Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 275057 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1905 on: July 02, 2016, 11:37:20 AM »

CONVERSATIONS WITH ANNAMALAI SWAMI

Q: How effective is pradakshina of Arunachala? Is it as good as meditating on the Self?
AS: Arunachala radiates the grace of the Self. If you walk around it with reverence, keeping your mind quiet or thinking of the Self, you are having satsang of the Self.
There is a great spiritual power emanating from Arunachala. You can feel it if you approach the mountain with humbleness, with reverence, and with a quiet mind.
If one does pradakshina of Arunachala with the right attitude,
both the mind and the body are purified. If you feel like doing
pradakshina, then go. Meditate while you walk.
And if, at other times, you feel like sitting in meditation, do that. Both are the same if they are done correctly and attentively. At all times, whatever the body may be doing, one should keep a steady awareness of the Self.
The main point of both pradakshina and meditation is to give up the identification with the body, to lose the ?I-am-the-body-idea.?
- LWB, p. 336
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: July 02, 2016, 03:35:34 PM »
Graham Boyd:

A short obituary has appeared in Saranagati issue of July 2016.

I find no reference in Mountain Path, July-Sept. issue, perhaps, the edition was printed much before
Graham's merger with Bhagavan's Feet.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: July 02, 2016, 03:40:59 PM »
A short obituary in Saranagati July-Sept. issue:

Graham Boyd:  1949-2016:

Born in Leeds on 13th July 1949, Graham came to the Ashram in the mid-1990s and began work
on archival photo negatives. Self-trained in sound and electrical engineering, Graham was instrumental
in introducing computers to Ashram and he designed the Ashram's first two websites way back when
website-designing was still quite new. In his youth while working odd jobs, Graham struggled to find
inner peace amidst the entanglements of modern life. But in the early 1980s when he came across
Mouni Sadhu?s In Days of Great Peace, his life 'changed overnight' and he began to call himself a
devotee of Bhagavan Sri Ramana. Graham was untiring in his service to the Ashram and among his many projects were recording the Ashram Tamizh Parayanam, digitizing English publications, filming and
editing the biography on Bhagavan's life in the documentary entitled Eternal Light and other video
project on Arunachala Giripradakshina. His contribution in establishing the Archives was invaluable.
It was Graham who initiated the restoration of archival photographs of Sri Bhagavan that devotees
the world over enjoy today. Ever a friend of the poor, he quietly helped the needy.

Diagnosed with bone cancer in November 2015 and having undergone treatment in Chennai,
Graham was blessed to be able to live out his final days in Tiruvannamalai where he merged at
the feet of Arunachala on 16th June 2016 in the presence of friends and his daughter, Candice
Faqir of Scarborough.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 03:42:49 PM by Subramanian.R »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: July 02, 2016, 08:57:21 PM »
Balaji/Friends,

Here is an excerpt from Dennis Hartel's writeup on Graham (posted by Balaji in the thread in the administrative section):

Graham was sincere and he weathered the isolation and ruggedness of the place with humor. He was a strict vegetarian, but would only eat canned food. At the time he believed that vegetarianism was a certain way to liberation, moksha, and that was the major aspect of his sadhana till then. I walked Graham down the road to the cows feeding on the grass in the field next to the Ashrama and said, Prostrate here, for in that field (the cows) there are so many liberated souls eating only vegetarian food. I believe he got my point

I found Dennis Hartel off mark here as well.In fact if there was 'ONE RULE' that Sri Bhagavan laid down for sadhaks, it is this Strict Vegetarian diet. Sri Bhagavan mentions this in his 'nAn yAr' as well.(Of course it is never Sri Bhagavan's nature to enforce anything,so he left it to the sadhaks).
Cows eating grass and Sadhak eating ONLY Vegetarian food as an important aid in sadhana are two entirely different things.

I hope  Dennis Hartel gets this point some time(That he has not got it until now is plain from this recent write up) instead of expecting that 'Graham got it!'.It is indeed a major aspect of sadhana, as Sri Bhagavan himself had recommended it.

Namaskar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: July 02, 2016, 09:46:46 PM »
THE GREATNESS OF JAPA
A devotee asked, ?Swami, what is the easiest way to attain moksha??
Bhagavan said with a smile, ?As and when the mind goes astray, it should be turned inward and made to steady itself in the thought of the Self. That is the only way.?
Another devotee said, ?To do so, the repeating of the name of Rama is good, is it not??
?Certainly, it is good,? said Bhagavan. ?What could be better? The greatness of the japa of the name of Rama is extraordinary. In the story of Namadeva he is reported to have told one devotee, ?If you want to know the greatness of the name of Rama you must first know what your own name is, what your real nature (swarupa) is, who you are and how you were born. Unless you know your own origin, you will not know your name!? This idea is found in the Abhangas of Namadeva written in Marathi language and in the Malayalam Adhyatma Ramayana.?
Thereupon Bhagavan related a story from the latter.
IT IS STATED in that book that when Anjaneya went in search of Sita, he seated himself opposite to Ravana in the Darbar Hall on a high pedestal and fearlessly spoke to him thus: ?Oh Ravana, I give you a teaching (upadesa) for attaining liberation (moksha). Please listen to me carefully. It is certain that the Self (Atma) gets purified by intense devotion to Hari, who is in the lotus of the Heart at all times. The ego gets destroyed and then the sin gets destroyed.
Afterwards, in its place, the knowledge of the transcendent Self emerges. With a pure mind and with the Bliss (Ananda) generated by a firm knowledge of the Self, the two letters ?Ra? ?Ma? which are like mantras, will repeat themselves within you automatically. What more is required for a person who has this knowledge, however little it might be?
Hence worship the lotus feet of Vishnu, which will remove all worldly fears, which are dear to all devotees and which shine as brightly as the light of a crore of Suns. Give up the ignorance of your mind?.
This has been mentioned in two or three slokas in the Sanskrit Adhyatma Ramayanam but not as elaborately as in the Malayalam text. Is the greatness of the name of Rama ordinary?
'
Spiritual Stories'
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: July 03, 2016, 11:41:18 AM »

ANNAMALAI SWAMI RECOUNTED:
It is one of Bhagavan's characteristics that he often responded to identical situations in different ways. In 1938, when I [Annamalai Swami] was once again troubled by sexual desires, he reacted in a completely different way. For three days my mind had been filled with sexual thoughts, so much so that I began to think, 'How will I ever attain salvation if thoughts like these constantly come?'
I so disturbed by these thoughts that throughout these three days I was unable to eat or sleep property.
I decided that Bhagavan was the only person who could help me. That evening I followed Bhagavan when he went out for his walk and explained my problem to him.
'Since this desire for women came to me the other day, I have not slept or taken food for the last three days. As these thoughts occur quite often, what will eventually happen to me?'
Bhagavan, after remaining silent for a couple of minutes, replied ?Why should you always be thinking that an evil thought occurred at such and such a time in the past? If you instead meditate "To whom does this thought come?' it will fly away of its own accord. You are not the body or the mind, you are the Self. Meditate on this and all your desires will leave you.'
Similarly Bhagavan taught Annamalai Swami about anger and remorsefulness. He had beaten a worker who had been acting carelessly.
?This happened at about 9 a.m. For the rest of the day I felt very guilty about losing my temper in this way. That evening, when I gave my daily report, I confessed to Bhagavan and apologized for my action. Bhagavan asked me, ?When did this anger come and when did you hit him?'
I told him that the incident had happened about 9 a.m. that morning.
?The anger that came at 9 a.m. has already gone,' said Bhagavan. 'Why are you still thinking that you got angry and hit someone? Why are you still carrying these thoughts in your mind? Instead of feeling guilty about what you have done, enquire, 'To whom did all this anger come?? Find out the real nature of the person who got angry this morning.
For activity that anger was needed. Now it is all over, you do not need to think about it any more. So drop that memory of anger and proceed with the next job.?
- LWB

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: July 05, 2016, 07:36:05 AM »

In fact Manikkavachagar's TiruppaLLi Ezhuchi and Tiruvembavai
were composed in Tiruvannamalai.  Both the poems are full of
nature worship.

In Verse 2, he says:

Aruna has come come to the east.  The darkness is slowly leaving. Like Your face (Siva's), the Sun
rises full of mercy for living beings. The lotus is blooming.  The six legged bee is humming around
the flowers.  O the Lord of Tiruperundurai, the Hill with full of ocean like grace, please wake up.

Again, in Verse 3 he says:

The cuckoo is cooing.  The cocks are cooing.  The red-white starks
are making melodious sounds.  The conch-shells in the temple
are blown by the priests.  The stars are dimming with the sunlight,
like grace of other gods against your Grace.  O the Lord of
Tiruperundurai, show me your feet that are swarmed by gods.
O the rarity among the rarities, but easy to reach for me!  O my
Lord, please wake up (and grace).

Again, in Verse 4, he says:

The Veena players are playing their instruments.  The Yazh players
(guitar like instrument) are playing their instruments.  The Vedic
Brahmins are chanting Rig Veda and the Tamizh devotees are chanting Tamizh slokas.
Some are with folded hands.  Some others are prostrating.  Some more weeping.  Some
else are melting in their bodies.  Some more are keeping their hands over their heads and
praying.  O Lord of Tiruperundurai, please take charge of me and rule over me.  Please wake
up and grace.

One cannot describe the Nature, the early morning scenes and Nature's manifestation, better than Manikkavachagar and AndaL.   

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: July 05, 2016, 07:38:23 AM »

How to prepare that divine dish of sweet Pongal?

Take a copper or bronze pot.  Do not for heaven's sake use a
pressure cooker.

Pour a little water and allow it to boil.  Then put one measure of
green grams.  After a few minutes, clean the rice carefully in water
and add three measures of rice.  Allow it to boil.  Then add good
quantity of milk, say about 5 measures and one measure of coconut
water.  Add 4 measures of jaggery, after cleaning it thoroughly.
Stir it and allow it to boil and then let it become a fluid, yellow in color, but not a sticky solid.
Add one measure of ghee and stir it again, till it becomes a coagulant fluid.

Then, put out the fire.  Roast generous quantity of cashew nuts
and dry grapes in ghee.  Add cardamom powder.  Add this roasted
cashew and grapes mixture to the Pongal and stir it again and
then again put out the fire. 

Now serve it.  No need for any side dishes.

Eat shamelessly.  Mooda nei peithu muzhangai vazhi vaara...
Let the ghee trickle down to your elbows.  No shame.

Such a divine Pongal was served on 31st December 2009, in
Sri Ramanasramam, for lunch. 

Arunachala Siva. 

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: July 05, 2016, 06:49:17 PM »
Subramainam Sir

What is the source for the above recipe for Sweet Pongal ? Has it been given in the mountain Path ?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: July 06, 2016, 12:58:55 AM »
Dear atmavichar,

It was an old paper cutting from the Hindu.  I used to keep such "wonderful"  information
for reading later.  It was a page mark in some book.  I felt writing the same.  That is all.

Only the last sentence was added by me.

Arunachala Siva. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 01:00:30 AM by Subramanian.R »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: July 06, 2016, 07:28:35 AM »
Subramaniam Sir

Thanks for the info and I read it to my mother and she told she will try it accordingly .Only doubt - you have mentioned coconut water in that recipe . Is it coconut water or coconut milk ? Can you clarify the same ?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: July 06, 2016, 07:38:58 AM »
Dear atmavichar,

I think it is coconut milk.  You are correct.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: July 06, 2016, 10:48:47 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Subramaniam sir and if possible make that correction in your original post .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: July 07, 2016, 07:46:33 AM »

The INSPIRED ALPHABETS ( A-Z )In the words of Swami Vivekananda

Arise! Awake! and stop not till the goal is reached
Bless men when they revile you
Conquer yourself and the whole universe is yours
Do not merely endure, be unattached
Eat to Him, drink to Him, sleep to Him, see Him in all
First get rid of this delusion,? Iam the body?
Give everything and look for no returns
Homogeneity, sameness is GOD
Incarnations like Buddha, Sri Ramakrishna can give religions
Jnana ?Yoga tells man that he is essentially divine
Knowledge exists, man only discovers
Look at the ocean and not at the wave
Man as Atman is really free, as man he is bound
Never turn back to see the result of what you have done
Out of purity and silence comes the word of power
Perception is our only real knowledge or religion
Quarrels over religion are always over the husks
Religion without philosophy runs into superstition
See no difference between ant and angel
The more our bliss is within, the more spiritual we are
Unchaste imagination is as bad as unchaste action
Vedas cannot show you Brahman, You are already that.
We are human coverings over the Divine
Xs anything is poison
You are good but be better
Zeal with faith(Shraddha); have this everything will follow

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: July 08, 2016, 02:09:11 PM »
Today is Manikkavachagar's liberation day.  Though the exact time period of Manikkavachagar is not
clearly established, the Saiva Maths celebrate his liberation day today.

Manikkavachagar's work Tiruvachakam is well known and Bhagavan used to recite his poems often.
His Tiruvachakam was sung when Azhamma's liberation occurred.

Manikkavachagar's like history has already been given  by me in the serial posts on Saiva Saints.
Though his time is not established clearly, the Maths observe his liberation day today.

His day of liberation is today, Aani month, Magha star day.

Arunachala Siva.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 02:12:33 PM by Subramanian.R »