Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 336047 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1710 on: January 20, 2016, 06:49:14 AM »

By any of those curious squirks of history, there is a connection between the ancient philosophy of India
and a group of American citizens of the mid 19th century, who came to be known as Boston Brahmins!  Among this distinguished clan were two individuals who more than any others resonated to the call of
India and wrote exceptional works that made a deep impact on the generations that followed.  These were Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau.  Particularly the latter's work WALDEN is still read today
for its common sense and wonderful descriptions of nature.  He wrote this masterpiece, staying as
a guest to Emerson, during his short life of 43 years.  Thoreau's short article On the Duty of Civil Disobedience, inspired Mahatma Gandhi and later Martin Luther King.

People, particularly Westerners who had felt that one must 'do something', often asked Bhagavan Ramana, what He was doing to 'help' the world.  Bhagavan always smiled and asked: "Who is there, other
than oneself in this dream world?"  If the questioner could not grasp this statement, He would come
down to their level and say in effect:  "How do you know I am not helping?" Bhagavan Ramana's very Presence was sufficient to influence anyone in he world, whose mind and heart is open, to a higher
realm of understanding.  Spiritual truths are not inhibited by time and space as anyone who has come
into contact with Bhagavan Ramana's grace today knows. 

Bhagavan may have been a historical figure but it would be foolish to think that it all ended in April
1950, when His physical body died.  If anything, His influence has only grown with the passing years and particularly in the last two decades, when His face and words are so readily available in innumerable books and on the world wide web.

There was the special charisma which Bhagavan naturally displayed for how many stories have we read or heard about someone who was utterly transformed by one piercing look from His eyes! 
Balakrishna Menon, later Swami Chinmayananda had said that His one piercing look was enough to 'understand' everything, and all his six years of spiritual training in Uttara Kasi later, were only
repetitions!].

For many when they first read something by Bhagavan Ramana, are struck by the truthfulness of the statements.  They are self evident and resonate deep in the heart far away from the crowded world of explanations, in which our normal mind indulges. With Thoreau, there is a similar timbre in his descriptions
of nature and observations about human nature. These simple words, by a man who was admired by
a small circle of contemporaries who were nonetheless puzzled by his lack of seeming purpose, have
come down to us today as treasures which we reflect on and which nourish us.

(Source: Editorial, Mountain Path, July-Sep 2008)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: January 21, 2016, 07:00:30 AM »

Even Advaita or any Hindu philosophy says that ego is an enemy. What is ego, it is contaminated Jiva?
It is always with you, like a nagging wife.  You cannot divorce your wife just because she is nagging,
because she does many other useful work for you.  Better to ignore or turn a deaf ear to
her nagging!

Jiva + contamination =  Egoistic Jiva.  (like Ravana in Ramayana)

Jiva - minus contamination =  Pure Jiva = Suddha Tattvam = Brahman.  (like Rama in Ramayana)

Like Marx and Lenin said in post World War:  "Workers of the world, unite, you shall lose nothing but
your chains!"  Brahman says to Jiva:  " Unite with me after losing your chains!"

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: January 21, 2016, 07:06:05 AM »

Krishna has said:

"O Son of Kunti, wisdom is clouded by desire. This constant enemy of the wise is as insatiable as fire.
(Ch. 3, v 39.)"

Admittedly there is an entire school of religious thoughts that refute this position a being of the less
mature path of bhakti.  They have voluminous advaitic scriptures of the jnana marga, that can be
interpreted to support their claims.  Regardless of this, there is universal agreement among all sects
that due to adharma, and the spiritual blindness ensuing from it, an embodiment of divine state
of perfection, appears among humankind from time to time, to establish dharma in the world.

In our times, Bhagavan Ramana came forth as an embodiment of that Perfection.  His teaching is
recognized and accepted as the Maha Yoga, great path to union with godhead, though primarily
the Jnana marga.  Although, He did say that to be true Jnani one would simultaneously become a true
bhakta and vice versa.

To know the truth regarding the need for a guru, to lead one through the perils of engagement with
an enemy that roams free in a world ablaze with its desires of un-appeasable fire, let us listen to the
voice of the Maharshi, and the comments of one who lived by His side.  Bhagavan Ramana said:

"The guru is the formless Self within each one of us.  He may appear as a body to guide us, but that
is only his disguise......the function of the outer guru is to awaken the inner guru in the heart."
[Arthur Osborne, Be Still, It is the Wind that sings.  p.80.]  The guru realizes the ultimate truth that:
"There is no being of the unreal and no not-being of the Real."..."And yet, paradoxically, it is also an impediment to assert that no effort need be made, on the pretext that, as 'there is no being of the
unreal and no not-being of the Real', one is that now and has therefore no need to arrive to become That. 
It sounds plausible, but it is an impediment because, it is the pseudo-self, the illusory unreal, that is saying it.  The Master can say that there is nothing to achieve because one is That already.  The disciple cannot...... Bhagavan expected the devotee to make effort, even while appreciating the paradox that there is no effort
to make.  In the same way, He would say that for the Realized Man there is no guru-disciple relationship
but added that for the disciple the relationship is a reality, and is of importance."  [ULLadu Narpadu, Anubandham]. [Also Arthur Osborne. op.cit. p.76]

(Source:  As indicated earlier.)

Arunachala Siva. 

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: January 21, 2016, 10:13:53 AM »
Subramanian,

It is always with you, like a nagging wife.  You cannot divorce your wife just because she is nagging, because she does many other useful work for you.  Better to ignore or turn a deaf ear to  her nagging!

Ha,ha....I thoroughly enjoyed your entertaining as well as instructive  post.As Sri Bhagavan said,that if the 'I' dies,all the three wives can be widowed instantly.Yes,no divorce is possible or will be allowed in the court of the Divine.A 'death' petition may be considered in the court.

Namaskar

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: January 21, 2016, 12:52:33 PM »
Kannappa Nayanar - Liberation Day:

I have already written about it last year.  I do not want to repeat it again. Please go through
my older posts.

Arunachala Siva.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: January 22, 2016, 01:17:34 PM »
Excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
M. was still living in a separate house with his wife, on account of a misunderstanding with the other members of his family.
MASTER (to Bannerji, pointing to M.): "He also lives in a separate house. You two will get along very well. Once two men happened to meet. One said to the other, 'Who are you?''Oh, I am away from my country', was the other's reply. The second man then asked the first, 'And who are you, pray?' 'Oh, I am away from my beloved', was the answer. Both were in the same plight; so they got along very well. (All laugh.)
"But one need not have any fear if one takes refuge in God. God protects His devotee."
HARI: "Well, why does it take many people such a long time to realize Him?"
MASTER: "The truth is that a man doesn't feel restless for God unless he is finished with his enjoyments and duties. The physician says, referring to the patient: 'Let a few days pass first. Then a little medicine will do him good.'
"Narada said to Rama: 'Rama, You are passing Your time in Ayhodhya. How will Ravana be killed? You have taken this human body for that purpose alone.' Rama replied: 'Narada, let the right time come. Let Ravana's past actions begin to bear fruit. Then everything will be made ready for his death.' "
HARI: "Why is there so much suffering in the world?"
MASTER: "This world is the līlāof God. It is like a game. In this game there are joy and sorrow, virtue and vice, knowledge and ignorance, good and evil. The game cannot
continue if sin and suffering are altogether eliminated from the creation.
"In the game of hide-and-seek one must touch the 'granny' in order to be free. But the 'granny' is never pleased if she is touched at the very outset. It is God's wish that the play should continue for some time. Then-

Out of a hundred thousand kites, at best but one or two break free;
And Thou dost laugh and clap Thy hands, O Mother, watching them!

In other words, after the practice of hard spiritual discipline, one or two have the vision of God, through His grace, and are liberated. Then the Divine Mother claps Her hands in joy and exclaims, 'Bravo! There they go!' "

HARI: "But this play of God is our death."

MASTER (smiling): "Please tell me who you are. God alone has become all this-maya, the universe, living beings, and the twenty-four cosmic principles. 'As the snake I bite, and as the charmer I cure.' It is God Himself who has become both vidya and avidya. He remains deluded by the maya of avidya, ignorance. Again, with the help of the guru, He is cured by the maya of vidya, Knowledge.

The above excerpt helps to reconcile all seeming opposites.Whether one is 'away from the Beloved' or 'away from my country'-Both amounts to the same thing.

"As the snake I bite, and as the charmer I cure."(As long as we admit 'ignorance'(avidya) we need to admit 'Knowledge'(Vidya).We cannot say that 'Knowledge' is not enough to remove 'Ignorance' and that only Divine will can remove 'ignorance' as if 'Ignorance' is absolute and can survive independent of 'Knowledge'

As Sri Bhagavan said:
By the inquiry 'Who am I?'. The thought 'who am I?' will destroy all other thoughts, and like the stick used for stirring the burning pyre, it will itself in the end get destroyed. Then, there will arise Self-realization.

Namaskar

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: January 22, 2016, 01:21:56 PM »
Arivattaya Naynar - Liberation Day.

Thai month, Tiruvadirai Star Day:

I have already covered the story of Arivattaya Naynar.  Please go through my earlier post.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: January 24, 2016, 07:10:31 AM »
Some friends are writing about Eckhart Tolle in the Forum.  I happened to read a book review in
Mountain Path, on his book "A NEW EARTH" [Penguin India, Rs 300.00). I have not read any of
his books.  I am in two minds, whether to buy such books.  Anyway the review, as given in MP, further
abridged by me.

The author says that the purpose of his latest book A NEW EARTH, is to 'bring about a shift in
consciousness, that is to say, 'to awaken.'  And that the mere reading of the book can awaken those
who are ready.  This would place the book in the category of very rarefied sacred writing, an arguable assertion for sure.  Nevertheless the author's presentation is most readable, accessible, and practical
so would be of interest to anyone seriously concerned with personal and global transformation.

His argument starts like this:  All spiritual traditions have two core insights.  First, the "normal state
of mind "of most human beings contains a strong element of what we might call "dysfunction", --
'maya' in the Hindu tradition, 'dhukka' in the Buddhist and then secondly, 'the good news is the possibility
of a radical transformation of human consciousness' variously known as enlightenment, liberation or awakening.

The first half is devoted to describing the ego, the root cause of this dysfunction.  Tolle shows the
reader very vividly all the 'normal', everyday strategies that our ego uses to constantly reassure
ourselves that we exist and any honest reader will certainly but uncomfortably recognize all of them in themselves.  But there are some other which are more subtle and subversive... like constant need for more, complaining and resentment.  All these emotions constitute what Tolle calls the 'pain body'.  The author defines it as a 'semi autonomous energy form' that thrives in negative thinking and is addicted to unhappiness.  The 'pain body' is not only individual but also partakes of humanity, which is a history
of continuous tribal warfare, enslavement, pillage, rape, torture, and other forms of violence.  This pain
lives in the collective psyche of humanity.

The good news, the way out of this dysfunction comprises the second half of the book, which is mostly author's reiteration of his  first book, THE POWER OF NOW.   This is about, primarily dis-identifying with form and discovering one's true identity through being present in the now.  There is hardly any new material in the second book, as Tolle would himself admit.

Tolle says that this recognition of illusion is also its ending.  BUT IF ONLY IT WERE THIS EASY.

Probably due to the phenomenal international success of THE POWER OF NOW, and his own experience
as a very popular New Age Guru, Tolle feels that the humanity is desperately searching for a new consciousness, and hence this book and his optimistic ending:  The foundation for a new earth is a new heaven, -- the awakened consciousness.  The earth, -- external reality -- is only its outer reflection. 

Nothing is "going " to make is free, because  only the present moment can make us free.

(Source:  Book Review, Mountain Path, July-Sep 2008)

Arunachala Siva.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: January 24, 2016, 08:54:39 AM »
Subramanian,

I am in two minds, whether to buy such books.

I have come across some passages from Echart Tolle and know people who have read his books and appreciated them.I only know this-that all those people now only hold onto the teachings of Sri Bhagavan and only talk about Sri Bhagavan's words.I have not heard them mention Tolle any more.This is purely an observation and I am not trying to interpret.

Yesterday there was an interesting Talk by Sri Rajiv Malhotra on his latest book 'The Battle for Sanskrit' at the Ramakrishna Mutt,Mylapore followed by a question & Answer session.This throws light on what is happening in the world to undermine the culture & Tradition of sanatana Dharma.It is interesting to listen to what Sri Raiv says,and to assign its due place and welcome such an approach as well.

You may go through this video of his talk at Samskrita Bharati,Bangalore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTqYzCmJyEQ

Namaskar
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:07:10 AM by Ravi.N »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: January 24, 2016, 01:36:23 PM »
Today is Thai  Poosam, Makara month, Pushya Nakshatra day.  This day is important for Lord Muruga.
In all the six important abodes and in all Murugan temples, today is celebrated as a festival day.
After abhishekam, alankaram and arti, the Muruga is prayed to by all devotees.  This day is also
a celebration day for Muruga Temples in Malaysia, Singapore. and other places in which there are
Murugan temples.  In Delhi, there is one Uttara Swamimalai. Here too there is good alankaram and
arti.

In many temples, they give anna dana,  (food) for devotees who had come for the darshan.
In Pazhani, Panchamirtham is given after puja.

Arunachala Siva. 

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: January 25, 2016, 02:59:17 AM »
I am in two minds, whether to buy such books.

Tolle (like Deepak Chopra) has openly admitted that his teaching is based on Bhagawan and Krishnamurti. But I think he is genuinely mistaken. A lot of modern 'gurus' make this fundamental mistake. At the end of the day, they all talk about ways to IMPROVE the self, which is why you often see their books in the self improvement section of book shops. But both Bhagawan and Krishnamurti only talk about ending the self/ego. An entirely different thing.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: January 27, 2016, 06:51:54 AM »

We are all Awareness.  It is the vasanas, which are like clouds, that obstructs its revealing.
The vasanas are carried from the previous births and it appear right from the moment
the child is born.  It looks for mother's breast for milk!  People without vasanas are always Awareness.
There is one Nammazhwar in Sri Vaishnavism.  He was born under a tamarind tree.  He is ayonija,
born not through a mother's womb.  He therefore cared for nothing.  He just consumed air and lived!
He is called Sadagopa, for the same reason.

Arunachala Siva.

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: January 27, 2016, 09:49:50 PM »
The vasanas are carried from the previous births and it appear right from the moment
the child is born.  It looks for mother's breast for milk! 

I have my strong doubts whether this is the correct understanding of vasanas. Biological functions are meant to proceed a certain way (food, digestion, respiration etc). One could say these functions also work as they do by the command of God. Almost all jnanis drank mothers milk, including Bhagawan I am sure. The core teaching being 'I am not the body', 'Who am I?', it is best to not focus on bodily functions.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: January 28, 2016, 01:58:21 PM »
Chandikeswara Nayanar - Liberation Day:

Today is the liberation day of Chandikeswara Nayanar. Thai month Uttiram Nakshatram.

I have already covered Chandikeswara Nayanar in my previous round of 63 Saints.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:00:19 PM by Subramanian.R »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: January 29, 2016, 11:46:01 AM »
The concentration on ?I am? is a form of attention. Give your undivided attention to the most important thing in your life ? yourself. Of your personal universe you are the center ? without knowing the center what else can you know?

My advice to you is very simple ? just remember yourself, ?I am?, it is enough to heal your mind and take you beyond, just have some trust. I don?t mislead you. Why should I? Do I want anything from you? I wish you well ? such is my nature. Why should I mislead you?

Commonsense too will tell you that to fulfill a desire you must keep your mind on it. If you want to know your true nature, you must have yourself in mind all the time, until the secret of your being stands revealed.

- I AM THAT
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha