Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 426467 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #2385 on: February 09, 2019, 02:49:01 PM »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: February 24, 2019, 12:43:28 PM »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: March 07, 2019, 09:24:51 AM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: March 12, 2019, 02:30:05 PM »
Self-realization is Effortless
=======================

To the question 'what does one have to do, what efforts must one make to stop
conceptualizing',

Maharaj's answer is:
Nothing; no efforts. Who is to make the effort?

What effortdid you make to grow from a tiny sperm cell to a full grown baby in your mother's womb?
And thereafter, for several months when you grew from the helpless baby to an infant, what efforts did you make to sense your presence?

And now you talk of 'efforts', which 'you' must make!
What efforts can an illusory, conceptual 'I' make to know its true nature?
What efforts can a shadow make
to know its substance?

Realizing one's true nature requires no phenomenal effort.

Enlightenment cannot be attained, nor forced. It can only happen, when it is given the opportunity to do so, when
obstruction by concepts ceases.
It can appear only when it is given a vacant space to appear in.

If someone else is to occupy this house, says Maharaj, I must first vacate it. If the conceptual 'I' is already in occupation, how can enlightenment enter?
Let the conceptual 'I' vacate and give
enlightenment a chance to enter.

Even making a positive effort to stop thinking as a method of getting rid of conceptualizing, is an exercise in futility, and so is any other kind of 'effort'!

The only effective effort is instant apperceiving of truth.

See the false as false and what remains is true.

What is absent now will appear when what is now present disappears.
It is as simple as that.
Negation is the only answer.

~Maharaj points to the Eternal Truth
that IS - before time ever was
# POINTERS FROM
NISARGADATTA MAHARAJ
By Ramesh S. Balsekar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: March 31, 2019, 10:19:56 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: April 01, 2019, 12:38:14 AM »
The ego is described as having three bodies, the gross, the subtle and the causal, but that is only for the purpose of analytical exposition.

If the enquiry were to depend on the ego?s form, you may take it that any enquiry would become altogether impossible, because the forms the ego may assume are legion.

Therefore, for the purposes of self-
enquiry you have to proceed on the basis that ego has but one form,
namely that of aham-vritti [?I?-thought].

Trace, then, the ultimate cause of ?I? or personality.

From wheredoes this ?I? arise?

Seek for it within; it then vanishes. . . .

When the mind unceasingly investigates its own nature, it transpires that there is
no such thing as mind.

~ Maharshi?s Gospel, Book II, Chap.
VI, Aham & Aham Vritti. p.63.
& Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi,
Talk 26

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: April 01, 2019, 12:39:56 AM »
The mind resting in the Self is its natural condition. But instead of that our minds are resting in outward objects.

Ramana Maharshi

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: April 07, 2019, 10:24:46 AM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: April 14, 2019, 09:24:07 AM »
TO SIMPLIFY REALIZATION

Bhagavan sometimes said that Self-knowledge, that is, attaining the state of the jnani, is an easy thing because we are already the Self and consequently are already realized. At other times he would admit that attaining such a state is very difficult. To illustrate the latter attitude, I can offer the following exchange. A woman came and had Bhagavan's darshan. When she was ready to leave, she asked him,
'Bhagavan, my mind is wandering in many directions. What shall I do?'
Bhagavan advised her, 'Let it go in only on in one direction.'

After she had left, I asked him, 'If that is possible, what more do we want? That is jnana itself, is it not?'

'Well, what am I to do or say?' asked Bhagavan. 'As soon as people come here they want to become jnanis. They think it is quite easy. They do not realize the difficulty in it.'

