Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 377830 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #840 on: January 26, 2014, 02:14:20 PM »
SELF-ENQUIRY IN THE MIDST OF EVERYDAY LIFE

One Venkatarama lyer questioned Ramana, in Skandasramam days, whether combining activities and Self-attention is possible.

Q: Whichever way one turns, one finds that the mind has to be subdued. We are told it has to be controlled. Can this really be done when on the one hand the mind is an entity not easily grasped and on the other one continues to have worldly worries?

Bhagavan: "A person who has never seen an ocean must take a trip to it to know about it. Standing there before the huge expanse of water, this person may wish to bathe in the sea. Of what use is it if, seeing the roaring and rolling of the waves, he were to just stand there thinking, 'I shall wait for all this to subside. When it does, I shall enter it for a quiet bath just inthe pond back home?’ He has to realize either by himself or by being told that the ocean is restless and that
it has been so from the moment of creation and will continue likewise till pralaya (destruction). He will then resolve to learn to bathe in it, as it is.

"He may wade into it and learn to duck under a wave and let it pass over him. He would naturally hold his breath while doing so. Soon he would be g skilled enough to duck at a stretch,wave after wave and thus achieve the purpose of bathing without coming to grief. The ocean may go on with its waves and though in it, he is free from
its grip. So too here."

Paul Brunton has also plied Sri Ramana with questions on this point.

Q: How is it possible to become selfless while leading a life of worldly activities?

A: "There is no conflict between work and wisdom."

Q: Do you mean to say that one can continue all old activities, in one’s profession for instance, and at the same time get enlightenment?

Bhagavan: “Why not? But in that case one will be centered on That, which is beyond the little self.”

The busiest hours will not be different from those earmarked for
meditation. The current generated by association with the energy source in the heart would be the continuous substratum with its overflowing peace and joy.

The habit of externalization of the mind is long ingrained. Till the experience of an inward way of life with its beauty and bliss grows upon one there is need tor steadfast practice. To use Ramana's words "Long cultivated tendencies can indeed be eradicated by long continued meditation". He asks, "Can a man become a high officer by merely seeing such an officer once?... Can a beggar become a king by merely visiting a king and declaring himself one?.... Gradually one should. by all possible means, try always to be aware of the Self. Everything is achieved if one succeeds in this." (S.E.)

During the practice of the Ramana Way one would be in and out of the experience of the natural state and its bliss. Knowledge and ignorance would be intermittent, and co-exist at this transition stage. But as the experience of the power of the Self grows, the mind's capacity to lure one away would weaken. Ramana's purpose would have been
done when all straying ceases, when the mind is merged in its source firmly, without a break, who can describe the joy of such a life?

A traveller on the spiritual journey may wander around on indirect paths, may take detours, but in the end he has to come to self-enquiry and the way of the heart. The individual separated from his roots, from his moorings, from his source, must inevitably get back to this
true home as surely as the restless rain drops rejoin their source, the wean, or the birds return to earth from which they have risen and for a while in the sky.

(Timeless in Time, A.R. Natarajan)
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 26, 2014, 02:17:55 PM »
D.: Is intellectual knowledge enough?
M.: Unless intellectually known, how to practice it? Learn it
intellectually first, then do not stop with that. Practise it.
Maharshi then made certain remarks: “When you adhere to one
philosophical system (siddhanta) you are obliged to condemn
the others. That is the case with the heads of monasteries
(matadhipatis)”.
All people cannot be expected to do the same kind of action.
Each one acts according to his temperament and past lives.
Wisdom, Devotion, Action (jnana, bhakti, karma) are all
interlocked. Meditation on forms is according to one’s own mind.
It is meant for ridding oneself of other forms and confining oneself
to one form. It leads to the goal. It is impossible to fix the mind
in the Heart to start with. So these aids are necessary. Krishna
says that there is no birth (janma) to you, me, etc., and later says
he was born before Aditya, etc. Arjuna disputes it. Therefore it is
certain that each one thinks of God according to his own degree
of advancement.
You say you are the body in wakeful state; not the body in sleep.
Bodies being several-fold for an individual, should not there be
infinite capacities for God? Whichever method one follows, that
method is encouraged by the Sages. For it leads to the goal like
any other method.

Talk 40
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 27, 2014, 09:14:01 AM »

Q: Is it better to pray or not to pray when you do not understand the meaning of the chants?

A: If you compare and try to decide between praying and not praying, the one who prays is nobler than the one who cannot pray. One who regularly prays at least has the decency to accept the presence of a superior intelligence, guiding, protecting, helping and serving all beings. When such an individual prays, his mind’s attention is, at least for the time being, lifted in devotion to that mysterious, unknown, but ever-benevolent Supreme. In order to maintain the mind in that uplifted mood, chants, hymns, maṅtra and rhythms and special sanctified areas like temples or churches can all be great help.
The next best thing is to understand the meaning of what we are chanting. In itself the meaning has nothing to add to the seekers’ spiritual stature because there are many erudite scholars who can understand the meaning of a chant, but they have no devotion to lift their minds toward it. Even if you do not know the meaning, chanting is useful. A mother lovingly hugs the child, prattling and humming, and the child, who can understand nothing of words, becomes consoled and falls asleep. Practice chanting for six months; bring it within your own personal experience and you will know the truth of it.
A looter merely repeated the word “Ram, Ram” and reached the status of Valmiki; and a little innocent child, Dhruva, repeating the maṅtra “Om Namo Bhagavate Vāsudevāya,” attained enlightenment. It is not the meaning of the words that is important. They are a crutch for the mind to turn in the direction of the Self. In ardent faith, with true and deep devotion, and with the mind not running into sense objects, if we can turn our attention for a few moments a day to call out to Him, it will be the most effective prayer. The child may be in any part of the house; it need not know where the mother is, but the moment the child cries, “Ma, Ma,” the mother appears and gathers the child to her bosom.

– Page 64, In the Company of Sages

In this book, two visionaries: Swami Chinmayananda and Swami Tejomayananda address many questions that can arise in the minds of spiritual students. Their answers are thought provoking and immensely inspiring.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:19:03 AM by atmavichar100 »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 27, 2014, 05:16:09 PM »
Q : How is the ego to be destroyed?

SRI RAMANA MAHARSHI: Hold the ego first and then ask how it is to be destroyed. Who asks this question? It is the ego. Can the ego ever agree to kill itself? This question is a sure way to cherish the ego and not to kill it. If you seek the ego you will find it does not exist. That is the way to destroy it.

~ from Talk-615

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 28, 2014, 09:35:13 AM »
Q: Why is the concept of God necessary in spiritual life?
A: It is not necessary as long as one is willing to logically and truthfully investigate the body, mind and intellect and the perceiver, feeler, thinker in relation to the objects, emotions, and thoughts. Such an enquiry will lead to the Subject in us, and we will be forced to accept that something other than matter is expressing itself through matter. This spiritual essence is indicated by the word God.

– Page 6, In the Company of Sages (Q&A With Swami Chinmayananda & Swami Tejomayananda , Chinmaya Publications )

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 28, 2014, 05:07:52 PM »
Dr. T. N. Krishnaswamy gives an account of his experiences as the `official photographer' of the Ashram. As confirmed by Sri Bhagavan, the Divine assumes a visible, physical form out of Grace to give solace and guidance to devotees. The importance of Sri Bhagavan's pictures is therefore obvious.

OWING TO MY busy life in Madras I could usually spend only a day or a part of a day at Tiruvannamalai when I went there. I always took my camera with me and I used to spend the whole time with the Maharshi and take as many photos of him as I could. I was afraid he would get annoyed at my persistence, but he never did. I have photographed him walking, sitting, eating, wiping his feet. I have caught him smiling and laughing, speaking and silent, and also in samadhi. Once he was going up the Hill when it started to rain and he was offered a home-made palm-leaf umbrella and I snapped him using it. I took another picture of him using an ordinary umbrella and smiling broadly as he did so.

Sometimes I used to wonder if it was not ridiculous of me to pay so much attention to photography when his teaching was that "I am not the body". Was I not chasing the shadow and even trying to perpetuate it? At the time I paid very little attention to his teaching. I was attracted only by the beauty and grace of his person. It gave me immense pleasure to take pictures of him. He was more important than, his teaching.

Later, when he was no longer bodily with us, I turned to his teaching; and then I found that the Grace of his Presence had prepared me for it. I had been attracted to him as a child is to its mother, without knowing why I had derived sustenance from him as a child does from its mother. I was glad afterwards that I had enjoyed his presence when he was bodily with us. The following little incident shows how he himself approved of people worshipping the physical form assumed by the Divine.

One day I was walking on Arunachala with the Maharshi when he picked up one small stone from the path and held it out to me saying, "Someone has written from abroad asking for a stone from the holiest part of the Hill. He does not know that the whole Hill is sacred. It is Siva himself. Just as we identify ourselves with a body, so Siva has chosen to identify with the Hill. Arunachala is pure Awareness in the form of a Hill. It is out of compassion to those who seek him that he has chosen to reveal himself in the form of a Hill visible to the eye. The seeker will obtain guidance and solace by staying near this Hill."

~ from Surpassing Love and Grace

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: February 04, 2014, 05:14:46 PM »
THAYUMANAVAR'S FAREWELL LETTER

"Dear friends ...
withdraw the mind from the senses
and fix it in meditation.

Control the thought-current.
Find out the thought-centre and fix yourself there.
Then you will be conscious of the Divine Self;
you will see it dancing in ecstasy.

Live in that delight.
That Delight-Consciousness, is the God in you.
He is in every heart.

You need not go anywhere to find Him.
Find your own core and feel Him there.
Peace, bliss, felicity, health - everything is in you.

Trust in the Divine in you.
Entrust yourself to His Grace.
Be as you are.
Off with past impressions.

He who lives from within an ingathered soul-life
is a real Sage though he may be a householder.
He who allows his mind to wander with the senses
is an ignoramus, though he is learned.

See as a witness, without the burden of seeing.
See the world just as you see a drama.
See without attachment, Look within.

Look at the inner light unshaken by mental impressions.
Then, floods of conscious bliss
shall come pouring in and around you from all directions.
This is the supreme Knowledge;
realize !

Aum Aum ! "

Thayumanavar or Tayumanavar, Tamil: தாயுமானவர் (1705–1742), pronounced Thāyum-ānavar, is one of the spiritual giants and a Tamil philosopher from Tamil Nadu, India. Thayumanavar articulated the Saiva Siddhanta philosophy. He wrote several Tamil hymns of which 1454 are available. His first three songs were sung 250 years ago at the Congress of Religions in Trichinopoly. His poems follow his own mystical experience, but they also outline the philosophy of South Indian Hinduism, and the Tirumandiram by Saint Tirumular in its highest form, one that is at once devotional and nondual, one that sees God as both immanent and transcendent.

Thayumanavar's key teaching is to discipline the mind, control desires and meditate peacefully. He went on to say that "it is easy to control an elephant, catch hold of the tiger's tail, grab the snake and dance, dictate the angels, transmigrate into another body, walk on water or sit on the sea; but it is more difficult to control the mind and remain quiet".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thayumanavar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: February 04, 2014, 05:18:40 PM »
ELLAM ONDRE (ALL IS ONE)

On another occasion, when I asked Bhagavan to select some reading material for me, he gave me a short-list of six books: Kaivalya Navanitam, Ribhu Gita, Ashtavakra Gita, Ellam Ondre, Swarupa Saram and Yoga Vasishtam. He laid particular stress on Ellam Ondre, telling me, "If you want moksha write, read and practise the instructions in Ellam Ondre."

--- Living by the Words of Bhagavan

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: February 04, 2014, 06:41:45 PM »
Atmavichar,

Thayumanavar articulated the Saiva Siddhanta philosophy

The above is not quite correct.His songs clearly bring out the advaita vedantin in him although he harmonised it with yoga.Thayumanavar was truly a Sage without any boundaries.Below is one of the songs that clearly brings this out.

அத்துவித வத்துவைச் சொப்ரகா சத்தனியை
         அருமறைகள் முரசறையவே
  அறிவினுக் கறிவாகி ஆனந்த மயமான
         ஆதியை அநாதியேக
தத்துவ சொருபத்தை மதசம்ம தம்பெறாச்
          சாலம்ப ரகிதமான
  சாசுவத புட்கல நிராலம்ப ஆலம்ப
          சாந்தபத வ்யோமநிலையை
நிர்தநிர் மலசகித நிஷ்ப்ரபஞ் சப்பொருளை
          நிர்விஷய சுத்தமான
  நிர்வி காரத்தைத் தடத்தமாய் நின்றொளிர்
          நிரஞ்சன நிராமயத்தைச்
சித்தமறி யாதபடி சித்தத்தில் நின்றிலகு
          திவ்யதே சோமயத்தைச்
  சிற்பர வெளிக்குள்வளர் தற்பரம தானபர
          தேவதையை அஞ்சலிசெய்வாம்.

That which is Nondual,
That which is the unique Light of Word,
That which the scriptures loud proclaim:

As the Wisdom of Wisdom
As the Bliss that fills
As the Primal One,

As the Ancient One of Tattva
That which faiths contend after,
That which is sought for support,
That which is Permanent,
That which is Fullness,
That which is without support,
That which is our support,
That which is Peace,
That which is the state of Void,
That which is Eternal Pure,
That which is untouched by the materiality of the universe,

That which is unaffected by events,
That which is Changeless,
That which shines as impassive neutrality,
That which is Blemishless,
That which is Formless,
That which is in thought
Without thought cognizing it,
That which is Divine Light Effulgence,
That which is Uncreated,
That which flourishes in the jnana void,
That God Supreme,
Let us in meekness worship.

Thayumanavar's songs are truly a rare Treasure for all aspirants.
Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #849 on: February 05, 2014, 12:18:30 PM »
Does Distance Matter?
AFTER the devotee departed, Bhagavan turned towards us and said: “People imagine that the devotees crowding around a Jnani get special favors from him. If a guru shows partiality, how can he be a Jnani? Is he so foolish as to be flattered by people’s attendance on him and the service they do? Does distance matter? The guru is pleased with him only who gives himself up entirely, who abandons his ego forever. Such a man is taken care of wherever he may be. He need not pray. God looks after him unasked. The frog lives by the side of the fragrant lotus, but it is the bee who gets the honey.”
(Selected portion of a devotee’s reminiscences.
Shantammal – speaks of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi.)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 12:21:32 PM by atmavichar100 »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #850 on: February 06, 2014, 04:33:03 AM »

॥ आदित्यहृदयम्॥

ततो युद्धपरिश्रान्तं समरे चिन्तया स्थितम्।
रावणं चाग्रतो दृष्ट्वा युद्धाय समुपस्थितम्॥ १॥

दैवतैश्च समागम्य द्रष्टुमभ्यागतो रणम्।
उपागम्याब्रवीद्राममगस्त्यो भगवान् ऋषिः॥ २॥

राम राम महाबाहो शृणु गुह्यं सनातनम्।
येन सर्वानरीन् वत्स समरे विजयिष्यसि॥ ३॥

आदित्यहृदयं पुण्यं सर्वशत्रुविनाशनम्।
जयावहं जपेन्नित्यम् अक्षय्यं परमं शिवम्॥ ४॥

सर्वमङ्गलमाङ्गल्यं सर्वपापप्रणाशनम्।
चिन्ताशोकप्रशमनम् आयुर्वर्धनमुत्तमम्॥ ५॥

रश्मिमंतं समुद्यन्तं देवासुरनमस्कृतम्।
पूजयस्व विवस्वन्तं भास्करं भुवनेश्वरम्॥ ६॥

सर्वदेवात्मको ह्येष तेजस्वी रश्मिभावनः।
एष देवासुरगणाँल्लोकान् पाति गभस्तिभिः॥ ७॥

एष ब्रह्मा च विष्णुश्च शिवः स्कन्दः प्रजापतिः।
महेन्द्रो धनदः कालो यमः सोमो ह्यपां पतिः॥ ८॥

पितरो वसवः साध्या ह्यश्विनौ मरुतो मनुः।
वायुर्वह्निः प्रजाप्राण ऋतुकर्ता प्रभाकरः॥ ९॥

आदित्यः सविता सूर्यः खगः पूषा गभस्तिमान्।
सुवर्णसदृशो भानुर्हिरण्यरेता दिवाकरः॥ १०॥

हरिदश्वः सहस्रार्चिः सप्तसप्तिर्मरीचिमान्।
तिमिरोन्मथनः शम्भुस्त्वष्टा मार्ताण्ड अंशुमान्॥ ११॥

हिरण्यगर्भः शिशिरस्तपनो भास्करो रविः।
अग्निगर्भोऽदितेः पुत्रः शङ्खः शिशिरनाशनः॥ १२॥

व्योमनाथस्तमोभेदी ऋग्यजुःसामपारगः।
घनवृष्टिरपां मित्रो विन्ध्यवीथीप्लवङ्गमः॥ १३॥

आतपी मण्डली मृत्युः पिङ्गलः सर्वतापनः।
कविर्विश्वो महातेजाः रक्तः सर्वभवोद्भवः॥ १४॥

नक्षत्रग्रहताराणामधिपो विश्वभावनः।
तेजसामपि तेजस्वी द्वादशात्मन् नमोऽस्तु ते॥ १५॥

नमः पूर्वाय गिरये पश्चिमायाद्रये नमः।
ज्योतिर्गणानां पतये दिनाधिपतये नमः॥ १६॥

जयाय जयभद्राय हर्यश्वाय नमो नमः।
नमो नमः सहस्रांशो आदित्याय नमो नमः॥ १७॥

नम उग्राय वीराय सारङ्गाय नमो नमः।
नमः पद्मप्रबोधाय मार्ताण्डाय नमो नमः॥ १८॥

ब्रह्मेशानाच्युतेशाय सूर्यायादित्यवर्चसे।
भास्वते सर्वभक्षाय रौद्राय वपुषे नमः॥ १९॥

तमोघ्नाय हिमघ्नाय शत्रुघ्नायामितात्मने।
कृतघ्नघ्नाय देवाय ज्योतिषां पतये नमः॥ २०॥

तप्तचामीकराभाय वह्नये विश्वकर्मणे।
नमस्तमोऽभिनिघ्नाय रुचये लोकसाक्षिणे॥ २१॥

नाशयत्येष वै भूतं तदेव सृजति प्रभुः।
पायत्येष तपत्येष वर्षत्येष गभस्तिभिः॥ २२॥

एष सुप्तेषु जागर्ति भूतेषु परिनिष्ठितः।
एष एवाग्निहोत्रं च फलं चैवाग्निहोत्रिणाम्॥ २३॥

वेदाश्च क्रतवश्चैव क्रतूनां फलमेव च।
यानि कृत्यानि लोकेषु सर्व एष रविः प्रभुः॥ २४॥

॥ फलश्रुतिः॥

एनमापत्सु कृच्छ्रेषु कान्तारेषु भयेषु च।
कीर्तयन् पुरुषः कश्चिन्नावसीदति राघव॥ २५॥

पूजयस्वैनमेकाग्रो देवदेवं जगत्पतिम्।
एतत् त्रिगुणितं जप्त्वा युद्धेषु विजयिष्यसि॥ २६॥

अस्मिन् क्षणे महाबाहो रावणं त्वं वधिष्यसि।
एवमुक्त्वा तदागस्त्यो जगाम च यथागतम्॥ २७॥

एतच्छ्रुत्वा महातेजा नष्टशोकोऽभवत्तदा।
धारयामास सुप्रीतो राघवः प्रयतात्मवान्॥ २८॥

आदित्यं प्रेक्ष्य जप्त्वा तु परं हर्षमवाप्तवान्।
त्रिराचम्य शुचिर्भूत्वा धनुरादाय वीर्यवान्॥ २९॥

रावणं प्रेक्ष्य हृष्टात्मा युद्धाय समुपागमत्।
सर्वयत्नेन महता वधे तस्य धृतोऽभवत्॥ ३०॥

अथ रविरवदन्निरीक्ष्य रामं
मुदितमनाः परमं प्रहृष्यमाणः।
निशिचरपतिसंक्षयं विदित्वा
सुरगणमध्यगतो वचस्त्वरेति॥ ३१॥

॥ इति आदित्यहृदयम् मन्त्रस्य॥

Aditya Hrudayam

Tato yuddhaparishraantam samare chintayaa sthitam.
raavanam chaagrato dr.ushtva yuddhaaya samupasthitam.1
Rama, exhausted and about to face Ravana ready for
a fresh battle was lost deep in contemplation.

Daivataishcha samaagamya drashhtumabhyaagato ranam
upaagamyaa braviidraama magastyo bhagavaan rishhi. 2
The all knowing sage Agastya who had joined the
Gods to witness the battle spoke to Rama thus

Raama Raama mahaabaaho shrnu guhyam sanaatanam
yena sarvaanariinvatsa samare vijayishhyasi. 3
Oh Rama, mighty-armed Rama, listen to this eternal secret,
which will help you destroy all your enemies in battle

Aaditya hrudayam punyam sarva shatru vinaashanam
Jayaavaham japennityam akshayyam paramam shivam. 4
This holy hymn dedicated to the Sun deity will result in
destroying all enemies and bring you victory and never ending supreme bliss.

Sarvamangalamaangalyam sarvapaapapranaashanam.
Chintaashokaprashamanam aayurvardhanamuttama. 5
This hymn is supreme and is a guarantee of complete prosperity
and is the destroyer of sin, anxiety, anguish and is the bestower of longevity.

Rashmimantam samudyantam devaasuranamaskrutam.
Puujayasva vivasvantam bhaaskaram bhuvaneshvaram. 6
Worship the One, possessed of rays when he has completely risen,
held in reverence by the devas and asuras, and who is the Lord of the
universe by whose efflugence all else brighten.

Sarvadevaatmako hyeshha tejasvii rashmibhaavanah.
Eshha devaasuraganaa.nllokaan paati gabhastibh. 7
He indeed represent the totality of all celestial beings.
He is self-luminous and sustains all with his rays. He nourishes and
energizes the inhabitants of all the worlds and the race of Devas and Asuras.

Eshhah brahmaa cha vishhnushcha shivah skandah prajaapati.
Mahendro dhanadah kaalo yamah somo hyapaam pati. 8
He is Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, Skanda, Prajapati.
He is also Mahendra, kubera, kala, yama, soma and varuna.

Pitaro vasavah saadhyaa hyashvinau maruto manuh.
Vaayurvahnih prajaapraana ritukartaa prabhaakarah. 9
He is the pitrs, vasus, sadhyas, aswini devas, maruts,
manu, vayu, agni, prana and, being the source of all energy and light,
is the maker of all the six seasons.

Aadityah savitaa suuryah khagah puushhaa gabhastimaan.
Suvarnasadrsho bhaanu rvishvaretaa divaakarah. 10
He is the son of Aditi, creator of the universe, inspirer of action,
transverser of the heavens. He is the sustainer, illumination of all directions,
the golden hued brilliance and is the maker of the day.

Haridashvah sahasraarchih saptasaptirmariichimaan.
Timironmathanah shambhustvashhtaa maartandam anshumaan. 11
He is the Omnipresent One who pervades all with countless rays.
He is the power behind the seven sense organs, the dispeller
of darkness, bestower of happiness and prosperity, the remover of
misfortunes and is the infuser of life.

Hiranyagarbhah shishirastapano bhaaskaro ravihi
Agnigarbhoaditeh putrah shankha shishiranaashanah. 12
He is the primordial being manifesting as the Trinity. He ushers
in the Day and is the teacher (of Hiranyagarbha), the fire-wombed,
the son of Aditi, and has a vast and supreme felicity.
He is the remover of intellectual dull-headedness.

Vyomanaatha stamobhedii rig yajuh saama paaragah.
Ghana vrishhti rapaam mitro vindhya viithii plavangama... 13
He is the Lord of the firmament, dispeller of darkness. Master of all the
vedas, he is a friend of the waters and causes rain. HE has
crossed the vindya range and sports in the Brahma Nadi.

Aatapii mandalii mrityuh pingalah sarvataapanah.
Kavirvishvo mahaatejaa raktah ssarva bhavod hbhava. 14
He, whose form is circular and is colored yellow, is intensely absorbed
and inflicts death. He is the destroyer of all and is the Omniscient
one being exceedingly energetic sustains the universe and all action.

Nakshatra grahataaraanaam adhipo vishva bhaavanah.
Tejasaamapi tejasvii dvaadashaatman namostute 15
He is the lord of stars, planets and all constellations. He is the origin of
everything in the universe and is the cause of the lustre of even the
brilliant ones. Salutations to Thee who is the One being manifest
in the twelve forms of the Sun.

Namah puurvaaya giraye pashchimaayaadraye namah.
Jyotirganaanaam pataye dinadhipataye nama. 16
Salutations to the Eastern and western mountain, Salutations to the
Lord of the stellar bodies and the Lord of the Day.

Jayaaya jayabhadraaya haryashvaaya namo namah.
Namo namah sahasraansha aadityaaya namo nama. 17
Salutations to the One who ordains victory and the prosperity that follows.
Salutations to the one possessed of yellow steeds and to
the thousand rayed Lord, and to Aditya.

Namah ugraaya viiraaya saarangaaya namo namah.
Namah padma prabodhaaya maartandaaya namo nama. 18
Salutations to the Terrible one, the hero, the one that travels fast.
Salutations to the one whose emergence makes the lotus blossom
and to the fierce and omnipotent one.

Brahmeshaana achyuteshaaya suuryaayaadityavarchase.
Bhaasvate sarvabhakshaaya raudraaya vapushhe nama. 19
Salutations to the Lord of Brahma, shiva and Achyuta, salutations
to the powerful and to the effulgence in the Sun that is both the
illuminator and devourer of all and is of a form that is fierce like Rudra.

Tamoghnaaya himagnaaya shatrughnaaya amitaatmane.
Kritaghnaghnaaya devaaya jyotishhaam pataye nama. 20
Salutations to he transcendental atman that dispels darkness,
drives away all fear, and destroys all foes. Salutations also to the annihilator
of the ungrateful and to the Lord of all the stellar bodies.

Tapta chaamiika raabhaaya haraye vishvakarmane. Namastamo.
abhinighnaaya ravaye lokasaakshine 21
Salutations to the Lord shining like molten gold, to the transcendental fire,
the fire of supreme knowledge, the architect of the universe, destroyer
of darkness and salutations again to the effulgence that is the Cosmic witness.

Naashayatyeshha vai bhuutam tadeva srijati prabhuuH.
Paayatyeshha tapatyeshha varshhatyeshha gabhastibhi. 22
Salutations to the Lord who destroys everything and creates them again.
Salutations to Him who by His rays consumes the waters, heats them
up and sends them down as rain.

Eshha supteshhu jaagarti bhuuteshhu parinishhthitah.
Eshha evaagnihotramcha phalam chaivaagnihotrinaam. 23
Salutations to the Lord who abides in the heart of all beings keeping awake
when they are asleep. He is both the sacrificial fire and the fruit
enjoyed by the worshippers.

Vedaashcha kratavashchaiva kratuunaam phalameva cha.
Yaani krityaani lokeshhu sarva eshha ravih prabhu. 24
The Sun is verily the Lord of all action in this universe. He is verily the vedas,
the sacrifices mentioned in them and the fruits obtained by
performing the sacrifices.

Phala stuti

Enamaapatsu krichchhreshhu kaantaareshhu bhayeshhu cha.
kiirttayanh purushhah kashchin naavasiidati raaghav. 25
Raghava, one who recites this hymn in times of danger, during an affliction
or when lost in the wilderness and having fear, he will not
lose heart (and become brave).

Puujayasvainamekaagro devadevam jagathpatimh.
Etat.h trigunitam japtvaa yuddheshhu vijayishhyas. 26
Raghava, worship this Lord of all Gods and the Universe with one-pointed
devotion. Recite this hymn thrice and you will win this battle.

Asminkshane mahaabaaho raavanam tvam vadhishhyasi.
Evamuktavaa tadaa.agastyo jagaama cha yathaagatam. 27
O mighty armed one, you shall truimph over Ravana this very moment.
Having spoken this, Agastya returned his original place. Raghava
became free from worry after hearing this.

Etachchhritvaa mahaatejaa nashhtashoko abhavattadaa.
Dhaarayaamaasa supriito raaghavah prayataatmavaan. 28
He was greatly pleased and became brave and energetic.

Aaadityam prekshya japtvaa tu param harshhamavaaptavaanh.
Triraachamya shuchirbhuutvaa dhanuraadaaya viiryavaan. 29
Gazing at the sun with devotion, He recited this hymn
thrice and experienced bliss.

Rraavanam prekshya hrushhtaatmaa yuddhaaya samupaagamath.
Sarva yatnena mahataa vadhe tasya dhritoabhavat. 30
Purifying Himself by sipping water thrice, He took up His bow
with His mighty arms. Seeing Ravana coming to fight, He put
forth all his effort with a determination to destroy Ravana.

Atha ravi ravadanam nirikshyam raama Muditamanaah paramam prahrishhyamaanah.
Nishicharapatisa nkshayam viditvaa Suragan amadhyagato vachastvaret. 31
Then knowing that the destruction of the lord of prowlers at night (Ravana)
was near, Aditya, who was at the center of the assembly of the Gods,
looked at Rama and exclaimed 'Hurry up' with great delight.
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #851 on: February 06, 2014, 05:47:42 AM »
Nagaraj/Friends,
Today is ratha saptami;thanks for the post on Aditya Hrudayam.
Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #852 on: February 07, 2014, 12:10:52 PM »

7th February, 2014: Bhishma Ashtami

This festival is associated with 'Bhishma Pitamaha, the legendary king of Mahabharata whom Lord Krishna praised as the Lord of the lords. Bhishmashtami ie Bhishma Ashtami,is the festival which is celebrated on the twenty-third day of Magha (Jan-Feb) and eighth lunar day of the light half (waxing phase of the moon).
Important part of this festival is the worship of the Pitris, the ancestors.It is the next day to Ratha Saptami.It is believed that Bhishma's soul departed on this day after the war of Kurukshetra came to an end. Bhishmashtami is dedicated to Bhishma, the son of Ganga, and great uncle of the Pandava and Kaurava.Bhishma died childless without any direct descendant.

On this day devotees take bath early in the morning,perform the pooja and observe the fast from sunrise to sunset.Being the 'Pitamaha', all the devotees come together and make religious offerings of Ganga-water, to his spirit.Sesamum seeds and boiled rice is offered to him.These rituals compensate the sins of the whole year.

This offering is given to the childless hero Bhishma of the race of Vyaghrapada. Then people pray saying, "May Bhishma, the son of Santanu, the speaker of truth and defeater of his passions, obtain by this water the oblations due by sons and grandsons."

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 08, 2014, 10:32:34 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Thank You Very much Sir, for beautiful gesture,by opening the thread Poems. With,also,wonderful poem "If".

With love and prayers,

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 09, 2014, 08:42:00 AM »
Jewell,
Yes,that is a wonderful,wise poem by Rudyard Kipling.I heard Roger Whittaker sing that as a song and was drawn to it and found that it was composed by Kipling.Thanks very much.
Namaskar.