Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 284934 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #915 on: June 01, 2014, 05:00:09 PM »
Friends,
For those(especially Indians!) who think that the obituary of vedic tradition is almost imminent or is already written!I refer you to this article on vedAchArya vAmadEva shastri(David Frawley):

http://www.vedanet.com/about/about-acharya-david-frawley-pandit-vamadeva-shastri/

The story of David Frawley is quite interesting -how he came to the Vedic(not vedantic)path-inspired by the writings of Sri Aurobindo.Truly Sri Aurobindo's 'Secret of the Vedas' is a marvellous revelation of the Glory of the Vedic path.It was this that drew sri kapali sastri to Sri Aurobindo adhram and he used the 'keys' provided by Sri Aurobindo and expounded the veda rahasya(Secret).

Kanchi mahAswAmi was born to revive the vEdic dharma -and has been a living exemplar of vedic teaching.The Vedic Tradition will live on as long as the world lasts-No question about this,irrespective of what may be apparent to our immediate perception.I do perceive this,but I am nobody significant to comment on this.

This is what Sri Ramakrishna has said in this interesting conversation with 'M' .Incidentally it is sri Ramakrishna who raises this question!:

Master:"Do you think the Brahmo Samaj will develop in the future into a sort of social-reform organization?"

M: "The soil of this country is different. Only what is true survives here."

MASTER: "Yes, that is so. The Sanatana Dharma, the Eternal Religion declared by the rishis, will alone endure. But there will also remain some sects like the Brahmo Samaj.Everything appears and disappears through the will of God."

Namaskar

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #916 on: June 01, 2014, 05:52:34 PM »
Vedic Hymns are so delightful to listen when an able pandit chants them.  It is better to sing them with Vedic ragas, or listen
with full mind and heart.

Max Mueller who was a German wanted to learn Rig Veda.  Those days, his country (Germany) and Britain were enemies
and so he could not sail to India.  He arranged for a Vedic pandit to come over to Germany and started learning and
listening Rig Veda.  He spent forty years in these noble acts and also translated the hymns.  One can see his writings in
Max Mueller Bhagavan in some cities like Chennai.

Arunachala Siva.   

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: June 01, 2014, 09:28:59 PM »
    Surely not even .000001% of the world population can follow what Maharaj has to say!The vedas also say the same thing but they do so for the one who is ripe enough for that.For the rest also,the Vedas recommend what is appropriate at that stage in development.It does not tell a 'Tiger'-Please be friendly with the 'antelope'-just graze on grass!
The world is not made to suit our comfort and sensibility.So, personally I too am a strict vegetarian and uphold non-killing but on this score I do not expect that the world has to adopt that.This land of the Rishis is where this teaching of ahimsa has prevailed since hoary ages and it still is paramO dharma.No question about this. 

Dear Sri Ravi,

I actually never refered to non violence. Sure complete violence is not possible coz this very life is violence itself. So long to be born,something must die,all is survivor. This not accepting of sacrifices i would call just common sense. I do not get,how for God's sake eating pate and killing a horse so my crops can flurish can be the same thing. Especially when we only presume what Sages ment,and when we take into account that most religiously influental people are most dangerous today.

I do not refuse thoughts of all Sages,but so far i saw,they all had different perspective,and i would not call all equally wise. Theses days all chose some part and stick to it subbornly,when later that grows into fundamentalism,and actual deffending of their own view,little bit patriotism added so people will arose and follow,and all along,what is deffended is only his sect and views. And one more barrier is added,along with confusion... I saw this in many words of less or better known Swamis,Gurus. I actually do not know any of them,only had opportunity to read their views a little bit. But enough i would say.

But that is all i wish to say regarding this subject. If i actually can understand what is the subject here...

Thank You for the words of Sri Ramakrishna and Maharaj,dear Sri Ravi!

