Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 284027 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #975 on: July 21, 2014, 06:14:30 PM »
Friends,
I was deliberating upon sharing a human trait that I encounter from time to time.The other day I had shared to a friend of mine that Hariharapura Shankaracharya has come to chennai and will be observing Charurmasya in a certain temple in Adyar,chennai.This good friend had in turn shared it with another colleague,a Lady.This Lady went to see the Holy man and came back and reported to this friend of mine-"I did not feel any 'Vibes'.He had a coterie around him".
This is a response that I have heard from most people-that when they go to any temple or visit a Holy Man,they expect to experience something tangible.They are quite confident that they are Okay and if at all there is any spiritual vibe(as they call it)in that place or person they are fully equipped to detect it.If they do not detect it,that place is ordinary or that person is ordinary.There is nothing special about that place or person and it is all hyped!They then observe all that goes on at that place and get confirmed in their findings.

Namaskar.

Dear sir,

There is some truth in your findings.  But lot of the traditional acharyas are simply not into self realization , silent upadesa etc.  They openly indulge only in pundit type approach, praise VIPs,  put garlands, and simply they are just materialistic.  One can feel that very easily.

That lady was a bit premature in her declaration but at the same time something within you will tell an indication that will never go wrong sir.

My point is, until we are 100% sure of Self Realization , it is better to wait and go to next teacher.

People here quote a lot about Guru and the conventional approaches etc.  I will give you my own personal miraculous experience.

The Guru will mostly never come in the form that you consider Holy and Sacred.  Starting itself the Master will give a hard push .

Now more off the topic,

Some 2 years before,  I was in Trichy Teppakulam going to Thayumanavar temple . I was very much curious to observe beggars with long hair and dust all over body. My hope is my Guru will appear one day in that guise and give me diksha  :)

Now nothing of that sort happened, I did see a guy , he seemed to be a handicap man, he was sitting in a small floor cart with four wheels and he used his hands in the earth to get a grip and push the cart forward to move from one place to another.

When I crossed him, he looked at me and then murmured something within himself.  This guy was very much dirty, half bald, very torn clothers, absolutley no 'Thejas' in teh face,  very very unclean and the language in which he murmured was also not of good taste. (I did not hear his statement but I was sure he is yet one more beggar of low level ,  indecent etc.)

All these thoughts crossed me, in that fraction of the moment , but I did register his face.

Months passed, in Bangalore I was taking my certiification exam in a prometric centre and coming out, I spotted a person out there near jayanagar.

Surprise ,  the same type of guy, same type of cart,  same murmur,  same glare at me but I just crossed him with the same level of lethargy. 

Only after I reached home, I introspected,  I was totally surprised. How could this happen possibly?

All having said,  just a month before, when I went to Thiruvannamalai,  opposite to Ramasramam there is a small hut where one person with ugliest body gesture exposing himself,  but again same face cut.

I was totally confused what is going on.  All three personalities I 'rejected' (even now) using my logical brain.   

Atleast the last person in Thiruvannamalai had less resemblance,  but first two instances very same thing repeated .  Still there is little I could do about it.  I did the right thing to reject but the Self also possibly did the right thing to just show and withdraw as the inner humility is not yet there.

But the catch is somewhere there only.  Guru will never come in the form we most adore and expect.

Not in CDs and Big Auditoriums, not among the highly noble and rich,  but search amidst beggars and madmen -- not really practical  :)  but no Guru will come and reveal opening a facebook account for our convenience.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #976 on: July 21, 2014, 07:27:31 PM »
Krishna(ksksat),
The whole point in what I have posted is to stay focussed , tuning oneself and be receptive.This helps to invoke blessings from a Sage or a Saint,or a temple or any other object of worship;not to look for outward signs,try to judge by outer happenings,etc.One may Draw blessings from anyone, for  God is in all provided  we are receptive and open.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #977 on: July 21, 2014, 08:18:30 PM »
ksksat(krishna),

Sir

You have seemed to subscribed to views of Sri TGN as much as I have subscribed to the traditional view on re-birth karma etc.

I dont have any comments except this:

Maharishee Ramana never never discouraged shraddha ceremony. The example you had quoted was a rare exceptional one.  There is another story where one devotee heard similar anectode like you had quoted and stopped shraddha ceremony.  Maharishee Ramana scolded him and when that devotee quoted Maharishee's past anectode,  Maharishee simply asked him "are you that A to whom that advice was given?"

I could not re-collect the source or name of the devotee involved in that incident.

Any case, fine sir,  we all are destined to follow a path, a teacher and a set of teachings -- nothing can be altered.

I do not subscribe to anyone-It is just that I do not find any conflict among the teachings.I do not seek to follow but i imbibe all that is helpful and inspirational from all quarters.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #978 on: July 21, 2014, 08:21:38 PM »
ksksat(krishna)

Dear sir,

That is all fine, but I have one observation in positive spirit .

You seem to be open to all teachings and listen to a number of saints.  There is nothing wrong for inspiration we can even refer to non spiritual quarters.

But if we are serious on sadhana and liberation, I think one has to really subscribe to a Master, choose Him consciously and follow his teachings vigorously. 

This is in no way mean we are not open to other quarters.

Somehow I feel,  just standing at the railway station and knowing each & every informarion about all trains passing by will not help. One hast to leave all other trains and board a particular train.

One has to drop everyone else and choose a sage.   That dropping is not really dropping.  One has to trust Him the one who the sadhaka chose.  It may be a living saint or a saint who attained samadhi . Does not matter, but one has to choose Him in that moment of self will.

With your approach,  you can remain in the shore sir -- you can even get part and parcel inspiration but it will not help beyond a point. 

For eg, Sri Aurobindo does not accept the Vedantic school of thought.  One can turn to him for inspiration but if one cannot follow Him and vedanta at the same time.

So I kindly advise, you 'belong' to somebody and call yourself 'Ramana devotee' ' Ramakrishna devotee' or TGN follower etc. There is nothing wrong in that approach.

Dont mistake me, "are you afriad of the sense of belonging to a community?, you dont want to belong to a class of devotees, a group? Just be an onlooker, commentator and a point of inspiration and help?,  but how long one can wander like this? "

I think we should really identify with our Guru, oh this is my Home, it does not take any pratice to lead that, it is a inner will or state. you know.

There is only one teaching:

Knowledge and ignorance

MASTER (to the Vaishnava devotee): "The feeling of 'Thee and Thine' is the outcome of Knowledge; 'I and mine' comes from ignorance.Knowledge makes one feel: 'O God, Thou art the Doer and I am Thy instrument. O God, to Thee belongs all-body, mind, house, family, living beings, and the universe. All these are Thine. Nothing belongs to me.'

"An ignorant person says, 'Oh, God is there-very far off.' The man of Knowledge knows that God is right here, very near, in the heart; that He has assumed all forms and dwells in all hearts as their Inner Controller."

All Masters advocate only this.If this essence is understood,there will not be any confusion or conflict.

Krishna,Please go through your posts .They are full of advices to one and all.You may like to examine whether this is okay for you.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #979 on: July 21, 2014, 08:24:51 PM »
ksksat(krishna)

well sir, 

"Krishna,Please go through your posts .They are full of advices to one and all.You may like to examine whether this is okay for you."

Frankly speaking every moment I wander away from Sri Ramana I feel that I am not fully surrendered to Him.  If I would have surrendered, where is the need to read other saint's teachings ?

To what I do is atleast increase the percentage of time I spend with Ramana Maharishee.  It should be the maximum time.  Only for relaxation,  instead of seeing mega serial or reading any type of novel, one can read the respected teaching of other saints.  Otherwise,  one should always , one and only follow his Master alone.

so it is like this:

best preferrable approach:     only who am i or arunachala bhakthi in Arunachaleshwara temple.  change between these two only.

second preferrable approach: if that bores (due to our lack of maturity),  read Ramana recommended books like Ribhu Gita or Ramana related books like Guru Vachaka Kovai or Sannidhi Murai or Direct teachings like Ulladhu Narpadhu or Upadesa undiyar.

third preferrable approach:    if even that bores,  turn to devotees of Ramana and re-read their accounts from Power of presence or living by the words of Bhagavan.

fouth preferrable approach:  for some divertion go ahead and read about other saints, but come back soon to world of Ramana Maharishee alone.

What I have put here may seem crude and raw,  but that works sir.  You may consider ,just rewind all the Masters before your eyes,  you will feel that dualistic attraction to your Master at some point.

It is not advise,  but a frank wondering with regards to our flawed approach ( i am very much there in the group but varying degree)

Unless the mind falls quiet,we are just buffeted by emotion and confusion.First let me know who Ramana is?(This should tally with what Sri Bhagavan has said).All your differences are on account of not understanding the Truth of this.

Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #980 on: July 22, 2014, 06:59:55 AM »
The 20 Important Spiritual Instructions of Swami Sivananda are well known and has also been shared in this forum here earlier . Here is a link to a free download of an ebook on lectures on the 20 important spiritual instructions of Swami Sivananda by one his Chief Disciples and a great spiritual master on his own Swami Chidananda who along with Swami Krishnananda took over the  leadership and administration of the Sivananda Ashram , Rishikesh ( also called as Divine Life Society ) after the Samadhi of Gurudev Sivananda . This book is a good source of practical guidelines for serious aspirants on the spiritual path .

http://www.dlshq.org/download/20instrch.pdf
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #981 on: July 22, 2014, 07:51:32 AM »
atmavichar(Krishna)
Wonderful Recommendation.This is one book invaluable to all aspirants,although Swami Chidananda says that the twenty instruction set is more specifically meant for followers of Swami Sivananda.All differences are in the periphery only.All paths converge as we approach the center.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: July 22, 2014, 07:59:05 AM »
Friends,
In the context of Sadhana,I always recommend this wonderful chapter from The Synthesis of Yoga-by Sri Aurobindo-The Four Aids.It covers everything in a sweeping yet succinct way.I have posted here:
http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=7216.msg32818#msg32818

An excerpt from this chapter:

Yoga-siddhi, the perfection that comes from the practice of Yoga, can be best attained by the combined working of four great instruments. There is, first, the knowledge of the truths, principles, powers and processes that govern the realisation -- sastra. Next comes a patient and persistent action on the lines laid down by the knowledge, the force of our personal effort -- utsaha. There intervenes, third, uplifting our knowledge and effort into the domain of spiritual experience, the direct suggestion, example and influence of the Teacher -- guru. Last comes the instrumentality of Time -- kala; for in all things there is a cycle of their action and a period of the divine movement.

Namaskar.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:02:38 AM by Ravi.N »

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: July 22, 2014, 11:35:43 AM »

Unless the mind falls quiet,we are just buffeted by emotion and confusion.First let me know who Ramana is?(This should tally with what Sri Bhagavan has said).All your differences are on account of not understanding the Truth of this.

Dear sir,

I think I am not expressing my point clearly.  Truth is anyway not understood by me and that is why I am in this earth for another round.

My way is this much sir:  I want a regular curriculum based approach, join a Master and his teachings with  a sense of belonging and wherever I go or whatever I read,  think of Sage Ramana as a central pivot point.

I dont know the hi-fi definition of who Ramana is, Divine or any formless impersonal Truth manifestation.

I just gave a systematic approach which I know works very well for some.  The idea I am stressing is, let us all choose one Guru whom we love very much and spend maximum time in his thoughts and teachings.   Other saints now and then we go and offer salutations.

Yesterday I was reading Satprem's Mothers Agenda that was archived in my laptop long ago.
It was a very long time after I revisited briefly. 

All happens sir, whatever way is convenient for you , you may continue.  All are in the end holy only.

Somehow for me,  lengthy references, volumes of writings by other saints do not work anymore. 

Ramana alone rings for the most part of my memory with the Guru's self realized disciples like Sadhu Om, Lakshmana Swamy, Annamalai Swamy and Papaji taking rest of my attention.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: July 22, 2014, 12:14:21 PM »
ksksat(krishna),

My way is this much sir:  I want a regular curriculum based approach, join a Master and his teachings with  a sense of belonging and wherever I go or whatever I read,  think of Sage Ramana as a central pivot point.

This is okay.Please do not think that this should be the way for others.Do not try to judge others by your limited yardstick and proselytise.
Please go through your mails to see the sort of advices that you keep posting for others.

Namaskar.

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #985 on: July 22, 2014, 12:43:29 PM »
ok thankyou for sharing your feedback openly. There are so many paths according to each one's aspiration and comfort level.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #986 on: July 22, 2014, 09:36:35 PM »
Never postpone a thing for tomorrow if it is possible for you to do it today. Do not boast or make a show of your abilities. Be simple and humble. Always be cheerful. Give up worries. Be indifferent to things that do not concern you. Fly away from bad company and discussion. Be alone for a few hours daily~Swami Sivananda
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #987 on: July 23, 2014, 07:04:46 AM »
Practice of japa

MUKHERJI: "Revered sir, is it good to practise japa?"

MASTER: "Yes. One attains God through japa. By repeating the name of God secretly and in solitude one receives divine grace. Then comes His vision. Suppose there is a big piece of timber lying under water and fastened to the land with a chain; by proceeding along the chain, link by link, you will at last touch the timber.
"Higher than worship is japa, higher than japa is meditation, higher than meditation is bhava, and higher than bhava are mahabhava and prema. Chaitanyadeva had prema, When one attains prema one has the rope to tie God."

excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #988 on: July 23, 2014, 10:54:51 AM »
Friends,
Latu Maharaj(Swami Adbhutananda) was a direct disciple of Sri Ramakrishna.Latu lost his parents early in life and from a Village in Bihar ,he came to Calcutta and was employed as a servant boy in the house of Ramchandra dutta,a householder disciple of Sri Ramakrishna.I have posted elsewhere as to how Latu came in contact with Sri Ramakrishna.The Master tried to teach the Bengali alphabets to Latu but gave up in exasperation.Latu stayed with the Master and served him.After the passing away of the master,when the young disciples took their monastic names,Latu was named as 'Adbutananda'(Adbhuta means wonder-wonder boy of Sri Ramakrishna,unlettered and who yet became a great Sage who could explain any scriptural doubts of devotees with his deep insight born of his Realization of Truth first hand.)Swami Vivekananda used to affectionately call him as 'Plato'(Sri Ramakrishna used to call him 'LetO' and swamji changed it to 'Plato' in an endearing fashion).

A devotee asked Latu Maharaj:How can we love God or surrender to Him, without seeing Him?

Latu Maharaj answered: "Don't you send your application for a job to the manager of a company without ever seeing him? Your interview with the manager depends upon sending your application to him. You write the application thus: 'Sir, please appoint me for the job; I shall be extremely happy to serve you; I promise my unswerving obedience to you', and so on. And you write all this without ever having seen the manager, don't you? Similarly, you can send an application to the Lord. However, this application is not to be written on paper, but on the pages of one's mind: 'O Lord, may I never forget Your name. I take refuge in You. Please assign me to Your service and destroy my ego and doubts. You are my master, guru, father, mother, and all in all. I am Your child. Make me your instrument. Do not delude me with Your bewitching maya. O my sweet Lord, I have not seen You; I have only heard Your name. Please make me Your own'. You will have to pray like this daily. Only then will He choose to bestow His grace on you."

Namaskar.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:57:59 AM by Ravi.N »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: July 23, 2014, 01:42:32 PM »
Swami Sarvalokananda of Ramakrishna Mutt, Mumbai is on a visit to Sri Ramana ashram. Swamiji said he experienced deep peace and serenity on entering the gates of Ramana ashram. He had always had a wish to visit Ramanasramam. Swamiji acceded to ashram?s request and favored us with a lecture on Ramana Maharshi and Bhagavan Ramakrishna Paramahamsa on Tuesday July 22nd at 10 AM in the auditorium of ashram library.
He quoted ?Ekam sat Vipra Bahuda Vadanti? that is ?Truth is one but sages describe it in many ways?. All sages and saints proclaim the universal truth adapted to the age they live in. He observed that Ramana Maharshi was a Jnani from outside but a Bhakta from inside. Ramakrsihna Paramahamsa was a Bhakta from outside but a Jnani from inside. The fours Paths of yoga; Janana, Bhakti, Karma and Raja Yoga according to Swamiji are not in competition with each other but complement each other.
Fear psychosis is common to all beings. In enjoyment there is fear of illness, in wealth there is fear of loss and embodied beings have to deal with old age and death. He quoted a conversation between Bankim Chandra Chatterjee and Ramakrishna Paramahansa to illustrate that even great literary figures think the purpose of life is to eat, sleep and make merry. They lack knowledge of imperishable real Self which survives death. He quoted from Ramana Maharshi to establish that the real nature of man is happiness. It is not wrong to seek happiness but it should not be sought in ephemeral or transient worldly life. He quoted from Ramakrishna Parahamasa( Ramana Maharshi also has said this) that self can be discovered by diving deep inside one?s own self.
He narrated the incidents from the life of Buddha where he comes in contact with suffering people which convinced him that no one can escape old age, disease and death. By renouncing the world and his enlightenment Lord Buddha taught the universal truth. The lecture was concluded with a prayer for universal welfare.

Source : Sri Ramana Maharshi FaceBook page
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:44:18 PM by atmavichar100 »