- Rangan

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: April 25, 2019, 10:38:54 AM »
S A Y I N G S OF B H A G A V A N SRI RAMANA MAHARSHI:
1. "Turn the mind inward and rest in your own Self."
2. " Mind is the cause of bondage."
3. " Give up one thing after another and rest in peace."
4. "What we get, we shall lose, so desire not."
5. " There are two kinds of meditation. The first is to be practised by advanced aspirants ?? nirguna dhyana ? where one seeks to know the Meditator himself. The second kind is to be practised by those less advanced ?> a somewhat round about course?saguna dhyana?where the meditator, meditation, and the object of meditation get merged ultimately into one."
6. " When I come to know that I was never born, I shall never die. Death is for one who is born. I was never born. I have no body and so I shall never die.I am everywhere; where am I to go and where am I to come? "
7. " When a man's mind is dead, he will not die again."
8. " Attain the sushupti (state of sleep) in the jagrat (waking) state, and you become a jnani"
9. " Turn the mind inward and search for the Seer and you find that you are the Seer and the objective world does not exist."
10. " The mind divides itself into the subject and object? the Seer anl the seen. So the outer world of names and forms has no independent existence."
11. " The jiva is the reflection of Brahman on the mind."
12. " A man might have performed many karmas in his previous births. A few of them alone will be chosen for this birth, and he will have to enjoy their fruits in this birth. It is something like a magic lantern show where the showman picks but a few slides to be exhibited at a performance, the remaining slides being reserved for other performances. But it is possible for a man to destroy his karma by acquiring knowledge of the Self. The different karmas are the slides, karmas being the result of past experience? and the mind is the projector.
The projector must be destroyed, and there will be no reflection and no sarnsara."
13. " I am the ruler of the mind. I am not the mind. Most people take the mind for the Self and bring misery upon themselves."
14. " Guru is necessary for a man; he serves as a guide on the road to realisation. But there are some who have known the Truth without a Guru to guide them. Such men must have learnt in their previous incarnations. There are some in whose case a word or two will suffice to set them on the road to realisation, while, there are others who have to work for years before they can make any progress."
15. " Dhyana is necessary for the realisation of the Truth. Every man must select
what suits him among the paths laid down for reaching the goal ? yoga, bhakti,
and janana. Vichara is also yoga, not merely study of books."
16. "When the jiva knows himself to be Parabrahman and rests in peace, that is the Supreme Silence (maunam)."
17. " The Self is changeless; all changes are changes of the mind. Through avidya (ignorance) the changes of the mind are attributed to the Atman"
18. " Look at sweets made of sugar. Some are of the shape of brinjals, some are shaped like mantapams and horses, yet they are all of one substance, sugar. In the same way, the objects of this world, though of different shapes and sizes, or names and forms, all are nothing but Brahman."
19. " Asramas (stages of life, such as grihasta, brahmacharya) exist only with reference to the physical body; Atman has no asramas"
20. To the question: " Why should a man be under an illusion? ", Bhagavan answered : " Enquire who has illusion, and you will find that there is no illusion."
21. " You should have no fear, for the Atman is everywhere, and you are that Atman.
When there is a feeling of separateness, fear arises."
22. "The advaita philosophy alone can successfully stand all tests. Other schools
torture the Vedic texts so as to suit their own theories."
23. " Men desire psychic powers, but what they get they must lose some day or other.
Seeking powers implies that you are inferior to the power from whom you try to get them. All movements of the mind tend to keep you in bondage. So give up desire, and do not be dependent on anything for you yourself are the store-house of power and bliss. Give up everything else and keep your mind at peace".

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: April 28, 2019, 05:26:37 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: April 29, 2019, 01:06:06 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: May 01, 2019, 04:35:05 PM »
The Self is Always in You, Around You and Everywhere
by N.N. Rajan

I have had many opportunities to talk to Bhagavan and one of them I mention here. One day I went to see Gurumurtham and the garden near it. These two places are well known to those who have read his biography. It was in this garden that Bhagavan?s uncle recognized him as his nephew Venkataraman, who had left his home some three years earlier.

After visiting the two places, I returned to the Asramam and told Bhagavan that the place now was more or less an open ground and was not a garden as described by B. V. Narasimhaswami in his book Self Realisation.

Bhagavan immediately began to describe how the garden had been then and proceeded further to describe his life during his sojourn there. He said that he was taking shelter in a lamb pen where it was hardly high enough for him to sit erect. If he wanted to stretch his body on the floor, most of it would be out in the open. He wore only a koupina and had no covering over the rest of his body. If it rained, he remained on the wet and sodden ground where sometimes water stood a couple of inches deep! He did not feel any inconvenience because he had no ?body sense? to worry him. He felt that sunrise and sunset came in quick succession. Time and space did not exist for him! He then tried to describe the state of his awareness of the Self and his awareness of the body and things material. To him, the sun of absolute Reality made the phenomenal world disappear and he was immersed in that light which dissolves diversity into the One Without a Second!

It is not possible to express exactly the thrill felt by all of us who were listening to him. We all felt transported into that condition for which we are striving. There was a deep silence in the hall for some time and everyone present felt peace and happiness. It occurred to me then that Bhagavan, while narrating any incident of his life, was taking the opportunity to teach us, and I told him that when he spoke we felt as if it were easy to experience the Self and as if we had glimpses of it.

We asked him exactly how one has to proceed to be in that state of continuous awareness which he had described. Bhagavan, with his sparkling eyes, looked at me benevolently, raised his hands and said:

?It is the easiest thing to obtain. The Self is always in you, around you and everywhere. It is the substratum and the support of everything. You are experiencing the Self and enjoying it every moment of your life. You are not aware of it because your mind is on things material and thus gets externalized through your senses. Hence, you are unable to know it. Turn your mind away from material things which are the cause of desires, and the moment you withdraw your mind from them you become aware of the Self. Once you experience the Self, you are held by it, and you become ?That? which is the One Without a Second.?

When he finished his words I again felt as I had felt on the first day I met him. that Bhagavan is a big powerhouse and his power or grace overwhelms us, whatever our ideas may be, and leads us into the channel flowing into the Self. It became clear to me that we can have the knowledge of the Self if only we take the path on which a realized person or guru directs us.

In conclusion, I wish to say that one should constantly meditate that one is not the body or the mind. Unless the mind is in contact with the senses, we cannot get any report from our ears, eyes, etc. We must therefore still the mind by disconnecting it from the senses and thus get beyond them to experience the Self. What we learn from sense perception is only relative knowledge. Knowledge of the Self can be learned only by sitting at the feet of one who has realized it; what others tell you is mere talk. Bhagavan Ramana is one of those Masters who has realized the Self and like all other Masters who preceded him, he helps us proceed rapidly to attain Self-knowledge.

- N.N. Rajan, Saranagati eNewsletter, Jul/August 2018
- Gurumurtham

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: May 08, 2019, 10:42:52 AM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: May 16, 2019, 06:15:27 AM »