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:30:48 PM by Jewell »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #918 on: June 01, 2014, 10:30:27 PM »
Friends,
sadhu arunAchala(Major Chadwick)was instrumental in ensuring the that veda pArayana continued in Sri RamanAsramam after Sri Bhagavan's passing away.Here is an excerpt from his reminiscences:

Morning and evening the Vedas would be chanted before Bhagavan, lasting some forty-five minutes. At first this was done by some local Brahmins coming twice a day
from town. But this was not altogether convenient, so in 1947 a Veda School was started in the Ashram itself, consisting of six boys who now took on this duty.
Bhagavan obviously loved to listen to the Vedas. Directly they started, he would immediately sit up on his couch and tuck his legs under him, while a far away look would
come into his eyes, and he would remain motionless until they were finished
. At the end of each recitation everybody was expected to stand up while the boys chanted some verses in praise of the Self-realized Sage, afterwards prostrating to the Guru.

In his reminiscences,Sadhu arunAchala makes this apt obervation with which I am in total agreement:

The classic examples of these four Yogas in modern times are: Jnanam, Sri Ramana Maharshi; Bhakti, Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa; Yoga, Sri Aurobindo of Pondicherry; and Karma, Sri Shankaracharya of Kanchi Peetam, the only one of the above still in the body.

Each of these Masters came to reveal a certain aspect of Truth-and this ofcourse does not mean that Sri Ramakrishna was not a jnAni or Sri Bhagavan was not a Bhakta or that kAnchi mahAswami was not a yogin and Sri Aurobindo was not a karma yogin.It just goes to share the typical outer characteristic typical of them.

Most importantly,for those who may not know the Sage of KAnchi,he was the one who had initiated Sri AnnAmalai swami in panchAkshari Mantra and blessed him to go to his Guru Sri Ramana.It was again the kAnchi mahAswAmi who sent paul brunton to the maharshi and through him the world came to know Sri Bhagavan.

Such is the stature of this great soul and his words on the vedAs are quite  authentic and based on First hand experiential knowledge-and they carry conviction.They are not the zeal of a sectarian outlook which proclaims -'My religion is the Best'.

I shall be continuing the mahAswAmi's illuminating talks in the Vedas thread.

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #919 on: June 01, 2014, 10:45:28 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Its interesting and inspiring to note that all kinds of people co existed at Ramanasramam. We had westerners with various backgrounds, we had the Muslims, jews, parsis, we had the brahmins and the others. Each lived in spirit without disturbing ones own place among each other!

And indeed its very inspiring to note what you have mentioned, "The classic examples of these four Yogas in modern times are: Jnanam, Sri Ramana Maharshi; Bhakti, Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa; Yoga, Sri Aurobindo of Pondicherry; and Karma, Sri Shankaracharya of Kanchi Peetam, the only one of the above still in the body."

Thanks so much for opening the topic on Vedas, its really such a refresher and inspiring.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #920 on: June 01, 2014, 11:58:20 PM »
Hari,

I have always wondered what is the need of the Vedas if you have Self-realized Guru?

Here is the answer to your question in a seed form:

"Upa-ni-sad" means to "sit near by". The Upanisads are the teachings imparted by a guru to his student sitting by his side [sitting at his feet].
You could also take the term to mean "that which takes one to the Brahman". "Upanayana" may be interpreted in two ways: leading a child to his guru; or leading him to the Brahman. Similiarly, the term Upanisad could also be understood in the above two senses.

If a student sits close to the teacher when he is recieving instruction it means that a "rahasya" (a secret or a mystery) is being conveyed to him.
Such teachings are not meant to be imparted to those who are not sufficiently mature and who are not capable of cherishing their value.
That is why in the Upanisads themselves these words occur where subtle and esoteric truths are expounded:"This is Upanisad. This is Upanisad".
What is held to be a secret in the Vedas is called a "rahasya". In the Upanisads the term "Upanisad" is itself used to mean the same.

Sri Ramakrishna says:

He who is an acharya has to know different things.One needs a sword and shield to kill others; but to kill oneself, a needle or a nail-knife suffices

This is to say that an acharya has to deal with people of different temperaments and different maturity levels and prescribe disciplines accordingly.

The Vedas present a ready and proven list of prescriptions and disciplines,for a wide section of people irrespective of whether they are saivaites,vaishnavites,dualists,qualified dualists or monists.
Further how many can find a Guru who is accessible and ready to guide on a personal level,on a day to day basis.the Vedas act as an unfailing guru and if one sincerely follows the prescriptions ,even a bare minimum of them,one will go a long way.

Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #921 on: June 02, 2014, 02:47:37 PM »
Dear Ravi,

I read with great interest about the Vedas and rituals for the departed etc.,  My simple questions to members of the
Forum are:

1. How many are you having tuft of hair (shika)?

2. How many of you are attending to the Offices with shika?

3. How many of you are having Agnihotram fire at home (muthee says Tevaram).

4. How many of you are doing amavasya tarpanam with the help of a Vedic pandit?  How many of you pay
him sumptuously?

5.  How many of you do sraadham (death ceremonies) calling Vedic pandits and do that ceremony elaborately and
ultimately pay them sumptuously?

6. How many of you who have gone abroad crossing the sea and come back, do prayaschitam? 

I do not want to give this post for poll.  But each one can reply at their leisure.

Arunachala Siva.         

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #922 on: June 02, 2014, 03:02:43 PM »
subramanian,
You have asked so many questions.I will ask only one question.How does the answer to these questions interest or benefit you?
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #923 on: June 02, 2014, 03:34:18 PM »
Dear Ravi,

I asked this because many of us (including me) are not doing any of these things.  There are many people who do not
even apply Sri Suranam or Vibhuti while going to Office.  Perhaps one in ten thousand may be following the above requirements.

As you have said that these prescriptions suggested by Maha Swami, has very few followers today.  These have become
only of theoretical value.  No doubt Mahaswami told these with good intentions.  Like Gandhiji said about Widow remarriage.

((I am only doing Amavasya tarpanam faithfully on every new moon day.  Here again, I am not able to get a priest and
so I do it myself (but correctly),.

Sri Aurobindo consumed one pound of animal flesh everyday.  I have read it somewhere.  Of course, he may not be a
brahmin though he wrote about The Secret of Vedas. 

maRaivaaga namakkullE pazham kathaigal pEsuvathil mahimai illai.....

Arunachala Siva. 

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #924 on: June 02, 2014, 04:29:05 PM »
Subramanian,
I suspected this and your response confirmed the same.I understand your position-maRaivaaga namakkullE pazham kathaigal pEsuvathil mahimai illai.....

For the benefit of readers,I am translating this:"There is no Glory in stealthily mumbling some old tales".

I understand that you are not interested or deem these things of practical value,although you have read the articles with interest.

May be there will be a few out there who are reading all this and they may think otherwise.May be they will  find this of some practical value.May be they would try a few if not all of what is recommended.May be they would get to the true heart of this ancient discipline and discover something that is of lasting value.

If nothing else,they may atleast encourage others who are earnest about it and are following it in all sincerity.

So,the possibilities are endless-May be that some may be inspired to become the change they want to see.

Such is the nature of this subject.I subscribe to this point of view.This is the spirit with which we need to approach this subject.

As for me,if it can at all help in any way,I got initiated into upanayana at the age of 7 and had never missed a single sandhya vandana till the age of 17.Nor did I take food without doing the sandhya three times a day.
Our Grandpa engaged an excellent Vedic Pandit-Who never ever aimed for money-He taught us the Taittriya Upanishad,Rudram,Chamakam,Arunam,mahanarayana upanishad,all the various suktams.

Having a tuft of hair and Pancha kachcham are no problem for me;I do not have these attire but can certainly slip into one if I deem it necessary.

Yes,My elder brother does all these Karmas without fail.

We have tremendous reverence for this vedic Guru-He performed my wedding vows and samskArams.I am what I am today ,thanks to his blessings.He is no more.He passed away years back.

I have other aspects of sadhana ,but these do not detract me from appreciating the finer aspects of the Vedic approach.I know that among the most important things,it gets rid of fickleness of mind and imparts a steadiness to spiritual living.

Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #925 on: June 02, 2014, 05:15:03 PM »
Dear Ravi,

I am happy that you are following some of these prescriptions.  But majority including me, do not do.  Anyway I thank
you for your wonderful exposition on Vedas and pitru karmas.  They are quite useful, as you have pointed out, for someone
to  take interest and then start doing it.

Once Sri Bhagavan saw Mahadevan son of Kavyakanta coming to the Asramam.  He was having a long flowing hair,
a la, Thyagaraja Bhagvatar, an actor of old years. Sri Bhagavan chided him and said:  'Are you not the son of Nayana?
Why are you having a long hair instead of a shika.  Go and do it first.'  Mahadevan was mortally afraid of Sri Bhagavan
and he came next day with a hair converted into shika and the front portion nicely shaven!

Sri Bhagavan respected all old customs.  But He being an ati varnasrami did not follow them Himself.  But He listened
Veda Parayana etc.,

There is another extreme.  Arthur Avlon, a serious Sakti worshipper, (he has written many books on Saktam) was having
a tuft of hair!

Arunachala Siva.       

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #926 on: June 02, 2014, 06:10:14 PM »
Subramaniam Sir

With regard to your questions , I can say my grand father ( my mothers father ) nearly lived like what you have asked except that  he did not do Agni Hotram and he lived till 98 years . As for me right from the time my father died in 1999 till date I do the ammavasya regularly ( I hardly have missed any ammavasya ) , do the Mahalaya Tarpanam and annual Sraddham and give very generously to my family priest . In fact I was blessed to get a wonderful family priest after the death of my father as when he died he never had a priest and the last 10 years of my fathers life he never did any tarpams etc as the regular family priest who used to come died in an accident and he got fed up with others who were not coming on time and some would never turn up at all etc etc .
My Yoga Journey ( by the grace of Swami Sivananda ) started in mid 1997 and might be that was the grace that blessed me with a very good and learned priest after my father's death in Mid 1999 and till now I am maintaining him and giving him generously daksina and also contributing financially to his Vedic Trust whenever I can . It was due to this priest I could get a close audience with  Sringeri Acharya Sri Sri Bharati Teerta Mahaswmigal when he visited Chennai in 2012 for Chaturmasya and I consider it as another big blessing in my life .

I know that I cant live a life as a true Brahmin as per the questions given by you but at the same time I felt that one must understand in depth as much as possible and practice as much as one can  the Vedic Dharma as practiced by our ancestors which are nothing but instructions from the Rishis  . India is a land of excellent spiritual and cultural treasures like Vedic Dharma , Yoga Sastra , Ayurveda , Siddha , Vaastu Sastra , Silpa Sastra , Astrology , Temple Architecture , Natya Sastra , Music etc etc and one must do one's best to Understand and learn at least one of these treasures and pass it on to the next generation  . My Primary sadhana is the Yoga Sadhana but at the same time being a Brahmin I felt that I must at least Understand the essentials of the Vedic Dharma as relevant to one's day to day life and in this regard I can consider myself only as a student still studying the same and trying to imbibe as much as possible in my own day to day life and for this I take guidance from the teachings of Kanchi Mahaswamigaland Sringer Acharyas .

There is one set of people who believe that either you follow all the rules of  a Brahmin or follow none .I do not subscribe to this view .I have kept for myself the priority  to study and follow what best as I can . One thing is for sure if you follow these Vedica Karmas in form and spirit it promotes lot of sattva and keeps the mind calm and  one pointed and that is very key for pursuing Jnana Marga .
BTW we tend to take consolation from the fact that not many people are following these things .It depends upon what sort of people whom you keep meeting in day to day life . There are still dedicated people belonging to Kanchi and Sringeri Mutt and other Vaishnava Mutts who follow these things very seriously and after retirement they spend more time in these activities . These people are spending their retirement time very wisely instead of watching TV / Reading News papers non stop . My brother who is in USA is right now learning Sri Rudram from a software consultant in USA who even though staying in USA is very seriously following the  Vedic Dharma as much as possible there and in fact teaching others Sri Rudram .So there are still people attending their day to day work plus following their Vedic Dharma as much as possible .They were blessed to be initiated  in to this path quite early in their life by their parents / Grandparents and those samskaras still stay with them when they grow up . For the rest I feel instead of giving it up as too late I say "Better late than Never ".

