Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 274922 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1920 on: July 09, 2016, 01:42:09 PM »
Today is the liberation day of Amarneethi Nayanar.

He was giving coupina and towel to the sadhus. That was his job.  Once Siva came as an old
brahmin and told him, that he would leave the spare coupina with him and go for a bath.
On coming back, he would take the spare coupina.  When He returned after bath, He asked
for the coupina which was missing due to Siva's trick.  The merchant Amarneethi told him that
he would give Him a new coupina.  Siva refused to accept. He then told Siva that he would give
any amount of gold and diamonds.  He brought them all and weighed them.  These were not sufficient.
He then stood himself and his wife and kid on the balance.  Even then they were not sufficient.
Suddenly the old brahmin appeared as Siva and took them to Siva lokam!

Day of liberation -  Aani month, Puram star day.

Arunachala Siva.   

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 01:44:09 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: July 12, 2016, 07:25:09 AM »

Siva is said to be the greatest Mukunda-priya.  Hari (Narayana)
is said to be the greatest Siva Jnani.  They merge in jnana-bhakti.
Sri Sankara brings this idea in Verse 82 of Sri Sivananda Lahari.

Banatvam vrushabhatvam artha vaphusha bharyatvam- arya pathe,
Gonitvam sakitha mrudhanga vahata chetyadi rupam dadhou |
tvatpade nayanarpananja krutavan tvadeha bhago hari,
pujyataras sa eva hi na cheth ko va dadhanyodhika ||

O the concorporate of Ambika!  Hari because of his having become an arrow for you, having
become a bull as a vehicle, with half of your body as wife (Ardhanareeswara), having been a
boar, a girl-friend, and a drummer became the most lovable for you.  He has also donated his
eye for you.  He is also a part of your Hari-Hara form.  Because of these,  he becomes adorable
by all devotees.  Who is a greater than Hari in this world?

#

arrow -  in Tripura Samhara, Hari became the arrow for Siva's   bow.
bull - in the same Tripura Samhara, Hari became the bull,(as
a vehicle), when  Siva's chariot-wheel broke. 

#

wife - in Hari-Hara avatara, Hari is the wife of Hara (Siva).

Saint Tirunavukkarasar sings:  "Where is the wife for you, O
Siva, without Hari?"  Hari and Parvati are brother and sisters.
Hari and Parvati are said to be the same principle.

boar - in Arunachala Puranam, it is said that Hari (Vishnu) went
as a boar to dig the earth to see Siva's feet.
girl-friend - sakita - When the milky ocean was churned and when
Siva was called to take the poison, Hari came as Mohini, the seductive girl.
 (Srimad Bhagavatam).

drummer -  in the Pradoshakala Natya, when Siva dances, the drummer is Hari.

donating the eye - During a puja by Hari to Siva, it so happened,
one lotus (out of 1000 lotuses) became less.  The lotus eyed
Narayana, submitted his eye in lieu of lotus.  There is a temple
in Thanjavur District of Tamizh Nadu for Siva, where he is called
Hari Netrarpaneswarar.  Siva, for whom Hari submitted his eye, in puja.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: July 13, 2016, 07:47:59 AM »

Verse 89 of Sri Sivananda Lahari is again a beauty.

Nathibhir nuthbhis thavmeecha bhuja-
Vithibhir dhyana samadhibhir na thushta |
Dhanusha musalena chachmabhir vaa
vadha the preetikaram dhatha karomi. ||

O the Ruler of the Worlds!  By bow and arrows, pounding logs,
and stones, you become very happy. You do not even become
so happy, even with namaskarams, stotrams and pujas and dhyana
samadhis.  Kindly tell me by which you shall have maximum
satisfaction.  And I shall do accordingly.

Siva became happy when Arjuna hit Him with his arrows and He
gave him Pasupatastra.   In the story of Sakkya Nayanar, who did puja to Siva Lingam,
by throwing stones at it, He became pleased and conferred him liberation.  Sri Sankara
adds here the pounding log also, as Nindastuti.

Tayumanavar sings:  By throwing stones, and hitting you with
arrows, and throwing some green leaves, your devotees reached
the shore.  I am lowly without any devotion, what can I do to
get your grace, O the Guru, who supported the non-injury to others
as the first qualification to reach you!

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: July 16, 2016, 03:03:51 PM »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #1924 on: July 16, 2016, 09:37:31 PM »
 :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: July 16, 2016, 10:17:49 PM »
"'Do's and Dont's' "....Do they help? (taking cue from our Beloved friend 'Abstract'...ha,ha.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: July 17, 2016, 12:03:15 AM »
A DIRECT POINTING

Q: I am tired of all the ways and means and skills and tricks, of all these mental acrobatics. Is there a way to perceive reality directly and immediately?

M: Stop making use of your mind and see what happens.
Do this one thing thoroughly.
That is all.

- Nisargadatta Maharaj, I AM THAT
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: July 18, 2016, 06:21:59 PM »

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #1928 on: July 18, 2016, 09:31:49 PM »
yes .... just stop ...  so simple its always overlooked ... hahahahaha   :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: July 19, 2016, 07:41:58 AM »

1.  One can be without mind, that is, mind permanently curling up in the Self.  This is the no-mind state. 

2. Mind when not outward pointed permanently, it is said to curl up in the Self.  It is like the
moon on the high noon.

3. Every activity of all living beings, is due to God's engineering and the living being's vasana.
A terrorist also kills a group of people out of God's engineering, but it is his vasana which has
thrust him that work.  Sri Ramakrishna used to say to Kali.  Thum Yantri Ami Yantra.
You are the operator and I am the machine.

Okay, why God instead of keeping quiet, should engineer the living beings?  The answer is: 
Who am I question Him?  Among the million spermatoza, one unites with ovum and causes fertility.
Why this particular one, among the millions?  Who chooses?  God.
Why should He?  Who am I to question Him?

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: July 22, 2016, 10:00:08 AM »
One day when someone was talking of doing this and that, Bhagavan [Sri Ramana Maharshi] asked, "Why do you think that you are the doer? There lies all the trouble. It is quite absurd, as it is obvious to all that `I' does nothing. It is only the body that acts, `I' is always the witness. We so associate ourselves with our thoughts and actions that we continually say, `I did this or that,' when we did nothing at all. Concentrate on being the witness and let things take their course, they will go on anyhow, you cannot prevent them."

That's the point! Things will go on anyhow, but Bhagavan taught that though we had no power to stop them, we did have the power to observe them from a detached point of view, as the witness and not as the doer. That was the purpose of life, and Sadhana consisted exactly in that.

~ Sadhu Arunachala

...from "A Sadhu's Reminiscences of Ramana Maharshi" by Sadhu Arunachala (Major A. W. Chadwick)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: July 23, 2016, 12:02:06 AM »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: July 28, 2016, 01:52:59 PM »
Today is the Liberation Day of both Pugazh Chozha Nayanar and Moorthi Nayanar.

Ashaada month, Krittika star day.

I have already given the life stories of these two Nayanars in my serial posts on 63 Saiva Saints.
Readers are requested to go through that serial post.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: July 28, 2016, 10:10:13 PM »
There is no process to become silent.
To disturb your mind you need process,
but to stay silent there is no process.

Stay in satsang, stay quiet,
always have love with your own Self.

You are not to win it by any attempt or effort.
Simply stay quiet.

If any thought rises, simply find out where it came from.

~ Papaji

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: July 29, 2016, 10:36:36 PM »
Nagaraj/Friends,
Excerpt from an article by Swami Chetanananda as to how the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna came to be written.It may be noted that this had the encouragement and blessings of none other than The Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi, who M had always looked for guidance and advice:

The Origin of The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna M. based his Sri Sri Ramakrishna Kathamrita (The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna) on his diary entries from 26th February 1882 to 10th May 1887. He began to develop his diaries for publication within a couple of years after the Master's passing away, but he did not make all of the entries public. On 11 July 1888 M. read a chapter of the Kathamrita to Holy Mother, who was then living in Nilambar Babu's garden house in Belur. After she heard this reading from the manuscript, she praised M. and encouraged him to write more. On 15 March 1890 M. read another chapter to Holy Mother and received her blessing and approval to publish it. In 1892 a small pamphlet of 20 pages was released under the title Paramahamsadever Ukti - Part 3 by Satchidananda  Gitaratna,and collected by Sadhu Mahindranath Gupta.Swami Vivekananda read this pamphlet and wrote to M. from Antpur on 7th February 1889: "Thanks! 100,000 times, Master! You have hit Ramkristo in the right point. Few alas, few understand him!! My heart leaps in joy - and it is a wonder that I do not go mad when I find anybody thoroughly launched into the midst of the doctrine which is to show peace on earth hereafter".
M. was busy with family duties, so he could not always concentrate on developing his diaries for publication. On 26th November 1895, Holy Mother wrote to M. from Kamarpukur: "Please preserve those teachings of the Master which he left with you". M. was inspired by her letter to publish Leaves from the Gospel of the Lord Sri Ramakrishna, which came out serially in the English-language magazine starting on 15 October 1897. Swami Vivekananda read the series and wrote to M. from Rawalpindi in October 1897: "Dear M., C'est bon mon ami - Now you are doing just the thing. Come out man. No sleeping all life. Time is flying. Bravo, that is the way. Many many thanks for your publication. Only I am afraid it will not pay its way in a pamphlet form... Never mind - pay or no pay. Let it see the blaze of daylight. You will have many blessings on you and many more curses but that is always the way of the world, sir. This is the time".
Swami Vivekananda wrote to M. again on 24th November 1897, this time from Dehra Dun: "My dear M., Many many thanks for your second leaflet, it is indeed wonderful. The move is quite original and never was the life of a great teacher brought before the public untarnished by the writer's mind as you are doing. The language also is beyond all praise - so fresh so pointed and withal so plain and easy. I cannot express in adequate terms how I have enjoyed the leaflets. I am really in a transport when I read them. Strange, isn't it? Our teacher and Lord was so original and each one of us will have to be original or nothing. I now understand why none of us attempted his life before. It has been reserved for you - this great work. He is with you evidently.
 P.S. Socratic dialogues are Plato all over. You are entirely hidden. Moreover, the dramatic part is infinitely beautiful. Everybody likes it, here and in the West".

After M. began publishing the Master's teachings in English in a pamphlet form, a critic wrote in Tattwamanjari magazine: "We have a request to Mr. Gupta to publish these teachings in a big book form instead of in small pamphlets, that will benefit the masses. Again, we wonder, why did he publish it in English instead of Bengali? It is needless to remind him that sometimes the spirit of such deep spiritual truths diminishes while translating them into English. It would be difficult for our people to understand these teachings". M. later acquiesced to the critic's request. This criticism, however, was nothing compared to the appreciation that M. received from many distinguished reviewers. The English-language pamphlets created a tremendous stir because readers found Ramakrishna's teachings new and exciting. But M. eventually decided to publish The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna in Bengali, so that readers could taste the original beauty of the Master's mother tongue.

Again, he sought Holy Mother's blessing. On 4th July 1897 Holy Mother wrote to M. from Jayrambati: "My dear child, whatever you heard from the Master was true. You should not feel any fear in publishing them. At one time he left those teachings in your custody, and now he is bringing them to light through you. Know for certain that people's spiritual consciousness will not be awakened without bringing out those teachings. Whatever words of the Master you collected are true. One day while I was listening to your manuscript, I felt as if the  Master was saying all those things".

continued.....
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:45:18 PM by Ravi.N »