This made us to stay in the Asramam almost the
whole day and this was a reward. We could see the abhishekam, alankaram, and arti in detail for both Mother and
Sri Ramaneswara Mahalingam.  We could sit for book reading in the evening and also the had darshan of evening pujas.
Our visit to the Big Temple was also good in the sense that we proceeded to the Temple early in the morning and had darshan
of Cute Little Father and Cute Little Mother without crowd. It was Krittika day and Kambattu Ilaiyanar's shrine was crowded.
However we waited patiently and had darshan. We bought two books, one by Osborne a reprint of For Those With Little Dust,
containing articles and his editorials  in Mountain Path in sixties. We also bought a book which gives lucid comparison between
Siva Puranam of Manikkavachagar and Sri Ramana Puranam of Muruganar.

Thank you for your detailed description of your visit to Arunachala. I read your posts here as well as from David Godman's blog. For the many of us who are unable to visit Aruanchala often, you fill the vacuum :) with your detailed description.

Gratitude

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:59:59 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dear i,

Bhagavan says,

It is said: 'The self must be offered to him as a gift', what is the meaning of this? Is the self separate from the Supreme One, so
as to be given to Him?

(Guru Ramana Vachana Mala, 109)

Surrendering is pure Jnana. Jnana Mathe, is Bhakti. Bhakti is full of Jnana.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Nagaraj,

Yes. In the initial days of bhakti, the devotee considers himself as separate from God and so there is an individual self -
siRRuyir - says Muruganar. When bhakti blossoms into total surrender, then this individual self or ego is submitted to Self
and there is only unity.

Sri Bhagavan explained this to Lakshmana Sarma (WHO) in Talks No., 639.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Quote:
“Dear i,

Bhagavan says,

It is said: 'The self must be offered to him as a gift', what is the meaning of this? Is the self separate from the Supreme One, so
as to be given to Him?

(Guru Ramana Vachana Mala, 109)

Surrendering is pure Jnana. Jnana Mathe, is Bhakti. Bhakti is full of Jnana.”

Dear Sri Nagaraj,

Surrender is generally associated with dualistic devotional sadhanas. But Sri Bhagwan revealed that true surrender transcended worshipping God in a subject-object relationship. Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching of the path of surrender is radical as is the path of Self-enquiry or Atma-Vichara. It is true that he never discouraged His devotees from following such practices,but He taught that since God alone is, any worshipping of God in a dualistic relationship is illusory.
“To see God is to be God. There is no all apart from God for Him to pervade. He alone is.”
                                                                                            Sri Bhagwan

Dear Sri Nagaraj, yes, Sri Bhagwan says that self-surrender is the same as the mind control. The ego submits itself only when it recognises the higher authority of the Self. This is the beginning of the surrender. Although the ego cannot exist without the Self. Yet, it is ignorant of this truth and therefore remains rebellious and thinks that it acts on its own initiative and by its own free will. So, true surrender is the melting of the ego in the Heart, the Source of all that is. Sri Bhagwan says that GOD SEES IN THE WORSHIPPER AS TO HOW MUCH OF THE EGO REMAINS IN CONTROL AND HOW MUCH IS ON THE VERGE OF DESTRUCTION. He cannot be deceived by outward act of surrendering like saying, ”I surrender.”

However, having stated as the above, I wish to add that Sri Bhagwan said to Sri B. V. Narsimha Swami that as long as one feels that one is different from Him, prayer to Him is legitimate. As long as one feels that one is the doer and there are burdens on him, prayers in respect of them are legitimate. But it is better to attain the state of self-surrender, entrusting one’s entire burden to the Lord, who then takes the burden off one’s back and give the feeling that one is in Him and are One with Him.       
Yes. Bhakti is Jnana Matha.

Thank you so much.
         Anil

Nagaraj

• View Profile
However, having stated as the above, I wish to add that Sri Bhagwan said to Sri B. V. Narsimha Swami that as long as one feels that one is different from Him, prayer to Him is legitimate. As long as one feels that one is the doer and there are burdens on him, prayers in respect of them are legitimate. But it is better to attain the state of self-surrender, entrusting one’s entire burden to the Lord, who then takes the burden off one’s back and give the feeling that one is in Him and are One with Him.       
Yes. Bhakti is Jnana Matha.

Dear i,

This is so very essential. This is a true recognition of oneself where oneself stands. The hallmark of Jnana or Bhakti or Sharanagati is as what Bhagavan has expressed: நானுதியா துள்ளநிலை  நாமதுவா யுள்ளநிலை "Naan Udiyaadulla Nilai Naam Aduvaai Ulla Nilai" "‘That’ we are, when ‘I’ has not arisen"; But we are not yet upto this, i have observed, just knowing this is not enough, one has to be completely pure and free from the 6 doshas, Kama Krodha, Moha, Lobha, Matha, Matsarya - Desire, anger  hatred, greed, miserliness, narrow minded, delusory emotional attachment, pride, stubborn mindedness, envy, jealousy, show or vanity, and pride

This expression of Bhagavan is verily a Maha Vakya. For me, somehow, this elaborates or can we say, even culminates the other 4 mahavakyas of Vedas, such as Aham Brahmasi, Ayamaatma Brahma, Tatvamasi, Prajnaanam Brahma. What Bhagavan has blessed us with, is the revelation of this "Ego", discerning this ego is very critical to true recognition. Unless one knows the ego, it is as good as being lost in a forest, not knowing the way. But like a guide, Bhagavan comes and shows us the way.

You have observed very keenly that, as long as one feels that one is different from Him, prayer to him is legitimate. I have strongly felt, each one of us have to take some अनुष्ठानं Anushtana which means an Undertaking , performance , action , spiritual or good disciplined conduct. Even today, elaborately and meticulously, at Ramanashramam, they carry out various fesivals, according to the shastras and the rules laid out there in. When it comes to Navarathri times, the Veneration of Goddess is very beautiful.

As Sri Adi Shankara rightfully says,  चित्तस्य शुद्धये कर्म Chittasya Shuddhaye Karmanaha Action is for the cleansing of the mind, is very very essential.

Why the Sages have laid अनुष्ठानं Anushtana is because, we will be bound by the rules, by default, we will not give way to the demands of the mind, we will not compromise with our अनुष्ठानं Anushtana. When we practice regularly, by default the mind is slowly brought under control.

Anushatana is verily like the analogy given by Yama to Nachiketha in Katha Upanishad as follows:

Yama's teaching also notably includes the parable of the chariot,

atman, the "Self" is the chariot's passenger
the body is the chariot itself
consciousness (buddhi) is the chariot driver
the mind (manas) is the reins
the five senses (indriya) are the chariot horses
the objects perceived by the senses are the chariot's path

Having Anushtana is properly channelizing oneself as above.

When we look at the lives of devotees, Muruganar, completely renounced everything, including his wife, he was completely doing Self Enquiry, where as Ganapati Muni, lead a normal householder life, he continued with his Anushtanas, Japas, etc... Like this each one of us, have to take up proper Anushtana based on ones own interests and inclinations, whereby, we would be really slowly freeing ourselves from the 6 Doshas, which is when our Jnana can bloom.

Most of us, cannot renounce like Muruganar :) at least, yet! Therefore, it is essential one takes up a regular अनुष्ठानं Anushtana.

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:05:43 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Nagaraj,

What is true self surrender?  Nothing is mine. All have been made over to you.  Even my ego is made over to you. When
Sri Bhagavan came to Big Temple on the morning of 1st Sept. 1896, He went straight to Arunacahleswara and embraced Him
and told Him: As per your command I have come. (The rest of my job is all yours).  Arunachaleswara knew it. Sri Bhagavan  went
out and it rained unusually and this was abhishekam done by Arunachaleswara to His son.  Some barber  came and sought to know
whether He could be tonsured. Oh, this is also my Father's intention. He agreed. Then He tore His dhoti and took a quarter or even
less portion to make a coupina. The rest of the cloth was thrown away. He did not preserve it for an alternate coupina. He threw
away the sweetmeats given by the sister of Muthukrishna Bhagavatar. He threw away the remaining money after spending for the
rail way fare. Now He become totally free. No possessions. No possessor too. The possessor has been eaten away already by
the God within. Now a person who is not a possessor - how can He have possessions?  This is total surrender.

There is a funny story in Sri Bhagavan's times. In the Hill, Sadhus used to take Ganja once in a while. Sri Bhagavan was also
once given when Mother Azhagamma was there.  Once Siva appeared before a Sadhu and said: "Okay, I have come to take
you to my abode, Kailasa! Come" The sadhu said: "Wait, let me bring my Ganja pouch also with me!"

odum kavanthiyume uRavenRittu uL kasinthu
thedum  pouLum sivan kazhale enath theLinthu
koodum yuirum kumandaiyidak kunithadiyen
Adum kulathillai AndAnai koNdanRe.

Only the begging bowl and coupina are my relations. My only search for a thing is Siva's anklet wearing feet.
Let this body and soul fight, (I don't care) I shall dance with heckle in the presence of Lord of Thillai.

Kulapathu, Tiruvachakam Verse 1.

Arunachala Siva.       

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dear i,

what a wonderful verse from திருவாசகம்

ஓடும் கவந்தியுமே உறவென்றிட்டு உள் கசிந்து
தேடும் பொருளும் சிவன் கழலே எனத் தெளிந்து
கூடும் உயிரும் குமண்டையிடக் குனித்தடியேன்
ஆடும் குலாத்தில்லை ஆண்டானைக் கொண்டன்றே.

it reminds me of Kaupina Panchakam of Sri Adi Shankara :)

वेदान्तवाक्येषु सदा रमन्तो
भिक्षान्नमात्रेण च तुष्टिमन्तः ॥
विशोकवन्तः करणे रमन्तः
कौपीनवन्तः खलु भाग्यवन्तः ॥

मूलं तरोः केवलमाश्रयन्तः
पाणिद्वयं भोक्तु मन्त्रयन्तः
कथमिव श्रियमपि कुत्सयन्तः

देहादि भावं परिमार्जयन्तः
आत्मानमात्मन्यवलोकयन्तः
नान्तं न मध्यं न बहिस्‍मरन्तः

स्वानन्दभावे परितुष्टिमन्तः
संशान्त सर्वेन्द्रिय तुष्टिमन्तः
अहर्निशं ब्रह्मणि ये रमन्तः

पंचाक्षरं पावनमुच्चरन्तः
पतिं पशूनां हृदि भावयन्तः
भिक्षाशना दिक्षु परिभ्रमन्तः
.                  . The dispassionate one wearing a piece of loin cloth —
who is roaming in the thoughts of Vedanta (Upanishad),
who is satisfied by a meagre portion of begged-food,
who is meditating in his inner-self without grief — is indeed blessed.||1||

The dispassionate one wearing a piece of loin cloth —
who is sitting at the roots of a tree,
who is eating   unmeasured (meagre) food with his two hands,
and who is disregarding wealth like a patched-cloth —
is indeed blessed.||2||

who is elating and satisfying in his own thoughts,
who is keeping quiet and curbing his sensual desires,
and who is roaming day and night in the thoughts of Brahman —
is indeed blessed.||3||

who is witnessing his body changes,
who is seeing self as the aatman,
and who is not remembering either the end, or the middle,
or the outside one — is indeed blessed.||4||

who is reciting the Brahma-syllable, who is is existing
with the thought ‘I am Brahman’, and who is wandering
in directions for alms — is indeed blessed.||5||

:) wonderful !

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Nagaraj,

Sri Sankara has gone one step further. He says even alms-bowl is not necessary. Only two palms would do. It is called
Karadhala bhiksha. Sri Bhagavan also in the initial days used only His two palms to receive bhiksha. He used to eat them
then  and there and then wiped out His palms on the body and drank water from Ayyankulam Tank.  tiruvodu = alms bowl
etc., came only after Pazhani Swami and others brought one for Him. Yogi Ramsurat Kumar used to take bhiksha in a coconut
shell (half the shell)

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dear i,

व्यापरे खिद्यते यस्तु निमेषोन्मेषयोरपि ।
तस्यालस्य धुरीणस्य सुखं नन्यस्य कस्यचित् ॥ १३ - ४ ॥

vyāpāre khidyate yastu nimeṣonmeṣayorapi
tasyālasya dhurīṇasya sukhaṁ nanyasya kasyacit

Happiness belongs to no-one but that supremely lazy man for
whom even opening and closing his eyes is a bother.

I have also read in the Bhagavata, somewhere, where the Lord says, that he has provided for everybody in abundance, he has provided for water, air, shelter in the form of trees, fruits and vegetables, what more do you need on Man? Be free.

let me see if i can trace this out, what i have written above is only out of memory, but, the Lord conveys this essence very beautifully. We have over the years, since our birth, have only accumulated more and more and more and more....

When we truly realise that God does provide for, without an iota of doubt, it will be taken care of. The life of Ramanagiri Swamigal is truly a testimony to this.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Nagaraj,

Sri Bhagavan used to joke on Himself that He is a pani-ledu-vadu - one without work.

sombiyai summa sukam uNdu uRangidil sol veru en gathi arunachala!

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
As snow in water melts, let me dissolve as love in you who are all love, O Arunachala !
                                                                                                        V. 101, Aksharmanamalai

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir and Sri Nagaraj,

God is Love. Love is God. The Self is Love. And, therefore, the V.101, Aksharmanamalai, in my view, is the essence of Jnana and Bhakti or Devotion.

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir, Sri Nagaraj and Others,
                             This is to state a small request that whenever you post Tamil texts,on the Forum, kindly give simple English translation of the same so that even those who do not know Tamil may also benefit.

Thank you so much.
     Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Anil,

More than what Sri Bhagavan taught (self inquiry etc.,) His life is itself the greatest and most powerful teaching. In fact, one
writer says "His life was a better teaching than the answers He was prompted to give to questions on philosophy and various
practices, inspiring though they are."

His love for Arunachala was revealed in His love for all and everything, including plant and animal life. We see Him leading a
life supremely  carefree and happy. There was  a majesty in His self containment and dispassion, needing nothing and sharing
everything.  He never gave Himself any airs or graces. He participated fully in the Asramam cores and was conspicuous for His
refusal to allow the Asramam authorities to give Him any special treatment.

Nor was Sri Bhagavan always serious. On the contrary He delighted His devotees with wit and keen sense of humor. He enjoyed
a joke and was himself a great story teller.

His love for Arunachala is extraordinary.  We see that every moment was indeed an expression of His remarkable joy in and lover
for Arunachala - a true glorifying of His God.

Arunachala Siva.