However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #927 on: June 03, 2014, 06:37:26 AM »
Atmavichar/Friends,

BTW we tend to take consolation from the fact that not many people are following these things .It depends upon what sort of people whom you keep meeting in day to day life

Well said.

I can consider myself only as a student still studying the same and trying to imbibe as much as possible in my own day to day life and for this I take guidance from the teachings of Kanchi Mahaswamigaland Sringer Acharyas

Wonderful.

For the rest I feel instead of giving it up as too late I say "Better late than Never "

This is what Sage TiruvaLLuvar says:

மறப்பினும் ஓத்துக் கொளலாகும் பார்ப்பான்
பிறப்பொழுக்கங் குன்றக் கெடும்

Even if the Brahmin(பார்ப்பான்)forgets the chant(ஓத்து)he may learn it again
If his AchAram(பிறப்பொழுக்கம்-AchAram)) dwindles it will be disaster.

kAnchi mahAswAmy points to this important verse in the TirukkuRaL and interprets it in this straight forward fashion.As long as the Brahmin adheres to his AchAram,he can redeem everything.If he neglects it and let it dwindle,it will lead to ruin.

Many others interpret it differently:They split the word as பிறப்பு + ஒழுக்கம்.They then interpret this to say that if the Brahmin falls from Right conduct ஒழுக்கம்,It will be ruin.The Fallacy is that this is not applicable to the Brahmin only but to anyone else as well.

mahAswAmy brilliantly points out that vEdAs are the Treasure for all and it is the brAhmin who is supposed to uphold it by chanting and adhering to vedic Dharma and achAra and anushtAna.It is thus very important that the BrAhmin adheres to even the outer observances.

We may now brand that 'TiruKKuRaL' is also 'Old Tale' and its teachings are also not practical!What is practical is what we do!I am the Follower of Sage X or Y and that is good enough for me.

The real question is whether we truly follow Sage X or Sage Y.If we examine this ,we will find that we are simply caught in our pet ideas.

Atleast the orthodox ones are following not their ways but what is recommended by the sages.They are a notch better.

Namaskar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #928 on: June 03, 2014, 07:46:58 AM »
Atleast the orthodox ones are following not their ways but what is recommended by the sages.They are a notch better.

Dear Sri Ravi

Well put . In this context I remember once having an 1-1 discussion with Swami Paramarthananda many years back about following one's heart and following the Vedic Injunctions . Swamiji made it very clear that in certain things it is wiser to follow what the ancients have prescribed and not follow one's heart as one's heart is  highly colored by one's likes and dislikes and we will tend to do what we like and avoid what we dislike . As long as one's likes and dislikes sync with what the Ancients have said there is no problem but it is highly unlikely without a proper training right from Childhood on these matters and that is why he told at a young age boys are initiated with the Upanayana and given a set of instructions that they need to follow ( Taittriya Upnasihad has all these instructions ) .
He told many things that ancient have prescribed cant be understood at a young age and we can see the benefits slowly unfolding over the years and it is better not to question at the beginning and just follow it only that you take the instructions from a proper Guru . He also told that in case you do not have a proper Guru to guide in the Vedic Samskaras better follow the instructions followed by one of the various spiritual Organizations like Chinmaya Mission , Ramakrishna Mission , Sivananda Organziation etc  etc which every Individual is usually exposed to in the early part of one's life and use it as a base to build it up further . For me the association with the Sivananda Organization taught me the very basics like saying prayer before meals , doing daily 2 times prayer & Japa Morning and evening  , attending Sunday Satsang , chanting of Vishnu Sahasranama on Sat and Lalitha Sahasranama on Fridays , Guru Puja on Thu , Visiting temples and holy places ,reading scriptures, fasting on Ekadasi, the right food to be followed   and showing respect to saints etc etc .The 20 Points of Swami Sivananda were the guiding force for me and I am still assimilating that in to my day to day life . It was with this background I came across the finer points of the teachings of our Vedic Dharma as elaborated by Sri Kanchi Mahaswaigal in his book "Voice of God - 7 Volumes " that I hold it as the best source for our Vedic Dharma  and which I consider as my constant companion for the rest of my life .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #929 on: June 03, 2014, 08:27:12 AM »
Friends,

some stray musings...

Moreover, the Dharmasastras are not stubborn and forceful as well. There is a shloka which i don't remember, but it says, one has to follow 100% when one is at ones own place ie. agrahara, 75% if one is at a village and 50% if one is at town. In these ways the sastras themselves go hand in hand with the pace of ones living.

These obligatory duties are like the chains tied to the elephant leg, with a tree, so that it does not go about beyond a point, which over a period of time, comes to believe that it cannot move even if the chain is not tied to the tree. Similarly, do these sastric injunctions keep us at check and makes sure that we do not get out of the boundary beyond the spirt of God and our ultimate goal.

What is important is the spirit behind, it is paying our homage to the source of all knowledge, what we talk so much about Brahma Jnana etc... we owe our salutations to the Vedas, and all the ways prescribed which we can follow is truly paying of respects to the source.

Just to share, i never had any special background in my childhood days, i barely knew any shlokas, but since my upanayanam, which also was late when i was around 17, i was inspired to make efforts to learn the Sandhya worship, i struggled and struggled a lot to learn it, it was alien to my upbringing, i was basically pampered and enjoyed the luxuries and enjoyments of life!!! i have been learnining the vedas, from a Guru here locally, also was inspired to take up panchayatana puja, Gods grace, some times my Guru takes me to houses where any Rudraabhihekam etc. is conducted.

I could not even find one who could teach me the Sandhya worship, all were busy in their lives and work, i remember buying cassettes and listening to them in Walkman in the nights. I used to be scared to approach purohits. But at every stage Mother Gayatri has herself arranged for everything i required and i believe that truly she has been shaping my life, ever since.

I began from scratch zero, i do not profess to know much in the matters of sastras, but i am able to enjoy appreciate the innate spirit behind these acts and the faith that i am able to see in some few people whom i know in my circle. It is the Gayatri which has indeed blessed me with various blessings from spirituality. I believe it is the Gayatri that brought me to Ramana Bhagavan, it is the Gayatri that brought me to Ramakrishnar, it is the Gayatri that gave me the access to various unheard of scriptures. It is the Gayatri that gave me a chance to learn vedas mantras. In a limited life of mine, i have seen the power of Gayatri, as to how powerful it is, If muttered even casually, it protects and brings to the person all wonderful things of life. I was unable to read fast, i knew nothing well, neither sanskrit or tamil, or any any language for that matter, but the preranai that came out of Gayatri, i was able to learn many shlokas, i remember even now, how much i used to struggle, reading devanagari letter, i used to read letter by letter to learn thye Vishnu Saharanamam, it all looks like a miracle if i look back. I wouldnt even say even that i did any great such great japam of Gayatri, But Gayatri mantram is miracle, to the extant that the Gayatri manifests herself in the form of your Guru eventually.

I know and have met persons who are doing Nithya Agni hotram and also do Swayam Paakam in the times of todays, which is remarkable.

Talking about tuft, i did have small tuft for some time, but my mother did not like it, however, later, by mistake when i had a hair cut, the barber chopped it off by mistake :-) and therefore i deemed, that it was Gods will and keeping the Mother happy is supreme duty some times even over sastras. Adi Shankarar Himself was a great rebel, who did the final obligatory duties towards his mother against the village as we well know.

--
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 08:31:27 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta