Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 343217 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #990 on: July 23, 2014, 02:54:54 PM »
Friends,

SWAMI DAMODARANANDA(Sri Ramakrishna Mutt) REMEMEMBERS SRI RAMANA

In 1939, while a student in Mangalore, I came across a pictorial biography of the Maharshi. The book simply stunned me. My immediate reaction was, ?A Maharshi living in India now! I must go and offer myself at his feet.? I became restless and was planning to run away to Tiruvannamalai. I was so gripped by this one thought that at all costs I must go to him and be at his feet to be guided on the spiritual path. The force of some past karmas must have given my life this sudden turn. Finally, I told the manager of my hostel that I was leaving and booked a ticket to Tiruvannamalai. After covering the long distance, I reached the Ashram, took bath and went straight to the hall of the great saint.
Having offered my pranams, I sat down with my back against a wall as I was very tired. As soon as I had done this, the Maharshi gazed directly at me with unblinking, wide eyes. I also looked into his eyes with all humility and wonder. While this was happening I felt ecstatic: Sri Bhagavan was showering his grace upon me. By his mere gaze, it seemed, as if the Maharshi was establishing me once and for all in spiritual life. Perhaps he intuitively saw my spiritual destiny.

I was allowed to stay at the Ashram and was asked to help in the kitchen. After the lunch, one of my duties was to guard the kitchen with a stick and drive away the monkeys. One day at about 4 a.m. I was summoned to the kitchen. To my surprise, I saw Bhagavan sitting near the chutney grinding stone. I began to grind the coconut scrapings and Bhagavan helped me by pushing in the overflowing ingredients. At the same time he was busy putting salt, chillies and other ingredients to make the chutney tasty. When ready, Bhagavan distributed a little among four or five people there and also dropped a bit of it into his mouth. As the devotees were tasting the chutney, Bhagavan asked them how they liked it. He then smiled and quipped in Tamil, ?Is the chutney asking for iddlies?? Everyone enjoyed the joke and smiled.
Bhagavan next entered the vegetable-cutting room to assist those at the job. He sat cross-legged and cut vegetables with the utmost attention. I noticed that almost all the vegetable pieces he cut were exactly of the same size.
Once, when I was a little free from my kitchen duties, I went to sit in the hall. Some ladies were talking to Bhagavan. I heard him say, ?Mounam [holy silence] is not just keeping quiet without talking. Holding to one thought alone is the real mounam. On one occasion, a devotee, Mrs Kamakshi, entered the hall, offered her pranams and then got up. Bhagavan called her over and showed her a small strip of paper. On it he had written, ?Om namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya.? He told her to chant it always. She reportedly did so throughout her life.
Once a sevak from the office came near Bhagavan and began calling out, ?Bhagavan, Bhagavan, Bhagavan!? ? louder, louder and louder. Bhagavan was unaware of his calls, as he was totally immersed in the Divine Quite of peace and bliss. However, as the sevak?s voice became ever louder, Bhagavan returned to everyday consciousness and responded in Tamil, ?Enna, enna? (What, what)? We used to enjoy such incidents throughout the day. During his various moods, there would never be any expression of fatigue on his face, and I never saw him yawning. He appeared to be unceasingly in the experience of sat-chit-ananda.

continued....

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #991 on: July 23, 2014, 02:57:51 PM »
SWAMI DAMODARANANDA(Sri Ramakrishna Mutt) REMEMEMBERS SRI RAMANA continued...

When my family people came to know about my stay at the Ashram, they complained about me and informed the authorities about the wailings of my mother. I was forced to go back to my house. I was again in hostel for my studies. Ramakrishna Math being near to it, I stated visiting the swamis and got attracted to the mission, and felt inspired to join it. While going to the headquarters of the mission at Belur near Calcutta, I visited Bhagavan again in 1946, and was at the Ashram for three days.
On the first day I sat for lunch with other devotees. Bhagavan sat at the head of the line. I think it was Kirai Patti (the Spinach Granny) who came first to serve Bhagavan with a few dishes she had prepared. As she was in her nineties, Bhagavan in a raised voice asked her in Tamil, ?EnnaKondu-vandirke? (What have you brought)? She described her dishes. Then she distributed the simple food, little by little, to all of us.
I observed Sri Ramana as he was eating. He took some pieces of chilli out of this curry and pushed them away to a corner of his banana leaf. A few grains of rice happened to get stuck to the chillies. He scrupulously returned these to the rest of the food on his leaf, so that even those few grains were not wasted. When he had finished his lunch, his leaf plate was totally clean, except, of course, for the few chilli pieces.
After lunch, Bhagavan left for the hall where he normally sat on his sofa and gave darshan. I followed him. I offered my pranamas and asked him to let me know the easiest path. He looked

at me and gestured with his hand for me to sit down. In the mean time, many other devotees had arrived and the hall was full. Disappointed that he had not answered my question, I closed my eyes and began doing mental japa. After a while I heard him say to a devotee, ?This boy wants to know a shortcut!? Then he continued, ?A shortcut to where??
One of my friends who was next to me nudged my leg and indicated that Bhagavan was talking to me. I opened my eyes and saw that he was smiling at me: he had only been waiting for other devotees to arrive so that they too could benefit form his answer to my question! Of course, I told him that I wanted a shortcut to atma-darshan ? the revelation of the Self. He asked me what method I was presently practising. I replied that in my own humble way I was practising japa-sadhana. Hearing this, Bhagavan responded that japa was not only simple and direct, but the best method for progress in spiritual life. He quoted from the Gita ? 10.25: Yajnanam japayanosmi (Among the sacrifices, I am the sacrifice of japa).
Further elaborating, he said that of all the ways to offer oneself to paramatman, the easiest and the best method was the repetition of the mantra of one?s own chosen deity. Japa promotes a constant flow of loving prayer from within for inner illumination. This wakes up a subtle thirst that steadily increases, leading to a strong current of continuous divine discontent known as vyakula. When this holy attitude developes into deep absorption (dhyana), the divinity reveals itself from within. This is atma-darshan.

continued....

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #992 on: July 23, 2014, 03:19:35 PM »
SWAMI DAMODARANANDA(Sri Ramakrishna Mutt) REMEMEMBERS SRI RAMANA continued...

When Bhagavan was explaining japa sadhana, an anxious devotee, who was seated a short distance away, loudly interrupted to ask a question about creation and its cause. He said that some scriptures mention that creation was due to the karma of Brahma, while other scriptures state that the creation occurred due to the karma of jivas. He wanted Bhagavan to resolve the difference of opinion. The Maharshi just gave him a kind look, and continued to explain the subject of japa. The devotees in the packed hall lapped up his sacred words. Bhagavan explained that the aspirant first repeats the mantra out loud with diligence and devotion. Then, as his or her own loving attitude intensifies, the repetition gradually becomes internalized. As the body, senses and the mind get purified and become free from their selfish nature; the whole being gets attuned to the Divine. The power of the mantra enters every aspect of the individual. The aspirant becomes mantramaya (filled with spiritual power of the mantra), in and through all activities. One?s life gets transformed into a continuous offering to the Lord, without any attachment to the results of one?s actions.
The impatient devotee repeated his question about creation. This time Bhagavan graciously told him that if he would only try to understand the method he has just explained, answers to all his questions would arise within him. As one dives deep within, the mind dissolves into the Self, and all distinctions between bhakta (devotee), Bhagavan (the Lord) and Bhagavata (the sacred text) vanish in divine illumination.

Mountain Path ,October-December 2009

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #993 on: July 23, 2014, 03:31:37 PM »
Friends,
I had the good fortune of listening to Swami Damodarananda ,a Year or so back.Sri Ramakrishna mutt,Chennai had organized a talk by the Swami -How he Met Sri Ramana Maharshi and his experiences with Bhagavan.
The Swami was already 95 or so but was perfectly alert and spoke in English interspersed with Tamil when he referred to how Bhagavn spoke.Referring to the chtney incident ,after dropping a spoonful of chutney with a spoon in each devotee's mouth,Bhagavan quipped-சட்னி
இட்லி கேட்கிறதா?(Is the chutney asking for Idli-meaning having tasted the chutney,whether the devotees are looking forward to the idli as well!).Swami laughed heartily and it was truly a pleasure listening to him.
After the Talk,Swami gave a darshan to all the devotees gathered -as each devotee approached to pay Respect he just kept saying-'Jaya Ramakrishna,Sri Ramakrishna'.

Swamiji attained Jala Samadhi recently -He just waded into Ganges and left his body.Truly a Great soul.
You may read the account of this here:
http://www.vedantathailand.org/swami-damodarananda-and-his-final-day/
The surveillance cameras had recorded the happening!

Namaskar.

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #994 on: July 24, 2014, 06:31:11 PM »
dear atmavichar

thanks for providing this info here.  it would have been a wonderful occasion to hear about our Maharishee from Swamiji of Ramakrishna Ashram.

Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and Bhagavan handled the terminologies very differently -- the same words will have different meanings.

But in essence Sri Thakur was in the same state of Sri Ramana with differences on outward expression.

To think of such self realized Masters alone is a great tapas.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #995 on: July 25, 2014, 08:16:44 AM »
Friends,An excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Master teaches Narendra Brahmajnana

MASTER (to Narendra) : "An outcaste was carrying a load of meat. Sankaracharya, after bathing in the Ganges, was passing by. Suddenly the outcaste touched him. Sankara said sharply: 'What! You touched me!' 'Revered sir,' he replied, 'I have not touched you nor have you touched me. Reason with me: Are you the body, the mind, or the buddhi? Analyse what you are. You are the Pure Atman, unattached and free, unaffected by the three gunassattva, rajas, and tamas.'

"Do you know what Brahman is like? It is like air. Good and bad smells are carried by the air, but the air itself is unaffected."

NARENDRA: "Yes, sir."

MASTER: "He is beyond the gunas and maya-beyond both the 'maya of knowledge' and the 'maya of ignorance'. 'Woman and gold' is the 'maya of ignorance'. Knowledge,
renunciation, devotion, and other spiritual qualities are the splendours of the 'maya of knowledge'. "Ego of Knowledge"

Sankaracharya kept this 'maya of knowledge'; and that you and these others feel concerned about me is also due to this 'maya of knowledge'. "Following the 'maya of knowledge' step by step, one attains the Knowledge of Brahman. This 'maya of knowledge' may be likened to the last few steps of the stairs. Next is the roof. Some, even after reaching the roof, go up and down the stairs; that is to say, some even after realizing God, retain the 'ego of Knowledge'. They retain this in order to teach others, taste divine bliss, and sport with the devotees of God."

NARENDRA: "Some people get angry with me when I speak of renunciation."

MASTER (in a whisper): "Renunciation is necessary.(Pointing to his different limbs) "If one thing is placed upon another, you must remove the one to get the other. Can you get the second thing without removing the first?"

NARENDRA: "True, sir."

MASTER (in a whisper, to Narendra): "When one sees everything filled with God alone, does one see anything else?"

NARENDRA: "Must one renounce the world?"

MASTER: "Didn't I say just now: 'When one sees everything filled with God alone, does one see anything else?' Does one then see any such thing as the world? "I mean mental renunciation. Not one of those who have come here is a worldly person.
Some of them had a slight desire-for instance, a fancy for woman. (Rakhal and M. smile.) And that desire has been fulfilled."

The Master looks at Narendra tenderly and becomes filled with love. Looking at the devotees, he says, "Grand!"

With a smile Narendra asks the Master, "What is grand?"

MASTER (smiling): "I see that preparations are going on for a grand renunciation."

Narendra and the devotees look silently at the Master. Rakhal resumes the conversation.

RAKHAL (smiling, to the Master): "Narendra is now beginning to understand you rather
well."
Sri Ramakrishna laughs and says: "Yes, that is so. I see that many others, too, are beginning to understand. (To M.) Isn't that so?"
M: "Yes, sir."

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #996 on: July 25, 2014, 08:28:55 AM »
Excerpt from Day by Day with Bhagavan by Devaraja Mudaliar

15-4-46 Morning
About 8 a.m. Nagamma came into the hall and prostrated herself before Bhagavan, after having gone round the hall a few times. Bhagavan said, ?Ah! you too have started going round. Have you learnt it from Ravanamma? She used to go round and round, till I spoke to her about it the other day. If one goes round like that, everybody who comes here thinks ?Apparently the proper thing here is to go round? and starts going round. Thus all people go round. After all, the proper pradakshina is going round the Self, or, more accurately, to realise that we are the Self and that within us all the countless spheres revolve, going round and round, as described in the
following stanza of Ribhu Gita (3rd Chapter, 39th Verse).

An English translation of this stanza is as follows:
 Reflecting ?I am the all-blissful Self?
 is worship as with words and flowers.
True circumambulation is the thought,
?In me the million universes roll?,
He who knows all beings bow to him
And he to none,
He bows before the Mahalinga-Self.

?Some go on doing a number of namaskarams, e.g. that Janaki, she goes on striking her head down countless times along with namaskarams. She goes round a number of times.At each window she falls down and does a number of namaskarams. However much I tell her, she won?t leave off such practices.?

Somebody here interjected, ?It seems she is known to Bhagavan since her childhood.?

Bhagavan said, ?Yes, yes,? and continued, ?There are others who come and fall before me while I am moving. They lie prostrate for some minutes. I cannot stand for them on account of my physical infirmity. So I walk on, telling myself, ?Only if we do namaskarams we will be benefited. After all, true namaskaram is only the giving up the ?I?-sense, or killing the ego?.?(Na ma karam-Ravi)

I said, ?Bhagavan himself advises us to go round the Hill, for instance. I know Bhagavan is also not against going round the image in a temple. There are people here who have the faith that going round Bhagavan is as good as going round the temple-image or the Hill. How can we object to that??

Bhagavan said, ?I don?t say such things should not be done. But the best going round is going round yourself, or the bhava expressed in the verse quoted. The other pradakshinams are not condemned.
The jnani, though he knows that meditation on the Self is the best worship, will join in all the other kinds of worship for the good of others and as an example to them. In fact, he may observe all the other ways even more correctly and steadfastly than those who follow only those paths and know nothing of jnana. That is referred to in the following verse, also occurring in Ribhu Gita.

The gist is, ?If the Guru refers to dvaita when teaching advaita to the disciple, it is not to be regarded as his real teaching any more than one should regard as real the grief of one who weeps because he is paid to do so.?

When Bhagavan quoted the first verse above extracted, I went and brought the book for his reference. He took it in his hand and opened it. The book opened exactly where the passage is found. Such a thing has happened many others times too.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #997 on: July 27, 2014, 05:12:52 PM »
பட்டப் பகற்பொழுதை இருளென்ற மருளர்தம்
       பட்சமோ எனதுபட்சம்
    பார்த்தவிட மெங்கணுங் கோத்தநிலை குலையாது
       பரமவெளி யாகவொருசொல்
திட்டமுடன் மௌனியா யருள்செய் திருக்கவுஞ்
       சேராமல் ஆராகநான்
    சிறுவீடு கட்டியதின் அடுசோற்றை யுண்டுண்டு
       தேக்குசிறி யார்கள்போல
நட்டனைய தாக்கற்ற கல்வியும் விவேகமும்
       நன்னிலய மாகவுன்னி
    நானென்று நீயென் றிரண்டில்லை யென்னவே
       நடுவே முளைத்தமனதைக்
கட்டஅறி யாமலே வாடினே னெப்போது
       கருணைக் குரித்தாவனோ
    கருதரிய சிற்சபையி லானந்த நிர்த்தமிடு
       கருணா கரக்கடவுளே.

To reckon broad midday as night-
Am I like those deluded lot who deem thus!
To behold everywhere the State Seamless,
As space transcendent-
Even though as Mouni (Mouna Guru) you graced me that one word-
Not taking to it with earnest intent-As someone who
Like unto children who build play-houses (in sand) and eat the cooked food,
Taking the farce of bookish learning and wisdom as trustworthy
Aiming to realize that there are no two entities as 'I' and 'You'
Not knowing how to fasten the mind that sprouts in between,
I am pining and withering! when shall I attain to grace!
Lo! Thou compassionate God who dances in rapture in the chit sabha
Beyond all thought and reckoning!

Thayumanavar,-verse 4, Karunakara kadavul
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 05:23:12 PM by Ravi.N »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #998 on: July 29, 2014, 07:29:52 AM »
Fear Makes Us Obey:

Why do we do all this:obey, follow, copy? Why? Because we are frightened inwardly to be uncertain. We want to be certain, we want to be certain financially, we want to be certain morally,we want to be approved, we want to be in a safe position, we want never to be confronted with trouble, pain, suffering, we want to be enclosed. So, fear, consciously or unconsciously, makes us obey the Master, the leader, the priest, the government. Fear also controls us from doing something which may be harmful to others, because we will be punished. So behind all these actions, greeds, pursuits, lurks this desire for certainty, this desire to be assured. So, without resolving fear, without being free from fear, merely to obey or to be obeyed has little significance; what has meaning is to understand this fear from day to day and how fear shows itself in different ways. It is only when there is freedom from fear that there is that inward quality of understanding, that aloneness in which there is no accumulation of knowledge or of experience, and it is that alone which gives extraordinary clarity in the pursuit of the real.

J. Krishnamurti, The Book of Life
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #999 on: July 29, 2014, 10:32:55 AM »
Atmavichar(Friends)

Why do we do all this:obey, follow, copy? Why?

J K is pointing out to a basic trait in human Nature.Yet,we may also obey or follow out of Love-Classical examples are 'M' and sri Annamalai swami.Just have a look at Annamalai Swami's attire!More on this later.

Namaskar.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:13:59 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: July 29, 2014, 11:38:34 AM »
Atmavichar/Friends,
Here is the wonderful excerpt from Chapter 1, Volume 8 of 'M,The Apostle and Evangelist'(From the Diary of Swami Nityatmananda who lived with M and brought out the series of 16 or so volumes ,just like M brought out The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna'):

CIRCUMAMBULATION

Gadadhar Ashrama, Bhowanipur, Brahma-muhurta (the hour before thedawn). It is 4 a.m. The Mangal arati (morning worship with lamps) is over.Thakur?s photo, half covered with a woollen cloth has been placed on thealtar facing south. The seat of the priest is towards the east. In the room asmall electric lamp is shedding bluish light. All the four directions are filledwith the fragrance of the incense stick. Many sadhus and bhaktas areabsorbed in meditation - some of them in the shrine, others in the meditationroom. The meditation room is the southern part of the shrine divided by arailing. In the shrine reigns a deep peaceful atmosphere. M. comes out of hispersonal room closeby, towards the north and pays his obeisance by lyingprostrate in the Thakur?s shrine. He follows it up by folding his hands andoffering his pranam individually to all the persons meditating there. Then hereturns to his room.It is quarter past six. The sadhus and the bhaktas enter M.?s room one byone and offer him their pranam. It is the first day of the month of Paushtoday. It has been raining since late night. Though Bengalis are in amajority, men and women from all Indian provinces are there taking theirdip in the primordial river Ganga - they are drenched in rain. Ganga Mai kijai (Victory to Mother Ganga) - the whole atmosphere resounds again andagain with this holy slogan.M. stands in the verandah facing west and witnesses this divine scene withwonder. In front of him flows the Ganga. M.?s face is bright, his two eyessteady and fixed within.M. sees groups of persons arriving and leaving (after a dip). It continuesraining. The path and the bathing point are wet, some spots are muddy.However none is bothered about the rain.M. calls for the sadhus and the bhaktas in a sweet voice and shows themthis holy scene. Full of joy, says he, 'Just see, how Dharma is manifestingitself today! None has any thought of his body, absorbed as they are in a divine mood.' Now he says in a voice full of compassion, ?How much trouble they take sogladly for the sake of Dharma, for the sake of God! It is cold yet they take abath in the Ganga in the morning. And on the top of it they are constantlygetting drenched in rain! Suppose they were to fall ill!?Both joy and fear are playing together on M.?s face. He is happy to witnesstheir devotion to Dharma and is fearful because of the possibility of illness.The sky is over cast, spreading darkness all around. M. is pacing the floor ofthe room, east to west. Then he says slowly to a bhakta: 'The mind is so full of Dakshineswar yet I dare not because of the (inclement) weather. Who knows if one will have such a luck?' The eastern sky is gradually becoming clear - the clouds are spreading over the western sky. M. can no longer stay in the room. Taking an attendantwith him he comes out. It is no longer raining, it is about 8 o?clock. Both of them are proceeding towards the tram stand. A piece of cloud is againcovering the sun. Pointing to it, he says to the attendant, ?Just see, howmuch more powerful is the cloud than the sun. See how it has covered the sun. It is the same with maya. Avidya maya covers man?s intellect in thesame way. If the wind of His grace blows away the cloud of maya one canthen see the sun - the sun, that is God.?Having proceeded a little he says to the attendant, 'Please meet me at the stand near the temple. I am coming by tram.' M. goes by tram. Theattendant proceeds toward the temple at a fast pace.Having alighted from the tram, M. takes the path along the bank of the Ganga towards the temple to south. Casting his glance on the shops on both sides of the road moving to and fro M. walks on with a steady gait. The attendant remaining behind notices M.?s movement from a distance withouthis knowledge. He feels as if it is a child walking joyfully along. On his face play curosity and wonder. Is he seeing the Lilamaya (the master of all divine sport) in all things? M. glances over the children?s toy shop on the right side and then the snack shop full of variety of sweets on the left. Then he sees the cloth shop of varied colours and then that of papar-pakoras and then the shop of clay idols, Shiva and Radhakrishana and other deities. Does he see different shops selling different things, all men-shopkeepers, visitors, the cow, the dog and other animals on the path - different articles, different directions, the atmosphere, the Sun and so on, all containing the Lilamaya within;that which resides in all - the Atman? M. sees the attendant. And suddenly his child-like happy mood disappears.He proceeds towards the Mother?s temple like a simple devotee. He asks theattendant how long has he been there. For quite sometime, replies the attendant. ?Did you see me?? asks M. ?Yes sir,? answers the attendant. The mark of embarrassment that gets imprinted on the face when one is seen doing something stealthily, is visible on M.?s face - but still it is full of joy.

continued...

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: July 29, 2014, 12:05:17 PM »
Excerpt from 'M,The Apostle and The Evangelist' continued...

The Kali Ghat-M. is standing outside the wall of Mother Kali?s temple, near the north-eastern corner on the bank of the pond. The attendant brings some water from the pond at M.?s instance. M. touches the water and sprinkles it on his mouth and over his forehead.M. enters the temple courtyard by the north-eastern gate. With the temple to his right, he makes a circumambulation. There is an unimaginable crowdat the eastern entrance gate of the temple, it being the Makar Sankranti (thepassage of the sun into the sign capricornus). M. tries to take a glimpse ofthe Mother as he stands in the street between the southern gate of the temple and the Nat-mandir, but doesn?t succeed. That?s why coming out of the street, he takes a round with the Nat-mandir on his right. He offers his obeisance by touching the floor of the newly built southern temple of Shiva with his forehead. Then touching the sacrificial wooden frame with his right hand he brings it to touch his forehead. M. is full of joy, but solemn.Now M. comes and stands to west of the Nat-Mandir. He decides to go theAdi-Ganga. He proceeds on the same path. The Govindji?s temple stands in the courtyard to the right of the path. He comes and stands here to take a holy glimpse. A devotee-advocate comes and pays him his pranam. He is Nirmal Chandra Chattopadhyaya and lives at 29, Nakuleshwartala. He earnestly invites M. to visit his house on his way back.Returning after the darshan of Govindji, M. sends the attendant away. Later on his return both of them go towards the Ganga. As soon as he goes beyondthe crossing, M. sees a big crowd in front of the house to the left and stops there. He guesses that a big crowd is there, perhaps because of the shrine of some deity there. A young man of 18-19 comes up and asks M. what he wants. M. replies with the question: Is there a Thakur (deity) here? The young man says, ?Yes Sir, people of Thakur class (pandas, men of priestlyclass) live here.? M. says, 'No, no, I mean the god-thakur, the deity.' The young man understands, smiles and says, 'No Sir, no deity here. It is therein front.'M. goes towards the Ganga. Pointing to the next house he says, 'When the Holy Mother used to come, she would stay here.' M. joins both of his hands to offer obeisance.
There is a huge crowd on the bathing point of the Ganga. People are taking a dip. M. comes down to the bathing point by northern steps. From the tenth step, he bends to touch the water. He then sits for meditation closing his eyes. For about half an hour, the attendant stands at the bank to guard M.?s shoes. Then M. comes up the steps to the bank. The attendant also touches the Ganga water and wonders what use it is to do so. I have been doing so on seeing others do it, says he to himself, 'I do it only because I have been asked to do so by a direct disciple of an avatara himself. There must be some physical value or some divine force in it. Otherwise why should M. do it and also ask me to do it. The attendant further reflects in his mind: a short while ago I saw M. sprinkling some pond water on his forehead before he went to the temple-courtyard. Does he consider the water of the pond and that of the Ganga the same?' M. enters the dharmashala (rest-house for pilgrims) situated to the southabove the ghat (bathing point) of the river. Seeing the room to the extreme south of the ladies? quarters, he offers his pranam. Says he to the attendant,?The Holy Mother also used to stay here.?

continued....

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: July 29, 2014, 12:19:53 PM »
Excerpt from 'M,The Apostle and The Evangelist' continued...

Coming out of the dharmashala M.proceeds some distance on the southern way. Seeing a young girl of sixteen he immediately returns.A seventy years old saint as he is, what is he afraid of; perhaps it is for the instruction of the attendant with him that he acted in this way. He always instructs the devotees by concrete examples. Young brahmacharis should notlook at women - is this the silent message of M.?(This is Sri Ramakrishna's advice and 'M' is implicitly obeying at the age of 70!-Ravi) M. goes towards the east infront of the dharmashala. A beggar is standing in front in the north-western corner of the dharmashala. M. asks theattendant to give him a pice.Considering it an opportune moment, the attendant conveys a message to M.:The devotees will perhaps have a picnic in the Kali Temple atDakshineswar. They want you there. M. replies, 'Why, this perhaps?' Theattendant says, 'It is in fact so because of the rain at night, there is some doubt it may or may not be held.' M. says reprovingly, 'Then you should have told me earlier. You had better told me yesterday.' The attendant submits humbly, 'It is winter. Seeing that it was raining last night I did not must encourage to tell you lest you fell ill later on. Now I see that it is clearing up, I see the sun. So I can tell you confidently.' M. comes to the temple from the ghat of the Adi- Ganga. Reaching the house to the right of the crossing where the Holy Mother used to stay, he says like a child, ?Where is Beguni-Phuluri?? (Beguni is a fried sandwich, like indian snack made of brinjal; Phuluri is another fried Indian snack made of minced pulses). Pointing to the shop to the right, the attendant says, 'Here, Sir.' 'Bring it worth two pice,' Says M. 'They are cold, not hot' says the attendant.M. replies, 'Never mind, they are fresh of today any way. Isn?t it?' 'Yes Sir, of today only,' the young shopkeeper tells. 'Then they buy two pice worth of Beguni and Phuluri'.Thakur used to say to the bhaktas: 'When you go to a fair or to a place of pilgrimage you should eat Beguni- Phuluri.' M. literally obeys the Master's words to this day.
M. proceeds towards east. After going beyond the crossing the attendant says, 'By this road to the left, one can catch the tram quickly.'  'No, no, let's go this way through the temple. I have come to see the Mother. This way is better,' saying so M. enters the courtyard of the temple. The attendant realises that M. will not leave without seeing the Mother. As he has not been able to see Her because of the crowd, he is going to make another attempt. A firm resolve is bound to be fulfilled.

Going up the temple, M. stands on south-western step. Now the crowd has thinned out. He says to the attendant, 'Please stand here below. Here are the shoes. Let me go up to make a round of the temple.' The attendant says,'Such a big crowd there is above giving so much push and pull, it will be very troublesome to make a circumambulation.' 'So let me take a round below,' saying so, M. begins to walk alone. The temple is to his right.Seeing that the crowd has thinned at the eastern entrance, M. pays two pice as entrance fee and enters the Temple. Standing near the railing, he folds his hands, pays his obeisance and prays to the Mother. He comes out to the street between the Natmandir and the Mother's Temple. He stands and pays his obeisance touching with his forehead the temple wall. However, he is not happy at not being able to pay his obeisance by lying prostrate on the ground - because of the crowd it is not possible to do so inside the temple or in the verandah. That's why M. has made that resolve outside the temple.Standing near M.'s shoes, Antevasi witnesses all these scenes and thinks:'Thakur himself is Brahman. He himself is Shakti. He also is the Mother installed in the Temple and M. is a beloved child of that very Brahman-Shakti, a chosen disciple, a pandit of His holy word bearing His stamp. How can the Mother disregard the earnest desire of Her child? That's why she has taken him inside the Temple in the milling crowd to gratify him by giving him Her darshan. We are forcibly made to see such impossible incidents, yet we do not attain firm faith. We have faith and then we lose it,it doesn't stay permanently with us. It is difficult to bar human nature.

continued....
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:35:31 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: July 29, 2014, 12:34:17 PM »
Atmavichar(Friends),
M implicitly obeyed and followed every simple instruction of Sri Ramakrishna.We see him asking for 2 pice of Beguni(Baingan is Brinjal) and Phuluri-Simple dishes and irrespective of whether it is hot or cold,as long as it is fresh,it is okay.M was happy to eat it!This is Guru Bhakti of the highest order and no fear element is involved.He just revelled in the thought of his master and no word of the master was trivial for him.He just loved to comply 100%.Great one's like 'M' were utterly free from the shadow of the ego.M got this certificate from the Master!Sri Ramakrishna had himself said that 'M' was free from the least vestige of 'ego'.Sri Ramakrishna used to call him 'Master' just like many others did,as 'M' was a teacher in school.
Namaskar.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:36:59 PM by Ravi.N »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: July 29, 2014, 08:56:47 PM »
Dear Ravi ,Friends

I know JK's message is not the ultimate truth but it stimulates us to think and introspect for ourselves all the actions that we do .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha