Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 367125 times)

Sadhak

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1860 on: April 26, 2016, 10:24:35 PM »
There could be someone who thinks everything published in Mountain Path is sacred even if they are typographical errors! There is no point in wasting time trying to reason when somebody says "I don't know, nor I wish to know".  When one cannot face the simple facts of life there is no doubt that endless quotations and discussions on topics like 'awareness' and 'self enquiry' are just time pass. They will understand only when the time comes. Until then they will continue to see 'motives' behind everything.

The first edition of Arunachala's Ramana, Boundless Ocean of Grace also has many editing and typographical errors and is below acceptable standards of publication. Some readers have brought this to the attention of the concerned authorities who have agreed to correct them in the next edition. We must be thankful to these readers who have served the cause of Bhagawan and his devotees in their own way.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: April 26, 2016, 11:38:37 PM »
sadhak,

We must be thankful to these readers who have served the cause of Bhagawan and his devotees in their own way.

Serving the cause of Bhagavan!....Bhagavan would perhaps say: 'Serve your cause.Find out who you truly are.' We know that Bhagavan did not serve 'his cause' when a keralite wanted to publish a biography where he depicted Bhagavan as a householder with 4 children.Bhagavan simply corrected the spelling and gave it back for 'publishing'......ha,ha.

Let me rephrase:"We are indebted to those devotees for serving our cause."

Just to reiterate here that I love anilbhai for who he is.... notwithstanding his  'sensitivity' which perhaps is part of someone's personality and we all have some such outer cloak that we wear.

I do not shrink from pointing out anything.....I am not afraid of being misunderstood.....I have nothing to gain or lose.

I always love this saying of Sri Yukteswar,guru of Paramahansa Yogananda:
"Human conduct is ever unreliable until man is anchored in the Divine. Everything in the future will improve if you are making a spiritual effort now."

Namaskar.

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: April 27, 2016, 02:02:53 AM »
" We must be thankful to these readers who have served the cause of Bhagawan and his devotees in their own way."

This is from the standpoint of those readers and the rest of the population, the ashram, and the rest who consider themselves as devotees. I thought it was clear but obviously not.

.Bhagavan would perhaps say: 'Serve your cause.Find out who you truly are.'

Have no interest or capacity in predicting what Bhagawan (or any Jnani) would say in this or that situation.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: April 27, 2016, 08:03:38 AM »
sadhak,

" We must be thankful to these readers who have served the cause of Bhagawan and his devotees in their own way."

This is from the standpoint of those readers and the rest of the population, the ashram, and the rest who consider themselves as devotees. I thought it was clear but obviously not.

Very clear Sir!....ha,ha....you seem to have not got the Humor (and also the seriousness)....that Bhagavan has no cause to be espoused by anyone.....ha,ha.

I have just clipped that part....the serving of a nonexistent 'cause of bhagavan'....ha,ha.

and have said what you have said....:"We are indebted to those devotees for serving our cause.".

In other words when we realize that Bhagavan is ourselves....that Bhagavan is everyone......that Bhagavan is Sri Ramakrishna,is Papa Ramdas,is Sri Adi Sankara,is 'Hari,et,all'......we would have served 'our cause'.

Ha,ha.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: April 27, 2016, 08:28:42 PM »
Anil,

yes, certainly, one who sees defects in persons and things as great as Sri Sadhu Om, Sri Muruganar, Sri Ramanasramam, Mountain Path, etc., must resort to the use of trusted divine weapons, for only on these occasions Sri Bhagwan's divine weapons are most efficacious.

I certainly do not agree with some ideas of Sri Sadhu om....also ,I would have preferred had Sri Muruganar captured Sri Bhagavan's conversation as it is(like the way 'M' had done for Sri Ramakrishna) and not conveyed it in an archaic tamizh poetry that few can follow.

Regarding the 'Mountain path' ,I have already explained clearly.

These are not to be viewed as being 'disrespectful' to them.....No guru  I have moved with  have ever said that one has to accept all that they said and did.....they gave the utmost freedom to take whatever is beneficial.

Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of sri Ramakrishna:
Master:It is said in the Gita that if a man is respected and honoured by many, whether it be for his scholarship or his music or his oratory or anything else, then you may know for certain that he is endowed with a special divine power."
A BRAMO (to the sub-judge): "Why don't you accept what he says?"
MASTER (sharply, to the Brahmo): "What sort of man are you? To accept words without conviction! Why, that is hypocrisy! I see you are only a counterfeit."
The Brahmo was much embarrassed.

Swami Vivekananda never accepted initially what Sri Ramakrishna said .....and the master gave him full freedom.....He gave similiar freedom to every one of his disciples.....He used to ask the disciples regarding their faith and would encourage them along those lines......This is the way all Great masters taught and guided earnest devotees.

I hope that we do not have to be like the way some Christians insist.....If you are a Christian,you have to accept Jesus as the only savior,The Bible as the Gospel without questioning,The Pope as the authority and the Church as the place of worship.....and if anyone who does not do it or has a different point of view.....he is not a 'christian'.

I think I have made the views expressed, clear for your understanding and review......I have no need to justify or prove my credentials here or elsewhere...So,I will just end up this particular discussion/clarification with you on this note.

Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind.-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Namaskar

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: April 27, 2016, 10:25:50 PM »
I hope that we do not have to be like the way some Christians insist.....If you are a Christian,you have to accept Jesus as the only savior,The Bible as the Gospel without questioning,The Pope as the authority and the Church as the place of worship.....and if anyone who does not do it or has a different point of view.....he is not a 'christian'.

The root of this attitude is misunderstanding/ignorance of what Jesus said. Sayings like "I am the light, the way" are misunderstood to mean that Jesus (the physical form) is the only way to Truth! Not the enquiry into 'I am'. The same attitude is carried by a few about Bhagawan. Their view alone is right, what they judge to be 'great' must be accepted as such and those who question such assumptions are pseudo pundits who do not own allegiance and fidelity to his teachings. Clearly they will not issue a certificate of 'devotee' to those who question them! :o  Even if the editors of Mountain Path admit their errors.

Best to end this discussion.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: April 27, 2016, 11:00:59 PM »
Gita Verses-Nimirndhu Nil ( Tamil Movie )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne9a997_lUw

The song starts with a mediocre intro and turns into a rhythmic and strong one once the versere are up.  So.. Here goes the lyrics and meaning of the verses of this song from Shrimad Bhagavad Gita.

The song was composed with verses 16, 18, 27, 28 and 37 of Chapter 2 "Sankhya yoga" (a) "The eternal reality of the Soul's immortality".  These verses, that convey very deep meaning, are some of the words of advice from Shri Krishna to convince Arjuna into the inevitable war (which Arjuna laments as his unfortunate situation) to fight against Arjuna's (evil) relatives and teachers.

BHAGAVATH GITA  -  CHAPTER 2  - Sankhya yoga

VERSE : 16 
Meaning: The unreal (the non-existent/the material body) has no duration (endurance/ everlastingness);   And the real (eternal soul) has no cessation ( end / changing quality ).  These conclusions (of both of the two) have indeed been observed by seers of Truth.

VERSE : 18 
Meaning:
All these material bodies (of kurukshetra warriors) are sure to come to an end; the embodied soul is eternal in existence, immeasurable and indestructible.  Therefore, fight, (Arjuna / O descendant of) Bharata.

VERSE : 27 

Meaning:
For one who has taken birth, death is certain; and for one who is dead, birth is certain.  Therefore you should not lament for your inevitable duty.

VERSE : 28 
Meaning:
All that are created are non-manifest in the beginning; (they become) manifest in middle; (and they become) non-manifest again when vanquished. So, what is the need for lamentation?

VERSE : 37 
Meaning:
Slain, you will win a place in heaven; Victorious, you will enjoy the earth.  Therefore, O son of Kunthi, get up and fight, for victory is certain.
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: April 28, 2016, 06:59:37 AM »
Saturday, July 21, 1883
It was about four o'clock in the afternoon when Sri Ramakrishna, with Ramlal and one or two other devotees, started from Dakshineswar for Calcutta in a carriage. As the carriage passed the gate of the Kali temple, they met M. coming on foot with four mangoes in his hand. The carriage stopped and M. saluted the Master. Sri Ramakrishna was going to visit some of his devotees in Calcutta.
MASTER (to M., with a smile): "Come with us. We are going to Adhar's house."
M. got joyfully into the carriage. Having received an English education, he did not believe in the tendencies inherited from previous births. But he had admitted a few days before that it was on account of Adhar's good tendencies from past births that he showed such great devotion to the Master. Later on he had thought about this subject and had discovered that he was not yet completely convinced about inherited tendencies. He had come to Dakshineswar that day to discuss the matter with Sri Ramakrishna.
MASTER: "Well, what do you think of Adhar?"
M: "He has great yearning for God."
MASTER: "Adhar, too, speaks very highly of you."
M. remained silent awhile and then began to speak of past tendencies.
M: "I haven't much faith in rebirth and inherited tendencies. Will that in any way injure my devotion to God?"
Everything is possible for God
MASTER: "It is enough to believe that all is possible in God's creation. Never allow the thought to cross your mind that your ideas are the only true ones, and that those of others are false. Then God will explain everything.
"What can a man understand of God's activities? The facets of God's creation are infinite. I do not try to understand God's actions at all. I have heard that everything is possible in God's creation, and I always bear that in mind. Therefore I do not give a thought to the world, but meditate on God alone. Once Hanuman was asked, 'What day of the lunar month is it?' Hanuman said: 'I don't know anything about the day of the month, the position of the moon and stars, or any such things. I think of Rama alone.'
"Can one ever understand the work of God? He is so near; still it is not possible for us to know Him. Balarama did not realize that Krishna was God."
M: "That is true, sir."

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: April 28, 2016, 07:11:46 AM »
It was evening. Sri Ramakrishna was sitting on the small couch in his room, absorbed in meditation on the Divine Mother. The evening worship in the temples began, with the music of gong and conch-shell. M. was going to spend the night with the Master.
Ater a time Sri Ramakrishna asked M. to read from the Bhaktamala, a book about the Vaishnava saints.
Story of a Vaishnava devotee
M. read:
There was a king named Jayamal who loved Krishna with all his heart. He followed with unfailing devotion all the rites and ceremonies associated with the adoration of Krishna, whom he worshipped under the name of Syamalasundara. Completely satisfied with his own Ideal Deity, he never directed his attention to any other god or goddess. One of the inflexible rules of his devotions was to worship the Deity daily till almost midday. He would never deviate from this practice, even at the risk of his wealth or his kingdom.Learning this secret, an enemy king invaded the kingdom during the morning hours. Jayamal's soldiers could not fight without his command; so they watched the invasion silently. Slowly the enemy surrounded the moat of the capital; yet Jayamal did not come out of his shrine room. His mother came to him and wept bitterly, trying to persuade the king to fight. He said to her calmly: "Why are you worried? Syamalasundara gave me this kingdom. What can I do if He has decided to take it away? On the other hand, none will be able to do me harm if He protects me. Our own efforts are vain!" And actually, in the mean time, Syamalasundara, the Deity Himself, had taken the king's horse from the stable and had ridden fully armed to the field. Alone He faced the hostile king and alone destroyed his army. Having crushed the enemy forces, the Deity returned to the temple and fastened the horse near by.Jayamal, on completing his worship, came out and discovered the horse there, panting and covered with sweat. "Who has been riding my horse?" he demanded. "Who brought it to the temple?" The officers declared they knew nothing about it. In a pensive mood the king proceeded to the battle-field with his army and there found the enemy, with the exception of their leader, lying dead. He was staring uncomprehendingly at the scene, when the enemy king approached, worshipped him, and said: "Please permit me to tell you something. How could I fight? You have a warrior who could conquer the entire world. I do not want your wealth or your kingdom; indeed, I will gladly give you my own, if you will tell me about that Blue Warrior, your friend. No sooner did I turn my eyes on him than he cast a spell on my heart and soul."
Jayamal then realized it had been none other than Syamalasundara that had appeared on the battle-field. The enemy king understood too. He worshipped Jayamal and through his blessings received Krishna's grace.

MASTER: "Do you believe all that? Do you believe Krishna rode on that horse and killed Jayamal's enemies?"
M: "I believe that Jayamal, Krishna's devotee, prayed to Him with a yearning heart. But I don't know whether the enemy really saw Him coming to the battle-field on a horse. Krishna might have come there riding the horse, but I do not know whether they really saw Him."
MASTER (with a smile): "The book contains nice stories about devotees. But it is onesided.Also, it abuses those who differ with its views."

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: April 29, 2016, 07:40:10 AM »
AT THE STAR THEATRE (II) ,Sunday, December 14,1884
Sri Ramakrishna arrived at the Star Theatre on Beadon Street in Calcutta to see a play about the life of Prahlada. M., Baburam, Narayan, and other devotees were with him.The hall was brightly lighted. The play had not yet begun. The Master was seated in a box, talking with Girish.
MASTER (smiling): "Ah! You have written nice plays."
Assimilation of spiritual ideas
GIRISH: "But, sir, how little I assimilate! I just write."
MASTER: "No, you assimilate a great deal. The other day I said to you that no one could sketch a divine character unless he had love of God in his heart.Yes, one needs to assimilate spiritual ideas. I went to Keshab's house to see the play,Nava-Vrindavan. I saw a deputy magistrate there who earned eight hundred rupees a month. Everyone said that he was a very learned man; but I found him restless because of a boy, his son. He was very anxious to find a good seat for the boy; he paid no attention to the spiritual conversation of the players. The boy was pestering him with questions: 'Father! What is this? What is that?' He was extremely busy with the boy. You see, he merely read books; but he didn't assimilate their ideas."
GIRISH: "I often ask myself, 'Why bother about the theatre any more?'"
MASTER: "No, no! Let things be as they are. People will learn much from your plays."
Master sees a performance
The performance began. Prahlada was seen entering the schoolroom as a student. At the sight of him Sri Ramakrishna uttered once or twice the word " Prahlada" and went into samadhi.
During another scene Sri Ramakrishna wept to see Prahlada under an elephant's feet. He cried when the boy was thrown into the fire.
The scene changed. Lakshmi and Narayana were seen seated in Goloka. Narayana was worried about Prahlada. This scene, too, threw Sri Ramakrishna into an ecstatic mood.

After the performance Girish conducted Sri Ramakrishna to his private room in the theatre. He said to the Master, "Would you care to see the farce, Vivaha Vibhrata [The Confusion of Marriage']?"
MASTER: "Oh, no! Why something like that after the life of Prahlada? I once said to the leader of a theatrical troupe, 'End your performance with some religious talk.' We have been listening to such wonderful spiritual conversation; and now to see 'The Confusion of Marriage'! A worldly topic! We should become our old selves again? We should return to our old mood?"
GIRISH: "How did you like the performance?"
MASTER: "I found that it was God Himself who was acting the different parts. Those who played the female parts seemed to me the direct embodiments of the Blissful Mother, and the cowherd boys of Goloka the embodiments of Narayana Himself. It was God alone who had become all these."
Signs of God-vision & Different moods of liberated souls
"There are signs by which you can know whether a man has truly seen God. One of these is joy; there is no hesitancy in him. He is like the ocean: the waves and sounds are on the surface; below are profound depths. The man who has seen God behaves sometimes like a madman; sometimes like a ghoul, without any feeling of purity or impurity; sometimes like an inert thing, remaining speechless because he sees God within and without; sometimes like a child, without any attachment, wandering about unconcernedly with his cloth under his arm. Again, in the mood of a child, he acts in different ways: sometimes like a boy, indulging in frivolity; sometimes like a young man, working and teaching with the strength of a lion.
"Man cannot see God on account of his ego. You cannot see the sun when a cloud rises in the sky. But that doesn't mean there is no sun; the sun is there just the same.
"But there is no harm in the 'ego of a child'. On the contrary, this ego is helpful. Greens are bad for the stomach; but hinche is good. So hinche cannot properly be called greens. Sugar candy, likewise, cannot be classed with other sweets. Other sweets are injurious to the health, but not sugar candy.
So I said to Keshab, 'If I tell you more than I have already said, you won't be able to keep your organization together.' That frightened him. Then I said to him, 'There is no harm in the 'ego of a child' or the 'ego of a servant'.
He who has seen God finds that God alone has become the world and all its living beings; it is He who has become all. Such a person is called a superior devotee.
"

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:56:24 AM by Ravi.N »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: April 29, 2016, 05:46:58 PM »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: April 29, 2016, 07:57:11 PM »
Once a debate raged among the devotees of bhagavan that so and so is great,nay the other one is great and this lasted for days. Atlast it was referred to Sri Bhagavan for adjudication.Sri Bhagavan kept silent without any response. As there was no clarity or conclusion ,the debate continued vigorously in the very presence of Sri Bhagavan. Sri Bhagavan the beguiler, realizing  that they were not going to spare him,began to speak . Like a crafty person, he spoke a few words to the liking of one group and a few words to the liking of the other group. He then said: 'Howsoever one may attempt (to portray), truth alone lasts. People cannot bestow  bondage or liberation upon someone. It is natural for everyone to think that the whole world should recognize and praise him; yet by such thinking one cannot attain to happiness or greatness, for he who does not satisfy god is lowly only. In whatever manner one surrenders one's body and mind to god, Iswara exalts him to be recognized and admired by the world.

Sri Bhagavan then quoted the following three songs from vairagya satakam, sivabodha saram and Sivananda lahari respectively:

1.You desire that the world should proclaim you as a Great one
The iswara who resides in you alone confers Bondage or freedom
What avails it if others know it or not
Be devoted to the Lotus feet of God, Oh mind
Then iswara would raise you to be acknowledged and admired by the world.
                                                                                                                          -vairagya satakam

2. The Scriptures extol the greatness of those
who do not seek their own greatness
Pray tell me, who else shall bear the pain of the world
Other than those who trumpet that they are great?                     
                                                                                                                             -sivabodha saram

3. O Consort of Bhavani! What cannot be attained by one  who worships your lotus feet?
From him Yama keeps away, fearing a kick on the chest
The celestials do him nirajana (offering of the camphor light) by the light of diamonds set in their crowns
The bride Mukti, locks him in embrace, as soon as she sees him.What is impossible for him to attain?
                                                                                                                -sivananda lahari (Verse 65)

Entry no.20,from Sri Annamalai Swami's Diary
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 07:41:58 AM by Ravi.N »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: April 30, 2016, 11:04:29 AM »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: May 02, 2016, 01:45:08 PM »
Today is Tirunavukkarasa Naynar Guru Pooja.

Chittirai - Sadhaya star day

The life history of Tirunavukkarasar has already been covered by me while covering the life stories of
63 Saiva Saints.  The members are requested to go through the same. 

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: May 04, 2016, 11:29:21 AM »

Today i.,e  Wed 4 May 2016 is the Aradhana ( Mahanirvana day ) of Bhagavan Ramana and today also happens to be Pradosham day . So did Bhagavan Ramana attained Nirvana on a Pradosham day ?