Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 364923 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #855 on: March 09, 2014, 09:26:28 AM »
Friends,
For those interested in who Roger whittaker is and how he sings,please listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPt9mizw8a0

You may explore his other songs on youtube-a wonderful singer with a magnificient voice.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 23, 2014, 03:38:07 PM »
Friends,
Here is a wonderful verse of ThAyumanavar,Verse 1 of engu niRaiginRa PoruL(All Pervasive Being):

அவனன்றி யோரணுவும் அசையாதெ னும்பெரிய
      ஆப்தர்மொழி யொன்றுகண்டால்
   அறிவாவ தேதுசில அறியாமை ஏதிவை
      அறிந்தார்கள் அறியார்களார்
மௌனமொ டிருந்ததார் என்போ லுடம்பெலாம்
      வாயாய்ப் பிதற்றுமவரார்
   மனதெனவும் ஒருமாயை எங்கே இருந்துவரும்
      வன்மையொ டிரக்கமெங்கே
புவனம் படைப்பதென் கர்த்தவிய மெவ்விடம்
      பூதபே தங்களெவிடம்
   பொய்மெயிதம் அகிதமேல் வருநன்மை தீமையொடு
      பொறைபொறா மையுமெவ்விடம்
எவர்சிறிய ரெவர்பெரிய ரெவருறவ ரெவர்பகைஞர்
      யாதுமுனை யன்றியுண்டோ
   இகபர மிரண்டினிலும் உயிரினுக் குயிராகி
      எங்குநிறை கின்றபொருளே.

"Not an atom moveth without Him" -
If this great saying of the wise is realized,
Where then is knowledge?
Where then is ignorance?
Who are they that knew this?
Who are they that knew this not?
Who are they that in silentness sat?
Who are they that are loquacious like me,
My entire body turned into mouth?
Where doth the illusion, that is mind, come from?

Where is cruelty from?
Where is compassion from?
Why the creation of this universe?
Why the lordly functions arising therefrom?
Why these diverse elements?

Why truth and falsehood?
Why pleasantness and unpleasantness?
Why good and evil?
Why beneficient things to be?
Why the disasters to follow?
Why the patience and impatience?

Who are small?
Who are great?
Who are friends?
Who are enemies?
All, all none but Thee!
Oh! Thou the Pervasive Being
That is Life of life
Of this world and next!

Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 29, 2014, 09:48:55 AM »
Balaji,

பேய்தனம் விடவிடாப் பேயாப் பிடித்தெனை
        பேயனாக் கினையென் னருணாசலா.

O Arunachala,having possessed me as an unexorcisable demon in order to exorcise
       my demon nature (the ego), you made me a demoniac (one possessed by the demon of your Grace). 
       What a wonder this is!

பேய் pEy means Ghost;it cannot be translated as a Demon.Michael James translation is not accurate and sometimes quite offkey.
In this Sri Bhagavan is referring to the 'Ego' as a Ghost as it has no form and yet is the root cause of all mischief.If examined it is found to be nonexistent!
Please note that only a Ghost can be exorcised and not a Demon.A Demon is a being and has to be killed.

I have found some of Sadhu Om's interpretation  Rationalized(to keep up with Advaitic Sadhana)and a little roundabout and missing the directness and simplicity of the Original.

Example:is verse 55 which is translated by Michael James(as per Sadhu Om's Comments).I am copying it from your post earlier:

நின்னெரி யெரித்தெனை நீறாக் கிடுமுன்
 னின்னருண் மழைபொழி யருணாசலா

O Arunachala, before the fire ( of my intense longing ) for You burns me and reduces me to ashes,  shower upon me the rain of Your grace(there by enabling me to attain You).

This interpretation completely misses the beauty and directness of the Original.

நின்னெரி ninneri =Your Fire and just cannot be interpreted as 'Fire of my intense Longing'.Ir refers to the Fire of Jnana or JnAna agni that consumes everything leaving nothing behind but only நீறு=The Holy Ash that represents Siva.

The பொழி pozhi is better interpreted as பொழிகின்ற =Dost Rain and not as a Simple Verb as 'Rain Thy Grace'

The Verse then can be translated as :

Thou dost Rain thy Grace (Long)before thou burn me into ash in the Thy Fire(of Jnana) ,O ArunAchala!

This is to say that in the days of Ignorance,even unknown to the Devotee ,ArunAchala Rains forth its Grace and prepares him in so many ways ,making him seek Truth and Finally consuming his Ego.Such is the Nature of Grace!

It is not as if the 'Rain of Grace' is onething and 'The Fire of JnAna' is another;That one is cool and the other is 'Hot' .It is just Grace that does everything.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 29, 2014, 09:53:09 AM »
Balaji/Friends,
I wished to share this wonderful Abhang of the Great Saint TukAram where he sings  about the  'MothE Bhoot' ,similiar to what Sri Bhagavan has referred to as விடாப் பேய்,The Ghost that never lets Go in Verse 71 here.

