Author Topic: Bhagavad Gita online  (Read 15146 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavad Gita online
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 12:52:20 PM »
Udai,
Understanding begins when mind falls quiet.
you quote-"Dvaita Mulam Aho Dhukkam ---> Ashtavakra Gita."
I will quote from 'I am That':
Q: Can there be happiness in unity? Does not all happiness imply necessarily contact, hence duality?
M: There is nothing wrong with duality as long as it does not create conflict. Multiplicity and variety without strife is joy. In pure consciousness there is light. For warmth, contact is needed. Above the unity of being is the union of love. Love is the meaning and purpose of duality.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 01:36:30 PM »
udai,
"But when it comes to scriptures, one needs the aid of bhasyam.
otherwise its not easy to understand upanishads , gita etc"

If we actually get back to the upanishadic period,like say satyakama Jabala or Swetaketu,-They were just given hints and were left free to observe and understand-No Bashyams ever existed.These belonged to the later day era .Back then it was simply the seed thought or suggestion that was offered by the Guru and this grew up on the Disciple and lead him to Truth.

Today,there is so much of a deluge of lectures,talks,etc-that most people are full of other's thoughts.No questions are asked.Answers are discussed!Where is the possibility of any discovery in this sort of a hothouse?
None of the Great Masters ever considered these Bhashyams necessary-neither Sri Ramakrishna nor sri Bhagavan.I certainly do not find any need for it,although I occasionally attend a few talks.The only speaker that I have found is simple,yet experiential is Sri Nochur Venkatraman.His talks do not follow any laid down beaten tracks,or a set of logical exposition like a physics class.
I find that his talks are punctuated with pregnant silence and he clearly asks the audience not to take notes and bring the mind into play.

Those who do feel that they require the crutches of commentaries and talks may certainly take recourse,but to say that everybody needs them is not correct.I certainly do not need!
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 02:02:44 PM »
Friends,
We had a discussion regarding the Study of Scriptures in David's Blog.Those interested may visit:
http://sri-ramana-maharshi.blogspot.in/2008/10/through-knowledge-or-through-practice.html

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
Yet,I will have to say that in the teachings of Sri Ramakrishna,there is a seed of 'affirmation' of the manifestation instead of the Negation of the phenomena,through a witdrawal into Nirvana.Sri Aurobindo takes this forward even further in his Integral Yoga.I will post from his letters that clearly mention this,as also I will post from Sri Ramakrishna's sayings that points to it.I will not be drawn into any discussion or debate on this.I will state it for what it is.

My position on these things is that whatever we may have heard or learnt till now,counts for nothing.Just carry on with the sadhana and what God reveals to us is what matters-not what Sri Ramakrishna or sri Bhagavan or Sri Aurobindo or any other has said!We may make use of all these but cannot bind ourselves by any of these.
Namaskar.

Dear Sri Ravi,

This, I am 100% in agreement with you. Yes, there is a seed of 'affirmation' of the manifestation instead of the Negation of the phenomena,through a witdrawal into Nirvana. This is topic I have raised on some couple occasions, but, it does not fall in our realms of discussions. 

Some excerpts:

It is more to do with OUR OWN EXPERIENCES. I have observed at least most of us in this forum (just my own personal observation) including my self, that we all actually side towards the philosophy of Ramanujacharya even though we talk about Advaita and much less towards Advaita at experiential levels! We are content or mostly, we don't know more than what Ramanujacharya has observed. We stand where Ramanuja come to conclusion. and we are caught in a pathless ground, waiting for eternity. There is a need for understanding here.

Our experiences of reality, at least by our views posted so far here (own views, not what Bhagavan has said or not what Shankara has said) By our own experiential knowledge, it can be inferred that we all stand in Sri Ramanujacharya's philosophy. This, on the other hand, doesn't give a peace of mind yet (atleast to myself) as extensively reading Advaita literature of Shankara and others.

There is a fine line in what Shankara has said and Ramanar has said. But They have been only one of their kinds. What Bhagavan & Shankara perhaps landed to is something which is description less or indescribable!

Those interested can ---->CLICK HERE<---- to go the post

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 02:38:03 PM »
udai,
"Have you realized?"
I think we discussed this in David's Blog!I am not sure whether it was you but it does look like that!
As I said that ,I am not interested in discussions.
Just one thing I will say-As long as one is thinking 'I am doing Sadhana'-one has not even began doing it!
Sadhana begins only when one finds that 'Sadhana is done not by oneself but for oneself'.

It is only when the mind falls quiet and we perceive the Divine working in us-it is the Divine that does the sadhana-it is only then that we can understand these things and see them for what they are.

You have extrapolated what I have said as to mean that Guru is not required.All that I have said is that scriptural learning is not of any great help.Those who find a need may go for it.I certainly do not need them.

Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »
'Sadhana is done not by oneself but for oneself'.

Very enlightening statement, Sri Ravi. That's it. We cannot do anything by our own. The Divine Grace is Which do Its work in us. We cannot do anything just because we want it. Even when work very hard and earn money It is Divine Grace Which has done it. There are many people working hard but don't earn money.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.php

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 02:57:09 PM »
udai,
How do we know that we are  not Hungry?When the Stomach does not complain,is in't it!Same here.No complaints!There is no such need.We are taking home food,so no need to go to restaurants!
Carry on with sadhana.We will be given to understand.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 02:59:56 PM »
udai,
You are asking -Why Am I Reading The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna?
I have already answered it.Not to gain Knowledge but to be in the company of the Master.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 03:12:39 PM »
udai,
Unless we have a quiet mind,we will not be in a position to understand.
you are now trying to catch me on the wrong foot!Let us see!
"you can say reading Ashtavakra gita you get the company of Ashtavakra , therefore its important"
I have already posted on the difference between Studying and Reading.
I have also posted about Chaitanya meeting the devotee listening to The Bhagavad Gita.
All I am saying is simple:You do not need an interpreter for a Love Story!
This is what is to be understood.In case you have some sincere doubts,I am open for discussion.I do not serve curiosity.
Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 03:21:54 PM »
Sadhana is always done by a "Person"
who has doership.
One who has no doership, does not need sadhana.

Of course Udaiji. You didn't understand me. My point is that nothing happens just because we want it or just because we have done some things. It is God's decision. The person is there, sadhana is done. But it's fruits are by God's mercy. Many people want to become christian monks for example (I give this example because Christian world and Muslim world is where I live) but they can't. They want to not think about their families, about delicious food, sex and so on but they can't. We cannot nothing by ourselves. Even Buddha has had Gurus (Guru is God incarnate). Many people say "I will do this or that and the result is certain". It is certain but if it is God's Will and He decides when and how. There is no recipe. Everything is in God's hands. If He decides He can give you liberation right now. But can you say "I will be free in 1, 2 or 10 years because of my sadhana". This is what I wanted to tell. Otherwise I absolutely agree with you about sadhana.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 03:31:03 PM »
It is more to do with OUR OWN EXPERIENCES. I have observed at least most of us in this forum (just my own personal observation) including my self, that we all actually side towards the philosophy of Ramanujacharya even though we talk about Advaita and much less towards Advaita at experiential levels! We are content or mostly, we don't know more than what Ramanujacharya has observed. We stand where Ramanuja come to conclusion. and we are caught in a pathless ground, waiting for eternity. There is a need for understanding here.

Our experiences of reality, at least by our views posted so far here (own views, not what Bhagavan has said or not what Shankara has said) By our own experiential knowledge, it can be inferred that we all stand in Sri Ramanujacharya's philosophy. This, on the other hand, doesn't give a peace of mind yet (atleast to myself) as extensively reading Advaita literature of Shankara and others.

There is a fine line in what Shankara has said and Ramanar has said. But They have been only one of their kinds. What Bhagavan & Shankara perhaps landed to is something which is description less or indescribable!

Dear, Nagaraj. You have seen very important truth. Every so called "advaitin" or "follower of jnana marga" is actually "visishtadvatin". Only visishtadvaita can combine monism with duality (relative world).

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 06:20:55 PM »
I agree with udai garu that interpretation of scripture study is surely required for many.

Moreover scripture study is must and obviously many here benefitted from it.

Even bhagavan ramana read many scripture books as well as english books and glanced newspapers on daily basis.

Famous devotee Balarama reddy said that Bhagavan was familiar with, and had respect for, the classical English works. He had read many English books and would daily read an English newspaper. W. Y. Evans-Wentz had given Bhagavan copies of his published books, and of these books Bhagavan liked best Tibet's Great Yogi, Melarepa. He once requested to read it.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 06:53:04 PM »
But Sri Bhagavan's case was unique. He had the Self hood experience first.  Before that He had read only some Bible lessons,
Periyapuranam and some Tayumanvar songs.  All that He studied in Tiruvannamalai was after His realization. Again, these were
only to clarify doubts for others from any particular scripture.  He describes this in Verse 58 of Sri Arunachala Akshara Mana Malai.

Arunachala Siva. 

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 08:13:56 PM »
udai garu and subramanian garu i agree with your view points sir.

Bhagavan started reading only after he got realisation and as udai agru stated bhagavan is like ramanujan and an exception.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 09:47:22 PM »
Nagaraj/Friends,

"It is more to do with OUR OWN EXPERIENCES. I have observed at least most of us in this forum (just my own personal observation) including my self, that we all actually side towards the philosophy of Ramanujacharya even though we talk about Advaita and much less towards Advaita at experiential levels! We are content or mostly, we don't know more than what Ramanujacharya has observed."

Yes,There is no point in talking about Advaita.The Advaita anubhuti is something that has to happen;it cannot be a result of any striving ,although striving is needed.All striving is only to allow the working of the Yoga shakti or Grace to do the work.We need to cooperate by our receptivity and trust.

The Right attitude that a seeker should have is not to be bothered about 'advaita' or any other 'ultimate' grandiose goal.Just be like the person who did not make his choice in the 'Dyer and his tub' parable of Sri Ramakrishna.Here it is:
"A certain man had a tub. People would come to him to have their clothes dyed. The tub
contained a solution of dye. Whatever colour a man wanted for his cloth, he would get by
dipping the cloth in the tub. One man was amazed to see this and said to the dyer, 'Please
give me the dye you have in your tub
.' "

What is it that one gains through satsangha?The Master says:
"What are the spiritual disciplines that give the mind its upward direction? One learns all
this by constantly living in holy company.

Ultimately it is smarana.As Saint thyAgaraja sang-'smarane sukamu rama namam'.This is all that is needed if one develops a taste for it.

In The Gospel,one of the most inspirational passage ,to me,is this:
If you meditate on an ideal you will acquire its nature. If you think of God day and night,
you will acquire the nature of God. A salt doll went into the ocean to measure its depth. It
became one with the ocean. What is the goal of books or scriptures? The attainment of God.
A man opened a book belonging to a sadhu. He saw the word 'Rama' written on every page.
There was nothing else.

Namaskar.