The Ghost in Pandhari

पंढरीचे भूत मोठे
आल्या गेल्या झडपी वाटे

बहु खेचरीचं रान
बघ हे वेडे होय मन

जाऊ नका कोणी, तिथे जाऊ नका कोणी
जे गेले, नाही आले परतोनी

तुका पंढरीसी गेला
पुन्हा जन्मा नाही आला

PanDarichE bhooth mothE
AlyA gElyA jadapi vAtE

Bahu khEcharicham rAna
BaGha hE vEtE hOya mana

jAvu nakA koNi,ThithE jAvu nakA kOni
jE gELE ,nAhi ALE parathOni

tukA pandharici gELA
punhA janmA nAhi ALA

Ghost Huge, There is in panDari
Who Encircles those who go near it!

Great many are the JivAs who go(to panDari)
In Bliss the Mind is entranced(Seeing them)

Do Not Go There,Do Not Go!
One who Goes ,will never return!

TukA went to panDari,
No Rebirth for him!

pandarpur is the Holy place of pilgrimage, Lord Sri Krishna and Devi Rukmini are worshipped as Vittal and RakkhumAi(Mother Rukmani).Tukaram refers to Lord vittal as the Big Bhooth or Ghost who encircles all those who go there,  swallowing their Ego sense;they then can no longer return to the sense world and no more is there any birth for them.

Namaskar.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:57:40 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 29, 2014, 09:59:31 AM »
Balaji,
Nice to know that you visited the Home of the Great Devotee Sri Sadhu Om in TiruvaNNAmalai and bought books.
Nochur Sri VenkatrAman's Talks on ullAdhu nARpadhu are indeed a Treat and are among the best.No other book is needed,except perhaps a Dictionary to know the meanings of some words as Bhagavan's Tamizh is quite different than what is popular these Days.

As for me,I do not follow any book other than the words of Sri Bhagavan in the Hymns;Just approaching them with Devotion will reveal their Treasures which is inexhaustible.

For Akshara maNa mAlai ,I have the wonderful singing of the RamanAnjali group in CD form called 'Ramana Amudham'-This and the other songs of Sri sadhu Om (8 CDs) are truly wonderful.The RamanAnjali group of Devotees lead by smt Sulochana Natarajan have done a wonderful job ,imbuing everything they sing with deep devotion.

Wishing you the very Best.May Sri Bhagavan's Grace be ever with you.

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 29, 2014, 10:16:49 AM »
Ghost Huge, There is in panDari
Who Encircles those who go near it!

Great many are the JivAs who go(to panDari)
In Bliss the Mind is entranced(Seeing them)

Do Not Go There,Do Not Go!
One who Goes ,will never return!

TukA went to panDari,
No Rebirth for him!

No wonder, most parents discourage their children (youngsters are discouraged) venturing deep into Vedanta, and reserve it all after retirement!!

:D
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 29, 2014, 10:42:50 AM »
Nagaraj/friends,

No wonder, most parents discourage their children (youngsters are discouraged) venturing deep into Vedanta, and reserve it all after retirement!!

Yes,by then(at the time of retirement) the person would have become someone like what Sri Ramakrishna calls as 'Elder ,The Pumpkin cutter'!

Here is the story of Elder ,the pumpkin cutter ,from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

The Master asked M. about his friend Hari Babu.
M: "He has come here to pay you his respects. He lost his wife long ago."
MASTER (to Hari): "What kind of work do you do?"
M: "Nothing in particular. But at home he takes good care of his parents and his brothers and sisters."
MASTER (with a smile): "How is that? You are like 'Elder, the pumpkin-cutter'. You are neither a man of the world nor a devotee of God. That is not good. You must have seen the sort of elderly man who lives in a family and is always ready, day or night, to entertain the children. He sits in the parlour and smokes the hubble-bubble. With nothing in particular to do, he leads a lazy life. Now and again he goes to the inner court and cuts a pumpkin; for, since women do not cut pumpkins, they send the children to ask him to come and do it. That is the extent of his usefulness-hence his nickname, 'Elder, the pumpkin-cutter'.

:)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 30, 2014, 09:14:04 AM »
Balaji,

போக்கும் வரவுமில் பொதுவெளி யினிலருட்
போராட் டங்காட் டருணாசலா.

O Arunachal, show me the war-play of grace in the common space
which is devoid of going and coming

The word போர் means Heap or Stack and not to be interpreted as 'War' here.

We may refer to the word used popularly as வைக்கோல்  போர்-which means a Heap or Stack of Hay.

In this verse Sri Bhagavan is meaning  அருள் + போர் =அருட்போர் ,meaning Heaped up Grace,Dense mass of consciousness,The ChitgaNa.

அருட்போராட்டம் means the Play of this Heaped up Grace or dense mass of Chit.

Please note that in that space devoid of any Transaction(போக்கும் வரவுமில்),no war play is possible!

Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna where the Master Talks about 'Heap of Knowledge':

Can a man blessed with the grace of God ever lack Knowledge? At Kamarpukur I have seen grain-dealers measuring paddy. As one heap is measured away another heap is pushed forward to be measured. The Mother supplies the devotees with the 'heap of Knowledge'.

The very form of aruNAchalA is like a Big heap of Grace!

Namaskar.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:57:43 PM by Ravi.N »

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 30, 2014, 01:22:20 PM »
Dear Ravi Sir

I heard Arunachala Akshramanamalai song by RMCl, Bangalore  , very nice .
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 30, 2014, 09:25:48 PM »
Balaji,
Good to know that you could listen to the singing of akshara mana malai by the ramananjali group.The plaintive opening by the violin,followed by the opening Hymn to lord Ganesha invoking his grace with- a Gong of the Temple Bell followed by  a simple yet clear sound of the Cymbals-wonderfully sets the tone for the beautiful ,Divine akshara mana malai-one of the Best Hymns ever composed ,Rich and varied like a many faceted Diamond -well set to music with the clarinet and flute lending color and gaiety to the singing.
You may also try 'Ramana Geetham' a set of 8 CDs-songs of Sri Sadhu Om wonderfully sung by the Ramanajali group.Sri Sadhu Om's compositions are very easy and accessible in popular yet chaste Tamizh-They are quite unlike Muruganar's whose Tamizh is more of the literary kind.I recall how Sri Bhagavan introduced Sadhu Om to Muruganar as one with a natural gift for composing Lyrics.The two became lifelong companions in the literary and spiritual field.Sri Sadhu Om himself has guided the Ramananjali group by setting many of his songs to music.
Namaskar.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 30, 2014, 10:51:25 PM »
Dear Ravi Sir

I never heard of Ramana Geetham 8 set of cds.   Next time I ask about this cds at Ramanashramam.  Thank you very much regarding the  information about  Sri Sadhu Om and Sri Muruganar swami .
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 01, 2014, 06:48:02 AM »
Just a rough scribble... recently when i visited chennai and was surprised to see a Dwaja Sthambham in the Santhome Church, Mylapore.  -

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 04, 2014, 02:13:47 AM »

To the Paramahamsa Ramakrishna Deva

Diverse courses of worship
from varied springs of fulfillment 
have mingled in your meditation.
The manifold revelation of the joy of the Infinite
has given form to a shrine of unity in your life 
where from far and near arrive salutations
to which I join my own.

-         Rabindranath Tagore     

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 04, 2014, 06:09:36 AM »
Jewell,
That is a wonderful homage to sri Ramakrishna by Rabindranath Tagore.Thanks very much.
Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna-chapter 32,

"When you mix with people outside your Samaj, love them all. When in their company be one of them. Don't harbour malice toward them. Don't turn up your nose
in hatred and say: 'Oh, this man believes in God with form and not in the formless God. That man believes in the formless God and not in God with form. This man is a Christian. This man is a Hindu. And this man is a Musslman.' It is God alone who makes people see things in different ways. Know that people have different natures. Realize this and mix with them as much as you can. And love all. But enter your own inner chamber to enjoy peace and bliss.

Lighting the lamp of Knowledge in the chamber of your heart,
Behold the face of the Mother, Brahman's Embodiment.

You can see your true Self only within your own chamber. The cowherds take the cows to graze in the pasture. There the cattle mix. They all form one herd. But on returning to their sheds in the evening they are separated. Then each stays by itself in its own stall. Therefore I say, dwell by yourself in your own chamber."

It was ten o'clock in the evening. The Master got into a carriage to return to Dakshineswar. One or two attending devotees got in with him. The carriage stood under a tree, in deep darkness. Beni Pal wanted to send some sweets and other food with Sri Ramakrishna for Ramlal, the Master's nephew.
BENI PAL: "Sir, Ramlal was not here this evening. With your permission I should like to send some sweets for him by your attendants."
MASTER (with great anxiety): "Oh, Beni Pal! Oh, sir! Please don't send these things with me. That will do me harm. It is never possible for me to lay up anything. I hope you won't mind."
BENI PAL: "As you please, sir. Please give me your blessing."
MASTER: "Oh, we have been very happy today! You see, he alone is a true man who has made money his servant. But those who do not know the use of money are not men even though they have human forms. They may have human bodies, but they behave likeanimals. You are blessed indeed. You have made so many devotees happy today."

Jewell,you are truly a blessed soul.You have the simplicity of heart that revels in all that is beautiful and sublime-'All things wise and wonderful' as The Hymn says.
Namaskar.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 04, 2014, 10:09:54 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Thank You so much for wonderful words of Sri Ramakrishna! How time is passing by,i love Him more and more. I love His simplicity,kindness and goodness. Not to mention that Power and Truthfulness which is behind His words. He was unique indeed. So lovable. Like father,like mother. He has that which i also recognised in my Maharaj and Bhagavan.

And thank You very much for so sweet and kind words,dear Sir! You said something like that when You spoke to me for the first time,in this forum,and that encouraged me to involve more in posting. I will never forget that!

With love and prayers,